watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Cardiff's luck will run out

Started by YoungsBitter, March 06, 2018, 11:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungsBitter

Cardiff scraped by Barnsley in 21st 2-1 and had 39% possession. They have to play Wolves at home and Norwich, Brentford, Villa and Derby away.
We had 64% against the team in 9th who have been in top 5 most of the season and we have beaten them and everyone else in the  division. So its up to us to beat Preston and Brentford and roll up everyone else. This team has a winning habit from outplaying everyone, regardless of whether they try and out press us (Blades tonight), kick us off the park ( Derby Saturday) or pass around us (Wolves and Villa). Cardiff are scraping results. My fear is more Villa so on one hand do I want Wolves to beat them or do I want them to win so Wolves are drawn in to a fight? I want Wolves to thump them and knock them off their stride while we slide on by....
Quark, strangeness and charm

ChesterTheTabby

I think we all just want the assurances of promotion, and if that means Wolves beat the teams competing with us for 2nd then that is great. That being said, if Wolves go on a horrific run and drop points drastically, then ostensibly we wouldn't be too bothered if they were dragged into the scrap and 1st/2nd were up for grabs. Whatever the outcome, this is our year...this team is a machine. Up next, PNE, and that is all we should focus on!
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Fernhurst

We did need someone to drop points tonight and guess what it was only Derby (and Sheffield United Lol)
Next Saturday is another massive game where someone  needs to blink first. Ten games to go.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I'm a bit torn.
On the one hand of course I want 2nd place but on the other I would
also like a trip over to see us at Wembley for the first time since 1975.
I flew over and back from Ramsar, Iran in 3 days.  Nah nah nah nah nah   :dft011: :dft004:
WE will skin every other team over 2 legs in the semis.

Now, where did I put my rattle

"Wear your colours"
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Woolly Mammoth

Assuming Wolves do not collapse to such an extent that they jeopardise their automatic place, and I very much doubt they will.
Then the second automatic place will be between Fulham and Villa.
Villa are good, but not as good as Fulham. Despite the fact that we need to win the vast majority of matches.
It is possible to claim that second spot. Not because of what took place last night. That performance and result highlighted where we are, and nobody can say that we haven't got what it takes to qualify for the Premier League.
As for Cardiff, not only do I feel that they are not good enough to finish second, I also feel that
they will fail via the play offs.
What I have seen, I feel that there are at least 4 teams in this League better than Cardiff, and one of them is Fulham FC.
I reckon the other 3 are Wolves, Villa and Middlesbrough, and some may say that even Derby are also better.
This Saturday we have another challenge, PNE, I will be pleased with any result up there, but we are capable, more than anyone of picking up three points.   
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

The next game is always the most important.
COYW!!!!

Mince n Tatties

Don't think they are where they are by being lucky.

ffc73

I do not see why Cardiff will stop winning. Frustrating as it is for us, they are on a tremendous run too. In their next 3 games they are at home to Birmingham & Burton.  In between they go to Derby who look the most likely at this time to drop out of the top 6. 7 or 9 points there for Cardiff. IMO

We have to keep winning just to maintain the gap at 5 points. And they have a game in hand.

Let's not go all Graeme Souness about this. The top 2 after 46 games will deserve to go up on merit. Whatever their style & margin of results.  Burton & Sunderland away, late conceded equalisers at home to Norwich, Middlesbrough & Cardiff. Water under the bridge but those dropped points of our own doing are hurting us now

davew

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on March 07, 2018, 06:47:01 AM
Don't think they are where they are by being lucky.
Nor me, maybe not the 2nd best football side in our Division but neither were Brighton and we know how their story finished.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

FulhamStu

But what a great position, it's 2 out of 4 for automatic and we are one of them.  Pressure on all other 3, we can just go for it.   Playoffs almost guaranteed with 10 games to go.  Who would have thought.  Oh and we are in best form ever with all players fit and relatively fresh.

davew

Quote from: FulhamStu on March 07, 2018, 07:37:24 AM
But what a great position, it's 2 out of 4 for automatic and we are one of them.  Pressure on all other 3, we can just go for it.   Playoffs almost guaranteed with 10 games to go.  Who would have thought.  Oh and we are in best form ever with all players fit and relatively fresh.
Exactly!!!!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

aaronmcguigan

One of the big fears was exhaustion/ burnout as there was a smaller and inexperienced squad.
Other than Sess, I don't see anyone who will burnout, and anyone who drops in form can easily be replaced.
we have players like Kamara, Norwood, Odoi, Christie who aren't first choice but we know hey can do a job/ fill in/ put pressure on the starting line up. Add to that, recent wonder performances have come from Cairney and Mitro who are only starting to play games for the first time regularly all season, they'll just keep improving

Twig

Quote from: Newry FFC on March 07, 2018, 07:52:48 AM
One of the big fears was exhaustion/ burnout as there was a smaller and inexperienced squad.
Other than Sess, I don't see anyone who will burnout, and anyone who drops in form can easily be replaced.
we have players like Kamara, Norwood, Odoi, Christie who aren't first choice but we know hey can do a job/ fill in/ put pressure on the starting line up. Add to that, recent wonder performances have come from Cairney and Mitro who are only starting to play games for the first time regularly all season, they'll just keep improving

After his recent performances I think Odoi should be first choice but you can add Kebano to your list of lightly used back up.

toshes mate

Like it always does do the table will change as matches progress.  Cardiff have undeniably been effective of late if not exactly playing the most attractive football. In the remaining two months of the season every game becomes more important for those at top and bottom of the table.  The most important thing for Fulham is to remain focused on the game they are currently playing and not be too fussed about what others may do.  Our average points per game over the last twenty games is 2.4 which, if we had kept it up from start to finish of the season, would have amassed 110 points.  Next up is a tricky game and we will need to be at our best.

Fernhurst

Let's not go all Graeme Souness about this. The top 2 after 46 games will deserve to go up on merit. Whatever their style & margin of results.  Burton & Sunderland away, late conceded equalisers at home to Norwich, Middlesbrough & Cardiff. Water under the bridge but those dropped points of our own doing are hurting us now

Very well put, it's nobody's fault but our own. This fantastic run is on the back of drafting in a couple of Premiership loanees with points to prove and our Captain dicking about during the transfer window.
Now we are on the charge and it's absolutely wonderful but we had half a season playing like a mid table team and we just can't expect the teams we are challenging now to give up their places easily.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Steven Ageroad

What do you mean by "our captain dicking about during the transfer window"? If it's what I think you mean then it was the press that were "dicking about"!

Carborundum

A Cardiff supporting colleague tells me that they have a midfield injury crisis as a result of last night's action, with three central midfielders out. Their last injury crisis yielded four straight losses.  Seemed a bit pessimistic, but there you are.  Hope springs eternal for us.

Can't help suspecting that each and every time Mr Warnock has got his teams promoted, they were viewed by many as being in a false position as the season wore on.  Evidence suggests Cardiff aren't and he's very talented.

Twig

Quote from: Fernhurst on March 07, 2018, 09:13:54 AM

Very well put, it's nobody's fault but our own. This fantastic run is on the back of drafting in a couple of Premiership loanees with points to prove and our Captain dicking about during the transfer window.
Now we are on the charge and it's absolutely wonderful but we had half a season playing like a mid table team and we just can't expect the teams we are challenging now to give up their places easily.

Sorry perhaps I am misunderstanding but what do you mean our "Captain dicking about"? And which transfer window? If you mean the Jan window that's nonsense, we lost our points earlier in the season, our turnaround in form had already started prior to that window so whilst the new signings have undoubtedly helped they are not the sole cause of our upturn.

WhiteJC

The entire Cardiff City team of injured outfield players and how it affects the drive for the Premier League
Bluebirds boss Neil Warnock coping with TEN injured players as he prepares for three more crunch games in eight days

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock is having to cope with injuries to an entire team of outfield players as he plots the Bluebirds' path towards the Premier League.

Warnock's men have three more crunch matches looming in the space of eight days as the relentless week in, week out grind of the Championship continues.

And the magnitude of the job Warnock is doing as manager is demonstrated further by a look at the extraordinary injury list he is having to contend with.

It contains 10 outfield players who are having treatment and may not be available for selection against Birmingham on Saturday.

It's not a bad little line-up in its own right, we're sure you will agree. It may lack the stardust of a Kenneth Zohore or Junior Hoilett, but Warnock would probably have this 'Cardiff City Injured Team' alone pushing for the top six.

BACK FOUR

Jazz Richards

The Wales international has had ankle problems this season. Played against Manchester City but hasn't been seen since.

Sean Morrison

Flare up of a groin injury meant he missed Barnsley and Bristol City. Warnock will hope to have him fit for Saturday, but it might be a patch-up job through necessity. A lack of midfield numbers mean Warnock may be forced to consider Sol Bamba further forward, so Morrison may have to return next to Bruno Manga.

Lee Peltier

Ankle problem and is not expected back for another month. Warnock likes his versatility as Peltier can play in either full-back position or the centre of defence.

Armand Traore

He looks a really talented player but a thigh strain is ruling him out of action and isn't likely to be fit until Burton at the end of the month.

MIDFIELD

Aron Gunnarsson

He has been a terrible miss, having not featured since limping off with an ankle problem in the 74th minute of a November 21 victory at Barnsley. Had surgery, but is back in training at last. Desperate to feature again and prove his fitness, so he can drive the Bluebirds into the top flight and lead Iceland into World Cup battle.

Joe Ralls

Warnock didn't explain the nature of his injury, but revealed his midfield kingpin is having a scan on Thursday. There are fears from Cardiff fans he could be absent for some time. We'll see.

Callum Paterson

Took a battering against Barnsley and went off because of a knee problem. Warnock is hoping he can feature against Birmingham. Cardiff need him and the goal threat he provides.

FRONT THREE

Jamie Ward

Hardly seen him since he came to Cardiff from Nottingham Forest. Picked up a groin injury early on his Bluebirds debut against Bolton. Due to play for under-23s on Thursday.

Gary Madine

Missed Barnsley game because of groin injury. Warnock hopeful he will be back for the weekend. Zohore appeared to be struggling in closing minutes of Tuesday night, so Warnock may want to freshen up the front-line... if, and it remains an if, Madine is fit.

Danny Ward

Out for the season with a knee ligament injury. A blow for Warnock, who was banking on 12 goals from Ward this season.

The current state of play at the top
Warnock will be counting the walking wounded and desperately hoping to patch some of them up for games against Birmingham (Sat), Brentford away (Tues) and then the trip to Derby (Sun).

Then it will be the international break, with Warnock hoping the extra time will give him as close to a full squad as possible for the final eight match run-in.

That begins with a home clash with Burton on March 30 and includes humdinger of games against promotion rivals Wolves (home) and Aston Villa (away).

By scraping over the line against Barnsley, Cardiff closed the gap on table-toppers Wolves to just three points before the gold and blacks played Leeds away on Wednesday night. As recently as February 3, the gap between the two teams was 16 points. That represents a dramatic closure.

Villa, in third, stayed within four points of Cardiff by smashing Sunderland on Tuesday night, whilst Fulham continued their march by thrashing Sheffield United at Craven Cottage. Cardiff are on 70 points, Villa 66 and Fulham 65.

Derby, on 61 points, slipped back after only drawing at QPR.

What's next?

Horrific injury list or not, Warnock will be looking for his Bluebirds to continue their momentum by beating Birmingham on Saturday. Fulham go to Preston, where they could easily drop points, whilst something will have to give when Villa host Wolves at tea-time.

On Tuesday night Cardiff, Villa and Wolves play their games in hand on Fullham.

The Bluebirds go to Brentford, Villa host QPR and Wolves meet Reading at Molineux.

On Saturday, Fulham (home to QPR), Wolves (home to Burton) and Villa (at Bolton), will fully expect to win. That will put pressure upon Cardiff, who go to Derby for a much sterner challenge the following afternoon.

At that stage the sides will have played 38 matches apiece. The international break then kicks in, teams will regroup and prepare for the final run-in.

Conclusion

On the evidence of Tuesday night versus Barnsley, this could be a slugfest for Cardiff City in the remaining weeks of the season. Not too many frills, but any Warnock team will be up for that challenge.

Rightly or wrongly, expectations have been raised. Pound for pound, the Bluebirds should not be in the promotion shake-up. Their football is not overly-aesthetic, they don't have the creative quality of big-spenders like Wolves and Villa, or Fulham's panache and firepower.

But Cardiff are damn effective, punching above their weight under Warnock because of defensive excellence, organisation, resilience and a sheer will to win. Plus the odd moment of magic from Zohore or Holiest.

Warnock will patch up the side for the next three games and hope, come the end of the international break, that he has as close to a fully-fit squad as possible.

It was always at this stage of the season, when injuries and suspensions bite, that Wolves and Villa would have the edge with the greater depth to their squads.

But Cardiff are hanging on in front and getting someone like Gunnarsson back, with his drive, inspiration, tenacity and leadership, will be akin to a multi-million pound signing.

The Iceland captain could yet be the one to drive the Bluebirds over the line. Warnock just wants to have a few options again, instead of having to patch up the walking wounded.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/entire-cardiff-city-team-injured-14377720

Denver Fulham

They may not play a style most of us on here prefer, but there's nothing "lucky" right now about Cardiff. They've been consistent and good since August, and have the same goal difference we have, even after our terrific run. The difference is they have held on to a couple more one-goal leads than we did earlier in the season.

It will take a lot -- us continuing to win, them stumbling a bit -- to catch them, but it's possible.