watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jokanovic is great ...but Fonte ??

Started by Baszab, March 17, 2018, 02:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mullers OG

I respect everyone's opinions on this message board.  We are all FFC supporters.  It is clear that many people have no time for Fonte as a footballer.  I happen to take a different view and regard him as a talented player and a real asset to the club.  Time will tell whether I am right.

We have all seen too many players who don't look the part at first but end up as fans' favourites - Hayles, Baird, Ream to name but three.  Even Zamora struggled at first.

Even if I'm proved wrong and Fonte never makes the grade I simply can't understand the mentality of those who barrack one of our own players.  All that does is help our opposition.

Twig

Quote from: Mullers OG on March 27, 2018, 05:23:22 PM
I respect everyone's opinions on this message board.  We are all FFC supporters.  It is clear that many people have no time for Fonte as a footballer.  I happen to take a different view and regard him as a talented player and a real asset to the club.  Time will tell whether I am right.

We have all seen too many players who don't look the part at first but end up as fans' favourites - Hayles, Baird, Ream to name but three.  Even Zamora struggled at first.

Even if I'm proved wrong and Fonte never makes the grade I simply can't understand the mentality of those who barrack one of our own players.  All that does is help our opposition.

He may have some talent but as yet I cannot see on what basis you can say that he is a real asset to the club?  His value is much lower than his signing fee so he is not a financial asset.  His goal scoring record is poor so not a match winning asset.  His link up play was not evident when needed against QPR,  Just how is he an asset?

BedsFFC

Quote from: Twig on March 27, 2018, 09:49:54 PM

He may have some talent but as yet I cannot see on what basis you can say that he is a real asset to the club?  His value is much lower than his signing fee so he is not a financial asset.  His goal scoring record is poor so not a match winning asset.  His link up play was not evident when needed against QPR,  Just how is he an asset?

Just give it a rest already. All of us on here understand that some of you do not rate Rui Fonte. We get it.

It's the manager that plays him and that has picked him 24 times to put on the white jersey this season. He played all of 10 minutes against qpr and will probably be gone next season.

He's got about 8 games left representing our club. How about we just wish the guy well and hope he leaves our club on a high note

davew

BedsFFC so your comment suggests you rate him then, ok we all see games differently. I agree with you that he will probably be moved on in the Summer window (probably on a loan deal, great business for FFC that will have been). I do wish him well and will be singing on a high note from the highest building in my local village (think that is the Church Spire), if that happens that could be an interesting follow up thread and 1 I might not be around to contribute to!_
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

ffcne

Quote from: BedsFFC on March 27, 2018, 10:05:37 PM

Just give it a rest already. All of us on here understand that some of you do not rate Rui Fonte. We get it.

It's the manager that plays him and that has picked him 24 times to put on the white jersey this season. He played all of 10 minutes against qpr and will probably be gone next season.

He's got about 8 games left representing our club. How about we just wish the guy well and hope he leaves our club on a high note
The evidence is there too see.Thats why i dont rate him .Since Mitrovic has come he has nt had a look in .So surely now the manager does'nt rate him .As you say played 24 times scored 3 goals 2 against burton one  a gift ,one he nearly mucked up.Enough evidence for me .

Twig

What do you mean "give it a rest".  You said he is an asset to the club, all I am asking is, in what way?  You made the claim. I'm only asking you to justify your statement.

Milo

We do have a habit on FoF of latching onto key phrases people use and jumping down their throats. Regardless of the general flavour of the post which is more important.

That said, I think the phrase "real asset" was misplaced given all the ingredients as Twig has said (cost, games played, performances, goals etc).

He did not decide his own transfer fee however. That was a club error. He can only play to the best of his ability and try hard which he is doing.

I think the majority of frustration shown on this thread is directed at the club's transfer decision rather than Fonte himself.

Carborundum

If the recoverable amount on his remaining contract is greater than zero, then he represents an asset to the club.  Less than his asset value on purchase and perhaps he is never going to be one of the best eleven players we have available to put on the pitch.  But an asset nonetheless.  So anyone who believes it will be possible to loan him out next season and receive a loan fee, implicitly believes he (being totally pedantic, his contract) is an asset.  Count me in that category.

BedsFFC

Quote from: Twig on March 28, 2018, 11:39:40 AM

What do you mean "give it a rest".  You said he is an asset to the club, all I am asking is, in what way?  You made the claim. I'm only asking you to justify your statement.

I said "Give it a rest". This means, I don't like FFC players getting a steady stream of negative comments on here. Rui probably gets more than the whole squad put together. He was singled out re the qpr game and played 11 minutes.

The point is, players almost certainly read these forums. It was clear Stefjo had.

Fine, have an opinion on  a player but once you've made your point, we don't need constant little digs at either player or fans who dare to stick up for him.

So, give it a rest.

In regards, Valuable asset. I did not say that

toshes mate

Whether or not Rui Fonte proves to be an asset for FFC over time remains to be seen but, IMO, he hasn't just taken his money, slunk off into a dark corner, and sulked which is more than I can say for some people when they are on the receiving end of verbal and literal exploitation.

Baszab

I just thought it was the wrong substitution at the time —- didn't expect all this !!!

davew

Quote from: Baszab on March 28, 2018, 04:07:08 PM
I just thought it was the wrong substitution at the time —- didn't expect all this !!!
(LOL)

HV71

Beds FFC is right please just give it a rest. You continually say it's not personal but just can't let it go . We all know you don't rate him - fine - but don't turn into a Cornish nasty !

davew

Quote from: HV71 on March 29, 2018, 08:54:00 PM
Beds FFC is right please just give it a rest. You continually say it's not personal but just can't let it go . We all know you don't rate him - fine - but don't turn into a Cornish nasty !
(LOL), please don't single me out, if indeed I am your intended target? I don't think BedsFFC was in fact replying directly to my comment, perhaps there are more Fulham Fans living in Cornwall than I know about, at the moment I only know of 2, Sid and myself! I would agree that I don't rate (you know who at all), maybe 60 years + of following football allows me to form an opinion, but you are right it does get boring not just reading my similar comments about the same player but also by the many others on here who have the same opinion. The best options to prevent this from reoccurring are not to select him again or give him yet another chance and if he produces something near to the standard in what is expected from him for the fee that was paid, we will all shut up and we will give it a rest! I will wait with baited breath!