watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-We are Fulham

Started by bog, March 19, 2018, 09:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

After so many years of being Fulham I was certain we would lose at Sunderland....as  am I sure many others felt likewise. Then, after that nonsense, whoever would have thought we would then  go unbeaten in the league for 16 games? The best unbeaten run in the club's long history? Typical Fulham I feel.  049:gif

Thank you and good night

092.gif   

Twig

Quote from: bog on March 19, 2018, 09:44:37 PM
After so many years of being Fulham I was certain we would lose at Sunderland....as  am I sure many others felt likewise. Then, after that nonsense, whoever would have thought we would then  go unbeaten in the league for 16 games? The best unbeaten run in the club's long history? Typical Fulham I feel.  049:gif

Thank you and good night

092.gif   

I don't want to be pedantic but it is well short of the best unbeaten run in the club's history. That achievement dates back to the 1890's.  I am notsure from memory 1896-97 or close and I think it was a considerably longer run, 20+?  Anyhow I stand to be corrected because it was before even my time as a supporter!

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: Twig on March 19, 2018, 11:17:05 PM
Quote from: bog on March 19, 2018, 09:44:37 PM

Thank you and good night

092.gif   

I don't want to be pedantic but it is well short of the best unbeaten run in the club's history. That achievement dates back to the 1890's.  I am notsure from memory 1896-97 or close and I think it was a considerably longer run, 20+?  Anyhow I stand to be corrected because it was before even my time as a supporter!

I mean it's the best run in over a century. Can't be all bad.

Jonaldiniho 88

I'm not even an old sod. Getting there mind you

Forever Fulham

1896?  Jesus, Twig.  Let's stick to the modern era.  Like, since WWII. 

Peabody

However, we were not a FL club then.

bog

I stand erected er corrected.  :doh: 1896? That is even before me. Please amend to a very long time indeed.

092.gif   

Jamie88

Quote from: Forever Fulham on March 20, 2018, 02:20:02 AM

I still think that  although it was a ridiculously long time ago, these sorts of records should be respected. It annoys me when things like this get disregarded if it was before 1945. The club had been professional since 1898 and playing first class football from 1903 and yet we just want to ignore the hundreds of players and matches that have played/been played at the Cottage. One example - Jim Stannard frequently gets mentioned as the goalkeeper with the most appearances for the club, yet it was Arthur Reynolds who played at the club from 1910-1925 yet 99% of Fulham fans have possibly never even heard of him.

bog

Quote from: Jamie88 on March 20, 2018, 10:31:51 AM
Quote from: Forever Fulham on March 20, 2018, 02:20:02 AM

I still think that  although it was a ridiculously long time ago, these sorts of records should be respected. It annoys me when things like this get disregarded if it was before 1945. The club had been professional since 1898 and playing first class football from 1903 and yet we just want to ignore the hundreds of players and matches that have played/been played at the Cottage. One example - Jim Stannard frequently gets mentioned as the goalkeeper with the most appearances for the club, yet it was Arthur Reynolds who played at the club from 1910-1925 yet 99% of Fulham fans have possibly never even heard of him.

:plus one:

I have to say I based my posting on reading in the paper.

toshes mate

Quote from: Jamie88 on March 20, 2018, 10:31:51 AM
Well said, especially so as if it wasn't for all the things that happened ridiculously long times ago, none of us would be here.

filham

!6 games is a great run without a defeat and while we musn't discard all that old, old data I am still more interested in how long it will now last than how far we have to go back to beat it.

I feel the run must end soon, we came pretty  close to it on Saturday. Not sure if the pending defeat is best to come sooner now or later.

bog

As it was this scruffy old sod who started this off I have checked the records. I did not wish to appear one who does not respect the older records. If Frank Newton's goal record ever goes, for me, it will be with a mixture of sadness and elation as we must be doing very well but a big name from our history would be affected. Mind you I cannot see that record going in the near future.

Our longest unbeaten League record stands at 22. This from the 27th March 1897 to the 10th September 1898. My bible, 'Fulham A Complete Record 1879-1987' starts off from 1898-99. We won the first game of 1898/99 away to Maidenhead 3-0 (Alexander (2) Ives) for number 22 in the run and then that came to an end in a home 1-4 defeat to....Brentford. There is no record of the previous 21 matches. I only found this out by way of asking the internet.  So this record has now stood for 120 years. I wonder if this is a record in itself.

092.gif

Jamie88

Quote from: bog on March 21, 2018, 02:54:55 PM
As it was this scruffy old sod who started this off I have checked the records. I did not wish to appear one who does not respect the older records. If Frank Newton's goal record ever goes, for me, it will be with a mixture of sadness and elation as we must be doing very well but a big name from our history would be affected. Mind you I cannot see that record going in the near future.

Our longest unbeaten League record stands at 22. This from the 27th March 1897 to the 10th September 1898. My bible, 'Fulham A Complete Record 1879-1987' starts off from 1898-99. We won the first game away to Maidenhead 3-0 (Alexander (2) Ives) for number 22 and then lost our run in a home 1-4 defeat to....Brentford. There is no record of the previous 21 matches. I only found this out by way of asking the internet.  So this record has stood for 120 years.

092.gif

There is a record of the previous 21 matches, in a couple of publications - 'Fulham:The Complete Record 1879-2007' by Dennis Turner, 'Fulham Facts & Figures' by Dennis Turner & Alex White and 'Fulham F.C. The Early Years' by Alex White - They all go back as far as 1896-97 season and in the latter book there are even lineups and scores of every match known of prior to 1896-97. A bit of a book nerd you see, especially when it comes to all things Fulham :)

bog

Quote from: Jamie88 on March 21, 2018, 08:00:57 PM
Quote from: bog on March 21, 2018, 02:54:55 PM

Our longest unbeaten League record stands at 22. This from the 27th March 1897 to the 10th September 1898. My bible, 'Fulham A Complete Record 1879-1987' starts off from 1898-99. We won the first game away to Maidenhead 3-0 (Alexander (2) Ives) for number 22 and then lost our run in a home 1-4 defeat to....Brentford. There is no record of the previous 21 matches. I only found this out by way of asking the internet.  So this record has stood for 120 years.

092.gif

There is a record of the previous 21 matches, in a couple of publications - 'Fulham:The Complete Record 1879-2007' by Dennis Turner, 'Fulham Facts & Figures' by Dennis Turner & Alex White and 'Fulham F.C. The Early Years' by Alex White - They all go back as far as 1896-97 season and in the latter book there are even lineups and scores of every match known of prior to 1896-97. A bit of a book nerd you see, especially when it comes to all things Fulham :)

I share your status as a book nerd, much to my wife's annoyance, I have one by the same two Dennis and Alex, 1879-1998 and they show the results season 1896/97 onwards. 1897/98 was in the London League div 2 and we were unbeaten in the league for the full 18 matches. (A player named Freeman scored 23 goals in 16 games...surely not Darren?) The first game of the following season was won but then the run came to an end. As the last game of 1896/97 shows a loss then, to me, this makes the run 19. Have I missed something? No doubt I have....