watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Boat Race

Started by SP, March 23, 2018, 07:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernhurst

Thank you Charlie for finding this quite marvellous and evocative photograph. Brings back so many memories.
My memory does play tricks these days and I wondered if that photo did actually exist, it is a considerable chunk of time since I last saw it.
Thanks again.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I may be mistaken, but I believe that at one time the Oxford v Cambridge football match was played at Craven Cottage the same day as the boat race, if that was possible.

As one of the 'golden oldies' brought up in Fulham it is astonishing how little attention is now paid to the race and build up weeks.

Yes, BBC and Madam Balding gave it overkill on the day in front of massive crowds all along the course, but going back to the late 1940s/50s, certainly in Fulham and Putney it was tradition to support one or the other and from a boy I was Cambridge.

Small woolley mascots and crossed oars rosettes in their colours were sold in North End Road and you would see many people wearing them

There were no portable radios so during the race two flags moved up and down on the Putney boathouse flagpole indicating who was in the lead.

Strange how times change.

filham

Quote from: gezkc on March 24, 2018, 01:27:11 PM
I don't really see the appeal of the boat race personally, but if the club can make a little money out of it, fair play to them.
[/quote
Quote from: St Eve on March 24, 2018, 01:51:13 PM
Quote from: gezkc on March 24, 2018, 01:27:11 PM
I don't really see the appeal of the boat race personally, but if the club can make a little money out of it, fair play to them.
it's tradition
t is not really a race more of a parade. Can anyone remember when the team that was in the lead at the Cottage failed to  win.
Cn anyone remember a occasion when the team that

snarks

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on March 25, 2018, 01:40:01 PM
I may be mistaken, but I believe that at one time the Oxford v Cambridge football match was played at Craven Cottage the same day as the boat race, if that was possible.

As one of the 'golden oldies' brought up in Fulham it is astonishing how little attention is now paid to the race and build up weeks.

Yes, BBC and Madam Balding gave it overkill on the day in front of massive crowds all along the course, but going back to the late 1940s/50s, certainly in Fulham and Putney it was tradition to support one or the other and from a boy I was Cambridge.

Small woolley mascots and crossed oars rosettes in their colours were sold in North End Road and you would see many people wearing them

There were no portable radios so during the race two flags moved up and down on the Putney boathouse flagpole indicating who was in the lead.

April 2014 was the last time the football match was at CC and the boat race afterwards.

I was there. (supporting Oxford)

Fernhurst

, certainly in Fulham and Putney it was tradition to support one or the other and from a boy I was Cambridge.

Stoneleigh; I have always been so thankful I was born in Fulham but we moved out to the sticks when I was quite young, but Fulham traditions were maintained and your post reminded me of how much The Boat Race was a big deal in our house. All my family were Oxford so I settled for Cambridge.

Thanks for the reminder, oh those glorious days in black and white.

The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Holders

The boat race used to be held on match-days and would, depending on tide times, pass behind the riverside terrace (later stand) during the game.  It was possible to follow the boats behind the football spectators or, in later years, get a glimpse in the gap between the new stand and the Hammersmith end. Later, the main race ceased to coincide with first team games but you could still see it if you went to the reserve game.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

ffcne

Quote from: RaySmith on March 23, 2018, 08:11:04 PM
I do remember rushing up to back of the riverside terracing to watch it go by.
I think it was during a reserve game.
No riverside when i used to watch it .
Just an open terrace

ffcne

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on March 25, 2018, 01:40:01 PM

Still have my Oxford rosette.