watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Boat Race

Started by SP, March 23, 2018, 07:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

The Official reports all 1,200 tickets have been sold. I didn't realise we accommodated so many.  At £5 a pint/Pimms it must be a nice earner for us. Seems incredible we used to watch it free, don't remember much of a crowd for the race back then.

RaySmith

I do remember rushing up to back of the riverside terracing to watch it go by.
I think it was during a reserve game.

David Allen Crankshaw

I also remember the crowd rushing to see the boats go along the river. We were playing Kilmarnock in a friendly. The only things I can remember about the match was that we won 3-1 and we had a chap called Don Kerrigan playing for us.

The Enclosurite

Imagine how much money the new stand will make on boat race day when it's built!  I bet the residents wont object to standing underneath it that day and using all it's facilities.
¡COYW!

Andy S

Especially when it is peeing down with rain

FFCpmd

Quote from: David Allen Crankshaw on March 23, 2018, 08:25:06 PM
I also remember the crowd rushing to see the boats go along the river. We were playing Kilmarnock in a friendly. The only things I can remember about the match was that we won 3-1 and we had a chap called Don Kerrigan playing for us.

...there was a great photo of this game in a later matchday programme (must be out there somewhere), showing the game in progress and virtually the entire crowd at the rear of the riverside stand with their backs to the match! 

Woolly Mammoth

I am at a loss as to understand how both Oxford and Cambridge reach the Final again this year. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

alfie

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 24, 2018, 01:09:16 AM
I am at a loss as to understand how both Oxford and Cambridge reach the Final again this year.
They are just so good, they dispense other opponents that don't exist.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ron

Quote from: alfie on March 24, 2018, 08:08:21 AM
Only people called Tarquin and Rupert are allowed to enter, as we have heard before...

Holders

Before they built the Riverside Stand you could see it easily during matches, then they changed it so that it only coincided with reserve games - no idea why.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Yamus

When the new stand has been built will they have to swerve to the other side to miss it?

SP

Quote from: Yamus on March 24, 2018, 10:10:17 AM
When the new stand has been built will they have to swerve to the other side to miss it?

Not sure if that would put them on a collision course with the endangered snails?

mrmicawbers

We always seemed to be on the New TV when the boat race was on back in the day.

Lighthouse

It is always a big event and one that was always fun to watch either on tv or there. I remember leaving The Cottage one Saturday and walking to the river to see the boats race past. But I have no idea when this was. In the days when our crowds were no threat to the gathering boat race audience I suppose.

No member of my family has ever been to any University but the race was always an occasion. I do hope I live long enough to see this reverse snobbishness that seems to creep in more and more come to an end. But I doubt it. Haters gotta hate.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

mrmicawbers

I remember before the Licensing laws changed,that boat race day meant you could drink all day.Rude not to take advantage.

Twig

Quote from: ron on March 24, 2018, 08:22:32 AM
Quote from: alfie on March 24, 2018, 08:08:21 AM
Only people called Tarquin and Rupert are allowed to enter, as we have heard before...

How sad

gezkc

I don't really see the appeal of the boat race personally, but if the club can make a little money out of it, fair play to them.

St Eve

Quote from: gezkc on March 24, 2018, 01:27:11 PM
I don't really see the appeal of the boat race personally, but if the club can make a little money out of it, fair play to them.
it's tradition

Fernhurst

Reminds me of Speedway, all over by the first bend.

The Star and Garter opposite Bishops Park was a haunt for South London villians back in the 60's

My brother used to watch the race from there....... hmmmmm

Come on you light blues ........ permanent underdogs these days
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

cmg

Quote from: FFCpmd on March 23, 2018, 09:34:18 PM
Quote from: David Allen Crankshaw on March 23, 2018, 08:25:06 PM

...there was a great photo of this game in a later matchday programme (must be out there somewhere), showing the game in progress and virtually the entire crowd at the rear of the riverside stand with their backs to the match! 

Thanks to the fabulous >http://www.fulhamfootballprogrammes.co.uk/< website.

At least Ian Seymour remained concentrated on the game.

I noticed that Kilmarnock featured Gerry Queen at centre-forward. He later moved south to Crystal Palace, where, joyously, he was sent off for fighting in a game at Selhurst Park thus enabling one of my favourite newspaper headlines - "Queen In Brawl At Palace".