https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ryan Sessegnon

Started by cmg, March 27, 2018, 05:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmg

Sess (11) starts for England v Ukraine
6.00 ko  BTSport1

Team captained by Demarai Gray. At u18, u19 level this very fine young player was very much 2nd string to and often kept out of the squad by the 4 month older Patrick Roberts. ??

filham

Quote from: cmg on March 27, 2018, 05:53:05 PM
6.00 ko  BTSport1

Team captained by Demarai Gray. At u18, u19 level this very fine young player was very much 2nd string to and often kept out of the squad by the 4 month older Patrick Roberts. ??

Not at all surprised that Roberts kept Sess. out of a team. I rated Roberts so highly, as I see it he is the best we have seen at the Cottage since Haynes. It will be very interesting to see how Sess. and Roberts have progressed in four years time.

If, last season Sess had moved to one of the big clubs he would be adrift in a backwater somewhere playing junior football.

grandad

England 1 up at half time. As usual the BBC ignore the youngsters in their poor reporting.
Where there's a will there's a wife

cmg

Just to be clear, Roberts kept Gray out of the age-group team, or, at least was rated higher than he.

I agree that Roberts was utterly outstanding at an early age. Now his progress seems to have stalled a bit, due to injuries and one or two other things.
I still think he will come good, although I watched him play for Celtic last week and it struck me that you know what he will do. he will embarrass his man on the right, cut in and (try to) curl a left footer into the top far corner. He hit the bar on this occasion, but he can still do it. I just wonder if he can do anything else.

In a small way of business Ryan has already overtaken him as Roberts has yet to be capped at u21.

davew

How many games did Roberts play for us? I liked him but not as much as Sess who plays almost every match, the lad is going to be a super star as long as 1 of the top 6 don't sign him and then send him out on loan!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

grandad

If we still had Roberts I would not pick him over anyone we now have.
Where there's a will there's a wife

davew

Quote from: grandad on March 27, 2018, 08:12:13 PM
Nor me apart from the 1 player I really don't rate...no need to mention his name again! Looking at the forecast there is a heatwave where you are? I am out in Alicante in May for a week.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Southcoastffc

Quote from: filham on March 27, 2018, 06:55:43 PM
Quote from: cmg on March 27, 2018, 05:53:05 PM
6.00 ko  BTSport1

Not at all surprised that Roberts kept Sess. out of a team. I rated Roberts so highly, as I see it he is the best we have seen at the Cottage since Haynes. It will be very interesting to see how Sess. and Roberts have progressed in four years time.

If, last season Sess had moved to one of the big clubs he would be adrift in a backwater somewhere playing junior football.
Really the best?  Dembele the First? Malbranque?
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Milo

Didn't see the game but no media reaction post U21 game for Sess. Not even a mention on the main paper websites. Anyone see the game? What did they think?

Im beginning to think Sess is now long overdue a REST.

cmg

Odd sort of game. England won, and could have won by a few more had it not been for some poor finishing, despite being outplayed for long periods.

No idea what they were doing with Sess. Started off playing a sort of tucked-in position on the left. One or two nice touches but didn't get anywhere. They switched him to the right in the second half where he was generally ignored.

He looked a bit lost to me but you would need a tactical expert with a far greater depth of understanding than me to explain what was going on.

The good news is that he walked off the field at the end looking fit and well and with all limbs intact. 

Milo

Quote from: cmg on March 28, 2018, 12:21:36 AM
Odd sort of game. England won, and could have won by a few more had it not been for some poor finishing, despite being outplayed for long periods.

No idea what they were doing with Sess. Started off playing a sort of tucked-in position on the left. One or two nice touches but didn't get anywhere. They switched him to the right in the second half where he was generally ignored.

He looked a bit lost to me but you would need a tactical expert with a far greater depth of understanding than me to explain what was going on.

The good news is that he walked off the field at the end looking fit and well and with all limbs intact. 

So some odd tactics from management means the hype gets put on the back burner for now.

Good news or bad news depending on whether you think it's inevitable he will go this summer. Few million falls off the price tag... for now.

aaronmcguigan

Didn't really understand where he was asked to play, other than on the right from 30/40 mins in. Had linked up well with chilwell well early on on the left before going to the right. Clear tactic from the team to play down the left most of the match leaving him ignored then when he came into a he centre to get involved they exposed him on the right . He was clearly struggling yet they took off other attacking players and left him where he was . Odd, with the way he played or with the way the tactics exposed him I would have changed things up or subbed him off, but they persisted.

Matt10

They needed to get Gray involved, so they swapped wings so Gray could cut inside and look for shots. Sess didn't necessarily look lost, he was very well marked by the LB and LM. Davies couldn't find him because Davies isn't as creative as Madison. Sess' runs were used as a decoy, which brought in Gray and Calvert-Lewin more often. I think if Gray weren't on the pitch, Sess would have stayed on the left, and we'd see him more as he and Chilwell were combining nicely early on.

Fernhurst

Quote from: Milo on March 27, 2018, 11:24:13 PM
Didn't see the game but no media reaction post U21 game for Sess. Not even a mention on the main paper websites. Anyone see the game? What did they think?

Im beginning to think Sess is now long overdue a REST.

The reporters from Sky had Sess at 5 out of 10 for his performance whereas Maddison was rated 8 out of 10
Let's hope the hype subsides a bit now.
Ady Bothroyd was very complimentary after the game, saying " We didn't know how good he was until we worked with him this week. Now we realise and are looking forward to working with him in the future".
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

hovewhite

I guess first game needs time for player and management to get to know each other.

KJS

Wasn't played in a role that suits him had to stay wide which is not what he does at club level I thought 6/10 at least

toshes mate

I think Aidy Boothroyd's comments seem to echo what SJ has been saying about Ryan for most of this season and last that he is so good it becomes less easy to arrange a side, position and tactics that can accommodate all his skills.  He is also a very grounded, undemanding young man.  In other words he is already in that place between England's senior best and their junior best.  I also think we can deduce from much of the young man's recent play for us that he is on a learning plateau at the moment which is what anyone learning a skill encounters every so often as they develop.   Give him a little more time and he will show us just what new stuff he is learning as he goes.  I think he could be explosive for us at Carrow Road. 

filham

Cover for an injured Cairney possibly.

Milo

Quote from: filham on March 28, 2018, 12:16:59 PM
Cover for an injured Cairney possibly.

Surely he'd be competition for the other wing! Ayite/Piazons place.

keith

Quote from: davew on March 27, 2018, 08:14:08 PM
Nor me apart from the 1 player I really don't rate...no need to mention his name again! Looking at the forecast there is a heatwave where you are? I am out in Alicante in May for a week.
Torrevieja is, currently, 21 Degrees. Very nice.Mind you, the Tourists are out in just Shorts and open toed Sandals.