News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Welcome to the Steel City, beat the pigs!

Started by Blade in Peace, April 07, 2018, 09:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade in Peace

In the highly likely event you haven't come across me, I'm a Sheffield united fan who was somewhat enamoured by Fulham and the style of football, after my first trip to the cottage earlier this season. As today you face our nearest and not so dearest neighbours, I thought I'd take the opportunity to share a few observations on the game and also offer a warm welcome to the fantastic Steel City.

Firstly I wish you luck today, the petulant side of me would love to see a talented team like yourselves tear Wednesday apart. Additionally I'd like to see you take 3 points and take the fight to Cardiff and push for an automatic spot. On a brief side note; I thought Cardiff looked really poor against ourselves earlier this week, and were very fortunate to  even take a point. Anyway, back to today's game. On paper this should be an away banker; the league's form side travelling to one of the leagues strugglers, who have a poor record in front of their own increasingly frustrated fan base. However, there are signs that Wednesday are on the road to recovery and that they won't be the push-over's they have been previously. They have won their past 3 games, including wins against play off chasing Preston and Yorkshire rivals Leeds (even I was pleased by this), and they suddenly have some big players returning from injury. For those of you who haven't followed Wednesday's season they have been absolutely plagued with injuries this year with big earners such as: Foresteri, Westwood, Bannan, Fletcher, Hooper, Hutchinson, etc, etc, all facing long periods out injured. However Foresteri and Bannan now seem to be recovered and will be starting, potentially with Foresteri featuring.  Essentially, despite the disappointing season, it is worth remembering that they were one of the early season favourites for promotion, and they do have a large budget in this division. They also have a unlikely striker partnership forming in two strikers who many Wednesday fans had written off at the start of the season. Atdhe Nuhiu and Lucas Joao, both seem to be in and amongst the goals of late. Nuhiu is a giant of a man, seriously strong but arguably better with his feet than his head, like a lot of big strikers he can't really jump but is a real handful. Joao is quick, strong, capable of something special, but woefully incontinent. I still think you'll have what it takes to continue the great form, just don't expect it to be as easy, timing isn't great for you here.

For those of you who have never made the trip to Sheffield, enjoy it. It's a great city. Sheffield isn't the prettiest of City centres, but its friendly, has many great pubs, and the local ale is superb. We have managed to become something of a centre for small independent breweries and many pubs will feature ale from great little brewers. If you are coming in by train there are a couple of obvious pubs that are always huge away pubs. The Sheffield Tap is in the station, has a great choice of beer and is worth grabbing a pint in. Across from the station the Howard is always popular, but is a bang average pub with okay beer from big national brewers. A 10 minute walk from the station (towards the hallowed turf of Bramall Lane) is the Sentinel; a pub and small brewery in an old shop, great beer and decent snacks too. A further 10 minute walk is the Beer engine, lovely little pub with fab beer. If you want to stay more on the beaten track, head up towards Division Street, where there are a number of pubs, including a decent sports bar in Common Room and you are then very close to Tram stops to take you up to Hillsborough. Personally I wouldn't venture up there to drink, not great choice and not much for away fans. On route however is Kelham Island, a great area of real ale pubs that sits between Hillsborough and the city centre, jump in a taxi outside  the station, 10 minutes and probably about  £6 later you'll discover old pubs and good brewery.
Pubs tend to be okay with away fans, but they can be funny if wearing colours, so as usual cover up. One further thing to consider; especially if you are either getting in to Sheffield early, or hanging about after the game, Sheffield United take on Barnsley in a 12:15 KO. Expect the station to be busy, a massive police turn out and there is always potential for trouble, it being a local derby.
That aside, enjoy my home city. Good luck, batter those pigs for us!   

Cheers
Steve

Twig

Cheers Steve and I hope we deliver for you. One of my daughters went to uni at Sheffield and I know the city quite well.  It's a fascinating place; industrial heritage, surrounded by beautiful countryside, great beer including some nice micro breweries, friendly people etc. What's not to like?

SP

Thanks Steve.  Joao, the 'woefully incontinent' striker sounds messy!  049:gif

cookieg

Quote from: Twig on April 07, 2018, 09:34:02 AM
Cheers Steve and I hope we deliver for you. One of my daughters went to uni at Sheffield and I know the city quite well.  It's a fascinating place; industrial heritage, surrounded by beautiful countryside, great beer including some nice micro breweries, friendly people etc. What's not to like?

Sheffield Wednesday apparently!!

Cornishnick

Correct about the beers Mr Blade. If you arrive with little time to enjoy the foaming ale, the tram stop at the station takes you direct to the ground - you want the blue route tram destination Malin Bridge.
My first sight of our boys for nearly 3 years so really revved up for this. Hope Mr Joao has some poop scoop bags with him, will the ref add on extra time while he cleans it up?  :005:

Mullers OG

Something a bit iffy about the incontinent striker -  better not mark too tight

Blade in Peace

Oops. Jaoao maybe incontinent, I assume he'd just wear an adult nappy, then again the pitch may benefit from natural fertiliser. 

Obviously I meant woefully inconsistent. 

JoelH5

Top post Steve. Great to see fans from other clubs can get on and have a civilised chat together!  :plus one:
I was there, standing in the Putney end