watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Singing in the Riverside

Started by FFChris, April 11, 2018, 10:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFChris

If you were the guy who tried to get the Riverside singing just before half time last night I salute you.  I was one of the ten or so who joined in but it was like flogging a dead horse.   :dead horse:

Why don't those in blocks S & T, where I sit, join in?  We're not asking you to jump up and down......just join in the singing and get behind the boys.  There were several people around me quick enough to raise their voice to tell everyone that nobody in the area will sing because their all dead but none of them joined in the singing.  They're also quick enough to voice their displeasure when things are not going to plan on the pitch but obviously don't realise that getting behind the team has a positive impact on the players.

Towards the end last night, maybe 2 minutes left, when most were getting behind the team there were maybe 50 people in my block standing and cheering the team home.  The guy behind me asked me to sit down!!!!!!  Could you not have stood and joined in for the last two minutes? 

The vocal support was great at times last night but could be sooooo much better.  Time for us Riverside supporters to step up!

COYW's

Robbie

Good point. I have just moved my ST from RS to Hammy.

Frankly partly due to the ridiculous difference in prices BUT also the RS is very, very quiet these days.

If we go up it will be packed full of "fair weather" fans again.

bill taylors apprentice

I moved from the Riverside to the HE 2 seasons ago mainly due to being able to get out quicker as I have to get to Kings Cross asap to catch my train back up north.

I was never really happy in the Riverside for all the reasons already mentioned but put up with it because that's were all my mates sat and wouldn't move.

I know many long time and dedicated FFC fans in the Riverside but I'm sorry to say being in the HE is like being in a proper football crowd while I've seen and heard more passion from crowds at Cricket or Tennis matches than the Riverside.

Jimpav

Why would you sit in the riverside though and expect anyone to sing?

It's been quiet  as long as anyone can remember, and I don't expect it will change if the new stand gets built.

Having sat in the riverside on occasions, I sympathise with you, but you are flogging a dead horse.

BedsFFC

It's a weird place. I understand that the majority just want to sit quietly watching the game but when things aren't going the best it is the first place that moans at stray passes and boos at half time etc.

I took a quick peek at Reading fans. Below are some of the comments made. I think many of these comments are based on the fact that away fans are right next to the Riverside. I think that is entirely what the unfair criticism of our support is based on

Jesus, as much as I love CC, if that is it 'rocking' there's no way I could cope with going there every week.
Royality creeps In
Re: Opposition fans back from the game  by Royality creeps In » 11 Apr 2018 10:02
Bloody Hell.
If thats rocking whats it like normally?

Don't ever let anyone tell you that the Mad Stad is a morgue. If you want peace and quiet without excitement go to the Cottage

Fulham Joe

Yes, because those in the Hammersmith end sing so much, that the one time we heard a peep out of them, the handful of  Reading fans started singing "We forgot that you were here"
I go in the Riverside stand, because I've almost reached 60 years of age and I want to watch my football in my own way. If I wanted to sing, I'd join a choir.

Lighthouse

People pay for their ticket. They should be allowed to do wtf they like including sitting down, knitting a tea cosy, ignoring the game completely but being able to see the match if they want to without people jumping up and singing, thinking that they in any way are part of the reason the club wins matches.

Who cares what others do? Try and do what you want to do without hurting those around you. I remember I applauded a defenders play and was criticised by a fan for applauding my own side because the player had just been in the right place at the right time. For Gods sake let others enjoy the game in their own way. It is those criticising other fans that come over as miserable.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

gezkc

I often sit in the Riverside and, while you get a great view of the game, framed by the Cottage and Johnny Haynes stands opposite you, it really is completely devoid of atmosphere.
It's a bit like being in a library, where it feels wrong to even raise your voice above a whisper. Even shouting "Come on Fulham" makes you feel like you're disrupting the peace!
It's a shame, but I'm not sure what the solution is. Perhaps lowering the prices?

filham

I was pleased to see that most of us oldies in the JH stand performed well last night and I think we made it known that we were doing our bit.

We will be sure to get the WD40) worked into the old joints on Friday night ready for all the stand ups that will be needed against Brentford on Saturday.

hovewhite

I sit in the Riverside , whilst also being very vocal in my support and no one joins in apart from the guy next to me,but we will carry on with our vocal support as always.coyw

HV71

This is very interesting............... we sit in block X in the riverside and I can tell you that the row in front and behind do sing and all stood up with two minutes to go last night. Admittedly we never start the chanting  - but when we can actually hear the chants emanating from either the Hammy end or JH stand we do join in. That is when we hear them .........which isn't all that often to be honest .Obviously given the situation of our seats we hear more from the visiting end which tends to drown out the impact of our own support. There are very few moaners - most are positive and vocal. The mix of ages is also interesting - from early twenties up to 60 odd ( like myself). Maybe it won't improve with the new stand but it might if the acoustics improve

bobbo

Got to admit I've sat in the riverside 40years + and I don't sing but join in with some chants. It's true to say many around me don't, but the euphoria throughout the ground that was the last 15-20 mins of the game made a big difference to how the players played - better - IMO.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Fulham Joe

I have to say, that nowadays I do just prefer to watch the game in relative peace
People shouting "Come on Fulham" or something similar, is not a problem for me, but when you're sat in front of some expert who starts shouting "Hold it" "Lump it" or "Slow it down" it all becomes a bit embarrassing as far as I'm concerned. I had it last night, and I mean, does the bloke thing the players can hear him?
Obviously back in my younger days I was always in the Hammersmith end, and in those days I'm sure we used to make some sort of noise. Last night (as usual) I heard next to nothing from there.

notonfire1226

lets give it our all against brentford.  . we have to give the boys everything

terryr

I was sitting in the riverside and two people behind me engaged in a work conversation for most of the game.
It really did my head in
Why wee they even there???!

Riversider

I was one of those stood up in Block S last night for the last few minutes last night, good wasn't it ? Nobody died, nobody got hurt ,
I think everybody can stand for 5 minutes surely, more of the same on Saturday please !
⚫⚪⚫⚪⚫⚪⚫⚪⚫⚪⚫⚪⚫⚪⚫⚪⚫⚪⚫⚪⚫⚪👍⚽️🍻

Burt

The Times report said that our support last night was "passionate"...  051

PhilEsh

Quote from: Robbie on April 11, 2018, 10:27:24 AM
Good point. I have just moved my ST from RS to Hammy.

Frankly partly due to the ridiculous difference in prices BUT also the RS is very, very quiet these days.

If we go up it will be packed full of "fair weather" fans again.

I have a seat in the RS, and have sat in the same seat for around 17 years. A lot of the people around us have been there for a long time too. I think the reason why people don't sing is because they're embarrassed. I've seen people close by to us, who on away days have belted out songs. Its just that they feel isolated in amongst the corporates who sit there without ever even flinching.

"Goal!!!!!!!!"

"No Karen, its a corner".

Stillbelieve

Sit in C block JH, and we do get the odd pockets ... can get the noise from HE as well which does rev some other supporters up. However if ever taking friends to game always try and get seats in HE = took a Villa ST holder mate there and sat with him just behind the goal. He said he was very impressed with noise and atmosphere , he never had a clue it was like that when he watched previously in the away end. Said our image of a library was not warranted on that showing

Favershampaul

Well done for having ago, don't over think it some fans just won't sing it doesn't  mean they are less passionate. I will always get up and sing but thats why i prefer the hammy end. To be fair it sometimes feels very quiet all around the ground. My plea to all the fans is for next few games we can really make a difference.
The mob from Brentford will be there in numbers at the weekend and will make some noise, lets shut them up when they start and not just using those clappers. Get your vocal chords working. Sing loud and proud cos these are special times in the old ground.