watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bettinelli v Bentley

Started by Riversider, April 14, 2018, 09:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

Can somebody explain to me how come the Brentford Keeper Bentley made distributing the ball look so effortless whilst Bettinelli looked like a 16 year old making his league debut every time he had to take a goal kick !
It took me back to the play off home game against Reading last May,
Which ever league we find ourselves in next season a decent keeper should be a priority, yes he can make some fine saves but bloody he'll is he painful to watch with the ball at his feet.
So much wrong today with the manager and the side, I've been warning for a while about mental tiredness over physical tiredness and for me we looked mentally shot today,
Play the strongest side against Millwall then make significant changes for the last two games to try and freshen it up a bit,
Hate to say this but I have no confidence whatsoever as far as the play offs are concerned,  I can see the wheels coming off big time now, we've been in decline performance wise since the second half of the QPR game, but nothing has been done to address the decline, we've lost our spark and our ability to terrorise sides, we were the team you wanted to avoid in the play offs not sure that applies now.

Robbie

Betts put in some great saves but I agree he needs to stop the pantomime time wasting.

Riversider

Quote from: Robbie on April 14, 2018, 10:11:52 PM
Betts put in some great saves but I agree he needs to stop the pantomime time wasting.

It's got little to do with time wasting and everything to do with zero confidence with the ball at his feet.

BedsFFC

I think you are being unfair. Making Bettinelli uncomfortable was a pretty key tactic for Brentford. We don't do this. In fact, we quite like their keeper going short. We leave options intentionally.

Riversider

Quote from: BedsFFC on April 14, 2018, 10:43:15 PM
I think you are being unfair. Making Bettinelli uncomfortable was a pretty key tactic for Brentford. We don't do this. In fact, we quite like their keeper going short. We leave options intentionally.

Bentley wasn't going short all the time though was he, his kicking had the accuracy of a U.S cruise missile, dress it up however you like his distribution was different class to that of Betts.
No question.

Matt10

Seriously, this is a question?

They played an extremely high press. Our fullbacks get wide and advanced on goalkicks. This brings in their SMFs to be even with our FBs. This means Betts, or Button, whoever, has to play out to the side and send it to the FB. What happens is we send it to the FB and the SMF or CMF tucks inside to receive a one-time pass (header) back inside.

That's why it's difficult to do. The best of CAMs would have trouble with that pass because it is an unfavorable strategy to begin with. 

HV71

I'm certainly not going to have a go at Betts or our style of playing out from the back . What I would say though is that when Betts went long to Mitro it was very successful- leading to either a positive knock down or a throw in  two thirds if the way up the pitch. The moral is surely mix it up and don't become predictable

Twig

Having a pop at Betts? Seriously?

Matt10

Quote from: HV71 on April 14, 2018, 11:12:40 PM
I'm certainly not going to have a go at Betts or our style of playing out from the back . What I would say though is that when Betts went long to Mitro it was very successful- leading to either a positive knock down or a throw in  two thirds if the way up the pitch. The moral is surely mix it up and don't become predictable

Agreed here. We mixed it up quite well, and my goodness can Mitro hold a ball up. Aim for his chest instead of his head at times could be better!

HV71

Thankfully both are quite a big target !

Twig

I agree. Especially when teams such as Brentford restrict our ability to play out from the back with their high press. Playing out from the back is great, it suits our style and I think Betts has become increasingly adept and if teams sit off us a bit we can do it all day long. Not so easy when they get in our faces and press us.

hovewhite

Quote from: Twig on April 15, 2018, 11:20:19 AM

I agree. Especially when teams such as Brentford restrict our ability to play out from the back with their high press. Playing out from the back is great, it suits our style and I think Betts has become increasingly adept and if teams sit off us a bit we can do it all day long. Not so easy when they get in our faces and press us.
The first half distribution wise he couldn't find a white shirt playing it short and felt we were lucky through this not to be behind.
Second half felt it didn't improve enough,I am a big fan of Betts and hope the coaches work to put this showing into action on the training pitch as overall he's a better keeper than button.

toshes mate

Quote from: BedsFFC on April 14, 2018, 10:43:15 PM
+1

bill taylors apprentice

I thought sitting in the Riverside stand gave you a superior view of the game?

As others have said above, the opposition set about stopping us playing out from from the back, yes mistakes were made but their whole team did a first class job on us while we didn't!

filham

I voted for Betts as MOM. Betts was not alone in having problems playing the ball out from the back, Brentford made it difficult for all of our defenders,