Previous topic - Next topic

ffcne

Some interesting stats  on whoscored website  for
Championship sides .
Cardiff worst passing accuracy in division 55%
and only 45% possession.
We are let down with aerial duels ,
something which Brum are very high on.
Reading decent passing accuracy in games and possession.
Worth a look.

KJS

STATS are misleading as they can be made to look good or bad!

Fulham1959

A link :  https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/England-Championship

Does anyone know by what means all of these statistics are collected ?

Bill2

In my opinion our stats need to be split between the first half of the season and then the latter part. Interesting to see how they would change.

MJG

Just the views of a long term fan

MJG

Quote from: Bill2 on April 30, 2018, 05:04:32 PM
In my opinion our stats need to be split between the first half of the season and then the latter part. Interesting to see how they would change.
I need to update this but I did a bit here

Just the views of a long term fan

Southcoastffc

I recently came across this from OPTA about how they actually amass the data:

"We have data collection centres all around the world. For every match we have three guys using bespoke software, which overlays a live video feed on a pitch graphic: one guy watches the home team, another does the away team and the third man is essentially a data checker.   Using a combination of hotkeys and mouse clicks they track who's on the ball and what happens to it. So let's say X picks it up on the halfway line and passes it out wide to Y; they'll click where X is on the pitch when he plays it, again where Y is and the software records an X/Y coordinate and time stamp of the pass. Each match produces between 1,600 and 2,000 individual pieces of data, which are analysed by Opta's in-house team and packaged for use by broadcasters, the press, brands, irritating betting ads and coaches to formulate game plans for upcoming matches by obsessively observing opponents."

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Southcoastffc

I've just looked at
https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/170/Show/England-Fulham
which produces this generalised summary based on each player's latest two seasons (so maybe isn't a fair representation)

Fulham Characteristics + Strengths

Finishing scoring chances  - Very Strong
Attacking down the wings - Very Strong
Creating chances through individual skill - Very Strong
Creating long shot opportunities - Strong
Counter attacks - Strong
Defending set pieces - Strong

- Weaknesses

Aerial duels - Weak
Avoiding individual errors - Weak
Protecting the lead - Weak
Stopping opponents from creating chances - Very Weak

Fulham's Style of Play
Possession football
Short passes
Attacking down the left
Take long shots
Attempt through balls often
Play the offside trap
Consistent first eleven
Non-aggressive
Opponents play aggressively against them
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

YankeeJim

Stats are fun to argue over a few beers but they can't measure a team. Norwich has three of the top five in shots yet are a dismal mid table team. We placed no one on the all league team. If a team has a poor midfield their back line will have more tackles, blocks and clearances purely out of necessity. In our system, we work out of the back which, I would think , gives us a couple of easy passes forward on each possession. Is there a way to measure passes under pressure? That would be a meaningful stat.
Here's to a minor, yet effective intestinal flu to be upon Cardiff come Sunday. May they poo their way into the playoffs.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Burt

The most interesting stat of all is if the season started 23 games ago, the top and bottom ends of the table would look like this:

Fulham P23 W18 D5 L0 Pts 59
Wolves P23 W14 D6 L3 Pts 48
Villa P23 W14 D4 L5 Pts 46
Boro P23 W13 D4 L6 Pts 43
Millwall P23 W12 D7 L4 Pts 43
Cardiff P23 W13 D3 L7 Pts 42

------------

Barnsley P23 W4 D8 L11 Pts 20
Sunderland P23 W3 D7 L13 Pts 16
Reading P23 W3 D7 L13 Pts 16