watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

View from Brum

Started by terryr, May 04, 2018, 07:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terryr

" Well, just like last season, it's come down to the last match of the season to decide our fate. Can we perform the great escape again?

"I've always had a soft spot for Fulham, apart from one match that is banned from being mentioned on here.
Mind you, I can well remember a match in 1963 when that great player Johnny Haynes fouled Bertie Auld. Completely out of character, Bertie told him that was a naughty thing to do and promptly gave him a Glasgow Kiss. Other players got involved and Bertie flattened big Maurice Cook as well. Both Haynes and, surprisingly, Auld were sent off.
It was the same season where Bertie laid out big Ron Yeats as well.
And Bertie was only about 5' 8"
Anyway, on to this match.
We often play better against the top clubs and foul up against those at the bottom, so I'm going for Blues 2 Fulham 1, but even a draw should be good enough."

" Two games from a long way back v Fulham bring back good memories for me
5th October 1968......5-4 win , Jimmy Greenhoff scored four goals and also missed a spot kick.....Johnny Vincent (RIP) was our other scorer ....impressive gate of 28,448 ....we won't even reach that figure next Sunday because of the local Police and the daft blocking out of seats and giving most of the newest stand in the ground to away supporters
November 1979 ....we beat Fulham 4-2 at Craven Cottage during the Jim Smith promotion campaign....I stood on the away open terracing ....now covered and used as a Neutral/ Away stand.....Givens 2 , Archie Gemmill pen and a Lock o.g won it for us ...great day out
Sorry, but I will never get 1975 out of my head either ....cruelest defeat ever if you're an older Blue Nose"

" My feeling is that Harlee Dean will be brought straight back in for this match. We have looked more solid when he is in the team. I just don't know what to do about the midfield two. If Gardner comes in the passing improves, but we lose out on pace. However, we certainly need someone who can provide the passes for the wingers and forwards."

" I think start Dean again and start Gardner too. Might be the last game he plays for blues and we looked better with him today. I can see Grounds playing a part too, even if off the bench. Seeing Colin, be so good on his right foot from left back today, made it seem probable he could move back to the right, at some point, on such a big game in our season. Maybe Wes would move to right mid, in place of Jota, for a final 15 minutes, if we look at getting a result, whether draw or win.
1-0 blues."

" Agree I think Dean will replace Roberts.
I also think Colin should revert to his Right Back position and bring back Grounds. It may seem a little harsh on Harding but he was left for dead a few times today and it proved costly. And we know Colin is far superior in his preferred position than he is on the left.
Dunno what we should do about Che. Yes he scored today and yes he set up last weeks winner but he just don't seem to be in the game. Mind you, if all Che does in a match is contribute to a winner then maybe that's enough.
If monk says we were nervous today I can't see them being less nervous next week.
I was relaxed before QPR. I certainly ain't now.
QPR had absolutely nothing to play for. Fulham certainly do. "

" IF Gardner comes in, we can't play N'Doye as neither have any pace. Davies isn't strong enough so I think it would have to be Kieft and Gardner.
As always this season though, no option is really that good."

" Let's just get thru this week of hell.
Sunday no matter what we must survive.
And if anyone says it's up to us and doesn't matter what's going on elsewhere, yeah right.
Then celebrate and look forward to the Monk era. "

" We only go down if both Barnsley and Burton win, we have Bolton on goal difference"

" It is up to us. If we draw or better we are safe, no matter what happens elsewhere. So how is that not up to us?
There's no reason we can't get a point against Fulham. I hope the team isn't resigned to losing like some of our fans are."

" Dead right. Our negative vibes will affect the team if we're not careful. Lets stop all this negativity and just talk about how we're going to beat Fulham rather than talk about other teams losing."

" True - well Fulham are all about the wing play, so I think we need to make sure we are especially strong on our wings. This might be the right match to switch Jota inside, play a more packed midfield like the Wolves game to make up for our weakness in central midfield.
Yes, I would play N'Doye as well. :)"

" Not if Bolton win by a two goal margin and Blues lose by the same margin
Bolton would then pip us on goals scored....they have scored more , we are the lowest scorers in the entire Football League
Doesn't bear thinking about
We'll be OK.....but only just"

" Of course if we only lost 0-1 and Cardiff beat Reading 12-0 then we would go above Reading on the last day
I think that's highly unlikely though and Lord knows what the bookies odds would be
There'll be a lot of "ifs and buts" this week.....plus a lot of straw clutching
At least our destiny is still in our own hands ....that's the part I like"

" Worst game I ever saw,was at home to Fulham when we got relegated from prem last. What an occasion this will be tho. I've a mad feeling 0-0 which will do us."

" I can't believe there's fans on these forums who were gonna miss the thrill of it being all or nothing last game of the season if we'd had beaten QPR yesterday!!!??
I'd had easily wanted us to be safe going into the last game rather than having to watch other results for safety....we won't beat Fulham I'm sorry to say
Which means we have to watch the 3 B's results ... . something I did not want"

" Someone elsewhere raised a very good (and curiously interesting) scenario

"IF Blues were to lose to Fulham 2-5 and Bolton beat Forest 1-0 , we would both have identical goals scored and goals conceded , same goal difference
Now pretend for a minute , one of the other two sides out of Burton and Barnsley fail to win , then WHO would go down
Blues or Bolton
Is there a one off Play Off game played at a neutral ground ?
Do they draw straws ??
Or do they base it on head to head results this season.....In that case, Blues would be safe ....we have taken 4 points from them in 2017/18"

" EFL Rules

9.2 If two or more Clubs have the same number of points, goal difference and goals scored the highest placed Club shall be determined by the respective League records against each other, taking into account in order of precedence, points gained, goal difference and goals scored. If the above procedures do not separate the Clubs, then the Clubs concerned shall play off a deciding League Match or Matches under arrangements approved by the Board on a neutral ground."

" Yes it is all up to us. Totally up to what we do.
However. No matter what.
We will all be looking at other results. Glance over the shoulder.
Won't we !!!"

" Yes, I agree we will be looking at other results, but if we do what we need to do then the other results won't matter."

" I'm fearing a last second/minute cock up like in '75. It might not be our match though but in one of the others. Imagine we're safe with a minute to go but for someone else to score in the last minute to save themselves at our expense.
GM has to ram home to the players to avoid that happening we must be fearless so there are no regrets at the final whistle that we could have done more.
I'm going to be dropping a note through MM's door saying this and to say victory will be the long awaited payback for '75 to expunge this from the memories of everybody who was there. I will leave him in doubt what a catastrophe and nightmare that was, arguably more gut wrenching than any relegation. "

" But the Bolton goal difference is only 4 goals worse...if we lose and they win, that could easily be turned round..
Of all the "B's" that can go down, on paper, I'd give Bolton the best chance of survival.
My concern is that, unlike previous Great Escapes, we don't have the character and fight in this team to do it.
The fact that they folded against QPR reserves, sets alarm bells ringing."

" I can see no other outcome than a Fulham win. In a way I see that the relegation battle is out of our hands because there is no way we will get anything out of it. We will be praying that two of the clubs below us do not win."

" Bolton could win 2-0 and we loose 2-0 advantage over!
its an unbelievable situation to be in.
I do think (and of course hope) Bolton will blow it so its all about if Preston and Derby are really up for it as you wont need to motivate Burton or Barnsley "

"  A 4-goal swing really isn't much at all. Picture the scene: The final whistle goes at Bolton..they've won 1-0. Six minutes of stoppage time at St Andrews (it'll happen lol!) Blues are losing 2-0 and we end up chucking on a defensive player to keep a 2-0 defeat!
One of the many many possibilities this coming Sunday"

" Fulham havent lost in the league since 2017
no chance unless che adams plays a blinder"

" I posted on here a couple of months back that Fulham are the best in the league. Of late they have beaten Wolves, Villa, Middlesbrough, Derby and only last week they beat the in-form rapid rising Millwall. The only reason that Cardiff are not on that list is that they haven't played them.
Forget next Sunday's game, just concentrate on your phones and the Burton, Bolton and Barnsley games. Fulham are just too good and as their recent 2-0 win over Wolves proved they are currently the best in our league."

" If we can put a similar type of performance to the one we had at home to hull a month or so ago then I think we have a chance of getting something, we were absolutely brilliant that day. COYBB!!"

" With a bit of luck Cardiff will be five up after 2 minutes so Fulham will realise they can't go ahead of em and save their energy for playoffs."

" We will do a Burton on them. Have only one chance versus their 30. We will score, they won't."

" Really didn't want to go into this game needing anything but it is what it is. I for one would like to beat them for our own benefit clearly, but also I see Fulham as more of a danger to them lot over the road than Cardiff to be honest."

" I can't see Cardiff slipping up mezz. Mind you nothing would surprise me"

" Same mate, I think Fulham will also know that. Cardiff probably couldn't have asked for a better fixture other than Bolton at the moment. Will be very interesting to see the body language of the Fulham lot should they get news Cardiff are up by a few goals. For us we just need to keep it tight for the first 20min as they will come at us like mad from the off."

" The Fulham home game near the end of the Cup-winning season we went down under McLeish sticks in my mind: we were so stunningly poor the crowd was numb rather than angry and relegation suddenly seemed likely rather than possible.
Hate to say it but I think we'll lose on Saturday. But I still believe we'll stay up because at least one of Barnsley and Burton won't win. Fingers and all things crossed.
From what I've seen, Fulham are a far better team than Cardiff and deserve to go up."

" I know this won't go down well with some, but I think it's time for Harding to be left out.
I don't think he is the best thing since sliced bread, like some on here, but he has done OK so far.
My reason for leaving him out is that he will be up against one of the best left side players in the country in Sessegnon, whilst we have what some consider is the best right back in the division at left back - Colin.
I know this will give us a left back problem but overall, I think we need as much experience as possible so probably Grounds has to be reinstated - if not what was always planned - circumstances allowing - Robbo's final farewell !"

" Totally agree, said it the last few weeks Harding has done great for a young lad however he looks to get caught out far too much and on Saturday it cost us big time. One thing I would say is he isn't slow so having him also wouldn't be a total bad idea but I'd feel much more safe with Colin at RB, plus I feel it will bring more out of Jota"

" Believe we'll stay up as one of Barnsley or Burton won't win.
Harding has done OK, but Colin has to go RB, Grounds LB and Gardner into Midfield.
Need as much experience as we have on the field to PARK THE BUS"

" Us to lose, Burton and Barnsley to win - odds are 54/1. I'd have snapped your hand off for that during the Cotterill days.
I'm more relaxed about this than either the Bolton or Bristol City final games. I can actually see us causing Fulham some problems if we play as we have done at home recently. Once word reaches them that Cardiff are 2 up against Reading in the first half I can't see them going hell for leather
I hope I don't regret this post at 4pm Sunday "

" All good runs come to an end...
Is this the time for Fulham faced with a bumper crowd that will roar on the Blues.
All our players have to do is play their hearts out for the crowd and hold their heads up.
I would relish the opportunity to attend the game .
So KRO blues...you can do it"

" Fulham had a bumper crowd against Villa and won 2-0. They had a bumper crowd against Wolves and won 2-0. Only last week they went to in-form playoffs chasing Millwall and won 3-0 in front of a most vociferous and hostile crowd.
I get the impression a fair few people are clutching at straws before this game."

" Fulham 2-1 Sunderland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x150YYRON-A
Fulham last Friday game, they like to get a lot forward"

" Any chance Sky are going to show this or are they only showing the one championship game for those not living in the U.K."

" Having watched Fulham's games against Millwall and Sunderland, they only seemed to turn it on in the second half of both. Millwall could have been 3-0 up at half time and Sunderland could have been 2-0 up if they had been given a stone wall penalty.
Let's hope they are same against us and we can snatch a 2-0 lead first half, then hang on for our lives in the second. Unlikely but not impossible."

" Of course I'll be happy to eat humble pie, but I think results will conspire against us. There will be some early goals elsewhere. In those circumstances I think the large crowd will transmit tension onto the pitch."

" I'm going with a prediction I did on another thread
2-2
We will be two up but Fulham will throw everything at us in the 2nd half....just to make the home fans twitchy which is what most of us are used to and how typical it is to follow Blues in 'crunch' do or die fixtures
A point should secure safety
Even if the other three 'B's did manage to win and Reading lost at Cardiff , we'd be safe.... Bolton and Reading would go down
But realistically I expect Burton and Bolton will be the two to fall.....largely based on their awful GD records....Barnsley have the best GD of all bottom six clubs prior to those simultaneous Sunday kick offs ....I do think GD will come into play on Sunday "

" I think Bolton, Barnsley and Burton will win and we will lose relegating us. To make matters worse it will be shades of Maine Road 1975 where late goals in all the games provide a dramatic and heartbreaking climax."

" Well, I think we'll beat Fulham, so everyone else's result will be academic.
I'm going for 4-1 to Blues. Got to be close to 50/1 on offer for that, so it'll pay for a flight back to Thailand for me if I put a tenner on it (going £20 do I can fly business I reckon"

" Who would ever have thought that Fulham would have got a draw that sunny Saturday afternoon in Sheffield April 1975.............mind you a lot of people said stick with the same fullbacks....sound familiar?"

" I think a 442/451 formation, where Adams drops into midfield without the ball and creates a central three.

Stockdale

Colin Morrison Dean Grounds

Jota Davis Gardner Maghoma

Adams
Juke"

" Spot on krokid! That's the winning lineup."

" No one can predict this one so stop bothering to try
I'll be there
I'll have a good day out
And
We will
Stay up
As
For the rest of it -
Forget it"

" Put it this way..no-one's going to be suffering from constipation this Sunday. "

" Absolutely no way we will go down. I have every confidence we will do it ourselves with a draw. Bring it on.
Then we need the owners to sell up or make some serious investment. It's not rocket science just follow the Wolves model they have shown the way to do it"

" Just tried booking tickets online but the whole ground is marked Grey ,Does this mean its sold out?"

" I would be very surprised if they open the section above the Fulham supporters because of the idiotic behaviour of some of our supporters in that area previously. You reap what you sow.
I guess the only way might be to open it apart from the first four rows."

" Spitting from above, items thrown. Some of our fans spoil it for the majority."

"Sky have confirmed they'll only be showing Cardiff v Reading Live..bit disappointing as they normally show two games."

"  Been reading other Forums and many of our fans spoiled the away day experience at QPR with some real loutish behavior....spoiing it for other Blues followers.....although I'm also told the stewarding and policing at QPR is outrageously bad"

Thats it
View from Cardiff coming soon!

SP

Thanks Terry some interesting material from the opposition for a change.

God forbid Harlee Dean has any positive part in proceedings on Sunday, the Brentford fans will be arranging another ticker tape parade.

gezkc

Thanks Terry.

They seem a decent lot. It's never easy being in the situation they're in (we've been there enough times ourselves).
Still, I hope we hammer them on Sunday and Colin's team flop against Reading!

Fulham 442

Thanks Terry.

They seem a decent lot. It's never easy being in the situation they're in (we've been there enough times ourselves).
Still, I hope we hammer them on Sunday and Colin's team flop against Reading!

I agree. Here's hoping. Roll on Sunday!

Forever Fulham

They think we only turn it on in the second half, so they talk about getting up by at least two goals before the half.  I never thought the team failed to score in the first half of most games it has won.  Is that true?   

bobbo

Always grateful terry.

I agree with the comment we're better in the second half, it's happened quite a few times during our unbeaten run.

I've been at nearly all the big ones over the last 60 years and tomorrow's no exception. COYW.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

HatterDon

thanks, Terry. This is one of the very best features on this site. I always look forward to it.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel