watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (05/05/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 05, 2018, 06:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Don Goodman 'How good could Fulham's season have been if Aleksandar Mitrovic there from the start?'

Former Sunderland striker Don Goodman has given Aleksandar Mitrovic rave reviews and wonders what could have been...

Don Goodman has given Aleksandar Mitrovic rave reviews as the Newcastle loan striker tears it up at Fulham.

Goodman was a Sunderland star in the early 90s and Mitro helped send the Mackems on their way to League One as rock bottom finishers, with yet another quality winner last weekend.

Don Goodman has been very impressed and as one of the EFL panel, has now awarded Championship player of the month to Mitro for a second month in a row.

Mitro has scored 12 goals in his last 13 games for Fulham and helping them to secure a play-off spot and still a possibility of automatic promotion

Don Goodman wonder s just how much better Fulham could have done if Aleksandar Mitrovic had been at Craven Cottage all season...

Former Sunderland striker and now pundit, Don Goodman was part of the judging panel:

"Back to back awards for the striker who can't stop scoring.

"Goals in all but one of April's games proved the difference for Fulham in their crusade to pile the pressure on Cardiff.

"You wonder how good Fulham's season could've been had he been there from the start."

Sky Bet EFL trader Mikey Mumford was also one of the judges deciding the Championship player of the month award:

"It takes something special to scoop back-to-back player of month awards but Mitrovic's fine form in March has shown no signs of slowing into April.

"He plays with the steely determination you need to succeed in the Championship and the passion for his loan club is there for all to see.

"Goals in all but one of Fulham's six games in the month and an even bigger role could await if Fulham are to navigate their way through the Play-Offs."

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic on Aleksandar Mitrovic:

"He's had a huge impact.

"He showed the quality he has fighting with this team and he's doing a great job for us.

"We're very satisfied to have him and we hope he's going to play a big part in Fulham's promotion."

Aleksandar Mitrovic

"It feels great.

"I'm glad for the award but I'm even happier that the team is doing well and keep winning games.

"We have one game to go before the end of the regular season, so we have to focus on this game to try and win and see what happens with Cardiff.

"Coming to Fulham has gone much better than I could have ever expected and I hope it can continue."

https://www.themag.co.uk/2018/05/don-goodman-good-fulhams-season-aleksandar-mitrovic-start-newcastle-united/

WhiteJC

Fulham's Slavisa Jokanovic beats Burton Albion boss Nigel Clough to award

The Burton Albion boss was nominated alongside Jokanovic, Tony Pulis and Nuno Esparto Santo

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic greets Burton Albion manager Nigel Clough
(Image: Brandon Griffiths/Epic Action Imagery)

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has beaten Burton Albion's Nigel Clough to April's manager of the month award in the Championship.

Clough was up for the final monthly prize of the 2017-18 season after overseeing Albion's belated surge for safety, with 11 points taken from their six games in the month, including three successive victories.

But Jokanovic was handed the prize after a stunning April for the Cottagers in which they won five and drew one of their six matches, extending an unbeaten run that stretches back to December.

Aleksandar Mitrovic was named April's player of the month
(Image: Catherine Ivill/Getty Images)

Those results have sustained Fulham's relentless pursuit of automatic promotion and leaves them a single point behind second-placed Cardiff City ahead of Sunday's final-day set of fixtures.

"April was a great month for us," said Jokanovic, who was also up against Middlesbrough's Tony Pulis and Wolverhampton Wanderers boss Nuno Espirito Santo.

"It wasn't an easy month, facing teams like Millwall who were still fighting for an important target, and trying to win full points against Sunderland when they're playing with no pressure.

"At the end of the month, it's a great job, huge credit to my players and we're looking at the next steps immediately ahead of us.

"We're thinking only about the next challenge, which is getting three points against Birmingham City and getting to 91 points for the season."

Aleksandar Mitrovic won player of the month to make it a clean sweep for Fulham.

He scored in five of the Cottagers' six games in April, including winners against Sheffield Wednesday and Sunderland.

https://www.burtonmail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulhams-slavisa-jokanovic-beats-burton-1532021

WhiteJC

MPs to investigate Wembley Stadium offer

The head of a select committee says there should be public scrutiny of any decision to sell the home of English football.

Shahid Khan has made a bid for Wembley Stadium

MPs are to investigate the proposed £600m sale of Wembley Stadium to American football tycoon Shahid Khan.

Mr Khan, the billionaire owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars NFL team as well as Fulham Football Club, was revealed last week to have made an offer.

Now the digital, culture, media and sport select committee plans to hold a one-off evidence session on the future of Wembley on 18 July.

It is inviting witnesses including sports minister Tracey Crouch as well as representatives from the Football Association, the current owner of the stadium, and Sport England.

Damian Collins, chair of the committee, said: "Wembley is the home of English football, built in part using public money.

"There should be some public scrutiny of any decision to sell the stadium and how proceeds from this could be invested to benefit the long-term future of the game."

Mr Collins said MPs wanted to understand the details of the FA's proposals in relation to the possible sale as well as hearing from critics.

They plan to look at the potential risks and benefits of the deal, how the proceeds would be used, and the impact on the future of English football.

Some in the game have been won over by talk of the sale generating £500m to be invested in grassroots sport but there has been controversy over the idea that it would mean the national team having to play some home fixtures away from the historic north London venue.

That is because a deal is likely to see the creation of the first NFL franchise outside the US, meaning England's autumn internationals taking place across the country rather than at Wembley.

A stadium was first erected on the site in 1923 and was reopened in 2007 after a £757m rebuild.

It has already hosted some NFL games and has been a temporary base for Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur during the current season as their new stadium is completed.

Mr Khan has sought to assuage fears about Wembley's future in his hands, saying: "English football is sacred and that's the priority."

He said he expected showpiece events such as the FA Cup and League Cup finals to continue to take place there.

https://news.sky.com/story/mps-to-investigate-wembley-stadium-offer-11357857

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic thanks Fulham for handing him a loan chance as he claims yet another award

Newcastle United striker Aleksandar Mitrovic joined Fulham on loan in January and has scored 12 goals since

Aleksandar Mitrovic celebrates scoring for Fulham (Image: PA)

Aleksandar Mitrovic admits his Fulham loan move has gone "better than I could have ever expected" after he claimed back-to-back Championship Player of the Month awards.

The on-loan Newcastle United striker has scored 14 goals in his last 15 games for club and country, including netting five in six matches for the Cottagers last month.

In April, Mitrovic picked up two man-of-the-match awards, while he provided an assist as well as five strikes of his own for Fulham – and he also netted the winner against Sunderland in a 2-1 victory last week.

The 23-year-old lifted the second-tier Player of the Month accolade for March after netting five goals in as many games for Fulham - and he has retained the trophy in April, too.

Mitrovic has played a key role in helping the Cottagers mount a serious automatic-promotion challenge, with the west London club sitting just one point behind second-placed Cardiff City heading into the final day of the Championship campaign on Sunday.

"We have one game to go before the end of the regular season, so we have to focus on this game to try and win and see what happens with Cardiff.

"Coming to Fulham has gone much better than I could have ever expected and I hope it can continue."

One of the key reasons why Mitrovic opted to join Fulham once his move to former club Anderlecht collapsed in January was the presence of fellow Serbian Slavisa Jokanovic in the dugout.

And Jokanovic has been delighted with Mitrovic's impact at Craven Cottage - and is already understood to be considering a permanent move for the striker this summer.

A national-media report this week even claimed the Cottagers not only want to sign Mitrovic – who should be available for around £20million – but also his Magpies' team-mate and fellow striker Dwight Gayle, in who Fulham have held a long-term interest.

"He's had a huge impact. He showed the quality he has fighting with this team and he's doing a great job for us," Jokanovic said of Mitrovic.

"We're very satisfied to have him and we hope he's going to play a big part in Fulham's promotion."

The other nominees for the April award were Aston Villa forward – and former Sunderland loanee – Lewis Grabban, Hull City winger Harry Wilson and Middlesbrough defender Daniel Ayala.

But the judging panel - which consisted of former West Bromwich Albion striker Don Goodman, EFL communications director Mark Rowan, League Managers Association director Olaf Dixon and Sky Bet's Mikey Mumford - believed Mitrovic deserved to retain the award.

On the EFL's official website, the Football League sum up another excellent month for Mitrovic: "A second successive award for the unstoppable Serbian.

"Mitrovic scored in five of his six games, including the winners against Sheffield Wednesday and Sunderland.

"As well as his all-round contribution, his passion for the club as a loan player is striking."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aleksandar-mitrovic-thanks-fulham-handing-14614162

WhiteJC

Exclusive interview: Fulham's Tom Cairney: 'It's incredibly brave to play the way we do'

Cairney has been central to Fulham's unbeaten run Credit: PA

Tom Cairney always knew what kind of player he could become, and what kind of football he could play.

The trouble, as he discovered earlier in his career, was that his managers would not always agree. At Hull City, Blackburn Rovers and then at Fulham, Cairney found himself marooned on the wing, forever removed from the midfield chaos he believed he could conduct.

"Maybe it was because they saw me as a bit of a luxury," he says. "But I have never seen myself like that, and I have always said I would be better in the middle. It's this manager that has done that, and my game has gone on to new levels ever since."

The manager in question is Slavisa Jokanovic, the Fulham head coach who has trusted Cairney with both the captain's armband and the responsibility of controlling the metronomic rhythm of the Championship's most attractive side.

Cairney has since developed into one of the league's finest players, a technician of Premier League quality who has been central, both literally and figuratively, to Fulham's 23-game unbeaten run in the Championship. To put that streak into some context, their last defeat was so long ago, in mid-December, that Cairney's main memory from that weekend is the club's Christmas party. "We must have been drinking some magic potion," he chuckles.

Fulham have not lost in the league since December 16 Credit: PA

It is the longest unbeaten run in English football this season, and it could still propel Fulham to automatic promotion this weekend, provided Cardiff City drop points at home to Reading. A play-off place is more likely but, either way, Cairney will be the leader of the charge. "When we are in trouble, he is the guy who can put the ball down," Jokanovic says. "He is never scared to play."

The numbers tell their own story. No player in the Championship has completed more passes this season than Cairney, and no-one plays more passes per game. He is the most accurate passer of the ball in the division, and has completed more passes in the opposition half than anyone else. He is, in short, the composer-in-chief for a side which plays a style of football rarely seen outside of the top flight. "A poor man's David Silva," as he describes it.

"I believe in that way of playing," Cairney says. "If you look at the teams that have dominated football for the last five or 10 years, that's the way they are playing. Everyone is different but I love to watch that type of football: the clever players, the technical players. The beautiful game.

"It's incredibly brave. To play out from the back, to take it into hostile stadiums. You can easily go into your shell and kick it long, but it is harder to take that extra touch and calm everything down.

"It's about believing in your ability, and believing in the right way to win games. You need to stick by that, no matter how loud the crowd is or how big the game is. The manager does not panic, and we always play the same way. He has to take a lot of credit for that, because playing the football that we do, in this division, is not easy."

Cairney was named in the Championship team of the season Credit: PA Wire

Do not be hoodwinked by the pretty passing patterns, though. Following the arrival of Aleksandar Mitrovic on loan from Newcastle United in January, there has also been a layer of steel to this Fulham side, a touch of nastiness that was missing when they were defeated by Reading in last year's play-off semi-final.

"He has given us an extra dimension," Cairney says. "A physical edge and a threat in the box that we have not really had. We are a little bit more streetwise this season, a bit more resolute."

The other key change from last year's play-off defeat, which Cairney says was the lowest he has ever felt on a football pitch, is that Fulham now have an older, stronger and better Ryan Sessegnon, the new golden boy of English football.

He is still just 17, but Sessegnon has been liberated by a move to the left wing, scoring 15 goals and subsequently being named the Championship's player of the season. "To do what he's doing and to be the same every day is frightening," says Cairney. "He never gets carried away. The guy has scored hat-tricks, he's won awards. He's our top goalscorer and he's just done his GCSEs."

Sessegnon has been a revelation for Fulham Credit: Getty Images

Cairney became aware of Sessegnon's ability as soon as they played their first match together. "It was his debut," he remembers. "It was at Elland Road, against Leeds, and he was at left-back, at 16 years old. The first ball he got, it rolled under his foot and out for a throw-in. I remember thinking, 'oh my God...' but it just does not bother him. Since that day I've thought 'wow'".

Those who have not seen Sessegnon in the flesh may hear of his talent and conjure up images in their minds of stepovers and flicks, weaving dribbles and wonder goals. But Sessegnon, Cairney says, is not a mini-Neymar or the next Gareth Bale.

"He is not like those wonderkids who do something outrageous. I wouldn't call him that, I would call him a proper player. You see the flash in the pans who come on and do some skill, but he's not like that. He's not going to beat five players. He's just a very, very good player who starts games. He is so effective."

Sessegnon, it can be safely assumed, will eventually outgrow Fulham. But can the same be said for Cairney? Now 27, he has prompted interest from both Newcastle United and West Ham, who reportedly bid £18m for him in January. "I don't know how close it was to happening," he says. "It was out of my hands. But last summer I signed a contract extension and that was me committing my future to Fulham. I live around here, I'm settled. I love it."

Promotion may be the key to keeping both him and Sessegnon. Of the two, though, the loss of Cairney would arguably be the bigger blow to the Jokanovic project. "He is the guy who shows really strong character on the pitch," the Fulham manager says. "Without him, it's a different story."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/04/exclusive-interview-fulhams-tom-cairney-incredibly-brave-play/

WhiteJC

Promotion or bust! Tom Cairney fears Fulham stars could leave if Premier League bid fails

In with a shout: Tom Cairney is hoping Fulham can crank up the pressure on promotion rivals Cardiff by scoring early in their game at Birmingham (PA)

Fulham go into their promotion shootout against Cardiff with a warning from captain Tom Cairney that they may struggle to keep their best players if they fail to go up.

Fulham look ready to return to the Premier League after a four-year absence and Cairney admits it is "now or never" for the talented young team built by Slavisa Jokanovic.

It is no secret that Cairney and Ryan Sessegnon are wanted by Premier League clubs, while Ryan Fredericks is out of contract in the summer and attracting interest.

Promotion could also determine whether Fulham will keep hold of Aleksandar Mitrovic, who has scored 14 goals since joining on loan from Newcastle in January.

Cairney said: "It is now or never because we've got some good players and a few teams might be after them in the summer.

"To keep this team together, we need to do it [get promoted] now. I just think we are attracting a lot of attention and so are our players."

Fulham could go up automatically by drawing at Birmingham if Cardiff fail to pick up a point against Reading at home.

Should Jokanovic's side miss out  this weekend, they will face one of Middlesbrough, Derby or Preston in the play-offs, with the first leg a week today.

Cairney believes Fulham, who go into the final day on an unbeaten run of 23 matches, deserve to be promoted and feels they would hold their own in the top tier.

"To go half a season unbeaten shows we are ready," he said the midfielder. "It would mean everything to me to lead the club back up.

"The club is built for the Premier League. We would not go up to struggle. With the owners, you would go up and compete, not just survive.

"We would bring players in, it is an attraction playing in London. This is a Premier League club and it is down to us to get us there. It is really exciting.

"It has been tough the past few years but I said at the end of last season, the club has turned around.

"Fulham are back. The players and the fans are a lot closer, the atmosphere at Craven Cottage is so good and I think the club is ready . . . the training ground, the stadium, the club as a whole, the owners and how ambitious they are."

Cardiff are in pole position to join Wolves in the automatic promotion spots but Cairney knows they can crank up the pressure on their rivals by scoring early.

Suitors: Cairney is wanted by Premier League clubs (Getty Images)

"If we can get an early goal and then they get wind of it, hopefully it might get a bit edgy in their game," said. "And then we can take it from there.

"The pressure is on Cardiff. They have been there most of the season and we have been chasing. Credit to them, they have handled it so well up to this point. And if they have the minerals to do it again then fair play.

"Reading knocked us out of the play-offs last season so I hope they send us up this year."

Asked if anyone on the Fulham bench will be listening to radios to check the Cardiff score,  Cairney said: "One hundred per cent!

"We will be focused on our game but it will be in the back of your mind all game. You will be thinking what is going on in the other match. If one of the teams scores you will hear about it. It is going to be a rollercoaster. We know it is out of our hands. There is going to be a lot of drama and it might go back and forth a couple of times during the game. But we have got to do the business.

"Our game is going to be really tough. They have got their biggest crowd in years and years apparently and it can be loud there. They are fighting to stay up, so we will be under the cosh at times.

Promotion is worth at least £170 million but for Jokanovic (left) it will also boost his chances of keeping the core of the team together.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/promotion-or-bust-tom-cairney-says-fulham-stars-will-leave-if-premier-league-bid-fails-a3831156.html

WhiteJC

Report: West Ham target Marcus Bettinelli watched by England scouts at Fulham

Fulham could struggle to hold onto goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli even if they are promoted out of the Championship with Premier League West Ham interested.

Considering the mistakes made by both Adrian and Joe Hart this season, it is no surprise that West Ham United want a new goalkeeper this summer.

And it seems that David Moyes and Gareth Southgate have something in common – they both rate Fulham shot-stopper Marcus Bettinelli very highly.

The Mail states that West Ham have started the process of looking for a new number one and the 25-year-old Englishman is understood to be a serious target.

And The Hammers are expected to make a bid for Bettinelli regardless of which division Fulham find themselves in next season. The Cottagers are still in with a shout of automatic promotion, sitting a single point behind Cardiff City with one game to go in the Championship season.

While so much credit has gone to Fulham's attacking players this season, Bettinelli's form has been a major factor in their rise up the table, particularly since he secured the number one jersey ahead of David Button around the turn of the year.

And while West Ham fans might be a little underwhelmed by links with a Championship goalkeeper, the fact that England scouts have watched Bettinelli regularly this season is an indication of his talents.

The goalkeeping department is arguably the strongest area of England's squad right now but The Mail still states that Bettinelli, who is renowned for his footwork as well as his shot-stopping, could be in line for a call-up should he be playing Premier League football next season.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/05/04/do-report-west-ham-target-marcus-bettinelli-watched-by-england-s/

WhiteJC

Birmingham v Fulham preview

Aleksandar Mitrovic will hope to steer Fulham to promotion on Sunday

Birmingham will be hoping to avoid relegated against promotion-chasing Fulham and St Andrew's on Sunday.

The Blues will have Harlee Dean available for their crunch game. The defender has been banned for the last two games, including last weekend's 3-1 defeat at QPR. Marc Roberts has been deputising but could now drop out.

Blues are two points above the Sky Bet Championship relegation zone, although with a superior goal difference to 22nd-place Burton, a point should be good enough to survive.

Fulham are hopeful Matt Targett will be fit for their promotion-deciding trip. The defender limped off in Friday's 2-1 win over Sunderland with an ankle injury.

Striker Floyd Ayite has missed four games with a hamstring injury, as has on-loan Liverpool frontman Sheyi Ojo with an unspecified knock. Fulham need to better Cardiff's result against Reading to claim automatic promotion.

Opta stats

The Blues haven't won back to back home league matches against Fulham since December 1991, beating them 1-0 at St. Andrew's last season.

The Cottagers haven't completed a Football League double over Birmingham since the 1952-53 campaign.

Birmingham haven't lost on the final day of the league season in any of their last six Championship campaigns (W3 D3) - their last defeat was in 2010-11 in the Premier League, losing 2-1 to Spurs.

However, Fulham are unbeaten in 23 league games (W18 D5), the longest current unbeaten run across the top four tiers of English Football.

Garry Monk's three previous Championship meetings with Fulham have all ended 1-1.

Birmingham City have the league's lowest scoring top goal scorer (Sam Gallagher, six), whilst only 12 different Birmingham players have found the back of the net this season, a league low.

Prutton's prediction

As much as Slavisa Jokanovic and Co would like to, Fulham cannot control events at the Cardiff City Stadium and all they can do is win their own game and hope for a bit of rub.

Birmingham also just need a point to ensure their Championship status, but Fulham are far too strong at the moment and I cannot see them slipping up on the final day. Away win, but it is looking like the play-offs again for the Cottagers. The Blues should be safe, but it will be a nervy afternoon for them.

David Prutton predicts: 1-2 (7/1 with Sky Bet)

http://www.skysports.com/football/birmham-vs-fulham/preview/375159

WhiteJC

Fulham are bracing themselves for this in crunch Birmingham City match at St Andrew's

Fulham captain Tom Cairney on what to expect from BCFC - and a packed St Andrew's

He might be the best player in one of the best teams in the Championship but Fulham's Tom Cairney accepts Birmingham City will put his team will be under severe pressure this weekend.

And the talented midfielder has also spoken of the atmosphere Blues fans will create at a sold out St Andrew's, in a fixture which could see one side promoted and the other relegated.

Fulham need Cardiff to slip up at home to Reading and a victory to take themselves up automatically.

Blues know a win will secure their Championship status, a draw will go a long way and a defeat could land them in trouble.

And so the Scotland international is expecting a difficult encounter.

"It's going to be a really, really tough game," Cairney told fulhamfc.com . "We're going to be under the cosh at times when they throw a few men forward.

"We've got to turn up and win the game. Obviously it will be difficult because Birmingham still aren't safe.

"A point guarantees safety for them so I'm not sure how they'll start the game, but it should be a great match.

"The mood's positive. We're 23 unbeaten so you can't be anything but positive, but obviously the one thing that we'd wish is to have it in our own hands. That's the only negative thing."

Fulham will be backed by 3,300 travelling supporters at St Andrew's, and with the home areas sold out too, it should be a raucous occasion.

"It will be a really good atmosphere because when their fans turn up it's actually quite loud," Cairney said.

"It's going to be one hell of an atmosphere. Fulham fans are coming up in their numbers and it's going to be a great occasion, an exciting 90 minutes, and I just hope when I'm playing I hear a cheer from our fans that tells me Reading have scored.

"We've still got a lot to do but with the way we've been playing and the belief that's in the team, anything can happen in football."

Cardiff City will be keen to know how Fulham are faring, and Cairney believes the Bluebirds players will be aware of the score at St Andrew's.

"I think you can always gauge a feeling from the atmosphere what other results are.

"I reckon any player who says he's not thinking about that is lying, it's always in the back of your mind what's going off elsewhere.

"At the end of the day we've got to pick up points to stand any chance of getting promoted [automatically], so that's what we're going to try and do.

"There will be a lot of pressure on Cardiff but there's been pressure for quite a while and they've dealt with it well, to be fair to them.

"Whether there's a bit extra on final day, we'll see, but if we score an early goal or get ahead and the news gets to Cardiff City then that could make it a little bit edgy for them."

When asked if old pal Sone Aluko would be getting some messages of encouragement in the lead-up to the weekend, Cairney replied: "He'll be getting a kiss if he does us a favour, I know that!

"I think he might get a few texts off the boys, even Chrissy Martin too. I'll take anyone in the Reading team helping us out, though."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-fulham-tickets-braced-14607124

WhiteJC

SKY BET EFL MANAGER OF THE MONTH AWARDS: APRIL 2018

The winners of the Sky Bet EFL Manager of the Month Awards for April are:

Sky Bet Championship: Slavisa Jokanovic (Fulham)

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic has been named the Sky Bet Championship Manager of the Month for April.

April brought six more unbeaten games and 16 more points as his team continued their relentless pursuit of automatic promotion.

Even in the crucial run-in, Jokanovic has his players expressing themselves with verve, freedom and beguiling fluency.

Jokanovic said: "April was a great month for us. It wasn't an easy month, facing teams like Millwall who were still fighting for an important target and trying to win full points against Sunderland when they're playing with no pressure.

"At the end of the month, it's a great job, huge credit for my players and we're looking at the next steps immediately ahead of us.

"We're thinking only about the next challenge, which is getting three points against Birmingham and getting to 91 points for the season."

George Burley chairs the Sky Bet Manager of the Month judging panel.

He said: "Slavisa has had Fulham playing great football which has been wonderful to watch and now they are producing the results their performances deserve.

"They have had a fantastic run of results and are neck-and-neck with Cardiff City for the second promotion spot."

Sky Sports' EFL pundit Don Goodman said: "Now on a 23-game unbeaten run, Jokanovic's Fulham, from quite a way back, have taken Cardiff right down to the wire in the race for the second automatic promotion slot.

"Only a 93rd minute equaliser for local-rivals Brentford robbed him of full points from April's six games.

"That goal may be the goal that sees them end up in the Play-Offs but if they do, they will be the team the others are hoping to avoid."

Sky Bet EFL trader Mikey Mumford said: "Fulham had six games to contend with in April but Jokanovic repeatedly got the best from his players despite the demanding schedule.

"The Cottagers nicked three games in the month by the odd goal to keep the pressure on Cardiff in second and the Serb deserves immense credit for taking their automatic promotion challenge right up until the final day.

"Fulham are 7/2 to go up automatically and 6/4 to go up via the Play-Offs and it might take some effort to stop them in their current mood."

http://www.leaguemanagers.com/news/lma-latest/sky-bet-efl-manager-month-awards-april-2018/

WhiteJC

Reading, Birmingham, Barnsley, Burton Or Bolton: Who Is Getting Relegated From The Championship On The Final Day?

Either Cardiff or Fulham will seal second place on the final day to secure promotion up to the Premier League but it is down the bottom of the table where the unpredictable nature of the Championship will shine through once again. As it stands, heading into the final game, five teams are in contention to join Sunderland and be relegated to League One next season.

We analyse the five teams left scrapping for survival and their chance of staying up.

Reading (v Cardiff)

Three league wins since 2nd December has seen last year's play-off finalists drop from midtable security to relegation candidates. The appointment of Paul Clement has done little to turn their form around with a lack of goals becoming a real problem for the Royals.

They are currently in the strongest position of the relegation candidates, two points clear of the drop with a decent goal difference compared to their rivals. However, they do face second-placed Cardiff away from home on the final day, the Bluebirds need a win to secure promotion this season. They are unlikely to get a result in Wales but others should falter.

Verdict: Royals to survive despite final day defeat

Birmingham (v Fulham)

Birmingham are level on points (43) with Reading but have a much worse goal difference. They face a rampant Fulham side on the final day who need a win to keep the pressure on Cardiff for that second-place spot.

Blues have been in decent form in recent weeks but their defeat last time out to QPR was damaging in a game where they could have secured their safety. They will lose this game to a brilliant Fulham and will have to look elsewhere for their safety to be confirmed.

Verdict: Blues to stay up by the skin of their teeth after heavy defeat to Fulham

Barnsley (v Derby)

A 2-0 win over Brentford last time out kept Barnsley's hopes alive heading into the final day. Currently, only out of the bottom three on goal difference, they travel to sixth-placed Derby, who only need a point to secure their play-off place.

However, Barnsley will be keen to spoil that party. Derby are the perennial bottlers in the Championship having thrown away must easier positions than this in the past. Gary Rowett is keen to shake off that tag but something tells me that both sides may settle for a point here.

Verdict: A battling point for Barnsley will not be enough as results elsewhere go against them

Burton (v Preston)

Burton Albion are the fourth team facing relegation who are up against a promotion contender. Anything less than a win for opponents Preston will mark bring an end to their play-off hopes whilst a defeat for Burton will confirm their relegation to League One.

A tough away trip in front of a motivated home crowd, unfortunately for Nigel Clough and his team, I think a defeat here will mark the end of their two-year stint in the second tier.

Verdict: Brewers heading down to League One

Bolton (v Forest)

Bolton Wanderers face on paper, the easiest fixture of their relegation rivals. Nottingham Forest have nothing to play for and will be dreaming of their summer holidays as they play out the final 90 minutes of their season.

Bolton currently have 40 points and because of their -36 goal difference, will need all three points to stand a chance at survival here. Although they are in shocking form, I think the Trotters are going to do it and survive on the final day.

Verdict: Bolton to cling on to Championship status

Predicted final table

Pos      Team                Pts

19th    Reading             43

20th    Bolton                43

21st    Birmingham       43

--------------------------------------

22nd    Barnsley            41

23rd     Burton               41

24th      Sunderland       34

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/reading-birmingham-barnsley-burton-or-bolton-who-is-getting-relegated-from-the-championship-on-the-final-day

WhiteJC

Birmingham City v Fulham
SUN 06 May 2018   Championship
Venue: St. Andrew's Stadium

Fulham have not lost since Aleksandar Mitrovic joined on loan from Newcastle in January

Birmingham City will have defender Harlee Dean available as they take on promotion-chasing Fulham in their final day battle against relegation.

Dean has been suspended for Blues' past two games but could return to action.

Fulham left-back Matt Targett (ankle) could be fit but Floyd Ayite, Neeskens Kebano and Sheyi Ojo will be assessed.

The Cottagers are unbeaten in 23 league games but need to better Cardiff's result against Reading to finish second and be promoted automatically.

The permutations on the final day

Birmingham

Birmingham start the final day in 20th and will be safe if they avoid defeat by Fulham, barring a Burton win by more than 10 goals at Preston.

If they lose, they will go down if:

Barnsley and Burton both win against Derby and Preston respectively
    Either Barnsley or Burton win and Bolton beat Nottingham Forest with a four-goal swing

Fulham

Fulham will start a point behind second-placed Cardiff and will be promoted if they better the Welsh club's result at home to Reading.

If Cardiff win, Fulham will finish third and will be involved in the play-offs.

SAM's prediction
Home win 15%   Draw 21%   Away win 64%

SAM, the Sports Analytics Machine, is a super-computer built by @ProfIanMcHale of the University of Liverpool.

Match facts

Blues have not won back-to-back home league matches against Fulham since December 1991, beating them 1-0 at St Andrew's last season.
    Fulham have not completed a Football League double over Birmingham since the 1952-53 campaign.
    Birmingham have not lost on the final day of the league season in any of their past six Championship campaigns (W3 D3) - their last defeat was in 2010-11 in the Premier League, losing 2-1 to Spurs.
    However, Fulham are unbeaten in 23 league games (W18 D5), the longest current unbeaten run across England's top four tiers.
    Garry Monk's three previous Championship meetings with Fulham have all ended 1-1.
    Birmingham City have the league's lowest scoring top goalscorer (Sam Gallagher with six) while only 12 different Birmingham players have found the back of the net this season, also a league low.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43938848

WhiteJC

Gareth Southgate considering Fulham star for England-call up

England manager Gareth Southgate has sent scouts to watch Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli as he considers him for a future England call-up, according to The Daily Mail.

Bettinelli's performances in goal for Fulham this season have helped his side push for promotion and they have not gone unnoticed with scouts watching him at his games.

Fulham are bracing themselves for Premier League bids this season if they fail to go up with West Ham United thought to be considering a swoop for the stopper in the summer window.

And England scouts have also been watching the 25-year-old as Southgate looks to find his next number one.

Joe Hart has had a poor season on loan at West Ham and he looks set to lose his starting spot for the Three Lions at the World Cup.

Everton's Jordan Pickford is expected to take the number one jersey for Southgate's side this summer with Jack Butland of Stoke City also knocking on the door.

Other goalkeepers being considered for an international call-up include Southampton's Alex McCarthy, Burnley duo Nick Pope and Tom Heaton and Norwich City's on-loan youngster Angus Gunn has even received a senior call-up.

With spaces up for grabs, Fulham goalkeeper Bettinelli will be hoping to impress the England scouts.

The Verdict

Fulham goalkeeper Bettinelli has improved his side's defence since replacing David Button. And the Cottagers will be hoping to keep him at the club this summer, although they might fail to do so if they don't go up. With Southgate previously saying that he wants his players to be playing Premier League football, the 25-year-old will need to leave this summer if Fulham stay in the Championship because it is a crucial stage of his career where he needs to chase his international ambitions.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/gareth-southgate-considering-fulham-star-for-england-call-up/

WhiteJC

Neil Warnock says Fulham are Manchester City's equivalent in the Championship

Cardiff manager Neil Warnock believes Fulham are comparable to Premier League champions Manchester City, with both sides vying for automatic promotion to the top-flight.

Cardiff host Paul Clement's Reading, who aren't certain of retaining their Championship status, on Sunday's final day of the regular season, live on Sky Sports Football.

Fulham, under Slavisa Jokanovic, visit strugglers Birmingham have earned praise for their free-flowing attacking football in the second half of the season and an extended unbeaten run but Warnock says his side have not received sufficient credit for their own performance - despite his side suffering three defeats from their last six matches.

Fulham are on a 23-match unbeaten run

"They have a lovely style. It is an easy style, like Manchester City. They are the Manchester City of the Championship really," Warnock said.

"When you see that they have gone twenty-three games undefeated and we are still above them, nobody really mentions our run.

"We haven't had a bad run either. I am sure they wish we weren't here."

Warnock can earn a record eighth career promotion at the weekend and the 69-year-old admits a burning desire to prove his doubters wrong holds firm late on in his managerial career.

"You get a little bit bitter as a manager when circumstances go against you. I think that is what drives me on to try and prove people wrong," he said.

"You have to have something as a manager behind you to drive you on, especially at my age. Most people are at the seaside on their deckchairs.

"Proving ex-chairmen wrong is probably my biggest drive if I am honest. It still burns with me. I still like to show people, that I have probably not had a great relationship with, what they have missed."

Warnock was appointed as the Bluebirds boss in October 2016 after helping Rotherham avoid relegation to the third tier - a job he says "whetted his appetite" in management - and the former Sheffield United and Crystal Palace manager understands the significance of what is a stake.

"Everybody knows how important it is. Apparently, all the supporters are very nervous so I am told. I don't know why! We have just got to enjoy it. All season it has been great," he said.

"I look at the forums here and there and when you look back to August it is quite funny. I wish I could talk to some of those guys now. As the season has progressed it is really interesting to see the fans' reactions.

"The one plus thing for me, is I think I have brought the whole club together over the 18 months I have been here. I think it was very fragmented when I came."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11704/11358113/neil-warnock-says-fulham-are-manchester-citys-equivalent-in-the-championship

WhiteJC

Warnock reveals Cardiff City won't be changing any of their pre-match preparations, but they will be checking the Fulham score on Sunday

Neil Warnock says Cardiff City won't be changing any of their pre-match preparations ahead of Sunday's huge clash with Reading.

An expectant sell-out crowd of more than 33,000 awaits the Bluebirds on Sunday as they attempt to secure promotion to the Premier League on the final day.

Warnock's men know they need to match or better Fulham's result on the final day to see the job out, but it's never quite that simple on the final day.

Nerves are setting in around South Wales as supporters gear up for Sunday afternoon, but despite pressure seeping in from all corners, the Cardiff City players and coaches won't be changing their approach ahead of the game, Warnock has revealed.

"You can't change," said the Yorkshireman. "We've already sorted things out because for a game like this, you get ridiculous things to do with tickets and families and I made sure that was all put to bed by Tuesday.

"There's no reason for anyone to look after people, which they do, it's automatic promotion. We have a job to do and we have to prepare as normal. We're doing it like we have been doing it.

"If they're not nervous, there's something wrong. I talked about my own preparation for matches and three or four hours before a game, I can't even smell food, let alone eat it and I'm sure the players will be in a similar situation.

"But in a way, that's a good thing about Reading becaus they're in a similar situation because they have something to play for as well. Their lads will be feeling the same pressure."

While Warnock and his coaching staff try to keep most things the same this Sunday, there are elements that simply have to be a little different.

Fulham's result elsewhere could have a bearing on Cardiff if they don't win, so one eye will be elsewhere.

Not all coaches like to know the score at the other games in such circumstances, but Warnock makes no bones about it, he wants to be kept in the loop this Sunday.

"Anybody who says they don't (care about other scores) are telling porkies," claimed the Bluebirds boss.

"It'll be the same for Reading. It's highly unlikely they will go down but I'm sure they will be looking, and the fans will let you know with oos and ahs.

"They'll be telling Blacky (Kevin Blackwell) the situation on the side, because I'll have enough on our mind.

"It's about what we do really. We have to win a game of football and that's how we look at it.

"I can see the lads are looking forward to it. It's an opportunity for all the lads. Some lads will never get the chance to play in the Premier League if we don't go up."

This Sunday will see the Bluebirds take on the added pressure of a full stadium, which they haven't experienced in the league this season.

Over 29,000 saw Cardiff defeated by Wolves in dramatic circumstances last month, but this weekend, there's set to be more than 33,000 in attendance.

However, Warnock has full confidence that his players can deliver in front of an expectant crowd, he added: "I don't think it will change much because we know how we play.

"We know about the opponents as we look into that all the time, and the atmosphere will be great, that's what we want.

"We looked at the grounds we've visited like Aston Villa, where they had 40,000 and that was quite intimidating but we coped well. We want our crowd to be as vociferous as that and to get behind us for the 90 minutes, and not just when we are doing well, we need the crowd on Sunday more than ever before.

"I hope that once they stopped biting their nails, they get loud and get behind us."

http://www.insidewalessport.co.uk/cardiff-change-preparations/

WhiteJC

Jaguars owner might not be allowed to buy Wembley Stadium until 2057

Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shahid Khan caused a bit of a stir last week when he announced his offer to purchase Wembley Stadium in London. It wasn't so much the proposed purchase price of $840 million — Khan is one of the world's richest people, so he can easily afford it — or the fact that a U.S. citizen wanted to purchase English soccer's biggest stage that had people buzzing, but rather that Khan told the BBC that ideally he'd like to configure Wembley so it could host a Super Bowl down the line.

Alas, there's a sticking point: According to the Daily Mail, the stadium-owning Football Association agreed not to sell Wembley for 50 years after receiving millions from the British government to finance construction of the new stadium, which was completed in 2007. So Khan would have to wait until 2057 to buy it, and he's 67 years old now, and you do the math.

In essence, the Daily Mail explains, the clause was put into the contract to prevent the FA from scoring a windfall from the sale of a stadium partially financed with public money. It also prevents the FA from selling a minority share of the stadium without government approval until this year and limits the size of any minority share to 15 percent until 2022.

The Daily Mail says Khan was aware of the protections. Along with the Jaguars, he has owned Premier League club Fulham since 2013.

According to the BBC, the FA has been called to testify before Parliament's Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee on July 18 to discuss the stadium's future.

"Wembley is the home of English football, built in part using public money," DCMS chair Damian Collins said. "There should be some public scrutiny of any decision to sell the stadium and how proceeds from this could be invested to benefit the long-term future of the game."

The FA would use proceeds from the proposed sale to spur soccer development in England, "which could increase the chances of England winning its first World Cup title since 1966," the AP's Rob Harris wrote last week.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/05/04/jaguars-owner-might-not-be-allowed-to-buy-wembley-stadium-until-2057/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.569a33eb56ce

WhiteJC

Matt Targett is fit to play for Fulham against Birmingham City after Sunderland injury scare

The 22-year-old left Craven Cottage in a protective boot after the 2-1 win over Sunderland last Friday

Matt Targett is fit to join the Fulham side as they head to Birmingham in the search of victory and potential automatic promotion.

The left back joined on loan from Southampton in January and has been an ever-present in the side since, making 17 appearances and scoring just the once for Fulham.

He hasn't lost yet, but fans feared the worst when he limped off the pitch in the 2-1 victory over Sunderland last Friday and left Craven Cottage with his foot in a protective boot.

Jokanovic said: "Targett is okay, all the team are ready.

"We are thinking only about our next step, we have opportunity to finish the season with 91 points and we will be ready for the challenge. I try put this situation under my control and where we will finish, we will see.

"We will be ready for next step after the game."

Tom Cairney also looked shaken in the opening minutes of the tie when he landed awkwardly after stretching for a ball, but he played on for the majority of the game.

However, the skipper will be fit for the trip to Birmingham on Sunday in the final day of the season as his side look to achieve automatic promotion.

Elsewhere, Floyd Ayite, Sheyi Ojo and Neeskens Kebano are fit and could return.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/matt-targett-fit-fulham-injury-14614569

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic: Fulham have 'nothing to lose' in promotion race, says boss

Fulham are on a 23-game unbeaten run in the Championship

Manager Slavisa Jokanovic says Fulham have "nothing to lose" as they try to beat Cardiff to the second automatic promotion spot on the final day of the Championship season on Sunday.

Fulham go to Birmingham, while Neil Warnock's Bluebirds host Reading.

The Whites are a point behind Cardiff and must better their result if they are to avoid the play-offs.

"Definitely they are in a better position than us. Even if they lose, they can be promoted," said Jokanovic.

"Cardiff are not under my control, I cannot be nervous or think so much about them because I can do nothing.

"I cannot lose anything because we've never been second."

Fulham have moved up to second place on three occasions, but each time Cardiff have had at least one game in hand and moved back above the London side.

Both of their final-day opponents have something tangible to play for, with Birmingham and Reading each just two points above the bottom three and still not safe from relegation.

"If somebody offered me and my team to be in this position a few months ago, immediately I sign," Jokanovic told BBC Radio London.

"What I expect from Reading - they are Reading players, they are going to be competitive and try to defend the Reading crest.

"I need to be worried about my game, but definitely in the last moment I will try to know what's happening on the other pitch."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44007847

WhiteJC

How a last-gasp penalty for Tenerife proves Slavisa Jokanovic has recipe for success at Fulham

The Serbian cut a cool figure ahead of the final day of the season - and that mindset is what's seen Fulham come this far

There's no room for nerves in Slavisa Jokanovic's life.

Fulham are one game away from the possibility of gaining promotion to the Premier League, the biggest prize in football, but it could be the eve of any old game for the Serbian.

Smiling and full of confidence in his pre-Birmingham press conference, you'd think Fulham were about to embark on the beginnings of a new campaign, rather than face the biggest (and final) game of the season.

But that's Jokanovic for you, and that's why Fulham find themselves on the longest unbeaten run in England this season and on the cusp of achieving something truly great.

It would have been easy to become agitated, emotional or nervous over the past few months as Fulham hunted down second spot, putting that unbeaten record on the line every week.

During that first half against Millwall, or after conceding that last-minute equaliser against Brentford, or even going 1-0 down to Sunderland, it would've been an easy option to let nerves get the better of you.

All three situations were different, but all required a mental toughness to not let it affect the side, and that toughness stems from the head coach.

It seems it's been a part of the mental side of Jokanovic for a long time too, going all the way back to his playing days with Tenerife.

Celta Vigo boss Unzúe, who played with Jokanovic at the Spanish club, believes the Serb is one of top five players he's played with because of that temperament.

(Image: Nick Potts/PA Wire)

"He really makes my top five because of his strong personality," he said.

"I'm going to explain the story. We at Tenerife were playing to stay up in the last game of the season and needed to win against Valencia. In the 80th minute we were trailing and we then scored an equaliser.

"In injury time we were awarded a penalty. We had our regular penalty-takers in the team, they were our strikers and goalscorers, but he (Jokanovic) said he was going to take it.

"He took the ball and headed over to the penalty spot and tucked it away in the top corner with a confidence that shocked us all."

And it's that confidence in his team's ability that has steered them from 17th to third, going 23 games unbeaten in the process.

Back in November, when the side were struggling and hovering down the lower reaches of the table, some wanted Fulham to part ways with Jokanovic and start their quest for the Premier League all over again.

But the head coach never let that affect his mindset, instead continuing to show faith in his side and his ability to get them where they wanted, something the players have bought into in their dozens.

Jokanovic showed faith in a 16-year-old boy in the Championship, and that player is now one of the best young talents in the entire world.

(Image: Rogan Thomson/JMP)

He showed faith in Stefan Johansen last season, who after his slow start to life at SW6, has become of the best midfielders in the division.

And he showed faith to both David Button and Marcus Bettinelli, giving them both their fair chance at holding the number one shirt once performances dictated a change needed to be made.

To be a successful coach, you need to be strong mentally, and Jokanovic has that.

His refusal to succumb to nerves in this run-in, and in football in general, will see Fulham go far - whether that be on Sunday through automatic promotion or through the play-offs and Wembley.

And it's why Jokanovic himself will go far in the world of managerial football.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/fulham-jokanovic-tenerife-penalty-promotion-14617493

WhiteJC

Cardiff City v Reading
SUN 06 May 2018   Championship
Venue: Cardiff City Stadium

Captain Sean Morrison is hoping to lead Cardiff City back to the Premier League after a four-year absence

Cardiff City, who will be promoted back to the Premier League if they match Fulham's result at Birmingham City, will be without midfielder Aron Gunnarsson (knee).

Marko Grujic or Craig Bryson are set to deputise for the Iceland international.

Reading welcome back long-term injury absentees centre-back Paul McShane and winger Callum Harriott.

Defenders Tyler Blackett (banned) and Omar Richards (calf) are out but winger Leandro Bacuna returns from suspension.

The permutations

Cardiff

Cardiff will claim the second automatic promotion place if they win, or if they at least match Fulham's result at Birmingham.

Third-placed Fulham, who will start one point behind Cardiff, will be promoted if they better Cardiff's result.

Reading

Reading will be safe if they avoid defeat, as long as Burton do not win at Preston by more than 20 goals.

If the Royals lose, they will go down if all of the following three results happen:

Barnsley beat Derby
    Burton beat Preston
    Birmingham avoid defeat by Fulham

SAM's prediction
Home win 73%   Draw 17%   Away win 10%

SAM, the Sports Analytics Machine, is a super-computer built by @ProfIanMcHale of the University of Liverpool.

Reading manager Paul Clement told BBC Radio Berkshire:

"After the Ipswich defeat (4-0 at home), I thought about playing the under-23s side for this fixture. But that's not reality or sensible to do that.

"There will be a couple of changes. Players have been focused and know that we've missed a couple of opportunities in the past two games to make ourselves safe.

"But, we've not played well in those games and we have to do a lot better in what is a very, very big challenge on Sunday.

"It's a big game for us, but it's also a massive game for them and they'll be some nerves from their side as well."

Match facts

Cardiff have won three of their past four home league meetings with Reading (L1) although they lost 1-0 last season.
    The Royals are unbeaten in their past four league games against Cardiff (W2 D2).
    Cardiff have won 13 of their 20 Championship games in 2018 - only Fulham have won more since the turn of the year (16).
    By contrast, only Sunderland (two) have won fewer Championship games than Reading (three) in 2018.
    Neil Warnock is set to face Reading in a home match for the first time since November 2010 with QPR, a 3-1 win - his past six games against them have all been at the Madejski Stadium.
    Junior Hoilett has both scored more goals (nine) and provided more assists (11) this season than he has in any of his previous eight seasons in England.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43938851