The Official Silly Season Summer Transfer Thread 2018/19

Started by Mince n Tatties, May 17, 2018, 05:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: Statto on June 19, 2018, 08:14:54 AM
Quote from: wheelerdeeler on June 19, 2018, 12:30:39 AM
Quote from: Statto on June 19, 2018, 12:24:13 AM
Quote from: wheelerdeeler on June 18, 2018, 09:05:15 PM
Wolves aren't our direct rivals. At least where transfers are concerned. Unless you fancy giving Jorge Mendes the freedom of Craven Cottage.

So our CEO and multibillionaire owner can't get a an agent onside somehow? Hardly a valid excuse, more like a damning indictment, if true.

Sorry but we should not feel inferior to Wolves in any way. The edge they had last season was because low investment in preceding seasons gave them a lot of wriggle room under FFP. That edge has gone.

So what you're saying is you'd want the Khan's to buy a stake in an agency like Fosun did with Gestifute, which isn't entirely legal and will most likely be made completely illegal in the next year or two exactly because of Wolves to sign players who are almost definitely just moving for the money. Plus, Mendes has a track record for royally screwing teams over by forcing his players onto teams like he did with Valencia and it set them back years. Also, a reminder that the last "super agent" team we saw in English football before Wolves were Doncaster and they got relegated from the Championship. 

Somehow I think I'll take staying on the "white" side of all of this rather than moving into the grey, because it'll be a lot less messy when it all blows up. Plus it's not like you need a super agent to stay up. You just need to buy smartly like Huddersfield and Brighton did with Groß, Zanka, Izquierdo etc.

All transfer deals will be negotiated through an agent, and almost all players/agents will ultimately be looking primarily at the money, so to some extent I'm unsure what your point is.

I'm not saying we need one in-house, or that we can't avoid the odd agent who's particularly greedy or dodgy, but we cannot try to do transfer business without dealing with agents and spending money.

And It would make sense to have a few agents with whom we're on good familiar terms. Actually I expect we already do. Every  club exploits those connections, just as we all do in equivalent everyday contexts like moving jobs or house.

We clearly are working with some specific agents though based on the rumours that are coming out. It's not a coincidence that Krychowiak, Roque Mesa and Grealish are all represented by the same agency. Don't be surprised to see another name or two crop up from this list of players either.
https://www.transfermarkt.com/stellar-football-ltd/beraterfirma/berater/190

My money would be on Conor Hourihane, Rob Holding and maybe Hart or Forster.

Barrett487

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on June 19, 2018, 01:23:55 PM

Experience isn't everything though.... Betts is less prone to errors than Hart imo and i've never particularly rated Forster.

Tabby

Quote from: Deeping_white on June 19, 2018, 10:50:28 AM
Rodrigo Battaglia just terminated his contract with Sporting so that could be a good signing. Better than Kmac and a good holding midfielder to sign on a free.

We might have a chance there. Not a Mendes pawn and not high profile enough that there'll be loads richer clubs looking into him.

FFC1987

I've actually seen us linked to Forster already....I think he'd be dreadful/unsuited to us. Watched him a few times at Saints before he lost his place and his main downfall is his footwork and distribution. nearly always favours lumping it long even when he has time and options in front of him. Great shot stopper and would do better at a club like Cardiff in my opinion.

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: FFC1987 on June 19, 2018, 10:01:25 AM
Definitely not panicking but making a comparison between most squads in the EPL and how much they've spent/signed seems a little silly to me considering we currently have one of the lightest and poor squads. We're the ones in desperate need to sign players really so i'd expect a few shortly, even if its retaining many of the loan players on permanent deals. Losing Mitro/Piazon/Kalas/Ojo/Nor wood/Targett to our squad is a huge hole to fill. As I said, not panicking but we do need to do some business before our pre season prep becomes wasted on players who will likely not play or drop into reserves.

Exactly, we have a lot more work to do than any other PL clubs. We currently have a total of 16 players in our first team squad and that includes Djalo, Cisse, Fonte, Woodrow. It's not just a matter of signing players. They need time to settle in as well. If we start this season like we did last year we will be more or less relegated by December.

Nero

Wolves aren't our direct rivals. At least where transfers are concerned. Unless you fancy giving Jorge Mendes the freedom of Craven Cottage.

So our CEO and multibillionaire owner can't get a an agent onside somehow? Hardly a valid excuse, more like a damning indictment, if true.

Sorry but we should not feel inferior to Wolves in any way. The edge they had last season was because low investment in preceding seasons gave them a lot of wriggle room under FFP. That edge has gone.

So what you're saying is you'd want the Khan's to buy a stake in an agency like Fosun did with Gestifute, which isn't entirely legal and will most likely be made completely illegal in the next year or two exactly because of Wolves to sign players who are almost definitely just moving for the money. Plus, Mendes has a track record for royally screwing teams over by forcing his players onto teams like he did with Valencia and it set them back years. Also, a reminder that the last "super agent" team we saw in English football before Wolves were Doncaster and they got relegated from the Championship. 

Somehow I think I'll take staying on the "white" side of all of this rather than moving into the grey, because it'll be a lot less messy when it all blows up. Plus it's not like you need a super agent to stay up. You just need to buy smartly like Huddersfield and Brighton did with Groß, Zanka, Izquierdo etc.

All transfer deals will be negotiated through an agent, and almost all players/agents will ultimately be looking primarily at the money, so to some extent I'm unsure what your point is.

I'm not saying we need one in-house, or that we can't avoid the odd agent who's particularly greedy or dodgy, but we cannot try to do transfer business without dealing with agents and spending money.

And It would make sense to have a few agents with whom we're on good familiar terms. Actually I expect we already do. Every  club exploits those connections, just as we all do in equivalent everyday contexts like moving jobs or house.

We clearly are working with some specific agents though based on the rumours that are coming out. It's not a coincidence that Krychowiak, Roque Mesa and Grealish are all represented by the same agency. Don't be surprised to see another name or two crop up from this list of players either.

or is it the agent just trying to create interest in his players by linking them to Fulham.

Anyway dont worry about signings, I have it on good authority from the cat at Motspur parks sister brother we are just going to sign the world cup dream team

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: Nero on June 19, 2018, 05:56:43 PM

or is it the agent just trying to create interest in his players by linking them to Fulham.

Anyway dont worry about signings, I have it on good authority from the cat at Motspur parks sister brother we are just going to sign the world cup dream team

I think a lot of the rumours come from agents (obviously), but I'd be pretty certain we're after (at least) one of their clients and then the rumours have come from the agent offering "X" player to us. Same for Jordan Ayew, who's represented by the same agency that do Sessegnon, Cairney (and a few other Fulham players) so we'll be on good terms with them and they might have offered him to us.

cmg

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on June 19, 2018, 06:18:15 PM

.....Same for Jordan Ayew, who's represented by the same agency that do Sessegnon, Cairney (and a few other Fulham players) so we'll be on good terms with them and they might have offered him to us.

Also agents for Ryan Fredericks (that one didn't work out totally to our advantage) and also Harry Kane (which could come in handy if the Mitro deal doesn't happen).

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: cmg on June 19, 2018, 06:46:34 PM

.....Same for Jordan Ayew, who's represented by the same agency that do Sessegnon, Cairney (and a few other Fulham players) so we'll be on good terms with them and they might have offered him to us.

Also agents for Ryan Fredericks (that one didn't work out totally to our advantage) and also Harry Kane (which could come in handy if the Mitro deal doesn't happen).

I mean, there's not much we can do as far as agents go if another club is offering a level of money to the player (and presumably the agent) that we won't match.

cmg

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on June 19, 2018, 06:56:43 PM
Quote from: cmg on June 19, 2018, 06:46:34 PM

I mean, there's not much we can do as far as agents go if another club is offering a level of money to the player (and presumably the agent) that we won't match.

Nope. Not a thing. At the end of the day it's the folding green stuff that matters.
I am sure the agents love their clients dearly and have the greatest respect for the clubs they deal with - but it's the money they worship.

Tabby

Quote from: Statto on June 19, 2018, 07:52:48 PM

So going back to the original point about Wolves, why should we resign ourselves to signing lower quality players than they get, just because they've got one particular agent effectively working in house for them?

Because that agent is controlling those specific players? I don't know what to tell you. Mendes just so happens to have made a deal with Wolves. It is no different than when Watford was loaning half of Udinese under Pozzo.

Doesn't mean we aim for "lower quality players", just that we can't get those specific ones.

wheelerdeeler

I think a lot of the rumours come from agents (obviously), but I'd be pretty certain we're after (at least) one of their clients and then the rumours have come from the agent offering "X" player to us. Same for Jordan Ayew, who's represented by the same agency that do Sessegnon, Cairney (and a few other Fulham players) so we'll be on good terms with them and they might have offered him to us.

So going back to the original point about Wolves, why should we resign ourselves to signing lower quality players than they get, just because they've got one particular agent effectively working in house for them?

Your original point was talking about the Khan's "inability" to get an agent "onside". Which isn't fair, and more to the point isn't entirely legal. The Gestifute clients are just roped off for us, it's not the end of the world and doesn't prevent us from signing good players- just not those good players. Especially players like Rui Patricio who would be going to a top tier Champions League side were they not going to Wolves because of Mendes. He was literally about to join Napoli before Ancelotti came in.   

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: Statto on June 19, 2018, 08:27:31 PM
Quote from: wheelerdeeler on June 19, 2018, 08:22:11 PM

Your original point was talking about the Khan's "inability" to get an agent "onside". Which isn't fair, and more to the point isn't entirely legal. The Gestifute clients are just roped off for us, it's not the end of the world and doesn't prevent us from signing good players- just not those good players. Especially players like Rui Patricio who would be going to a top tier Champions League side were they not going to Wolves because of Mendes. He was literally about to join Napoli before Ancelotti came in. 

Sorry but saying that "isn't entirely legal", I don't really buy that excuse. Either it is legal, or it's something illegal that you can get away with. Either way, if it gives you a competitive advantage, we should be doing it. Or doing something equivalent, albeit not as direct or concentrated through a single agent, which as I (and you) have said, we probably are doing. Which again goes back me original point that we should be looking and expecting to sign equally good players as Wolves are.

We can't sign players as good as Wolves. They were signing Champions League captains while they were in the Championship. They're being linked with signing Right-Backs for 35-40 million quid.

But that doesn't mean we can't sign quality players. We'll just be a bit more sensible about it and not be entirely beholden to the whims of one agent. I wouldn't expect us to compete with Everton and Leicester in-terms of transfers, so nor should I with Wolves because it'll most likely be those three competing for 7th next season meanwhile we'll be competing for 17th.

General

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on June 19, 2018, 08:33:10 PM

Sorry but saying that "isn't entirely legal", I don't really buy that excuse. Either it is legal, or it's something illegal that you can get away with. Either way, if it gives you a competitive advantage, we should be doing it. Or doing something equivalent, albeit not as direct or concentrated through a single agent, which as I (and you) have said, we probably are doing. Which again goes back me original point that we should be looking and expecting to sign equally good players as Wolves are.

We can't sign players as good as Wolves. They were signing Champions League captains while they were in the Championship. They're being linked with signing Right-Backs for 35-40 million quid.

But that doesn't mean we can't sign quality players. We'll just be a bit more sensible about it and not be entirely beholden to the whims of one agent. I wouldn't expect us to compete with Everton and Leicester in-terms of transfers, so nor should I with Wolves because it'll most likely be those three competing for 7th next season meanwhile we'll be competing for 17th.

Whoah, slow down there.. They're using the fact that their Portuguese coach is very highly regarded in Portugal and signing a lot of players from Portugal or who are Portuguese. It's equivalent to us signing mitrovic due to his serbian connection to slavisa. Stop being irrational.

Tabby

Quote from: Tabby on June 19, 2018, 11:41:11 AM
Quote from: Barrett487 on June 19, 2018, 10:31:48 AM
More fuel to to the Swedish LB rumour, however the bit about Sess is Hogwash

They're not wrong that it will ramp up speculation. Someone sneezing at Motspur Park would accomplish that, much less a signing that plays as LB and LW.

Lo and behold, their prediction came true: http://football-talk.co.uk/139336/transfer-news-man-utd-tottenham-given-fresh-hope-of-signing-50m-star/

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: General on June 19, 2018, 08:43:41 PM
Quote from: wheelerdeeler on June 19, 2018, 08:33:10 PM

Whoah, slow down there.. They're using the fact that their Portuguese coach is very highly regarded in Portugal and signing a lot of players from Portugal or who are Portuguese. It's equivalent to us signing mitrovic due to his serbian connection to slavisa. Stop being irrational.

There's a bit of a difference between signing Mitrovic, who couldn't get a game in the Prem last season, to Wolves signing Rui Patricio who's a genuine world class Keeper.

Deeping_white

Can we keep this thread to actual transfer rumours rather than arguing about Wolves transfer dealings?? Over a page of posts but they're arguing about old news of Wolves and Jorge Mendes

@jolslover

My 2¢ Wolves will be top 6 in the Prem in 3 years. Is probably irrelevant talking about them though.
STH H3

BestOfBrede

Quote from: Deeping_white on June 19, 2018, 09:02:34 PM
Can we keep this thread to actual transfer rumours rather than arguing about Wolves transfer dealings?? Over a page of posts but they're arguing about old news of Wolves and Jorge Mendes
Well said and while we're at it, any chance of stopping this ridiculous replying to the WHOLE thread?
It takes up half a kin page each time!
Surely it's not difficult to edit so only the 'point' you are replying to is copied!?

fulhamben

Jack whilshire is leaving arsenal. I would take him in a heart beat. Would fit straight in with our style. Doubt we would pay his wages though
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.