https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Silly Season Summer Transfer Thread 2018/19

Started by Mince n Tatties, May 17, 2018, 05:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: Statto on June 19, 2018, 12:24:13 AM
Quote from: wheelerdeeler on June 18, 2018, 09:05:15 PM
Wolves aren't our direct rivals. At least where transfers are concerned. Unless you fancy giving Jorge Mendes the freedom of Craven Cottage.

So our CEO and multibillionaire owner can't get a an agent onside somehow? Hardly a valid excuse, more like a damning indictment, if true.

Sorry but we should not feel inferior to Wolves in any way. The edge they had last season was because low investment in preceding seasons gave them a lot of wriggle room under FFP. That edge has gone.

So what you're saying is you'd want the Khan's to buy a stake in an agency like Fosun did with Gestifute, which isn't entirely legal and will most likely be made completely illegal in the next year or two exactly because of Wolves to sign players who are almost definitely just moving for the money. Plus, Mendes has a track record for royally screwing teams over by forcing his players onto teams like he did with Valencia and it set them back years. Also, a reminder that the last "super agent" team we saw in English football before Wolves were Doncaster and they got relegated from the Championship. 

Somehow I think I'll take staying on the "white" side of all of this rather than moving into the grey, because it'll be a lot less messy when it all blows up. Plus it's not like you need a super agent to stay up. You just need to buy smartly like Huddersfield and Brighton did with Groß, Zanka, Izquierdo etc.

David I

No movement in the transfer department as the club haven't tied Slav down to a new contract....

wheelerdeeler

It's simply a slow part of the transfer window. Think there's been roughly 20 signings across the whole Premier League, and one of them was Wolves signing Afobe who they then sold and another was Huddersfield signing a sub Keeper. Just the nature of a World Cup year (and the fact we're still in June and most players who aren't at the World Cup will be on a beach somewhere). Would expect things to kick up a gear once the Group Stages are over and half the teams are out.

It's not ideal for us obviously, but it's where we are.

OMalleyCat

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on June 19, 2018, 01:35:46 AM
It's simply a slow part of the transfer window. Think there's been roughly 20 signings across the whole Premier League, and one of them was Wolves signing Afobe who they then sold and another was Huddersfield signing a sub Keeper. Just the nature of a World Cup year (and the fact we're still in June and most players who aren't at the World Cup will be on a beach somewhere). Would expect things to kick up a gear once the Group Stages are over and half the teams are out.

It's not ideal for us obviously, but it's where we are.

Agreed, nothing will happen until after the Cup.

wheelerdeeler

Going through the BBC Website there's been a total of 21 signings so far in the Premier League (it's possible I missed one or two);
Stephan Lichtsteiner (Arsenal)
Florin Andone (Brighton), Leon Balogun (Brighton)
Greg Cunningham (Cardiff), Josh Murphy (Cardiff)
Vicente Guaita (Palace)
Ramadan Sobhi (Huddersfield), Terence Kongolo (Huddersfield), Ben Hamer (Huddersfield)
Jonny Evans (Leicester), Ricardo Pereira (Leicester)
Fabinho (Liverpool)
Diogo Dalot (Man Utd)
Marc Navarro (Watford), Gerard Deulofeu (Watford), Ben Wilmot (Watford)
Ryan Fredericks (West Ham)
Rui Patricio (Wolves), Raul Jimenez (Wolves), Benik Afobe (Wolves), Willy Boly (Wolves)

So to put things into perspective for the people panicking, a total of 21 signings have been made in the Premier League so far. One has already left in Afobe, 4 were already deals prior to the window opening/loans being made permanent in place in Afobe, Guaita, Boly and Kongolo. Ben Hamer will be lucky to get a minute in the Prem for Huddersfield.

Along with us Bournemouth, Burnley, Chelsea, Everton, Man City, Newcastle, Southampton and Spurs all haven't made signings yet- and apart from Chelsea, Everton, City and Spurs we'll be competing with all of them to stay up.

We've started later than everyone by going up in the Play-Offs, again, to put things into perspective Huddersfield only started to role the signings in at the start of July last season- and that was without 700 odd players being very hard to sign for a minimum of two weeks.

Mince n Tatties

Sarri set to become Chelski boss with Zola as his No 2.

Mince n Tatties

MJG

Quote from: Statto on June 19, 2018, 12:24:13 AM
Quote from: wheelerdeeler on June 18, 2018, 09:05:15 PM
Wolves aren't our direct rivals. At least where transfers are concerned. Unless you fancy giving Jorge Mendes the freedom of Craven Cottage.

So our CEO and multibillionaire owner can't get a an agent onside somehow? Hardly a valid excuse, more like a damning indictment, if true.

Sorry but we should not feel inferior to Wolves in any way. The edge they had last season was because low investment in preceding seasons gave them a lot of wriggle room under FFP. That edge has gone.
can't agree with us getting in bed with one agent like wolves did. We sort of went down that road under Jol and not the way to do things in my book.
Just the views of a long term fan

Hoppus

Fabian Haider @ Twitter:
"Austrian media confirming that #Fulham are apparently willing to offer 8M for attacking midflielder Peter Zulj from @SKSturm . Player of the season in the Austrian Bundesliga last season! #coyw #ffc".

OMalleyCat

?s=19

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

toshes mate

Quote from: Statto on June 19, 2018, 08:14:54 AM
All transfer deals will be negotiated through an agent, and almost all players/agents will ultimately be looking primarily at the money, so to some extent I'm unsure what your point is.

I'm not saying we need one in-house, or that we can't avoid the odd agent who's particularly greedy or dodgy, but we cannot try to do transfer business without dealing with agents and spending money.

And It would make sense to have a few agents with whom we're on good familiar terms. Actually I expect we already do. Every  club exploits those connections, just as we all do in equivalent everyday contexts like moving jobs or house.
All sensible points, IMO.  The key to effective negotiations is to always get all the people involved onside, and read between the lines when conversations take place.

supersimmo123

Dean Jones from Bleacher Report on Twitter: Fulham are pursuing their interest in Jack Grealish.

FFC1987

Definitely not panicking but making a comparison between most squads in the EPL and how much they've spent/signed seems a little silly to me considering we currently have one of the lightest and poor squads. We're the ones in desperate need to sign players really so i'd expect a few shortly, even if its retaining many of the loan players on permanent deals. Losing Mitro/Piazon/Kalas/Ojo/Nor wood/Targett to our squad is a huge hole to fill. As I said, not panicking but we do need to do some business before our pre season prep becomes wasted on players who will likely not play or drop into reserves.

MJG

So Man City did a tweet about something or other and one reply was this

everyone needs to calm down ;-)
Just the views of a long term fan

Woolly Mammoth

I am sure and hope the club knows the task in front of them, and maybe, just maybe, seeds have been sown and negotiations are in the pending tray.
Like London Buses complete one signing and a profusion of signings shall follow.
Basically it has to happen, because at the moment we are the newest club in the Premier League with the smallest squad.
Time is ticking, naturally a little frustration is building.
They must know their targets by now. So I can imagine it's all going on behind the scenes as the recruiting department beavers away burning the midnight oil. The Entry Door has been oiled and revarnished, and all the dust, cobwebs and tumbleweed have vanished, we are under starters orders for the Recruitment Drive, the next 6 weeks are pivotal.
Fulham FC will recruit the necessary players, they have got us this far have they not, have some faith and a little patience.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

FFC1987

I'd just of at least expected some of the loan players to have signed by now. The world cup is a major spanner in the works though even for players who aren't there as agents etc will all be there so that needs to be taken in consideration i suppose.

filham

Quote from: Tabby on June 18, 2018, 11:06:52 PM
Huh, hope Dan does well, but it seems like an odd signing.
Dan was always very good in the air, it is possible he has developed well since he left us. I always liked him and would not be surprised that in a good team he looks Premiership quality.

Barrett487

More fuel to to the Swedish LB rumour, however the bit about Sess is Hogwash

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-man-utd-tottenham-given-sessegnon-lift-as-fulham-close-in-on-new-left-back

Fulham are targeting Swedish international Ludwig Augustinsson and have already contacted his club Werder Bremen, we can exclusively reveal.

The Cottagers want to bring in a left-back and they had been chasing Southampton's Matt Targett, who finished last season on-loan at Craven Cottage and performed brilliantly for the west London side.

However, the Saints hierarchy are now of the mind to keep Targett and allow another left-back Sam McQueen to leave.

But the mere fact that Slavisa Jokanovic's men are after a new left-sided defender is sure to ramp up the speculation that Ryan Sessegnon could be on the move again.

Both Manchester United and Tottenham have been strongly linked with a move for the 18-year-old, who had been tipped by some outsiders to gatecrash England's World Cup squad.

The England Under-21 star, who can left left-back or left wing, is rated at £50million and has also been previously linked with Liverpool.

As for Fulham's search for a new full-back, they are still in contact with Southampton over Targett – but they also have other irons in the fire and their top target is Augustinsson.

The highly-rated 24-year-old, who has previously been on Liverpool's radar, joined Werder 18 months ago and has impressed in the Bundesliga, but now Fulham are ready to bring him to the Premier League.

Deeping_white

Rodrigo Battaglia just terminated his contract with Sporting so that could be a good signing. Better than Kmac and a good holding midfielder to sign on a free.

Tabby

Quote from: Barrett487 on June 19, 2018, 10:31:48 AM
More fuel to to the Swedish LB rumour, however the bit about Sess is Hogwash

They're not wrong that it will ramp up speculation. Someone sneezing at Motspur Park would accomplish that, much less a signing that plays as LB and LW.