News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What makes villas situation worse than ours?

Started by General, May 29, 2018, 11:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

There seems to be this huge cloud over the club after losing the playoff final and going into their last season with parachute payments. It's as if it's a untenable situation where they have to expect the worst but I'm wondering why?

They talk about players on loan going back to their clubs, wages and all the rest, but I fail to see the difference between us in the same 3rd year of us going down vs them.

We had to rely on resigning loan players and keeping the squad in tact and had we not gone up we'd have found it a lot harder but they still have that final year, with the potential motivation of three top team now no longer in the league they should arguably be looking at consolidating their place and really pushing in next year to get automatic promotion.

Is it perhaps because their wage bill was far higher? That their club/stadium being bigger requires more money to upkeep? That they don't have confidence in the project they're trying to achieve?

Seems odd that with one year left they're panicking despite having had such a good season. They're also talking of getting rid of Bruce, which seems a bit of a snap judgement. Not only has Bruce made them competitive at the right end of the table, he has huge experience in getting teams out of the championship and managed to do all of that whilst getting the best out of grealish etc despite losing both his parents this season just gone.. if that doesn't affect performance then I don't know what will..

Think they're on to a good thing.. shame and slightly confused as to why they're all getting so panic stricken.

Southcoastffc

Without knowing much detail I heard Danny Murphy say this "I think Villa need it more. There's more pressure on Villa because of the outlay that they've put out and the wages they're paying. Fulham can go into this with a little more freedom – the club's not going to be in financial trouble if they don't go up."

Some more detailed info here:  https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tony-xia-villa-ffp-championship-14717203
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

MJG

Just the views of a long term fan

snarks

Their parachute payments fall and they were already overextended with their purchases over the last 2 years. They spent over £80 million. They have a huge wage bill (Ross Mc being part of it). So need to offload. MJG did a thread about Bruce's transfer dealings at clubs and the state he leaves the clubs in when Fulham were looking for a new boss. Villa are following the pattern.

MJG

Quote from: snarks on May 29, 2018, 11:36:48 AM
Their parachute payments fall and they were already overextended with their purchases over the last 2 years. They spent over £80 million. They have a huge wage bill (Ross Mc being part of it). So need to offload. MJG did a thread about Bruce's transfer dealings at clubs and the state he leaves the clubs in when Fulham were looking for a new boss. Villa are following the pattern.
I had to find it

This is my fav item about him...7 years old but still holds true https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked
and here is rthe thread on FOF when we were linked with him in early 2015 for a summer 2015 job here. http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=45674.msg637546;topicseen#msg637546

Just the views of a long term fan

snarks

Thanks, I was hoping you would find it, I wasn't even sure what thread to look under. So glad we didn't go for him.

HamsterWheel

Good to be reminded of Ross McCormack's continued effect on Villa!

Carborundum

Basically, they would seem headed down to base camp for a bit of a rethink before making another push for the summit.  Big club though they are, they are really no bigger than Leeds.....

Milo

Captain and best player likely to leave for different reasons.

Then half their first team are loans.

Coupled with financial restrictions...

It means a complete rebuild but in territory they're not used to. They will feel like they are not in control and blind as to how to approach things.

F(f)CUK

Quote from: Milo on May 29, 2018, 02:30:24 PM
Captain and best player likely to leave for different reasons.

Then half their first team are loans.

Coupled with financial restrictions...

It means a complete rebuild but in territory they're not used to. They will feel like they are not in control and blind as to how to approach things.
Add to this that their team average age was over 30.

However, despite all this Fulham would have been in a worse situation than Villa had we not gone up.  Their fan base will ensure that in the long term they will be able to outspend others in the division.  They just have to start restructuring and working out how to bring youth and speed into the team.

Vinnieffc

Interesting Guardian article MJG. Bruce seems a niceish bloke but often struck me as as a little limited on the more cerebral side of the game

Roberty

They are in the same rock or a hard place as we were when relegated

Basically - their squad is over aged and highly paid - which means most have limited resale value

We are in so much better shape and I doubt that few if any of our squad could not have been sold if we'd missed out on Saturday

Thankfully we didn't and I think the owners resolve will allow us to recruit some quality players without having to sell the family silver

It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Nero

Quote from: Roberty on May 29, 2018, 03:59:24 PM
They are in the same rock or a hard place as we were when relegated

Basically - their squad is over aged and highly paid - which means most have limited resale value

We are in so much better shape and I doubt that few if any of our squad could not have been sold if we'd missed out on Saturday

Thankfully we didn't and I think the owners resolve will allow us to recruit some quality players without having to sell the family silver

The difference is we got rid of all the players on high wages expect Parker in the 1st season and rebuilt, they kept a lot of players and high wages brought more in on high wages thinking it was foregone that they would be promoted, they think they have a god given right to be in the top league bit like Leeds let them suffer with them.