watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Looking down to the championship

Started by Andy S, June 23, 2018, 12:33:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

With an eye on the championship what advice would you give other clubs that were in the play-offs with us?

General

Have no expectations on how your team will do, take each game as it comes and appreciate what it means for only one of four teams to get promoted. Managing your own expectations is key.

On a side note though and I appreciate it's me being pedantic but I'm not sure it's fair to use the 'looking down' on the championship phrase.. we've only just got out of the league after four hard years of trying and if anything the one thing I'll take from the Championship is a newfound respect and interest in the league which I was perhaps far to dismissive of beforehand. It's a good league with good players and managers and is competitive too. Many teams go down from the premiership and underestimate how much it's come on and do a Sunderland and bypass it almost immediately because thy don't give it the respect it deserves and we were close to being one of those ourselves.

Financially too its the 4th? Biggest league financially and is starting to attract very good players in its own right as a result.

Think it's a disservice to look down on it now when taking those things into consideration and the fact that all three championship clubs managed to stay up last season.

General

I genuinely wouldnt be suprised if due to the money available and the willingness of foreign investors in buying clubs if over the years the championship slowly creeps up to an increasingly similar standard of football to the premiership.. there'll always be a disconnect with the biggest teams like the city's, spurs, liverpool, arsenals and utd's as they've developed a huge international brand and stadia to boot but slowly the money will increase and so will the championships appeal to better and better players and managers.

MrFFC

Tough tough league will miss the championship it's a very competitive league where so many teams are usually in the hunt for the play offs. No better day than winning the play off final
Come on you Whites!! :)

Milo

Last season showed there's plenty of ways to skin a cat - Wolves, Fulham and Cardiff all different sides.

Our inspired move was the Rigg mantra of buying everyone's player of the season. The backbone of the squad are from that summer:

Ream
Cairney
MacDonald

Andy S

I have to say I have ultimate respect for the league and the competition within it. My advice would be you have time to get things in to place. You don't have to hit the ground running from day 1. You do however need the whole club to pull in the same direction

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Milo on June 23, 2018, 08:03:40 AM
Last season showed there's plenty of ways to skin a cat - Wolves, Fulham and Cardiff all different sides.

Our inspired move was the Rigg mantra of buying everyone's player of the season. The backbone of the squad are from that summer:

Ream
Cairney
MacDonald
Iam not sure of that mantra - O'Hara, Lonergan, Stearman.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Nero

I would tell Leeds fans not to get too excited, it could be xmas before they get a win

Wolf

Quote from: Southcoastffc on June 23, 2018, 08:46:13 AM
Quote from: Milo on June 23, 2018, 08:03:40 AM

Ream
Cairney
MacDonald
Iam not sure of that mantra - O'Hara, Lonergan, Stearman.

And a club's player of the season is never going to be a value for money purchase. However the real evidence against this "inspiration" was Stearman who was awful, and O'Hara who was awful yet Symons built a narrow, ponderous and predictable team around.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

Fulhamfan666

Best league on the planet in my opinion. I'll still be following it next season...so fascinating and intense!

filham

The amazing thing about the Championship is how equal the teams are, there is no obvious top six, almost all of the teams have a good chance of promotion via the play offs, every match is meaningful, at Easter a team is either close to relegation or promotion.

The advice to any team is treat every game as a cup final as the points from this game could be the ones that take you up.

Syd Cupp

One of the Best leagues In Europe..!! 
Bold statement but true IMO as its full of ex-prem teams.

A good league competitively where anyone can beat anyone on the day.
A League if you put on a good run the opportunities are there for promotion (Fulham and I think Palace a few seasons ago).
where Pedigree and history goes out of the window (Sunderland, Villa etc).

If your team can play the style that we managed over the past 2 seasons then there is always a chance of getting out.

Warnings would be spend well be cautious key loan signings of players that want to prove themselves.

Best thing though is enjoy it.

SP

Quote from: MrFFC on June 23, 2018, 06:53:46 AM
Tough tough league will miss the championship it's a very competitive league where so many teams are usually in the hunt for the play offs. No better day than winning the play off final

Even tougher next season due to the number of northern teams, a fair bit of additional travel for the London teams.

NJFulham

Quote from: SP on June 23, 2018, 01:26:08 PM
Quote from: MrFFC on June 23, 2018, 06:53:46 AM

Even tougher next season due to the number of northern teams, a fair bit of additional travel for the London teams.

Newcastle's CLOSEST away trip next season is Burnley.

hovewhite

Great division ,only downside away distances.
But loved the championship personally.

Walsh

the Championship is a better league then the Premiership for me. More games, better fans and some great away days. I am happy we're in the Prem but I will miss the Championship, the only thing that's good about the Prem is the money and being able to attract better players.

Maidstone Lee

I'm going to miss the Championship, getting to see all these different teams visiting different grounds and allowing Fulham to not only play at Wembley but win as well.

Having said that, I don't want to see Fulham playing in that league again.

Great journey, now we need to do everything we can to stay and kick on in the Prem!
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

The Enclosurite

Quote from: Andy S on June 23, 2018, 12:33:11 AM
With an eye on the championship what advice would you give other clubs that were in the play-offs with us?

Don't employ Craig Kline.
¡COYW!

FFCAli

Quote from: The Enclosurite on June 25, 2018, 01:45:30 PM
Quote from: Andy S on June 23, 2018, 12:33:11 AM

Don't employ Craig Kline.

:plus one:

MrFFC

That you can play decent football on the floor & get promoted out of the championship (Fulham&Wolves)
Come on you Whites!! :)