more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why do some supporters pretend that relegation is ok

Started by Andy S, July 09, 2018, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HV71

Quote from: Carborundum on July 09, 2018, 08:30:25 PM
Well, it seems a bit defeatist contemplating relegation before a ball is kicked.  So in one sense relegation is not OK.  But the Championship was brilliant fun and more than OK. 

Much depends on ones relationship with football.  Live football is an essential part of who I am and whether Fulham are in the Premier League or not hasn't altered that.

So true - football and supporting a team is all about anticipation and hope and that is true whatever league your team resides in ( temporarily that is )

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Carborundum on July 09, 2018, 08:30:25 PM
Well, it seems a bit defeatist contemplating relegation before a ball is kicked.  So in one sense relegation is not OK.  But the Championship was brilliant fun and more than OK. 

Much depends on ones relationship with football.  Live football is an essential part of who I am and whether Fulham are in the Premier League or not hasn't altered that.

Honestly, I wouldn't have understood this bit very well prior to last year. I'd experienced live football (international) previous to that but, it was mostly just entertainment. I found my place with Fulham from afar almost 15 seasons ago now and have never regretted anything other than the inability to see them live.....so far. Then Atlanta United came along and I understood what better what you fine folks benefit from each season. Can't say that my enjoyment hasn't come with a fair bit of guilt for having found an additional home, so to speak. They are both my clubs now. It doesn't matter which league they play in (though I'd prefer the prospects of promotion/relegation here in The US), what they've won or haven't, or which players are or are not playing on the field. All that matters is the club, the stewards of it on the field and off and the supporters I get to share it all with.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Andy S

I go back to the 66 World Cup win and have been supporting the club since. The 80's when we were skint are still very fresh. The players we picked up were the ones nobody else wanted. Then they tried to build on the cottage. Thank the heavens that never happened. Our decline through the 70s and 80s was slow and painful. Clubs like Watford went past us the other way. We need to survive as a London club have premier league football. You can forget anything else if you want this club to survive. Our ground sits on real estate worth millions. So if the owner doesn't make money from the player it could be the playing surface

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

rest assure, we will have a squad by the seasons beginning,  to compete in the PS
Mr Khan and Son have not gone through the last 4 years to achieve what we have and do not understand
what it will take to stay up there and reach the Golden Egg at the end of next season.
Expect a plethora (ish) of signings in the next couple of weeks better than our January signings.
It's a shame that most of us come on here every day hoping for a jackpot/marquet signing and.............nothing
It will come
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

gurru991

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on July 10, 2018, 01:59:25 AM
rest assure, we will have a squad by the seasons beginning,  to compete in the PS
Mr Khan and Son have not gone through the last 4 years to achieve what we have and do not understand
what it will take to stay up there and reach the Golden Egg at the end of next season.
Expect a plethora (ish) of signings in the next couple of weeks better than our January signings.
It's a shame that most of us come on here every day hoping for a jackpot/marquet signing and.............nothing
It will come
There is not a doubt in my mind that Fulham will be very active in the transfer market & will stay up this year.

toshes mate

If our skirmishes in the Championship have demonstrated anything in the past it is that leaving the second tier in the right direction is much tougher than leaving it in the wrong direction.  I am not so heady about last season's success story to want to participate in a potential perpetual yo-yo effect, and would hope FFC consolidate their new status with absolute and complete determination to succeed.  The Club has been fortunate to find a truly inspiring coaching team which, just looking at failures elsewhere in football, is probably the most difficult part of the equation of success to satisfy.  It would be foolish to throw the chance of real success away simply because we didn't try hard enough at crucial moments.   It isn't just the disappointment and shame of relegation that hurt; it is the nasty after taste that lingers on much longer than squandered success stories ever do.   You are only ever as good as your last game. 

Whitesideup

Quote from: toshes mate on July 10, 2018, 06:53:09 AM
If our skirmishes in the Championship have demonstrated anything in the past it is that leaving the second tier in the right direction is much tougher than leaving it in the wrong direction.  I am not so heady about last season's success story to want to participate in a potential perpetual yo-yo effect, and would hope FFC consolidate their new status with absolute and complete determination to succeed.  The Club has been fortunate to find a truly inspiring coaching team which, just looking at failures elsewhere in football, is probably the most difficult part of the equation of success to satisfy.  It would be foolish to throw the chance of real success away simply because we didn't try hard enough at crucial moments.   It isn't just the disappointment and shame of relegation that hurt; it is the nasty after taste that lingers on much longer than squandered success stories ever do.   You are only ever as good as your last game. 

I agree we don't want perpetual yo-yo, but success cannot be guaranteed. If the worst does happen, then it's important we don't have to dismantle the team as we did last time. The model we have to look at is Burnley, arguably a smaller club than us. Sensible but quality signings; no prima-donnas; consistent club management; great team ethic. Their success cannot be guaranteed - bad luck with results and injuries could still de-stabilize the team, but you feel as if they wouldn't panic and would continue to get on with the business of playing. Much of this is down to their manager, and I think ours is equally as good, if not better. For me, he is the key to our success next season and hope he is fully involved in putting the squad together. I can't imagine a scenario without Kline where this would not happen.

toshes mate

Quote from: Whitesideup on July 10, 2018, 09:16:36 AM
The model we have to look at is Burnley. Sensible but quality signings; no prima-donnas; consistent club management; great team ethic. 
Absolutely agree that Burnley appear to have got things pretty much right financially, ethically, and substantially.  Of course success is never guaranteed unless you are so far up the pecking order the idea of competition is a long forgotten nightmare, and we are not and are never likely to get that high - not even Leicester could achieve it.  Romantic nuances can and do happen, but it is important, even then, to keep a level head and sustain the vital organs that make a club work.   But I would like FFC to keep an eye on certain vital organs that may not be quite so fit for purpose as we may be lead to believe. 

Twig

Quote from: hovewhite on July 09, 2018, 06:47:06 PM
We achieved nothing apart from nearly boys.
Over the 13 years we held our own.just existed!

What a lot of nonsense.  We did not "just exist" we competed at the highest level and had some great successes as well as disappointments. If you only want to be in the Prem to be competing to win it then I suggest you go and support one of the top 4 clubs and be a plastic fan.  For most supporters it is a case of enjoying seeing your team play at the top level and now and again beating one of the big boys, or having a bit of a cup run or getting into Europe.

Woolly Mammoth

Being a member of the Premier League brings its own rewards.
Of course the chances of Fulham winning it are remote.
Nevertheless, Leicester City broke the mould a couple of years ago. Then of course there is Europe, and we nearly pulled it off under Roy.
Also let's remember we will attract the better players with wages we can afford, which will give us a much better chance of having a dam good go at winning the FA Cup or the League Cup.
As well as having the opportunity to go tow to tow with the best teams in England.
Otherwise we could end up like Sunderland.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.