watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Aden Flint

Started by The Swan, June 27, 2018, 09:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

In the Telegraph this morning it says that Pulis is about to sign Aden Flint from Bristol City for £5m.
I wonder why we did not go for him as we need a new centre half.
The Swan

General

There are so many centre halves out there.. just because we think we're linked with a player doesn't mean we A) actually are or B) haven't got people looking at more than one option.

For all we know we may have been looking at flint but found our pursuits for a better CB are proving fruitful.

I'm not sure, even though I rate the championship Flint would necessarily go to boro if we had a genuine interest in bringing him with us to the premiership..

MJG

A major weakness he has is his passing, so doesn't fit the bill I would say.
Just the views of a long term fan

colinwhite

Not comfortable in possession . cant see it

cmg

...also lacks mobility.
Him signing for someone else is the best transfer news we've had so far (not a very competative area).

HV71

Surely not - good defender but not comfortable enough on the ball.

Count Flapula

A pure defender and not a ball player, so maybe someone who could fit into a team with the style of Boro or Burnley (who are OK with their defenders heading / clearing into the stands rather than playing their way out of trouble like us).

Not commenting on whether he defends at a level that could cope in the Prem, but in our system he would be targeted as a weak line no due to our style of play so imagine we are looking at players with a different profile.

I would be delighted with 2 "marquee", larger fee signings in key positions such as Mitro in the striker role and Mawson at CB - who would both suit our style and have Prem experience; also with picking up Wilshere on a free. While I highly doubt we'd get all 3, I don't think any are outside the realms of possibility given they want to come to us / are in a Championship side / free agent respectively. If we secure these (alongside maybe Kalas / Piazon / Aluko) plus some lower-cost players with good potential then I'd be very happy.

Lighthouse

He was on a list of very average players we have been linked with. Like Aluko and Kalas I was hoping to improve on the quality of the names that are really on our transfer list.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Horsfield_No9

Now confirmed signed for Boro. I don't believe we were ever after this guy though, doesn't fit Slav's mould.
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

toshes mate

I'd say Flint was slightly better than average for the Championship but, as others have said, not a great distributor or mover.  We have seen from Ream, Kalas and Odoi how central defenders who are confident on the ball, have bravery, and are prepared to attack when the option arises open the game up for others.  I do hope FFC are looking for players with a little more quality than Flint and his like.

Deeping_white

Bearing in mind Bristol City shipped 124 goals in the last two seasons in the championship, for which I think he played 99% of the games, why would you want him in the premier league? All he's good for is scoring from set pieces. When you consider that you could get someone like Maxime Le Marchand from Nice for €3m instead of paying £5m for Flint, I know which I'd rather go for.