watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why were BBC cheering Panama goal!!??

Started by Nick Bateman, June 24, 2018, 04:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

After watching that magnificent display by England (again) one was surprised the BBC commentary failed to get behind the national side and even cheered loudly the Panama consolation goal.

They seemed to disregard what it meant for winning the group, and barely mentioned the table during the match.

The fellow with the mike hardly remarked about Panama's dirty tactics including a deliberate elbow into Lingard's face.  The aggressor went down holding his face in an act covering up his foul - not punished by VAR and not suggested it should have been a penalty.  Later Harry McGuire was hit by as Danny Murphy called an 'unnatural' arm (with a clenched fist) while the unprofessional BBC man stayed silent.

I believe this is the same person who claimed Eden Hazard DOES NOT DIVE.

One hopes when BBC isn't showing women's football they employ people better suited for the men's game!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

MisfitKid

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

SWSixer

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I know what you mean, without that goal a draw would have sufficed to top the table,
however there are no easy games and you have to beat everything thrown at you in the WC

Great fans who celebrated ecstatically and all they did was score a goal in a 6-1 drubbing.
To me (apart from England winning) that's what the WC is all about.
Minnows, Underdogs, Mexico beating Germany etc (Unfortunately they beat SWeden GRRRRR)
The carnival atmosphere, people selling cars, giving up jobs just to be there with no hope of winning.

I watched the game and was chuffed to bits for the Panamanian fans.
And don't give a toss whether a draw or a win will get us playing   ????????????????

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

SWSixer

I don't see too much in Group H for England to fear.

Jurassic Parker

Its actually very possible that finishing second in the group will be better for us or belgium, firstly.

Secondly, get over yourself you pompous prat. Great moment for panama and is what the world cup is all about. 6-0 down yet the joy of just being there and scoring set the nation alight.

Central american football play the game very rough, to us it is thuggish, to them that is normal rough play. I dont approve of it and neither did anyonone else outside of their confederation, as such we got our two penalties. Its a shame a couple elbows went unoticed.

Their manager is quoted as saying at half time he went and congratulated southgate and was astounded at how we played. Panama were also much less rough in the second half which indicated the manager probably said come on lads this isnt concacaf, this is the world cup. Fair enough.

Quite frankly you show poor knowledge of world football, lack of basic research to even realise second place is probably the best position to finish in and just a general rotten attitude to the festivity of minnows, underdogs and the world cup.

Nick Bateman

One wouldn't mind a "minnow" getting a taste of glory had it not been for their thuggish, brutal tactics - deliberately elbowing Jesse Lingard and then diving holding face to cover up for the action, backhand hitting Harry McGuire with a fist, countless infringements, non-stop bad behaviour and cynical diving and cheating (even their goal was a dive for the free kick).  The disrespect to the official was the worst of this generally well managed tournament.

What if Lingard had a broken nose/eye socket??  Frankly, Panama are a DISGRACE to this World Cup and as Rio Ferdinand said, they should not be there, because of their attitude.  Simply because they are lowly ranked does not excuse such primitive and ugly machinations.

One feels sorry for Tunisia, who have to play this bunch of bloody barbarians next with God knows what calibre of third-world referee.

I support England 100% unlike some in this thread.  Second place is a safer route (Senegal, Mexico, Croatia, rather than Japan, Brazil, Spain possibly) but winning breeds winning and England should put Belgium firmly in their place and send a powerful message to spread FEAR among the assemble of competing sides.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

toshes mate

Quote from: Nick Bateman on June 24, 2018, 04:56:41 PM
One hopes when BBC isn't showing women's football they employ people better suited for the men's game!
Unfortunately the BBC has submerged and drowned in all the media hype it helps to create just like all the rest.  It no longer notices that it can be and should be different and is saturated with its own liberal largesse even when critical words are not simply required they are demanded.  By trying to offend no one the BBC offends everybody.  But, in trying to find media balance, it is noticeable that some of the female contributors who have crept into broadcasting over the last decade or so do sometimes hit on things that tell you that good journalism has nothing to do with gender but everything to do with being able to string a comprehensible sentence together which we haven't heard before.

Carborundum

Quote from: toshes mate on June 25, 2018, 07:02:16 AM
good journalism has nothing to do with gender but everything to do with being able to string a comprehensible sentence together which we haven't heard before.
Spot on.

JoelH5

Re Goal difference, England are currently top of the group. If goals for and against are equal (as they currently are), it comes down to fair play. As we have less yellow cards  063.gif than Belgium, we top the group.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Woolly Mammoth

Just to emphasise what a bunch of cretins Panama players were.
Whilst England players were celebrating one of our six goals.
The Panama players rushed back to the centre spot to kick off, which would have given them a free run at goal. The referee spotted it, and blew the whistle ordering them to come back, and wait for the England players to return to their own half.
Just shows their mentality, they had no shame, they clearly do not know the rules either or any sporting behaviour.
I would not trust them to feed my pet Dung Beetle.
Glad we sent them home early.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Fulhamfan666

Bassey the warrior

Yes Panama were a dirty bunch but I think it was a classy move by the BBC to recognize the historical significance of their first ever goal. We won the game comfortably at the end of the day so I'm mystified about the criticism.

YankeeJim

Imagine, if you will, (sorry Rod), what you saw in Panama, a truly biased ref in an extremely unfriendly venue, 35 degrees with 100% humidity and  you have CONCACAF. Bit different than strolling over to Luxembourg or Malta. Those minnows have a sense of fair play and decent weather.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Stefan The Viking (The Moose) on June 25, 2018, 05:14:12 PM
Yes Panama were a dirty bunch but I think it was a classy move by the BBC to recognize the historical significance of their first ever goal. We won the game comfortably at the end of the day so I'm mystified about the criticism.

I understand to a lesser extent, but
"Never trust a dog, to watch your food."
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Rupert

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 25, 2018, 07:16:21 PM
Quote from: Stefan The Viking (The Moose) on June 25, 2018, 05:14:12 PM

I understand to a lesser extent, but
"Never trust a dog, to watch your food."

Can I be the first to condemn this rampant criticism of dogs? If you don't want the dog to eat your food, do not ask the dog to guard your food. Don't blame the poor dog for eating the food. Perhaps you should feed the dog? Just a suggestion.

Mind you, I'm a cat man myself. We have three.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.