https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (29/06/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 29, 2018, 07:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Forest Green Rovers sign Fulham forward on one year deal

Another addition at New Lawn

Forward Isaac Pearce has joined Forest Green Rovers after impressing on trial at the end of last season.

The 19-year-old was released by Fulham last season and has put pen to paper on a one-year contract at FGR.

Pearce, who can play as an attacking midfielder or striker, joined Fulham from Bristol Rovers in 2015 after a compensation package was agreed between the two clubs.

He went on to make more than 40 appearances for the Under 18s and Under 23s but is now looking to take this opportunity to prove himself in League football.

"I'm really excited and looking forward to what the season will bring for me," he said.

"Being here on trial at the end of last season was a great experience. I didn't get much game time with Fulham so I knew I had to come to Forest Green Rovers and make a statement.

"I feel like I did that very well and was just thankful that the manager saw the potential in me.

"I work hard on the pitch, on and off the ball. When I get the ball at my feet I'm confident to do a little dribble with it and the pass it off or have a shot.

"I just want to get as many minutes on the pitch, hopefully I will kick on, get a good pre-season under my belt and see where it takes me."

Manager Mark Cooper said: "He left Fulham last season and asked if he could come and train with us. He is a Bristol boy and he came of his own accord, trained with us for a month and he impressed everyone here.

"He is a small lad but he has got brilliant ability.

"He is one that will supplement our squad and one that we are giving an opportunity to that we feel will help us in the long run."

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/forest-green-rovers-sign-fulham-1724641

WhiteJC

Why World Cup 2018 was a missed opportunity for Fulham and Palace target Aleksandar Mitrovic

Here's how we assessed the World Cup for Serbia striker Aleksandar Mitrovic

He may have starred for Fulham last season, but it was a mixed World Cup for Newcastle United striker Aleksandar Mitrovic.

The Serbian striker was a revelation at Craven Cottage in the Championship, helping to fire the Cottagers to promotion after joining on loan from Newcastle in January.

He scored 12 goals in 18 starts during his time in west London, and was a major factor for Slavisa Jokanovic as Fulham returned to the top flight for the first time since 2014.

And he continued that form in the World Cup warm-up matches, firing a hat-trick as Serbia thrashed Bolivia 5-1 in the build up to the tournament to go into it full of confidence.

But in Russia, it didn't quite happen for him, with only one goal from 14 attempts in the three games he played.

He still showed why he is a handful for defenders, and was on target with a fine header in the 2-1 defeat against Switzerland - coincidentally his best game of the three that Serbia played.

Aleksandar Mitrovic reacts after a missed shot during the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia group E match between Costa Rica and Serbia at Samara Arena on June 17, 2018 in Samara, Russia. (Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images)

But the 23-year-old missed a couple of glorious opportunities in games against Costa Rica and Brazil, the second of which could have changed the complexion of the tournament for Serbia.

In both games, he had big chances that at this level, simply have to be taken, including the one that he really should have scored against the five-time champions, which could have made a big difference with the score at 1-0.

He didn't have his best game against Brazil, but he still caused problems for the defenders.

However, his aerial threat was not used as much as it should have been by Serbia.

At times, Brazil looked to be wobbling, but Serbia did not make the most of this, and perhaps should have utilised Mitrovic more.

He has shown at times at Newcastle and particularly last season at Fulham the problems he can cause with his physical presence and aerial ability, but this felt like a missed opportunity for Serbia to cause Brazil more problems.

Aleksandar Mitrovic heads the ball against Thiago Silva as goalkeeper Alisson looks on during the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia group E match between Serbia and Brazil at Spartak Stadium on June 27, 2018 in Moscow, Russia. (Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images)

If they had scored when Mitrovic had his big chance at 1-0 down, it would have made things interesting and applied pressure on Brazil, but it wasn't to be, and as such, Mitrovic and his team-mates are now on their way home.

He went to Russia with a burgeoning reputation, having attracted interest from the likes of Fulham and Crystal Palace.

Indeed, Mitrovic has said he was happy at Fulham and was open to making the move permanent, although the Cottagers have not yet come close to matching Newcastle's valuation of £20m.

And based on his World Cup showings, there may not be too many clubs willing to meet that.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/world-cup-missed-opportunity-mitrovic-14838954

WhiteJC

West Ham should offer Newcastle Andy Carroll plus cash for Aleksandar Mitrovic to steal march on Fulham

West Ham United should make a move for Newcastle United's Fulham-linked hitman.

The future of Newcastle hitman Aleksandar Mitrović is still unclear, with Fulham being reluctant to match the Toon's £20 million valuation of the Serbian hitman, according to Sky Sports, and West Ham should swoop in and try to nab the striker from the west London outfit's grasp.

The Hammers could also attempt to steal a march on the Cottagers by offering the Magpies Geordie hero Andy Carroll as part of the deal.

Mitrovic, 23, was quite simply superb for Fulham during the second half of last season, after moving to Craven Cottage on loan in January, and racked up an impressive 12 goals in 17 Championship outings for Slaviša Jokanović's side.

West Ham are crying out for a powerful and robust centre-forward, with Andy Carroll proving to be unreliable from a fitness perspective, and the Serbia international could be just the ticket.

He is strong in the air, and is a competent finisher when presented with a goalscoring opportunity.

Mitrovic is also somewhat of a maverick, and that kind of mercurial talent would surely endear him to the Hammers fans immediately.

Newcastle are clearly prepared to part ways with the 23-year-old, and they would surely be tempted into doing business with West Ham if they were offered the services of Andy Carroll as well as a cash sum.

The Serbian striker is still very young, and has plenty of years left ahead of him in which to improve further still, and if the Hammers manage to bring him to the London Stadium this summer, it could turn out to be a signing of real significance for them.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/06/28/west-ham-should-offer-newcastle-andy-carroll-plus-cash-for-aleks/

WhiteJC

Report: Huddersfield and Fulham plot summer moves for Leicester's Ahmed Musa

Huddersfield Town and Fulham are interested in signing the Leicester City striker, according to reports.

According to a report from reputable Turkish media outlet Fotomac, Huddersfield and Fulham are interested in signing Leicester City striker Ahmed Musa this summer.

The Nigeria international joined the Foxes from CSKA Moscow in the summer of 2016, for a fee believed to be worth in the region of £16.6 million, but he failed to establish himself at the King Power Stadium.

That is not to say that the 25-year-old does not still have a lot to offer at the very highest level, though.

Musa possesses pace in abundance, and his willingness to make direct runs in behind the opposition's defence is an attribute that many clubs will find appealing.

Turkish publication Fotomac claims that he could be sold this summer, and that Premier League pair Huddersfield and Fulham are keen on prising him away form the east Midlands.

Quite how much Leicester will expect for his signature is unclear, but both the Terriers and Cottagers should not have any problem in tempting the Foxes into selling.

With the expansive football that is played at Huddersfield and Fulham, Musa would surely thrive at either club, and a move away from the King Power could help reinvigorate his flagging career.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/06/28/report-huddersfield-and-fulham-plot-summer-moves-for-leicesters/

WhiteJC

Fulham should celebrate Aleksandar Mitrovic's World Cup failure

Fulham are heavily linked with Newcastle United and Serbia striker Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Aleksandar Mitrovic and Serbia crashed out of the World Cup on Wednesday after a 2-0 defeat to Brazil.

A win would have taken them through but goals from Paulinho and Thiago Silva knocked them out as the group stage came to an end.

As devastated as Mitrovic will be, his potential team next season should be delighted that Serbia have left the tournament as early as possible.

Fulham, where Mitrovic spent the latter half of the 2017/18 on loan from Newcastle United, have been linked with a move for the striker - most recently by TeamTalk, who claim the 23-year-old has demanded the move.

Mitrovic hit 12 goals in 17 Championship games to help fire the Cottagers into the Premier League and Fulham are allegedly to pay £20 million for him.

But, after his performance and goal against Switzerland, the club must have been worried that he was in for a good World Cup - something that certainly would have brought more interest to the table.

Mitrovic's international record is fantastic - he has scored 15 goals in his last 21 games - and thus the chances of him having a notable tournament in a firing Serbia side were very good.

Instead, he will leave early, allowing Fulham to stay at the forefront of Mitrovic's mind when he looks for a move this summer, and they can count themselves lucky for that.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/06/28/ac-fulham-should-celebrate-aleksandar-mitrovics-failure/

WhiteJC

What Steve McClaren has said about Derby County striker Chris Martin

Could former Rams boss be reunited with Scotland international at QPR?

Derby County striker Chris Martin has been linked with a summer switch to Queens Park Rangers.

Martin has spent much of the past two seasons out on loan - at Fulham and Reading respectively - after dropping down the pecking order at Pride Park.

His best period at Derby came under Steve McClaren, who is now manager of QPR.

According to reports, McClaren is eyeing a reunion with the Scotland international at Loftus Road.

Here's what the former England boss has said about the 29-year-old in the past...

After returning to Derby for a second spell in charge, McClaren wanted to recall Martin from his loan spell at Fulham.

His efforts proved in vain due to the terms of the deal and the player remained at Craven Cottage.

Asked if he thought it was strange for Martin to be sent out on loan by his predecessor Nigel Pearson, McClaren said: "I thought it was at the time".

He added: "I wasn't the manager and managers have to make decisions.

"He is a goalscorer. I have the highest regard for Chris as everybody knows.

"He's doing a good job for Fulham and they are very pleased with him - I know that. We are just monitoring the situation to see what happens."

That was in December 2016. The following month, Martin signed a new contract with the Rams.

"We are delighted that Chris Martin has decided to commit his long-term future to Derby County by signing this new contract," said McClaren.

"Chris is currently with Fulham, a decision made by the previous manager, but everyone knows that I rate Chris very highly indeed and fortunately we ensured the deal was only temporary.

"I know how much Chrissie loves Derby and therefore, I am really pleased that he has accepted the offer to extend his deal with the club until the summer of 2020.

"I look forward to working with him again once he returns to the club."

By the time Martin returned, though, McClaren had been sacked by Derby and replaced by Gary Rowett.

McClaren paid the price after Derby's promotion push fell away, and later reflected on the possibility that Martin's presence might have made a difference.

"He scores goals," McClaren told Sky Sports ahead of Derby's opening game of the 2017-18 season at Sunderland. "He's a main focal point.

"When we played 4-3-3 your defensive midfielder is very important, but your target man is just as important.

"Chris Martin, when we had him, he was a revelation, a focal point and all the balls went up to him.

"He assists, he scores, he's a character.

"With him coming back, I wish we would have got him back in January – you never know, we might have finished the season off better than we did."

Martin was linked with QPR soon after McClaren was appointed by the London club.

Responding to the speculation last month, the manager said: "I expect over the next few days and weeks we'll be linked with everybody. That's football.

"We'll have time to sit down, to plan and to look ahead.

"This squad I believe is a very good squad; young, energetic, with a good attitude and can play football.

"They've already proved that at the end of the season when the young players were thrown in and did well.

"But to go forward and improve you need experience around you.

"The next stage over the next year is to move forward, add experience and if we do that we can progress."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chris-martin-qpr-steve-mcclaren-1726174

WhiteJC

Fulham interested in Bosnian wonderkid Edis Smajic?

Fulham are reportedly interested in Bosnian Under-21s player Edis Smajic.

The Sloboda Tuzla midfielder scored 10 goals in 41 appearances last season and has represented his nation at U17, U19 and U21.

The 18-year-old made his senior debut having just celebrated his 17th birthday, coming on as a substitute in the 90th minute in a league game against NK Metalleghe-BSI.

According to the Sun, Smajic is one of Fulham's main targets this summer, but they will face competition from an unnamed Dutch club.

The report adds that Cottagers manager Slavisa Jokanovic has already contacted the club regarding the player's availability.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/transfer-talk/news/fulham-want-bosnian-wonderkid_329410.html

WhiteJC

Fulham Get Influential Midfielder To Sign New Long Term Deal: A Step In The Right Direction?

Slavia Jokanovic's Fulham were certainly one of the most exciting sides in the Championship last season. They worked hard to get into the playoffs and earn themselves a promotion into the top flight last season, but they are now in danger of losing a few of their first team stars, to top clubs in the Premier League.

However, one such player, who has pledged his future to the club is Tom Cairney. According to reports from The Times, Fulham have finally managed to ward off all interests for two of the most crucial players in their squad in Ryan Sessegnon and Tom Cairney.

While the young full-back turned winger was wanted by the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool, Cairney was also starting to attract suitors from the top flight. However, it is understood that they have now extended their contracts with the Cottagers.

Sessegnon's deal with the club only lasted till 2020 while Cairney had two years over that on his deal. However, it is now revealed that both players have signed contract extensions with the club, that will keep off any potential suitors from luring them away, in the near future. So how big a boost is this for Fulham?

Sessegnon is easily the most gifted player in the squad at the moment. He will continue to attract interests from elsewhere and will surely quit the club in the future. But it is Cairney's deal that will make Jokanovic happy.

The 27-year old was a mainstay in the side last season, picking up six goals and five assists from 33 league starts, from a central role. He is the skipper of the side and scored the only goal in the playoffs that pushed Fulham into the Premier League and is a part of the core at the club.

He joined the club in 2015 but has already made 118 appearances, also standing as one of the most experienced players in the side at the moment. He has two international appearances with Scotland and is an established player, just the kind they need to compete with the best teams in the country next season.

He is a natural leader, and will certainly want to play for a bigger club and was wanted by the likes of West Ham United this summer. But reports now suggest that Cairney is determined to help Fulham break into the top half of the Premier League table and wants to stay at Craven Cottage, at least for another couple of years. It will not only give the club a boost but will also save them from searching for replacements in an inflated market.

http://the4thofficial.net/2018/06/fulham-get-influential-midfielder-sign-new-long-term-deal-step-right-direction/

WhiteJC

Why Fulham Should Go All Out To Sign This Wolves Star After An Initial £12m Bid Was Rejected

Why Fulham must do everything possible to sign Cavaleiro from Wolverhampton Wanderers

According to reports, Fulham are interested in signing Wolverhampton Wanderers forward Ivan Cavaleiro this summer.

The Cottagers reportedly have had a £12m bid for Cavaleiro turned down by fellow newly-promoted Premier League side Wolves.

The 24-year-old joined Wolves from Monaco for a then club record fee of £7m in 2016. Cavaleiro was one of Nuno Espirito Santo's key men during Wolves' title-winning Championship campaign last season, with the Portuguese scoring nine goals and providing 12 assists in 42 league games.

However, should Fulham come up with an improved offer after Wolves turned down their initial bid for Cavaleiro?

Fulham, who started the 2017/18 campaign slowly, enjoyed a late resurgence in form and defeated Aston Villa in the Championship play-off final to secure Premier League promotion. Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has a really talented squad at his disposal but he needs to bring in new faces in the summer to survive in the highly competitive league.

The Serbian coach is eager to add to his attacking firepower and Wolves' Cavaleiro fits the bill. The 24-year-old has thus far made 77 appearances in all competitions for the West Midlands club, scoring 14 times and providing 18 assists. But Cavaleiro is not just about goals and assists as his work-ethic and tenacity is second to none.

Fulham have the left wing sorted due to the presence of their hotshot Ryan Sessegnon, who enjoyed a breakthrough campaign last season and contributed to the team's cause with plenty of goals and assists. But the Cottagers should look to add competition to the likes of Lucas Piazon and Aboubakar Kamara, with the former having returned to Chelsea following the end of his loan spell.

While Fulham are working on a deal to sign Piazon permanently from Chelsea, they certainly need another attacking presence in their ranks. In Cavaleiro, Jokanovic would get a versatile player, who is capable of playing out wide and also lead the attack.

The Portuguese is incredibly nippy and he plays with a certain kind of directness which would undoubtedly help to add another dimension to the Cottagers' play in the final third.

Fulham need a player who can consistently score and provide assists in the Premier League next season. And Cavaleiro, who has been capped twice by Portugal, would bring a lot of pace and freshness to Fulham's attack. His direct play and incisive runs behind the defenders could make him a valuable player for Jokanovic's side.

Wolves are seemingly not eager to sell one of their prized assets to a direct rival and hence rejected Fulham's bid for Cavaleiro. But the Cottagers must not lose heart and should make an improved offer for the attacker. And should the Londoners succeed in poaching Cavaleiro, he could turn out to be a signing of real significance for Jokanovic's team.

https://soccersouls.com/2018/06/29/why-fulham-should-go-all-out-to-sign-this-wolves-star-after-an-initial-12m-bid-was-rejected/

WhiteJC

2018 Fulham Player Reviews: Lucas Piazon
Will we be seeing the Chelsea loanee back at Craven Cottage?

Basic Stats: 23 appearances | 14 starts | 9 substitutions | 1,083 minutes | 5 goals | 4 assists

Economics: Year-Long Loan from Chelsea | Signed: 2017 | Contract Ends in Summer 2018

Stats by Seven-Game sequences

WhoScored Rating Chart

Radar

All data from whoscored.com

Goals vs. Expected Goals

from experimental361.com

Transfermarket Value Chart

from transfermarket.co.uk[/size][/i]

CC Thoughts: If only Lucas Piazon didn't fracture his leg away to Leeds United. The two-time Chelsea-to-Fulham loanee was becoming a real standout regular for the club, especially after scoring the lone goal in the draw against Reading while being down to ten men. Instead, the now 24-year-old had a bit of a wasted season and is running out of chances to make a name for himself in European football.

His 1,184 league minutes were the lowest he's played in since his Eintracht Frankfurt season in 2014/15 (in which he recorded 1,055 and just 2 goals). That being said, Piazon was a major contributor once he returned to full fitness with his goal and assist performance against Burton at home being his most standout performance. However, there just wasn't enough consistency to Piazon's game to make him an out-and-out member of Fulham's XI the rest of the way.

In the end, he was able to chip in with five goals and four assists with his combined attacking output turning out to be a career-high at 0.68 per 90 minutes. But as you can see with Ben Mayhew's actual vs. expected goals chart, Piazon's 25.0% goal-conversion rate was unsustainably high to happen again in future campaigns. Unlike Ryan Sessegnon, who relies heavily on shots inside the penalty area, Piazon actually had more shots outside the box (10) than in (8) out of his 20 total tries in Championship play for 2017/18. Along with that, his 2.81 combined shots and created chances per 90 minutes is the lowest of his career since that same Eintracht Frankfurt season.

So while Piazon has had a horrid 2017/18, that doesn't deny that he was a key piece to Fulham in their success of Premier League promotion. You also can't deny how much his long-term injury dampened any early season momentum that he could have to round his game into form. But whether or not his style of play change for Piazon to be able to repeat his offensive production in the future is a story that will have to wait and see.

Key Stat: 50.0% dribbling success rate. For the first time in Piazon's career, the amount of successful dribbles (21) were as much as the numbers of times he was dispossessed (21). This also more than surpasses his career dribbling success rate of 32.6% in senior team league play.

Your thoughts: So what say you? Once Chelsea can get their ducks in a row, do you envision Piazon coming back to Fulham? If so, will it be on a permanent contract and for how much? Along with that, how much playing time should Piazon get if he were to stay with the club? Don't be shy to leave your comments below.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/6/28/17513246/2018-fulham-player-reviews-lucas-piazon

WhiteJC

Fulham edging closer to Mitrovic deal
by Dan on June 29, 2018

Fulham are moving closer to concluding a permanent deal for Newcastle United striker Aleksandar Mitrovic, according to a report in this morning's Times.

The paper says that the newly-promoted side are hopeful of finalising the deal following Serbia's group stage exit from the World Cup. Newcastle had hoped that Mitrovic's participation in Russia might increase his value – but Mitrovic only scored once in three games and missed a couple of good chances against Brazil on Wednesday night.

Rafa Benitez has made clear that Mitrovic, who scored 12 goals in 20 games as Fulham embarked on a 23-match unbeaten run after the Serbian striker moved to Craven Cottage at the end of the January transfer window, has no future at St. James' Park. Newcastle value the 23 year-old forward at around £20m and Mitrovic is keen to continue working with his compatriot Slavisa Jokanovic, who guided the Whites to a play-off final victory over Aston Villa at Wembley last month.

Fulham hope to capitalise on the fact that Newcastle need to raise funds for Benitez's summer recruitment by pushing for a quick deal. For his part, Jokanovic is acutely aware that his side need to upgrade their forward line as prepare for their return to the top flight and sees Mitrovic as the ideal target man.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/06/fulham-edging-closer-to-mitrovic-deal/

WhiteJC

Amazing for Fulham: Aleksandar Mitrovic may start Newcastle sales

Fulham & Aleksandar Mitrovic

Serbia, despite impressing at the 2018 World Cup, exited the competition at the group phase.

That's good news for Premier League newbies Fulham, as the Cottagers aim to sign Aleksandar Mitrovic from Newcastle.

Fulham, who won promotion via the Championship playoffs, had Mitrovic on loan last campaign.

The striker scored 12 goals in 20 games for Fulham during his Newcastle loan spell. And aside from scoring goals, Mitrovic bedded into his surrounding at Craven Cottage, and he's made it clear he wants a permanent move to the London club.

According to the Times on Friday, Mitrovic is closing in on his Newcastle to Fulham switch:

Fulham will press to complete the permanent signing of Aleksandar Mitrovic from Newcastle United after Serbia's elimination from the World Cup.

Mitrovic has two seasons left on the five-year contract that he signed with Newcastle when he joined them from Anderlecht in 2015, but he has no long-term future at the club under Rafa Benítez.

Mitrovic may cost Fulham 20 million pounds.

Newcastle's summer sales

Mitrovic to Fulham may be the start of the sales at St James' Park.

In a worrying report by the Times, it's believed some of Newcastle's other stars could be sold this summer.

That includes Matt Richie, who is reportedly a target for Stoke City and Middlesbrough.

It's believed that Richie may be allowed to leave Newcastle if the Toon can re-sign Andros Townsend. Crystal Palace are looking for 30 million pounds for Townsend.

Elsewhere, Mikel Merino may leave Newcastle to join Real Sociedad.

As for the Newcastle incomings, links to West Brom striker Salomon Rondon have been shelved.

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/transfers/fulham-aleksandar-mitrovic-newcastle-sales/

WhiteJC

Fulham to launch Mitrovic move from Newcastle as World Cup hopes end

Newly promoted Premier League side Fulham are set to launch an immediate raid for Newcastle United's powerhouse striker Aleksandar Mitrovic after his World Cup came to an end with Serbia, according to the Times.

The newspaper state that now the 23-year-old's time in Russia has come to an end, his country exiting the competition at the group stages, the Cottagers are set to push on and try and complete a return for their on-loan talisman, who fired them back to the top flight last season.

He scored 12 goals after joining in January, and his form has reportedly led to Newcastle slapping down a £20million price tag on his head.

Opinion

Mitrovic's exit seemed an almost certainty prior to the World Cup kicking off, and his performances in Russia will have done him no harm in securing a move away from St James' Park this summer. He led the line for Serbia as well as he did for Fulham, hassling and harrying the opposition defences with his physicality. His finishing might have left something to be desired, but as proven while at Craven Cottage, he does indeed know where the back of the net is. Will it be Fulham who can secure the return of their figurehead for their Premier League campaign? That £20million price tag should not bother them too much, but with Rafael Benitez knowing that the striker is one of his most saleable assets, could the asking price be raised somewhat after his exploits on the international stage? With two years left on his contract, Newcastle are in no rush to sell up, other than to raise some transfer funds of their own.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2018/06/blogs/premier-league/fulham-to-launch-mitrovic-move-from-newcastle-as-world-cup-hopes-end/

WhiteJC

Fulham move 'closer' to buying Aleksandar Mitrovic – The Times

An Aleksandar Mitrovic transfer to Fulham has now moved 'closer' according to the reliable George Caulkin from The Times.

An Aleksandar Mitrovic move to Fulham is now imminent.

The always reliable George Caulkin who covers Newcastle United for The Times, says that the West London club have moved 'closer' to completing the transfer.

Serbia's early World Cup exit at the first possible opportunity, means that the way is now clear for the deal to happen.

After scoring 12 goals in only 18 starts (plus two appearances off the bench), Aleksandar Mitrovic became a massive favourite with the Fulham fans and the player himself has said he would like to return there on a permanent deal.

With money from a Mitro sale said to be key towards Rafa Benitez ending up with anything like a realistic chance of signing the level of striker he wants, a sale of the Serbian forward can't come quick enough.

The only obstacle, as usual, could be Mike Ashley.

Rafa Benitez wanted to trade in Mitrovic last summer but the NUFC owner was demanding a very unrealistic £16m+ for a striker who had only had 11 starts and four goals in the Championship.

With that late season form at Fulham, a star rated performance at the World Cup could have seen Mike Ashley imagining all kinds of figures of what to expect the former Anderlecht player to go for.

As it happens, Mitro's all round play was generally very good in the three group matches in Russia but the stand out stat was only one goal despite 14 shots in the three matches.

I would argue that the World Cup should prove pretty neutral in any valuation of the Newcastle striker.

He showed that he was a decent striker but not one who is a natural goalscorer, that would propel him into a whole other level of prospective buying club and valuation.

With four or five goals in Russia then I would have really feared for an impasse whereby Mike Ashley would make it impossible for trading to be done with some crazy valuation.

However, I think surely Aleksandar Mitrovic has to be seen as worth the same as he was pre-tournament, that much talked about £20m figure being  realistic in this current market.

Whilst some fans will still hold out for a change of heart from Rafa Benitez, he clearly doesn't see Mitrovic as his kind of striker, so the quicker a deal goes through – the better for all parties.

https://www.themag.co.uk/2018/06/fulham-move-closer-to-buying-aleksandar-mitrovic-the-times-newcastle-united/

WhiteJC

Report: Fulham want to sign teenage star Edis Smajic

Smajic remains a complete unknown in English football, but it is a different story in Bosnia and Fulham are said to be keen.

The Daily Mirror have claimed in their live transfer blog (Thursday, 20:38) that newly-promoted Premier League side Fulham are interested in signing teenage magician Edis Smajic after an excellent 2017-18 campaign.

Smajic, 18, is a complete unknown to English football but he has been making waves in his home country of Bosnia for top-tier outfit Sloboda Tuzla.

During the 2017-18 campaign, Smajic proved that age is just a number to score seven goals in 32 league and cup appearances for Sloboda, as the teen showed his versatility by playing in the number 10 role or out wide.

At just 18, Smajic has already earned a Bosnia Under-21 cap and seems to be ready for a move to Europe in order to further his already burgeoning potential.

Fulham are looking to give Smajic that chance, with manager Slavisa Jokanovic likely to be well-versed in eastern European football - given that he is from Serbia, which borders Bosnia.

It is believed that Smajic is one of Fulham's main targets this summer, but it remains to be seen how much the west Londoners will have to pay to land the teenage prodigy with his contract set to run until January 2021.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/06/29/report-fulham-want-to-sign-teenage-star-edis-smajic/