watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Cardiff

Started by MikeW, July 07, 2018, 09:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeW

Do you think anyone has told Warnock that they are playing in the Premiership next season?  Commendable for his activity, he seems to have signed (or re-signed) a raft of journeymen that if you were a mid table Champ side you would hope would stop you getting relegated into Div 1?  Only the lad from Bristol City would be of the remotest interest to us.

.... and yes, I know this will open the floodgates on the topic of 'we haven't signed anyone' but that's another thread maybe???
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: Statto on July 07, 2018, 09:27:22 PM
They've got 25 championship players. We've got 16 championship players. So who's winning?

If we sign a load of top quality players tomorrow then when can mock them. But if our ambituous deals for better quality players end up, as per usual, falling through or not taking place until August such that our team takes until Christmas to gel, then Cardiff will have the last laugh.

As it stands we have the worst team in the Premier League.

We have better players than they do.

The Rock

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on July 07, 2018, 10:22:52 PM
They've got 25 championship players. We've got 16 championship players. So who's winning?

If we sign a load of top quality players tomorrow then when can mock them. But if our ambituous deals for better quality players end up, as per usual, falling through or not taking place until August such that our team takes until Christmas to gel, then Cardiff will have the last laugh.

I agree. As it stands we are the second worst team in the Premier League. Let's call it like it is.

The Old Count

Quote from: The Rock on July 08, 2018, 03:47:42 AM

I agree. As it stands we are the second worst team in the Premier League. Let's call it like it is.

Have we got enough players to be called a team?

S.F.Sorrow

Sadly I agree with Statto. We currently have the worst team in the Premier League by far. At first glance our starting 11 doesn't look too bad:

Bettinelli
Christie - Odoi - Ream - Sessegnon
KMac
Johansen - Cairney
Ayite - Kamara - Kebano

But consider the following:

- Even if it doesn't look too bad it's still a considerably weaker starting 11 than last season. Targett, Mitrovic and Fredericks are gone. Sessegnon (and possibly Kamara) not in their best positions.

- With Kalas, Norwood, Piazon and Ojo gone the bench would have to be filled with players that weren't even considered good enough for the Championship.

- There's no depth in ANY position. Even a single injury/suspension and we we're in trouble. Starting with our opening game where Odoi is suspended.

-Cardiff had practically half their squad injured for a large part of last season but they still managed to finish above us. And they have already made a couple of decent signings.

But it doesn't really matter if we have the worst or the second worst team. Or even the third worst. All that matters is that we avoid relegation.

Obviously our squad will be strengthened. Hopefully we will have a considerably stronger team before the start of the season. But time is running out and personally I think we will need around 10 quality signings to avoid relegation.

alfie

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on July 08, 2018, 08:14:20 AM

Sadly I agree with Statto. We currently have the worst team in the Premier League by far. At first glance our starting 11 doesn't look too bad:

Bettinelli
KMac
Johansen - Cairney
Ayite - Kamara - Kebano

- Even if it doesn't look too bad it's still a considerably weaker starting 11 than last season. Targett, Mitrovic and Fredericks are gone. Sessegnon (and possibly Kamara) not in their best positions.

- With Kalas, Norwood, Piazon and Ojo gone the bench would have to be filled with players that weren't even considered good enough for the Championship.

- There's no depth in ANY position. Even a single injury/suspension and we we're in trouble. Starting with our opening game where Odoi is suspended.

-Cardiff had practically half their squad injured for a large part of last season but they still managed to finish above us. And they have already made a couple of decent signings.

But it doesn't really matter if we have the worst or the second worst team. Or even the third worst. All that matters is that we avoid relegation.

Obviously our squad will be strengthened. Hopefully we will have a considerably stronger team before the start of the season. But time is running out and personally I think we will need around 10 quality signings to avoid relegation.
Not sure about couple of decent signings at Cardiff, maybe 1 at most we might consider, we can't moan at the club about showing ambition and then go for type of players Cardiff have signed
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: alfie on July 08, 2018, 10:46:16 AM
Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on July 08, 2018, 08:14:20 AM

Bettinelli
KMac
Johansen - Cairney
Ayite - Kamara - Kebano

Not sure about couple of decent signings at Cardiff, maybe 1 at most we might consider, we can't moan at the club about showing ambition and then go for type of players Cardiff have signed

I absolutely agree that we shouldn't go for that level of players but the sad truth is that in our current situation someone like Smithies and Cunningham would probably strengthen our squad. It's a bit scary that we even compare our team with Cardiff. I'm not saying we can't beat them in a single game with our best 11 available but over a whole season with our current squad? Not a chance.

The next two weeks will be crucial. We really need a couple of new faces before Lyon.

Rambler

Another week. Another week of no signings. Time is quickly ticking away.
It's now like a January transfer window. We have 1 month to sign players and most of the selling teams know we are desperate as our squad depth sucks

Twig

Quote from: Rambler on July 08, 2018, 11:37:55 AM
Another week. Another week of no signings. Time is quickly ticking away.
It's now like a January transfer window. We have 1 month to sign players and most of the selling teams know we are desperate as our squad depth sucks

I gave us until Friday 13th.  So one week is all we have in my view. Otherwise the pre season will have been wasted and even if we do make some late signings they will have had no time to bed in.  A potential disaster in such a competitive division.

MrFFC

We will bring in signings I'm confident of that but I do think it's crucial to get deals done for likes of Mitrovic , Piazon , Kalas , Norwood to give us a stronger squad & they are all players who don't need to settle in they know how we play already
Come on you Whites!! :)

hovewhite

Quote from: MrFFC on July 08, 2018, 01:58:27 PM
We will bring in signings I'm confident of that but I do think it's crucial to get deals done for likes of Mitrovic , Piazon , Kalas , Norwood to give us a stronger squad & they are all players who don't need to settle in they know how we play already
resigning those players is a must in my mind with the Chelsea players they might go to last minute mitro believe we will sign him Targett from saints don't believe that will happen Norwood if we want him believe we will get him.
Who knows apart from transfer committee who will come in!

MikeW

When I kicked this off my intention was to simply highlight Warnock's policy of sign lot's, discard quite a few and keep the big lads who will do a job.

But as others point out, we are really behind the pack in signing people.  Who knows what the gaffer's input is but the Talbot(s) one hopes are working like Beavers.  Across the squad we need at least 10 to make us remotely creditable.  I'm guessing up to 50M for the sort of quality we need.  £20M Mitro, £10M a decent centre half, £5-8M a full back, Another 'keeper, £2-3M, £5-8M some decent defensive and mid field cover? Soon adds up
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

hovewhite

Don't think 50mill buys a lot,I think it's more 70 mill minimum and there middle level players.

HatterDon

Let's go back 12 months, shall we? How many of you predicted then that, twelve months later, we'd be in the Premier League?

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Andy S

All this get hem in early so they adapt. Is it really that important with players of the highest quality? Personally I don't think it is. If you are teaching players to play a completely different way possibly but we were playing remixer style football for the last two seasons and will not change. Players who come in should slot in seamlessly
Cardiff on the othe hand will eithe try to play the same way with better players or totally change the way they play. All a recipe for a difficult season in the prem

toshes mate

Quote from: Andy S on July 09, 2018, 08:43:25 AM
All this get them in early so they adapt. Is it really that important with players of the highest quality?
The earlier a player comes in the better the 'fit' will be come competitive action.  Targett 'fitted in' straight away but it took a while for Sessegnon and he to develop a better understanding of strength and weaknesses.  Paradoxically Sessegnon and Mitrovic seemed to mesh very quickly.  Our right wing problem was largely down to finding a better fit for Fredericks and wasn't really settled. 

And that was achieved with a coaching team who seem to know how to get players to adapt to each other quite quickly and are very adept at achieving steady improvements.  The more you play together the better the chemistry should get just like any relationship on the planet, except the ones that go awry that is.

S.F.Sorrow

It's not just about adapting tactically. It's about physical fitness as well. Targett came mid season. Any signings we make in the next couple of weeks will most likely join us after a summer holiday and not be 100% match fit. There's a physical aspect to pre-season, not just tactics. Of course professional players should be expected to be able to get in shape at another club but it's not exactly unusual for last minute signings to need a bit of fitness work before they can play 90mins.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Andy S on July 09, 2018, 08:43:25 AM
All this get hem in early so they adapt. Is it really that important with players of the highest quality? Personally I don't think it is. If you are teaching players to play a completely different way possibly but we were playing remixer style football for the last two seasons and will not change. Players who come in should slot in seamlessly
Cardiff on the othe hand will eithe try to play the same way with better players or totally change the way they play. All a recipe for a difficult season in the prem

The sooner and earlier we recruit players, the more chance we have of getting a good start. It's called preparation, organisation, conditioning and match fitness, sharpness and timing.
Otherwise we are playing catch up, and by neglecting this will most certainly guarantee a long tough hard and dissapointing season, which will undo all the Managers hard work last season.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.