News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Poll: Where do we still need to strengthen?

Started by Milo, July 24, 2018, 05:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which top 3 positions do we need to strengthen?

GK
1 (1.2%)
RB
4 (4.9%)
RCB
58 (70.7%)
LCB
5 (6.1%)
LB
44 (53.7%)
DM
3 (3.7%)
CM
2 (2.4%)
LW/RW
25 (30.5%)
CF
65 (79.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Milo

Would be interested to know where everyone thinks we still need to strengthen?

Transfers in so far: Fabri (GK), Le Marchand (LCB/LB), and Seri (DM/CM).

This is how I see us lining up currently:

GK: Fabri
RB: Christie
RCB: Odoi
LCB: Ream
LB: Le Marchand
DM: MacDonald
CM: Seri
CM: Cairney
RW: Kamara
CF: God knows?
LW: Sessegnon

I have chosen to merge LW/RW and the two CM positions as I felt with our formation they are largely interchangeable and I do not want the results skewed by which side people choose to play individuals.

Would be interesting to see if we get what we want in a few weeks time!

HV71

RCB is vital and the number one priority ( assuming that we get Mitro ) - we also need a more experienced and savvy RW but who also has pace . This will be vital in getting us forward quicker ( especially given the fact that we are likely to have to play a more counter attacking game. Kamara is good and improving but we need a more finished article.

Milo

Results will likely be skewed if people decide to shift AK to CF... however let's just see what happens! I decided to base the poll off the formation last season with a true CF.

hovewhite

Owing to the poll I ran out of numbers as think we need 2 CFs 1 as back up and not rui fonte.

Milo

Quote from: hovewhite on July 24, 2018, 05:46:39 PM
Owing to the poll I ran out of numbers as think we need 2 CFs 1 as back up and not rui fonte.

Ah sorry! I know it's not perfect but I think I've designed it the best I can for a one size fits all approach!

You can select CF and LW/RW if you'd like. Remember Joka tends to switch players around up front anyway so it wouldn't be too inappropriate.

Milo

Very interesting to see no one feels we need to upgrade on Christie so far!

Classic94

In order of priority:

RCB - Odoi and Djalo are currently our only options. One is 5'10 and the other isn't very good.

CF - Goals keep you up. Simple as. Mitrovic or similar quality needed.

LB - We don't have one in the squad.

RW needs strengthening but we at least have Kamara, Ayite and Kebano as cover. Same applies to RB with Christie and DM with McDonald.

filham

Love to think that with a pre season behind him Kamara may have progressed sufficiently to occupy one of the attacking positions, this would save us spending a few million on a high risk signing.

Tex

I don't know much about seri, but if cairney was injured could he provide backup for cairney, and then Johansen would cover seri?

Or is Seri not that kind of player...

David I

Quote from: Milo on July 24, 2018, 05:51:50 PM
Very interesting to see no one feels we need to upgrade on Christie so far!
Not that..... You only offered a max of three choices.
Everyone knows we need 2 X cf ( Mitrovic plus right cf for cover) LB, above anything else. We lost 8, signed 3.... Makes us 3 perm and 2 loans short minimum...

Woolly Mammoth

Well hopefully if Schurries medical today goes through without a hitch. A right Centre Back, an orthodox left back, and a centre forward/ Striker I feel are the three main priorities. But it would not surprise me to see another midfielder being brought in also.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

AllyWhite

By the weekend I expect to see Schurrle and Mitrovic.

That would mean

CB: Indireneed
CB: Ream/Le Marchand
LB: Indireneed
CM: Serri
CM: Johansen/KMac
RW: Schurrle
ST: Mitrovic

Plus 2-3 more squad players.

Woolly Mammoth

Yes definitely, it's starting to look more like it, and there is a shape taking place.
The Right Centre Back and Left Back issues, are becoming even more important now.

Never forget your Roots.

Porthogs FC

Quote from: AllyWhite on July 25, 2018, 05:05:51 AM
By the weekend I expect to see Schurrle and Mitrovic.

That would mean

CB: Indireneed
CB: Ream/Le Marchand
LB: Indireneed
CM: Serri
CM: Johansen/KMac
RW: Schurrle
ST: Mitrovic

Plus 2-3 more squad players.

I think we can expect Schurrle, Mitro. Odds on favorites. For me that leaves another CF/SS hybrid (Welbeck is rumored), perhaps another RW/LW, a DM, a RCB, an LB, and possibly another hybrid RB/LB. By count, that's another 8, and remember two can be loans. We've been schrewd with our loan moves in the past,, would expect the same. Which would mean 11 in this window. Wouldn't be surprised to see us ship out another 2 or 3 if all the above happens (thinking Kebano, Ayite, Fonte and Odoi are the likely suspects).

Grumpy Worthing White

Woolly Mammoth

Never forget your Roots.

Hatch007

Statto

That's harsh on Christie IMHO to state we need a new starting RB.

I thought he gave a very credible account of himself whenever called upon last season (albeit not in  the EPL, granted, but then that applies to all the promotion squad we are pinning our hopes on this season) and with his two assists away at Bristol City and Sheff Wed, pro rata against mins on the pitch I imagine he compares very favourably with Freddo.

Odoi is a more than capable deputy for RB and, hopefully, S Sessegnon might prove himself worthy of the odd appearance from the bench this season. Of the current crop of Academy players whom I've seen with my own eyes on a few occasions I believe Matt O'Reilly and Sess II look, by far, the two most likely to eventually fully integrate with the First Team squad.

The general consensus amongst us seems to determine we need a CB, LB and CF. Even allowing for Joka favouring one up front Mitro (god willing he signs) needs cover since he can't be expected to start every match even if fit. Hence, I hope we sign 2 CFs although I'd reluctantly settle for one since I'm a fan of AK47 and believe he will continue the improvement he showed promising signs of last season.

COYW

Twig

It would be great to sign top dollar replacements all over the squad but that is clearly not going to happen.  Odoi was terrific last season both at CB and out wide. I disagree with Statto on that one, I'm not sure he should be starting at CB but he is a very useful utility cover across the back four.
As for Christie I didn't really settle on an opinion last season.  I would certainly want to see him a couple of times before writing him off!

toshes mate

Quote from: Twig on July 25, 2018, 10:25:06 AM
It would be great to sign top dollar replacements all over the squad...
If only....