watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The curious case of Cauley Woodrow..

Started by General, July 25, 2018, 01:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

I have always liked Cauley and when he played with Dembele I actually thought he was the better player. However several different managers have given him the thumbs down so it must now be time for him to leave us. He must be worth a few pound in a lower league, I guess we are just waiting for an offer for him.

I wish him the best of luck, he needs regular football.

wheelerdeeler

He's Striker Dan Burn. Good high-end League 1, low-end Championship player that some may overrate as a result of being "one of our own".

The Old Count

Sometimes it is better to take a step back to take two steps forward.

An unbroken run of games in a lower league like league 1 may change things around for him.

elgreenio

suffers from being an "all rounder", always has, dating back to his youth team days.

Not a type to beat a player for pace, or a bit of skill, nor is he one to bully an opponent off the ball.

I'd take him over Fonte any day though
touch my camera through the fence

@jolslover

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on July 25, 2018, 06:41:54 PM
He's Striker Dan Burn. Good high-end League 1, low-end Championship player that some may overrate as a result of being "one of our own".

+1 +1
I remember being in the minority here that said Dembele was better than Woodrow, Im glad time has proven me correct in that regard.
No way is Woodrow better than Fonte aswell. The man couldn't make the Bristol City bench for the second half of last season.
STH H3

Facts Not Fiction

He's an incredibly poor striker. His finishing ability just hasn't improved at all.

@jolslover

Quote from: Statto on July 25, 2018, 08:15:02 PM
Quote from: @jolslover on July 25, 2018, 07:41:34 PM
Quote from: wheelerdeeler on July 25, 2018, 06:41:54 PM

+1 +1
I remember being in the minority here that said Dembele was better than Woodrow, Im glad time has proven me correct in that regard.
No way is Woodrow better than Fonte aswell. The man couldn't make the Bristol City bench for the second half of last season.

hmmm, a "minority" of about 99%, i suspect

and in fairness time hasn't proved you correct by ever such a huge margin - after a year or so of speculation in the press and on this board that dembele would join barcelona for £40m, he's turned out to be something like a top half championship player

i could see them lining up on opposite sides in a fixture like Boro v Wigan

Nope an alarmingly large amount did maintain Woodrow was better than Dembele when Symons was manager
STH H3

The Old Count

Quote from: Carborundum on July 25, 2018, 05:31:44 PM
He's not the type of player our system needs up top.  Will do better elsewhere.

If playing regularly for Fulham is a widely-shared definition of "making it" in football, fair enough it's a matter of opinion and that's a reasonable line to draw.  But my definition of making it is set a bit differently.  Anyone who gets paid anything at all to play football has, in my eyes, "made it" to a place far beyond my capabilities.  But I'm not bitter because I know that football can deliver so much to those that don't make that grade.

+ 1   Cerebral and sensible comment

Barrett487

ealex40

Andre Schurrle has taken number 14.

That was Cauley Woodrow's until now, so the writing is obviously on the wall.

WayneKerrins

Last time I saw him was at Wycombe in the Carabou Cup last August.
Had a stinker against lower league teams b team.

The old mucker

Quote from: Sherlock on July 25, 2018, 02:15:53 PM
I would imagine he's still at the club because he is on a contract that pays more than the wages the kind of clubs interested in him are willing to pay.

Nothing against Cauley, he seems a nice enough guy but he has no future at Fulham. His level is League 1 or possibly mid-table Championship if he improves his form and qualities slightly.

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: ealex40 on July 25, 2018, 10:08:49 PM
Andre Schurrle has taken number 14.

That was Cauley Woodrow's until now, so the writing is obviously on the wall.

Not exactly. He started with 25, moved to 16 in the championship then moved to 14 when Norwood arrived.
But the reality is, he was on his final year in 2017 when he was called up to the euros squad for u21s.
England had made the semi final to play Germany when the contract extension was announced. Cauley had, and would only go on to play, 2 minutes in the tournament, but Fulham seemingly protected their asset and extended his contract. Obviously the hope was a good tournament and kicking on but it didn't turn out that way.
Whether it was the top or bottom of the championship, he didn't cut it . The contract extension is now being run down until he leaves.  League 1 is his best bet but he had a golden opportunity to kick on here when we were crying out for a hero during the many times we went without a decent striker he was continually overlooked by our managers and Lee Johnson.

Check out that link for Bristol opinions

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/193086-woodrow/#comment-3153804