News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Start of season thoughts (Warning: LONG)

Started by Ordar, October 04, 2010, 11:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ordar

Now that we're into the second international break I thought I'd share my thoughts of our start to the season under Mark Hughes.

Firstly, I was delighted that we got Sparky, he seems like a decent guy and has obviously quality as a manager. Its encouraging to hear him saying how good our overall set up is and how impressed with the quality of the club.

Our style of play is miles better than under Hodgson, where we were more functional. Hodgson is a European coach (by style not nationality), the way he sets up to play works far more effectively against the European sides (and I include the clubs who play Champions League football in the premiership) than in the premiership. Its just too defensive away from home in the Prem to get victories. Ironically when Hodgson has us properly attack away from home, we won. (see Man City, Reading, Basle and Bolton). The signs away from home under Hughes are far more encouraging. People may be moaning that we've only drawn our away games, but with a bit of luck, some better decisions and finishing we could have won all of them. At least we're attacking and trying to win the games

The few signings Hughes has made all seem decent. Dembele and Salcido are absolute class, obviously not seen much of Halliche. I was a bit worried how Salcido especially would find the pace of the english game, but he's been fantastic. His crossing on the whole is miles better than what we're used to! Dembele is a superstar. He was unfortunate to pick up the injury when he did. Will be good to see him back after the international break.

Zamora's injury was obviously a massive blow. He has been absolutely brilliant. The only possible positive I can take from it is that the team will have to adapt to a different style of play, hopefully making us more dynamic when the big man returns in Feb/March. Having a plan b is essential.

As I said, our team play is much more positive. A person that epitomises this is Dickson. What a transformation. He's had his critics, but he's really coming into his own. I felt he bossed the game at West Ham, and the second half tackle he made was great! I really believe he can only get better and better once he gets used to the box to box duties more. He's actually been unlucky not to score in quite a few games, maybe a bit more work on his finishing will help, but its very encouraging to see him getting into the positions.

Lots of positives, now for a couple points of concern

Danny Murphy is passed it. Sorry Danny, the signs were there last year, and its more apparent this year. Has been either totally annonomous in games or consistantly giving the ball away. We need something to change here.

Right back. I actually felt Kelly deserved his chance when he was picked ahead of JP and Baird there, until his unfortunate injury. I feel its a concern. Kelly is adequate, but unspectacular, Baird is not a rb, we all know this, and poor old JP, as much as I love his enthusiasm, had an extremely poor start to the season.

Errors. I'm not sure if its because we're playing more open, or just being unlucky, but nearly all the goals we've conceeded this year have been directly after an error. I dont expect this to continue, as I think our defence is too good, but it has been a worry.

Goalkeeper. Personally I'm sick of Schwarzers attitude, and I'd give Stockdale the nod ahead of him. If the guy wants to leave let him. Stockdale started the season brilliantly, seems humble when I read any comments he says, and deserves a chance.

Once we get some players back after the break we could see even more progress under Hughes. Granted we have drawn alot of games, but I believe its only a matter of time before we turn draws into wins. We are creating enough (bar the Stoke game), just need to put some chances away. Also a little help from referees wouldnt go amiss. Seems like we're complaining about a penalty we should have had in nearly every game.

Positive stuff Fulham COYW!!

On a side note, can anyone remember the last game we playing in when either of the following happened:

1) The opposition goalkeeper has played badly,
2) We've scored a truly flukey goal.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Fully agree,however,Skippy had a decent game against the Hammers,credit were credit is due.This little break has come at the right time,gives us a chance to get our Belgian belter back :59:

Logicalman

Excellent post, and I can agree 100% with everything said.

I would add one more concern in though, and that being due the way that Sparky has given the players more freedom of movement around the field (as noted above regarding Dickson), unfortunately our passing has not kept up with this new found freedom. In particular Hangerland, not exactly known for his accuracy, when he  forays forward over the mid-line, he appears ungainly and not comfortable with the ball at his feet, and seems to put himself into trouble then having to make a hurried pass that all to often goes astray. Unlike his counterpart Hughes, who, like the other two at the back can run and pass the ball with confidence, Hangerland has generally one benefit to the team, and moving forward is not that benefit.

Lighthouse

Yes but .. Oh no , agree with it all really. Enjoy these  mini round ups of the season so far.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

finnster01

Quote from: Logicalman on October 04, 2010, 11:53:34 AM
Excellent post, and I can agree 100% with everything said.

I would add one more concern in though, and that being due the way that Sparky has given the players more freedom of movement around the field (as noted above regarding Dickson), unfortunately our passing has not kept up with this new found freedom. In particular Hangerland, not exactly known for his accuracy, when he  forays forward over the mid-line, he appears ungainly and not comfortable with the ball at his feet, and seems to put himself into trouble then having to make a hurried pass that all to often goes astray. Unlike his counterpart Hughes, who, like the other two at the back can run and pass the ball with confidence, Hangerland has generally one benefit to the team, and moving forward is not that benefit.
Fair enough, Mr Logicalman, everyone to their own, but I think you are a tad too harsh on the big man. Yes, he has made a couple of mistakes but he sure as hell have saved our arse in many more situations clearing the line, getting last second blocks in etc. His heading is second to none in the entire prem (he owned even Vidic and an in-form Berbatov for the late Man U goal), which makes Hughes role a lot simpler. That's why the H&H Thames Barrier is such a great combo. Each complement the other. Brede's passing isn't as bad as you think it is either, but that is just my own opinion.

Granted a bit more focus for a full 90 minutes, but I think he is not the anti-christ with a pass or going forward (which rarely happens unless a corner/set piece) you describe him to be.

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead