watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Worst Country You've Visited

Started by The Rock, July 31, 2018, 05:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rock

Didn't want to change the topic of the other thread, and surely a few of you have some dodgy travel stories in some places no one should ever go.

My WORST: Rio de Janeiro. You want to get yourself killed? Go to Brazil. 95% of it is unsafe. Want to hear gun shots in the morning next to the beach, this is your place. Tijuana is a close second, got robbed by the police there, that was nice. The entire continent of South America is a dump.

Holders

There's lots of countries that just don't appeal so I just wouldn't go there - e.g. Syria (at present, though my father said it was interesting when he was there in WW2), Israel and a certain country that it's best not to mention on here.

The worst dump I've actually visited is Malta. The southern Spanish coast is really built up but inland is interesting so it would be unfair to tarnish the whole country on that count.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

grandad

The UK. Only reason I go back twice a year is to visit my 96 YO mother & get to see a few FFC games. The rest I give a miss to. It is now dirty, smelly, noisy, & expensive.
Where there's a will there's a wife

ToodlesMcToot

I'm up for most traveling experiences but, would have to draw the line at war zones.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Twig

Saudi Arabia isn't much fun. I've spent a fair bit of time there and found little of interest and far too many restrictions.

alfie

Turkey, most rudest people I have ever encountered, appreciate others may have had a good time.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Twig

I really don't think it's fair or reasonable to call the whole South American continent a dump.  Argentina's capital is great fun with good food and wine, Chille has some beautiful landscapes, Columbia has always been a treat but now it is also quite a safe place.

lomotd

Quote from: The Rock on July 31, 2018, 05:30:08 PM
My WORST: Rio de Janeiro. You want to get yourself killed? Go to Brazil. 95% of it is unsafe. Want to hear gun shots in the morning next to the beach, this is your place. Tijuana is a close second, got robbed by the police there, that was nice. The entire continent of South America is a dump.

I loved Rio de Janiero when I was there last year! Most beautiful location for a city in the world and a great party.

We Are Premier League

Russia, awful bunch of people. Well, it not really the peoples fault, they are just unfriendly as the result of many years of communism

davew

Quote from: Holders on July 31, 2018, 05:37:36 PM
There's lots of countries that just don't appeal so I just wouldn't go there - e.g. Syria (at present, though my father said it was interesting when he was there in WW2), Israel and a certain country that it's best not to mention on here.

The worst dump I've actually visited is Malta. The southern Spanish coast is really built up but inland is interesting so it would be unfair to tarnish the whole country on that count.
Malta my least favourite also, as you fly in it looks like Beirut!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

HV71

I also have to stick up for both Argentina and Chile - wonderful landscapes and scenery and safer than many places in this country. Hell holes? I can't stand Paris and Marseille  (but many will disagree )

Southcoastffc

(Puts tin hat on) In my experience the rudest, most arrogant people are English....... so, although the country itself has a huge amount to offer, it has to be England.   Sorry chaps and chapesses!  093.gif
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

cottage expat

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Some countries can become threatening after dark

We never felt safe in parts of Stone Town,Zanzibar , Bangkok, ,or Cape Town , all in countries which otherwise had so much to offer the tourist.

We have travelled extensively but the people who we could not take to were the Turkish. So rude.

Holders

Quote from: davew on July 31, 2018, 06:31:58 PM
Quote from: Holders on July 31, 2018, 05:37:36 PM

Malta my least favourite also, as you fly in it looks like Beirut!

A good comparison! I was very disappointed. Medina was ok and Gozo was beautiful (but that's not actually Malta). The rest you couldn't tell if it was under construction or just been bombed.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

HatterDon

Vietnam

I'm sure it's very nice now, but when I was there, one asshat or another was trying to kill me EVERY DAMN DAY.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

S.F.Sorrow

Cairo. Even with all the amazing historical and archeological sites it's just horrible. Nothing of the charm that can be found in many other parts of the Arab world. Just one giant tourist trap. You can't walk around Cairo even for 2 minutes without someone trying to rip you off. They've really taken tourist scams to a whole different level there. It's extremely well organised, often involving a large number of people that are manipulating you for hours. Some of the classic Cairo scams actually start at the airport! And if it doesn't work out the way they want... it gets ugly. The police is usually in on it so no help there. I admire their creativity but I've never been more happy to leave a place.

ron

Tunisia. On a travel programme,  anthea turner described it as " A toilet. All the time people are trying to sell you cheap bits of coral.......nothing would get me to go back there...."

I totally agree. On a visit there, we found that every waiter etc was constantly pursuing us for tips, bills were padded with things we didn't order...also in the street in Tunis a group bumped into us and afterwards we found my wife's shoulder bag had been razored to get into the contents. Luckily they failed to get anything, and I'm pleased to say that no one in that public lav of a country will ever get the chance to try it on us again.

Ps. I did like going to see the ruins of Carthage, but felt some kinship with General Scipio Africanus about his treatment of the place!

F(f)CUK

As I put on the other post, Nassau in the Bahamas is horrible. They have a national park on the island of New Providence, it is 50m x 50m. It is the only natural undisturbed foliage on the island.

Mince n Tatties