watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Duke of Westminster

Started by Dodgin, August 03, 2018, 05:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgin

Story in the Times today page 13, that the late sixth Duke of Westminster was offered a trial by George Cohen when he coached Fulham's youth side. His father the Fifth Duke declined it said too much kissing goes on after a goal was scored. He could have bought the club.

Fernhurst

For years and years he was richest man in Britain.

Worked for him through his company Grosvenor Estates.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

G_Gribby

The present Duke of Westminster is of course always welcome to Craven Cottage.
Only Sweden has Swedish gooseberries.

filham

Was dispatched to Ireland once , jet travel, to look a  very minor problem on a small plant on one of his estates. When he complained about anything suppliers and contractors jumped quickly into action.
We are talking enormous wealth and influence.

Neil D

Quote from: Dodgin on August 03, 2018, 05:14:22 PM
Story in the Times today page 13, that the late sixth Duke of Westminster was offered a trial by George Cohen when he coached Fulham's youth side. His father the Fifth Duke declined it said too much kissing goes on after a goal was scored.

The fathers are often the last to know...

CottagersOnTour

Quote from: Fernhurst on August 03, 2018, 05:27:11 PM

Duke of Northumberland these days.... biggest landowner in the UK after the Queen; he owns most of the countryside around Surrey/Hampshire!

Robbie

How much Death Duty/IHT did the last one pay?   Reportedly he avoided enough to pay off the NHS debt.
Nice to have a Trust.

Neil D

Quote from: Robbie on August 03, 2018, 06:07:47 PM
How much Death Duty/IHT did the last one pay?
Only saps pay IHT. Mrs Windsor will tell you that.

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: CottagersOnTour on August 03, 2018, 05:59:35 PM

Duke of Northumberland these days.... biggest landowner in the UK after the Queen; he owns most of the countryside around Surrey/Hampshire!
I always thought the biggest landowner in England was the Church of England??
Turns out it's the Forestry Commission!   :hook:
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Holders

Does he own the Cowdray Park estate - i.e. most of Midhurst and surrounding villages?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Holders

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on August 03, 2018, 06:33:46 PM

I thought it was the former British Rail.

Fernhurst

The origins of the Westminster wealth dates back to 1287 when a 12 year old girl named Mary Davies inherited 5 fields in the London area which immediately made her marriageable so the 1st Duke of Westminster did. Kept it very respectable and they did not live together until Mary turned 18 and shortly after produced the the 2nd Duke.
The 5 fields are now the wealthiest part of London- Mayfair, Oxford Street and all the surrounding areas which the Dukes still own and have never sold, everybody leases from Dukes, the only freehold property was given as gift to Maggie Thatcher in Connaught Square.

Holders

That's a sad story, I hate to hear of fields getting built upon. It's happening far too much at the moment.

bog

I heard this a few years back. I knew he was a good footballer, when interviewed once he said he very often found himself a target for crunching tackles so he stopped playing. Seemed to come across as nice chap who struggled with the burden of his inheritance. I may be wrong here.

092.gif 

bog

Quote from: Fernhurst on August 03, 2018, 07:15:38 PM
The origins of the Westminster wealth dates back to 1287 when a 12 year old girl named Mary Davies inherited 5 fields in the London area which immediately made her marriageable so the 1st Duke of Westminster did. Kept it very respectable and they did not live together until Mary turned 18 and shortly after produced the the 2nd Duke.
The 5 fields are now the wealthiest part of London- Mayfair, Oxford Street and all the surrounding areas which the Dukes still own and have never sold, everybody leases from Dukes, the only freehold property was given as gift to Maggie Thatcher in Connaught Square.

Interesting story Fernhurst.

092.gif

CottagersOnTour

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on August 03, 2018, 06:33:46 PM

Ah I meant Private Landowner!!

Ged

Quote from: Fernhurst on August 03, 2018, 07:15:38 PM
Maggie never lived in Connaught Square but Chester  Square which she paid the Duke of Westminster  £700000 for a ten year lease

Fernhurst

The Duke gifted Maggie the freehold and if you walk around the square Ged you will notice all the doors are black (lease condition) except Maggies which was blue.

May have gone back to Black now if freehold reverted to Duke after her death.