watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Norman Wisdom dies aged 95...

Started by LBNo11, October 04, 2010, 10:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

...RIP Norman, you gave so much pleasure to me as a lad, you knew how to make us laugh, you made comedy a craft.

Thank you...

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

White Noise

A true original and a very nice guy. There will be much mourning in Albania as well.

CorkedHat

Sorry LB - I know I shouldn't say this and I apologise in advance - but after sixty years I have actually found someone who thought Norman Wisdom was funny. I could fill the Albert Hall with people I knew who thought Tommy Cooper was funny, but with Norman Wisdom I couldn't fill a sentry box.
Anyway RIP Norman - I know now that you had at least one fan. :012:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

SouthfieldWhite

Loved watching him as a kid, showing my age now, i thought he was funny too, R I P Norman......MR GRIMSDALE.... MR GRIMSDALE  :Sparkyticus:

Lighthouse

On school holidays my Mum would take me to the Cinema as a treat. One year we went to see Early Bird. Now I must admit I was expecting a sci fi film on the satellite that had just gone up. But it turned out to be a Norman Wisdom in a film about a small time milkman against the big milk delivery company.

'Don't laugh at me cause I'm a clown' was his song. Must admit not a fan but he made me smile in Early Bird.

God Bless to him.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

CorkedHat

Quote from: Lighthouse on October 05, 2010, 12:12:48 AM
On school holidays my Mum would take me to the Cinema as a treat. One year we went to see Early Bird. Now I must admit I was expecting a sci fi film on the satellite that had just gone up. But it turned out to be a Norman Wisdom in a film about a small time milkman against the big milk delivery company.

'Don't laugh at me cause I'm a clown' was his song. Must admit not a fan but he made me smile in Early Bird.

God Bless to him.

It seems that my mates and I are in the minority - but the song was "Don't Laugh at me because I'm a fool" - Mr Beamer.
Of course people take on an added dimension when they die - they become more than they were when they were alive, but I am prepared to accept that because my mates, family and I did not like his brand of humour, there were some who palpably did.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Fernhurst

Rest in peace Norman  ...... a very good (and long) life bringing harmless fun to a whole generation.

Certainly able to light up small faces for an hour, away from sometimes hard times in the 1950's.

My father was proud Norman was in the same regiment has him back in the day. The 10th Hussars left both with a lifelong love of horses. 

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

that's a shame he was a lovely bloke,I met him a few times when I lived on the Isle of Man,he used to just "turn up" at Charity golf do's with a bottle of Champagne as a prize and make every one laugh.I once ran a function at the Isle of Man Hilton,the top table was Stan Boardman,Norman Collier,Frank Carson and Norman Wisdom-Norman Wisdom stole the shown,he did his falling over trick with a tray full of drinks,he never split a drop and went flying himself-he was in his mid 80's even then.He was a kind honest,old fashioned gentle gentleman, RIP mate

epsomraver

John he was a really nice bloke and lived just around the corner to me, always chatted to people,even me! no airs or graces, I ,like you didn't find his films funny when I was younger the same as Frank Spencer when he first appeared but when you watch them now and see the stunts he did he was an amazing bloke, terrible childhood, abusive father who when he left school opened the front door and slung him out to live on the streets, he joined the Kate and learnt to box, play all sorts of musical instruments, if you get a chance try and see him on the Des O'oconnor show when he tells the story of the bloke listening at a manhole cover, I defy you not to laugh

Lighthouse

With all due respect Mr CH, humour and slapstick sometimes doesn't  work for everybody. Wisdom was not a favourite of mine but I could see why some loved him. Jerry Lewis films with Dean Martin made me embarrased to watch even as a kid. I never 'got' Elvis as a great singer either. But when somebody dies they don't become more, Mr Corked Hat, they cease to become at all. If they didn't hurt too many people and brought joy to a few then it really doesn't matter what I thought of them when they were alive. The space were they were remains empty.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

LBNo11

....Norman, playing football, having the same problems we have with referees as we have (after 35 seconds)

Norman Wisdom | Football Match (Up In The World)

:clap_hands:
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

licker

Quote from: SouthfieldWhite on October 04, 2010, 11:56:57 PM
Loved watching him as a kid, showing my age now, i thought he was funny too, R I P Norman......MR GRIMSDALE.... MR GRIMSDALE  :Sparkyticus:

That was Classic.  :011: :011:

ron

Agree about Wisdom humour being not terribly funny to everyone....but most of us watched the films as kids in the early 'sixties, and have to own up to having a chuckle at this when I saw it a few weeks ago.......

On the Beat

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

If it wasn't for Norman Wisdom,Lee Evans wouldn't have had a career :dft011: :57:

manxman

one christmas when i was younger, my parents bought me a pack of his films, i watched all of them, and loved them. A couple of months later i was crossing a road in Ramsey (isle of man) and he was walking across the road in the opposite  direction, my mum pointed out that it was norman! so i stopped him for a autograph and had a little chat with him  :003: lovely man

R.I.P Norman wisdon
"What in the hell is diversity?"
"Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era."

vagrant

I actually have a box set of dvd's of Norman.  Wonderful.  I defy anyone not to laugh when in one particular film he is having his passport photo taken........ :011: