watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Best Welshman to play for Fulham.

Started by Russianrob, August 07, 2018, 09:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russianrob

Don't know why but for the past few years I have suddenly taken a dislike to the Welsh.Maybe it is because they thought they were the team of the UK at the last Euros and they cannot accept that the English are superior to them in every way!However in fairness over the years they have gifted Fulham with some great players.But who has been the best for us?Ivor,Cookie,Davies or another?
I would go for Cookie as he also did a great job as manager with a really average Fulham team.

Fulham Joe

Loved CC, but surely it has to be our record goal scorer Gordon Davies?

filham

This one is no contest, it has to be Ivor by a country mile, especially when you recall how much (little) we paid for him.

KJS

Ivor by a country mile :Haynes The Maestro:

Sir Alec of good Stock

Ivor. £2,500 and a friendly at Penydarren Park

Andy S

I can't argue Ivor. However there was a guy called cliff jones and I think spurs had the best of him before he arrived here. Cookie was good as well but it doesn't really matter what nationality as long as they give their best while they are here

Fulham Tup North

049:gif
I had my photo taken with 'Ivor' before the home game v Bolton Wanders in 1982.  Got to meet the players in the dressing room before ko.
I was only 17 and he was still smaller than me.  Joined the forces the following week.  We won 4-0 as well.
Had a photo somewhere? 
Quality player who could turn on a sixpence.  Knew exactly where the goal was.
He would thrive with the football we play now imo.
COYW       :Haynes The Maestro:
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Dr Know

Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on August 07, 2018, 09:33:49 PM
Ivor. £2,500 and a friendly at Penydarren Park
Fulham paid £4000  for ivor in march 1978 !

Colton F.C.

Quote from: Andy S on August 07, 2018, 09:54:00 PM
I can't argue Ivor. However there was a guy called cliff jones and I think spurs had the best of him before he arrived here. Cookie was good as well but it doesn't really matter what nationality as long as they give their best while they are here

Cliff Jones is one of the great Spurs legends.  Sadly as with Budgie Byrne and numerous others the expiry date had long passed.  Nowadays the penny seemed to have dropped and we have the no-one over 28 rule.

b+w geezer

Cliff Jones was the only all-time Welsh great to have played for us, but to nominate him would be like calling George Best our greatest ever player. So in my time, mid-60s onwards,  as club servants it would be Ivor first and Cookie second, even if  their overall careers were in opposite order. For quality, plus achievement, in his quieter way, Simon Davies threatens both, mind you.

Asotosyios

Too young a Fulham fan to remember Ivor, but I always liked Simon Davies; even more after the beauty against Hamburg!

Lighthouse

Not sure there can be any argument. In a number of pretty iffy sides Ivor was our greatest forward and highest scorer. His partnership with Dean Coney made Coney play better and despite being against defenders who took no prisoner Davies proved time and time again able to outsmart the best of them.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Marinelloguthrie

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on August 07, 2018, 10:04:23 PM
049:gif
I had my photo taken with 'Ivor' before the home game v Bolton Wanders in 1982.  Got to meet the players in the dressing room before ko.
I was only 17 and he was still smaller than me.  Joined the forces the following week.  We won 4-0 as well.
Had a photo somewhere? 
Quality player who could turn on a sixpence.  Knew exactly where the goal was.
He would thrive with the football we play now imo.
COYW       :Haynes The Maestro:

Tell you what he was excellent at and probably the first of our players i saw do it and that was winning penalties...

fulham traveller

paulbrookersmazydribbles

I absolutely loved Simon Davies - for whom b+w geezer has already put in a shout above - and I can't comment on Ivor as he was before my time. My Dad, however, has regaled me with countless stories about Ivor's greatness that I can well believe he was something special.

I think you'd be able to make a decent side from the Welsh players we've had - what with Cookie, Symons, Melville, Pembridge, S. Davies, G. Davies and George Williams, who unfortunately we never saw reach his true potential in a Fulham shirt.

The Enclosurite

Ivor was before my time so for me it could only be Chris Coleman.
¡COYW!

St. Andrews White

Ivor no contest.

Simon Davies was always one of my faves however. Went to an open training at the cottage and no one could cross yet time and again he put it on a 50p piece.
A class player who scored some I portent strikes so had to be up there as one of our most important ever players.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

The Intertoto might not exist anymore, but that doesn't matter. We'll still win it again.

SuffolkWhite

Yep IVOR, Remember the goal against Chesterfield from an acute angle and their manager doing his nut after the game lol. What I also liked about him was the cheeky smile and good humour he had on the pitch.

Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Camel Club

Ivor remains an absolute legend and it is he for me (and by some distance) who is the greatest Welshman to wear the Fulham shirt.

It is over 40 years since Gordon first signed for us but even now he was the embodiment of everything we believe our club stands for. He was my first Fulham hero.

Mitch