Main Menu

Best Welshman to play for Fulham.

Started by Russianrob, August 07, 2018, 09:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: Dr Know on August 07, 2018, 10:04:24 PM
Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on August 07, 2018, 09:33:49 PM
Ivor. £2,500 and a friendly at Penydarren Park
Fulham paid £4000  for ivor in march 1978 !

£2,500 was the price quoted at the time and I went to the friendly at Merthyr Tydfil. We played another friendly there a couple of years later to help raise money for the family of the boxer Johnny Owen who died following a fight.

toshes mate

Quote from: b+w geezer on August 07, 2018, 10:21:50 PM
Cliff Jones was the only all-time Welsh great to have played for us, but to nominate him would be like calling George Best our greatest ever player. So in my time, mid-60s onwards,  as club servants it would be Ivor first and Cookie second, even if  their overall careers were in opposite order. For quality, plus achievement, in his quieter way, Simon Davies threatens both, mind you.

Absolutely agree with all three. 
Does anyone remember Cliff Jones punching the ball over the bar playing for Spurs and a penalty not being awarded or is my memory up to bad habits again? 

Twig

Quote from: b+w geezer on August 07, 2018, 10:21:50 PM
Cliff Jones was the only all-time Welsh great to have played for us, but to nominate him would be like calling George Best our greatest ever player. So in my time, mid-60s onwards,  as club servants it would be Ivor first and Cookie second, even if  their overall careers were in opposite order. For quality, plus achievement, in his quieter way, Simon Davies threatens both, mind you.

Spot on

Holders

All three mentioned excellent suggestions for different reasons. 
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Two Ton Ted

Never ever bloody anything ever.

Maidstone Lee

Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

Cantos

Ivor without doubt.

I feel sorry for those that didn't see him play.

St Eve