watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I'll believe this when it happens

Started by HatterDon, October 05, 2010, 09:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarolinaTim

Bring it on Ag, the Railhawks will be ready!!
Come On You Blawharmy!!!

Ag

Nostra-Don-us was on the right track with his pessimism.  NASL had it's 2nd division status revoked due to a shortage of teams meeting the financial solvency barometers.  

Don, if I didn't know better, I'd think you penned Buck Harvey's column for him today.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/article/Buck-Harvey-Why-Spurs-should-slow-on-pro-soccer-972657.php

HatterDon

About two weeks ago, the Superintendent whose school owns Alamo Stadium -- the venue the SA Spurs were looking to use in establishing a USL-2 franchise here -- replied when asked about those plans: "That stadium belongs to SAISD. There's no way that it'll ever belong to a professional soccer team."

Late this past week, the San Antonio city council reviewed the bid for the NASL Franchise -- the stadium to be built as an investment of the city. Instead of a profit of over $50k a season, the city's analysis indicated that it would more likely be a loss of about $15k a season. For that reason the council decided it was bad business to underwrite professional soccer here. Some study done somewhere indicated that San Antonio has no interest in professional soccer. Nobody asked me.

The upshot is that we're not going to get football here. Lack of interest or competing egos really have nothing to do with it. When teachers are losing their jobs and public schools may only have funding to stay open four days a week, it's difficult to convince anyone to underwrite professional sports.

Bad timing a ticka ticka ticka bad timing.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

RidgeRider

Don, I won't sugar coat it......that sucks.

duffbeer

Sorry Don.  I empathize.  I started a nice rant but cyberspace sucked it away. 

finnster01

Quote from: HatterDon on March 14, 2011, 01:14:47 AM
About two weeks ago, the Superintendent whose school owns Alamo Stadium -- the venue the SA Spurs were looking to use in establishing a USL-2 franchise here -- replied when asked about those plans: "That stadium belongs to SAISD. There's no way that it'll ever belong to a professional soccer team."

Late this past week, the San Antonio city council reviewed the bid for the NASL Franchise -- the stadium to be built as an investment of the city. Instead of a profit of over $50k a season, the city's analysis indicated that it would more likely be a loss of about $15k a season. For that reason the council decided it was bad business to underwrite professional soccer here. Some study done somewhere indicated that San Antonio has no interest in professional soccer. Nobody asked me.

The upshot is that we're not going to get football here. Lack of interest or competing egos really have nothing to do with it. When teachers are losing their jobs and public schools may only have funding to stay open four days a week, it's difficult to convince anyone to underwrite professional sports.

I know municipal budgets needs to be trimmed and balanced and times are hard. However, why pick on the teachers? Here in NYC alone they are laying off some 5000(!) teachers this year. I thought the message from the President was to invest in education? I obviously have missed a few points, but why not start laying off the lazy people in the Dept of Sanitation who are incapable of clearing the roads of snow as well as not picking up garbage? I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but every child has the right to a good education why f*ck with the teachers?  :035:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

HatterDon

Quote from: finnster01 on March 16, 2011, 10:58:02 AM

I know municipal budgets needs to be trimmed and balanced and times are hard. However, why pick on the teachers? Here in NYC alone they are laying off some 5000(!) teachers this year. I thought the message from the President was to invest in education? I obviously have missed a few points, but why not start laying off the lazy people in the Dept of Sanitation who are incapable of clearing the roads of snow as well as not picking up garbage? I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but every child has the right to a good education why f*ck with the teachers?  :035:

Because, Mr. Finn, teachers salaries is the reason the country is in a financial crisis. Now you might think it's Wall Street gamblers or unaccountable billions in cash that disappeared just about every week for 4 years on airfields in Iraq, or you might think it was just too much government spending concurrent with idiotic tax cuts. Turns out, however, that it's all because school teachers make too much money. Everything will be fine once many of them are fired, we're up to 76 or 80 kids in a class, and the school week goes to four days.

Hey, Jack. Card me; lock me. The man asked. I had to answer.

Ag

Don, everything I'm seeing just says public funding is dead.  Hartman insists he's moving forward with private funding to build a lesser stadium, but still meeting the NASL minimum of 5k capacity, on property located near Morgan's Wonderland.

I wouldn't start shoveling dirt on the grave just yet.  He was asking $8M from city/county funds.  However, if he's as serious about it as he states, he could easily cover that himself; nevermind finding business partners and/or corporate sponsorship.  Fwiw, they already have financial commitment for 1000 season tickets.  Not bad considering how up in the air this thing has been portrayed.

All indications from what I've seen are full steam ahead.  We have a name, a logo, and they're about to put uniforms up to vote.  Not saying you won't prove correct in the end, but Hartman seems pretty strong in his assertions that this will happen (as of 3/12/11).

RidgeRider

Quote from: HatterDon on March 16, 2011, 02:03:04 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on March 16, 2011, 10:58:02 AM

Because, Mr. Finn, teachers salaries is the reason the country is in a financial crisis. Now you might think it's Wall Street gamblers or unaccountable billions in cash that disappeared just about every week for 4 years on airfields in Iraq, or you might think it was just too much government spending concurrent with idiotic tax cuts. Turns out, however, that it's all because school teachers make too much money. Everything will be fine once many of them are fired, we're up to 76 or 80 kids in a class, and the school week goes to four days.

Hey, Jack. Card me; lock me. The man asked. I had to answer.

No worries. It's not a requirement that every question asked has to be answered.  :dft012:

HatterDon

Quote from: Ag on March 16, 2011, 03:10:32 PM
Don, everything I'm seeing just says public funding is dead.  Hartman insists he's moving forward with private funding to build a lesser stadium, but still meeting the NASL minimum of 5k capacity, on property located near Morgan's Wonderland.

I wouldn't start shoveling dirt on the grave just yet.  He was asking $8M from city/county funds.  However, if he's as serious about it as he states, he could easily cover that himself; nevermind finding business partners and/or corporate sponsorship.  Fwiw, they already have financial commitment for 1000 season tickets.  Not bad considering how up in the air this thing has been portrayed.

All indications from what I've seen are full steam ahead.  We have a name, a logo, and they're about to put uniforms up to vote.  Not saying you won't prove correct in the end, but Hartman seems pretty strong in his assertions that this will happen (as of 3/12/11).

I think he's whistling in the dark, Matt. He's got all this interest predicated on the city largesse and he's not going to drop everying all at once, but I think the San Antonio Scorpions are as dead as Julius Caesar.

HatterDon

and, beating my good friend Ag to the post [he loves to tell me how wrong I am], there's this in SA's biz journal:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/blog/2011/04/hartman-nets-stadium-and-president-for.html?ed=2011-04-27&s=article_du&ana=e_du_pub

Heroes Stadium is a recently built High School [American] football stadium. In Texas, that means it's a PALACE. There's plenty of parking, fantastic sightlines, and great access. Of course, being in Texas, it's a concrete surface covered with plastic grass for a pitch. So it's going to take some serious refurbishing before football can be played there well.

We got a name [a crappy one, but never mind], we got a league [still breathing], and we've got an owner ready to go for 2012. I also have dozens of friends who want to go with me to see what exactly has captured my brain lo these many years. All Hartmann and the Scorpions have to do is to beat back the SA Spurs organization. We'll see.

Steve_orino

Good luck to San Antonio!  Really hope the Scorpions can pull off the upset & FCD gets their act in gear for a meeting in the 4th round.

If this comes off & the game is in SA, I'm planning on being there...hoping to finally meet the great Hatter & Ag.

http://thecup.us/2012-us-open-cup-bracket

Have either of you two made it to a Scorpions game yet?
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

AmericanJames

Quote from: Steve_orino on May 25, 2012, 02:24:28 PM
Good luck to San Antonio!  Really hope the Scorpions can pull off the upset & FCD gets their act in gear for a meeting in the 4th round.

If this comes off & the game is in SA, I'm planning on being there...hoping to finally meet the great Hatter & Ag.

My local PDL squad the Michigan Bucks take on the Chicago Fire  this Tues. I would love to see a couple 4th division teams shock the Big Boys?

Also, out of curiosity what do you think of thecup.us site?
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

Steve_orino

Quote from: AmericanJames on May 27, 2012, 07:57:56 AM

My local PDL squad the Michigan Bucks take on the Chicago Fire  this Tues. I would love to see a couple 4th division teams shock the Big Boys?
Honestly, this is the first year I've visited it so I've nothing to compare it to.  075.gif  It seems manageable & has a lot of good info on it from the previous tournaments held.

Good luck to your Bucks - the underdogs are what make the tournament i.e. March Madness, or FA Cup.
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

AmericanJames

Quote from: Steve_orino on May 29, 2012, 12:13:10 AM
Quote from: AmericanJames on May 27, 2012, 07:57:56 AM

Honestly, this is the first year I've visited it so I've nothing to compare it to.  075.gif  It seems manageable & has a lot of good info on it from the previous tournaments held.

Good luck to your Bucks - the underdogs are what make the tournament i.e. March Madness, or FA Cup.

3-2 in extra time, massive result!!!! Amazing to be there and storm the pitch afterwards!!!

The reason I ask about the site is it's  partially run by a friend of mine an I am looking at getting involved and also he likes to hear feedback.
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

Steve_orino

Go San Antonio Go!

http://www.mlssoccer.com/blog/post/2012/06/01/armchair-analyst-stadium-plans-impressive-san-antonio

Armchair Analyst: Stadium plans impressive in San Antonio
By Matthew Doyle
One of the best stories in US soccer this year has been the rapid ascent of the San Antonio Scorpions of the NASL. The first-year expansion club has a roster filled with former MLS players, an owner who cares and a crowd that turns out rain or shine.

They're averaging more than 11,000 per game, best in the second flight, and now they have plans for what looks like a pretty sweet soccer-specific stadium that'll be expandable to more than 18,000 capacity.

It's years away, and they're very careful to say that additional seats will be added only if attendance continues to impress.

But the fact that a second-flight team is even considering such things says quite a bit about how far soccer's come in the last 10 years. Even when it's deep in the heart of football country.

A link to stadium views:
http://sanantonioscorpions.com/stadium/stadium-plans
@Borino09