watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I'll believe this when it happens

Started by HatterDon, October 05, 2010, 09:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

We're supposedly getting a football team here in san Antonio. Two of the teams already in the league are Carolina Railbirds and Crystal Palace Baltimore -- good sides with good records in the US Open Cup.

We've still got two years to love it up, but perhaps we'll really have a team in 2012.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/North_American_Soccer_League_coming_to_SA_104308314.html
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

fulhamwannabe

crysta palace,that rings a bell  :011:

Steve_orino

Come on Hatter, keep the faith.  That'd be great if San Antonio got a Club down there; Spurs in the winter, Soccer in the Summer.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

HatterDon

Two major concerns here, Steve:

1. The SA Spurs are also persuing a USL franchise for San Antonio. A clash between the two groups would pretty much guarantee NO franchise.

2. If MLS ever makes nice with USL, the NASL goes away completely -- also leaving us high and dry.

As for being positive, I remember attending a match at Alamo Stadium on a Saturday night in 75 or 76 where Ward Lay [yes, the Frito's guy] took the PA microphone at half time and said to ignore reports that the San Antonio Thunder [captained by Bobby Moore] franchise was in jeopardy. He said that as long as he was the owner, the Thunder would stay in San Antonio. We all cheered loudly. On Tuesday of the following week, the franchise was transferred to Hawaii.  :031:

Steve_orino

Well here's hoping that that guy fails, SA Spurs get their USL franchise, and W.Lay never steps foot in San-An-Tone ever again!

In the meantime, go FCD!
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

the problem you have,and all US football has, is the reforming of the world famous New York Cosmos-if your not an American this is the only game in town,this will be America's Man United-they have the glamour, they have the history, and they have Pele-that's game over as far as I'm concerned  :doh:

HatterDon

Better news on this front. The guy pushing our NASL franchise is local philanthropist Gordon Hartman. He has proposed to the city that he build the stadium on his own dime -- make it expandable from 12k to 30k, GIVE it to the city once the franchise is established, and use the income from the gate receipts, etc., to fund Morgan's World, a park he's created for kids with disabilities.

On the basis of this proposal, and of his long-term philanthropic endeavors, he's enlisted the help of one of San Antonio's billionaires, BJ (Red) McCombs. Yes this is the same guy who owned the Vikings for quite a while. When SA had a shot at the MLS franchise that, instead, became Chivas USA, McCombs helped hill the deal because he didn't see how being part-owner of an MLS franchise could bring him any profits. In business, the Red Man is all about the bottom line, but he's also a philanthropist and -- in that role -- he's all about doing the right thing. When we were taking part in the radiothon for SA's Elf Louise Christmas Project on Saturday, he was talking up the franchise. With both Hartman and McCombs pushing, I think we might just have that NASL gig in Spring 2012.

Like our friend, Ag, I have voted in the "name the franchise" competition for the name Alamo City FC.

Hatter "escaping Beamerland and going full-bore Blingo isit" Don   :045:

RidgeRider

Best of luck getting a franchise Hatter. I hope it comes off. SA is neat city who has proven they can support professional sports.

One day I hope we get the same here in Sacramento. At the youth level, it is a soccer mad town but who knows if we could support a MLS team but if SA can do it, I think we are about the same size. Who knows....maybe some day.

HatterDon

Quote from: RidgeRider on December 11, 2010, 03:56:38 PM
Best of luck getting a franchise Hatter. I hope it comes off. SA is neat city who has proven they can support professional sports.

One day I hope we get the same here in Sacramento. At the youth level, it is a soccer mad town but who knows if we could support a MLS team but if SA can do it, I think we are about the same size. Who knows....maybe some day.

Thanks, Jack. I'll keep everyone posted on this. San Antonio, however, is much larger than Sacramento. It's the nation's 8th largest city. But it's only about 33 in "metropolitan statistical area" ranking, which is why we only have one "major league" franchises, while cities like Oakland, Dallas, Denver, etc., which have less of a population, have multiple franchises.

HatterDon

Upon further review -- and lets hope we never hear that phrase in soccer -- San Antonio was #9 in population after the 2000 census. The 2007 "estimate" had moved us up to 7th. It'll be interesting to see where we lie after the 2010 census figures are published.

finnster01

Quote from: HatterDon on December 15, 2010, 03:29:38 PM
Upon further review -- and lets hope we never hear that phrase in soccer -- San Antonio was #9 in population after the 2000 census. The 2007 "estimate" had moved us up to 7th. It'll be interesting to see where we lie after the 2010 census figures are published.
Mr Hatter,
Are they running a Bug's Bunny Marathon every weekend down there? You guys are making rabbits blush...  :dft012:

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

HatterDon

well, Mr. Finn, there's feck-all else to do down this way  :drums:

RidgeRider

Quote from: HatterDon on December 15, 2010, 03:29:38 PM

Much bigger than I thought....wow. I was going based PURELY on my impressions of its size as I have driven into San Antonio a couple of times from Austin to spend the day. Downtown was quite small I thought but impressions are not always correct obviously. :)

I really liked it SA and thought it unique in a Texas way.

YankeeJim

Don, as a gesture of the season, we here in the city of Lost Angels will be happy to let Chivas move to your fair city.  :005:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

duffbeer

Well I wont shed one tear for San Antonio if they dont get a pro soccer team.  It's sour grapes ville here in Cleveland as we had a very nice and successful pro club in the City Stars and they were taken from us.  And Drew Carey says he still cares about Cleveland - bah, he's a traitor. 

HatterDon

Well, the San Antonio NASL franchise has been named. Unfortunately, my vote and Ag's vote for Alamo City FC didn't sway the powers that be from naming it San Antonio Scorpions FC. Yah, I'll learn to live with it. In addition to the corporate names I've mentioned before, our most beloved retired relilgious leader is supporting the new franchise as well as our former mayor and cabinet member [who also owns a huge Spanish-language TV network], and our very own Elf Louise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio_Scorpions_FC

The only potential fly in the ointment is the San Antonio Spurs, who haven't given up on their plans to get a USL-2 side into a highschool stadium with artificial grass. I can't believe that they see it as "good business" considering that the Scorpions franchise has pledged to use its gate receipts to help fund a theme park designed for special needs kids. There is no upside for them in going, "no no, pick us! Our franchise will be for profit and will be one step lower than the Scorpions."

All things being equal, I hope to be at opening day in the Spring of 2012. I'm gonna see if The Tim and Bob Show can do the national anthem at one of the matches.

CarolinaTim

Don, Good luck on getting your franchise. My Carolina RailHawks would relish a match with you "Texicans". You, Matt and I could have some friendly wagers for beer of course, and hopefully one day we'd all get promoted to MLS. Too bad the alarm clock always goes off when I have that "promotion dream."
Come On You Blawharmy!!!

Steve_orino

Fantastic News Don!  I saw this info on SB Nation and wanted to post it but you beat me to it.
@Borino09

duffbeer

It's not fair is all I can say.  We have the best soccer in the nation here in N. Ohio :012: :012: :012:

I miss the City Stars

Ag

The name thing is tough to swallow but I'll be a season ticket holder for sure.  Alamo City FC actually did get the most votes (I'm a marketing genius, I tells ya) but they took the top 10 selections and picked for themselves.  Someone else had the idea for Volunteers as the nickname had it been ACFC which I rather liked.  Again, oh well, but at least we're progressing in the right direction.  My only concern is that if the whole thing is not for profit, I don't see them growing it to one day get to MLS, despite that being their stated goal.

No idea what the Spurs group is thinking unless they believe the pecking order in the lower divisions will change again in a few years.  SA Scorpions have the better park, in the better location, in a better league.  The odd part is that we've gone from people thinking soccer won't work here at all to thinking we can support two minor league teams.

I look forward to matches against teams supported by other US Fulham supporters.  Sorry Mo, I understand your pain, but on the bright side you do have what's shaping up to be a college soccer dynasty in Akron.