News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Players need time to gel.... Exactly why they should have been bought in early.

Started by David I, August 18, 2018, 05:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJS

Quote from: hovewhite on August 20, 2018, 05:36:30 PM
People expect to much.Selling clubs sell players to suit them not suit the buying club,that's business!

:54:

Holders

Quote from: KJS on August 20, 2018, 09:17:16 PM
People expect to much.Selling clubs sell players to suit them not suit the buying club,that's business!

Many would have us believe it's just a matter of "swooping".
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Holders on August 21, 2018, 08:53:24 AM
Quote from: KJS on August 20, 2018, 09:17:16 PM

Many would have us believe it's just a matter of "swooping".
And, sometimes, the conditions of sale are extraordinary.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Roberty

Quote from: Statto on August 20, 2018, 07:05:14 PM
Quote from: Roberty on August 20, 2018, 05:49:27 PM
Maybe it would be more accurate to say SOME other clubs - because it certainly wasn't the case for all or probably even most of them

Not all, no, but most
MOST clubs started signing new players in June
MOST clubs made MOST of their signings in June and July, rather than August
MOST clubs didn't sign more than a couple of players in August

Are we absolutely the worst for lateness? No, that award probably goes to Everton in fairness. Palace, Burnley and Newcastle also did a high proportion of their business late on. But we were worse than most, and worse than average so for me, going back to the OP, there's a legitimate criticism there.

As I said, I accept it has to be balanced against the quality of signings, which was good. Anyway I think this debate has been milked now.

Just most in June - 11 of the 20 PL clubs brought or loaned players in June
Not true - June and July only 10 PL clubs brought or loaned more players than they did in August
Only 5 clubs didn't buy or loan anyone in August, 6 had two signings and 4 had three or more

The thing that we don't know id how many players turned down the opportunity of joining us or how many clubs refused to sell their players

In any event it could have been worse - in previous years, the transfer window was open until the end of the month and we've lost star players after the season had started 
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Statto

Quote from: Roberty on August 21, 2018, 03:24:58 PM
Not true - June and July only 10 PL clubs brought or loaned more players than they did in August

If there are 19 other clubs (exc Fulham) then 10 would be MOST of them.
But in any case it was more than 10 according to my numbers. I think I counted about 15.

Please list your 10. Then we can look at the approx 5 extra I have, and see who's correct.

Roberty

Quote from: Statto on August 21, 2018, 04:06:06 PM

But in any case it was more than 10 according to my numbers. I think I counted about 15.

Please list your 10. Then we can look at the approx 5 extra I have, and see who's correct.

Errrr - your clutching at straws - we're in the Premier League - in case you missed it, we won the play-off at Wembley
Your numbers always support your facts - so what 5 clubs do you have on your list?
Spurs didn't sign any and I agree that we signed more, so who are the 3 clubs out of 18 who signed less in June and July than is August?
I'll give you Everton and Burnley - so just one to find.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Statto

Quote from: Roberty on August 21, 2018, 06:27:29 PM
Quote from: Statto on August 21, 2018, 04:06:06 PM

Errrr - your clutching at straws - we're in the Premier League - in case you missed it, we won the play-off at Wembley
Your numbers always support your facts - so what 5 clubs do you have on your list?
Spurs didn't sign any and I agree that we signed more, so who are the 3 clubs out of 18 who signed less in June and July than is August?
I'll give you Everton and Burnley - so just one to find.

sorry mate you're totally contradicting yourself now, you seem to be agreeing with me after all

but just for the sake of clarity i made it 5 that signed more in august than in june/july, Fulham, Everton, Burnley, Newcastle and Palace

MikeW

Look at his posted name: 'Statto'.  Don't fight it.  Getting bored now.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

The Old Count

'Players need time to gel'"........ And they need time to hairspray and generaly groom.

Baszab

Schurrle only came up at the last minute - and he said FFC were the first to go in for him - does that mean he wasn't on he original scouted list ? Last minute addition ? Someone else dropped out ?
All seems a bit last minute panic doesn't it ?

KJS

Quote from: Baszab on August 21, 2018, 08:22:09 PM
Schurrle only came up at the last minute - and he said FFC were the first to go in for him - does that mean he wasn't on he original scouted list ? Last minute addition ? Someone else dropped out ?
All seems a bit last minute panic doesn't it ?

The club approached him in June but his club wouldn't agree to any deal until they arranged his replacement which took until August!

alfie

I had a discussion with Statto earlier that got a bit unnecessary, and to be honest it really does not matter because what happened happened, this thread could go on for pages and pages and it won't change a thing. So for me just going to go with what happens, whatever that entails.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't