watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Jimmy McIlroy

Started by bog, August 20, 2018, 01:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

I see Jimmy McIlroy has passed away aged 86. An inside forward Burnley's best ever player he still lived near Turf Moor. Played in the 1962 FA Cup semi v us. A true great. RIP Jimmy.     

RaySmith

Remember him well, cultured player -big star of that time, seen him a few times against Fulham, a very talented inside forward or attacking midfielder.

Thee were a several top players  in that Burnley team,  centre forward Ray Pointer, winger John Connolly, who I think scored against us in the semi-final, and I also saw score a hattrick at the Cottage, keeper Adam Blacklaw, who brought down Maurice Cook in that semi-final- a definite pen, not given.

RIP

Neil D

I suppose we will have an opportunity on Sunday to remember his contribution to football, alongside the Burnley fans.

bog

Quote from: RaySmith on August 20, 2018, 02:18:25 PM
Remember him well, cultured player -big star of that time, seen him a few times against Fulham, a very talented inside forward or attacking midfielder.

Thee were a several top players  in that Burnley team,  centre forward Ray Pointer, winger John Connolly, who I think scored against us in the semi-final, and I also saw score a hattrick at the Cottage, keeper Adam Blacklaw, who brought down Maurice Cook in that semi-final- a definite pen, not given.

RIP

We will never forget Mo Cook being brought down will we. That was a quality team. I think they were the first club to have a separate training ground. 

Fernhurst

Wonderful player and man.

Often compared with our own Maestro

RIP Jimmy
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Fernhurst

RIP

Told this story before, but it loses nothing in the re telling.

My brother was a personal friend of Maurice and he told him after the game Blacklaw apologised walking off the pitch with the words "had to do it mate"

Fernhurst

bog

Quote from: Fernhurst on August 20, 2018, 06:09:40 PM

RIP

My brother was a personal friend of Maurice and he told him after the game Blacklaw apologised walking off the pitch with the words "had to do it mate"

Emm.... :016:

The Old Count

RIP
'Cultured player' sums him up nicely. Very good player. RIP

Colton F.C.

Fulham1959

He was a key player at Stoke City in his later years.

bog

Quote from: Fernhurst on August 20, 2018, 06:09:40 PM

RIP

Morning Fernhurst, Mo always struck me as being a really down to earth chap.

092.gif   

Bracken White

Hadn't seen this but remember Jimmy McIlroy well - cultured inside forward & can see why he could be compared with Johnny Haynes. Very sad news, RIP.
Stay Fulhamish ~ stay unique

hovewhite

Saw him play a cultured player in his pomp.
R.i.P