watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (08/10/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 08, 2010, 07:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/1646/5/murphy-wants-panel-ex-players-rule-controversial-challenges?
Murphy wants panel of ex-players to rule on controversial challenges

Danny Murphy has called for a panel of ex-players to be introduced in a bid to help referees with controversial decisions.
The Fulham midfielder believes officials need more help in getting decisions right, and as well as introducing video technology he wants to see former players judge controversial incidents.

He said: "Every week we see incidents that we are talking about for days afterwards. It is not just bad tackles but diving and simulation. Why not have a board of ex-professionals who can sit on a Monday or Tuesday and judge them and nip it in the bud?

"Referees need help and there are plenty of ex-pros out there."

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/internationals/fulham-ace-handed-armband?
Fulham ace handed armband
Aaron Hughes has regained the Northern Ireland captain's armband

Northern Ireland manager Nigel Worthington has confirmed that Aaron Hughes will captain the side against Italy in their Euro 2012 qualifier at Windsor Park.

The Fulham defender stood down last month as Stephen Craigan led the side to a terrific 1-0 victory against Slovenia in Maribor on his 50th appearance for his country.

Worthington said: "Stephen borrowed it for the night and had a fantastic time overall. He fully deserved the honour. Now the armband will return to Aaron against Italy. That is accepted and expected."

Blackpool defender Craig Cathcart remains doubtful after suffering a back spasm in the victory against Liverpool.

"There is a question mark over his fitness," added Worthington.

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/wolverhampton-wanderers/6433305/Murphy-Managers-to-blame-for-foul-play?
Murphy: Managers to blame for foul play

Fulham captain Danny Murphy has pointed the finger of blame for the rash of dangerous tackles at the managers of Stoke, Wolves and Blackburn.

Bobby Zamora, the Fulham striker, suffered a broken leg in a challenge by Wolves' Karl Henry and the same player was fined two weeks' wages by his club after another savage tackle on Wigan's Jordi Gomez.

Murphy called some tackles "ridiculous" and "brainless" and said managers had to take responsibility.

Speaking at the Leaders in Football conference in London, Murphy said: "Your manager dictates what your players do and how you behave.

"You get managers who are sending their teams out to stop other teams playing, which is happening more and more - the Stokes, Blackburns, Wolves.

"They can say it's effective and they have got to win games but the fact is the managers are sending out their players so pumped up there is inevitably going to be problems.

"Every ship has a captain and that's the manager who is in charge."

Murphy said there should be tougher sanctions for dangerous tackles - especially for repeat offenders.

He added: "The pace in which some players go into tackles now is ridiculous. There's no brains involved in the players who are doing that.

"I don't believe players are going out to break another player's leg but there has to be some logic and intelligence involved.

"If you are going at someone at a certain pace and you don't get it right you are going to hurt them.

"Players should be culpable for that, in terms of punishment I don't know what - but they need to show a little bit more intelligence, especially the ones who are doing it repeatedly."

Fulham always topped the Fair Play league during Roy Hodgson's time as manager - something that was no coincidence, said Murphy.

"If you have a manager like Roy Hodgson in charge you don't get discipline problems," he said.

"If you have a manager that's in control of the team and doesn't allow these type of things to go on then you are going to have a more disciplined team.

"I'm not saying tackling is a bad thing but we want to watch the best players on the pitch.

"Under Roy Hodgson at Fulham we were always top of the Fair Play league because he wouldn't accept talking back to the referee and he wouldn't accept stupid tackles."

However, Everton skipper Phil Neville insisted tackling was much harder at the start of his career than now.

"Ten or 15 years ago when I was faced with a tricky left winger the first thing I had to do was boot him up in the air," said Neville.

"I don't think we tackle as hard as we used to. Tackling is part of the game, we just need to outlaw the two-footed challenge that has crept into the game."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=216158
Fulham - Schwarzer Grabs Award!
His future may well be up in the air but Mark Schwarzer has picked up a deserved accolade.

Our veteran Australian keeper has been named as the Australian Player of the 2010 at an awards dinner in Sydney.

Schwarzer held off stiff competition from Tim Cahill, of Everton, to win by seven votes with our keeper polling 392 votes.

Our congratulations go to Mark!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=216158#ixzz11kOSa2Ko

WhiteJC

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2010/10/the_worlds_favourite_football.php?
The World's Favourite Football Club

OK, I have borrowed from an old BA advertising slogan for my strap line and I might be exaggerating things a touch, but to our international members, we salute you!
It was Blackpool in August when I became aware just how active our international fan clubs now are. Seeing the FFC Sweden contingent I got into conversation with president and founder Kenneth Bylund and his son Niclas at half-time. Sadly at the final whistle I failed to locate the young lady sporting a Team USA shirt in honour of Clint.

Running the blog this season has been something of an eye-opener for me when it comes to those who follow FFC from afar. It does make you question your own commitment when you meet people who are giving up their weekends and spending hundreds of pounds to fly in and feed their fetish for Fulham.

Nic in Sweden makes the point, mirrored by my own mailbag since July. "We do seem to have a huge following in the USA. Over half of unique visitors to the web site (Hammy End.com) which I help run are from the US or Down Under." Nic boasts 60 active members and knows that we are for many Swedes their 2nd favourite club. There's a Stockholm pub where they all meet to take in the TV games, while Nic's job in the travel industry means he gets over a few times a year to see the Whites in action. "I'll be in London for the World Travel Market in November and hope to take in the games with Villa and Chelsea. Over the years I've been to Motspur Park many times and been lucky enough to meet a lot of players, the managers and people behind the scenes. I'm also a bit of a ground hopper and you could say I do like coming to England. I consider myself an Anglophile and we put a lot of energy into content on our Hammy End site. At the start it was all being done in Swedish as well as English but that was too much work."

Closely linked to Nic are the FFC Sweden brigade, where Mattias Berg and his crew are also regulars at O'Connell's pub along Stockholm's Gamla Stan whenever the Whites feature on the box. Now in the past two months alone we've added official fan clubs in Norway, Finland and Holland! This club is really on the march.

So with our long time buddies Fulham USA finally getting their brand new site up and running I felt this was a good juncture to welcome all of the above into football's friendliest family. Just for your information, and for those from other lands who would also like to march behind Michiel Hageman's monster new flag (how's it coming along Michiel?), here are the rewards for getting aboard. It's well worth signing up.

The club officially recognises all overseas fan clubs with a minimum register of 10 paid members and enrolls them into the following programme: Ticketing priority, ticket discounts and an exclusive members' pack:

Official status awarded with Certification of Affiliation and details on official club website
Signed Kit plus Monthly Prize Draw

This blog is here for you guys. Do let me know when you're coming over to games or if you need any advice on travel, hotels, pubs and things to do around the game. Let us know what you're up to, why Fulham, and how it is for you in your own countries showing allegiance to Fulham FC. On a personal note, I'd like to hear from any Whites fans along Florida's Space Coast - I fancy a little winter condo one day in Brevard County...

In the meantime, if you wanna get all 'international' and exchange greetings, here's the list:
www.fulhamusa.com (rebuilding database having lost old data so get signed in yanks)
FFC Sweden and Nic Bylund welcome new members at www.FFCSweden.se
Michiel Hageman's Dutch group FFC web site http://cc.fulhamfc.com/profile/MichielHageman
Eric Bilet is behind our Norwegian followers on http://cc.fulhamfc.com/group/fscn
The Finns officially joined Oct 6th! Contact here http://cc.fulhamfc.com/group/fulhamfinland

I believe a Canadian group is pending, and let's also not forget the Fulham Exiles. Look forward to hearing from all of you and hope you get plenty to cheer this season!

COYW Fans...wherever you are. Follow me on Twitter @fulhamphil

WhiteJC

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2010/10/07/danny-murphy-'glad-that-liverpool's-ownership-turmoil-seems-to-be-over-pity-that-fernando-torres-has-no-back-up-managers-should-take-responsibility-for-bad-tackles'-071008/?
Danny Murphy: 'Glad that Liverpool's ownership turmoil seems to be over; pity that Fernando Torres has no back-up; managers should take responsibility for bad tackles'

Former Liverpool midfielder Danny Murphy today revealed his delight at the probability of his old club moving towards new ownership.

"The club is going through turmoil, but it looks like the situation will be sorted soon. Liverpool being a force makes the Premier League better".

Fulham captain Murphy played under Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson last season for the London club and he believes Hodgson is still the right man for the job, despite the club currently languishing in a relegation spot.

"I would never have thought Roy would have suffered that much of a problem at Liverpool and I am not sure why he has. Roy is the right man for the job though, but Torres currently has no back-up and is struggling for goals.

"The boardroom situation is usually an excuse, but I'm sure the Liverpool players are not using that. They [the players] don't have an ideal platform and haven't won trophies for several years," he said.

Murphy also believes Hodgson is suffering as a consequence of the changes former Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez made at the club.

"There was an influx of Spanish and foreign players and staff and that took away from what Liverpool was all about. It has been going on for years.

"The ownership issues and the bad start to the season have simply highlighted these problems. There are a lot of factors in the demise of the club – but they are not going to be the new Leeds. I don't believe that for one second."

Over at ESPN, Murphy also explains how managers should take responsibility for players' bad tackles.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1318677/Dejan-Stefanovic-retirement-join-Havant-Waterlooville-player-coach.html?
Dejan Stefanovic out of retirement to join Havant and Waterlooville as player-coach

Former Portsmouth and Fulham defender Dejan Stefanovic has come out of retirement to join Blue Square South side Havant and Waterlooville as player-coach.

The ex-Serbian international, who turns 36 this month, has not played since suffering a serious knee injury in November 2008.

Stefanovic said: 'I have missed playing and Havant are a good club for me to start my coaching career.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1318677/Dejan-Stefanovic-retirement-join-Havant-Waterlooville-player-coach.html?#ixzz11kPaPZuN

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/10/07/erm-west-ham-1-1-fulham/?
Erm. West Ham 1-1 Fulham
Filed under: Match reports — rich
You knew that obviously.

I mentioned a possible shortage of report writing this season and Jamie Doak's come through for us (not to be confused with the usual Jamie, who is still around but wasn't able to do this one either;  I am building an army of report-writing Jamies).

Anyway, here goes.  Cheers, Jamie.

West Ham have been a bit of a bogey side for us recently but right from kick off I felt confident that we'd take home a point. Had it not been for a single defensive lapse we could easily have had all three.

Perhaps inevitably both teams struggled for a creative edge, Fulham missing Dembele and Zamora and West Ham seeming to lack quality altogether.  For 20 minutes the ball moved around the middle of the park a lot, Fulham having the better of the exchanges with Etuhu again revelling in his new role and Salcido making some bombing runs down the left (he looks very good, I would go as far as to say better than Konchesky). A Piquionne header cleared by Salcido, which was sailing wide anyway, was the only threat West Ham showed and it wasn't long before we took the lead.  We had a bit of luck in the build up with Davies ball deflecting over the West Ham defence and into the path of Dempsey, from then on though it was pure genius as Dempsey took the ball into his stride and nonchalantly flicked it past Rob Green.  1-0 up at half time away from home, that's twice already this year, a sign of the difference Mark Hughes has made.

Fulham started second half like a house on fire and Dempsey sent a rocket onto the top of Rob Green's crossbar.  But in a matter of minutes they were level, Hangeland with a misplaced ball and then poor marking in the middle gave Piquionne a simple header into our net.

We had the better of the game for the remaining 35 minutes. Etuhu threatened twice with  headers, one expertly stopped by Green which maybe Etuhu should have done better with. Etuhu's finishing isn't exactly his strong point but his runs are excellent and dangerous. Davies nearly caught Green out with a low fizzing shot too, this one parried away.

Gera replaced Duff and not Johnson to the surprise of everyone. Unsurprisingly, many were critical of Johnson's performance but I thought he did okay in a difficult role, he allowed Dempsey to play a little deeper which is where he is most dangerous and the two seem to link well as a partnership. By now the game was dying out but Kamara, on for Johnson, had a late chance to win it: set free through the middle by Dempsey he blazed over the crossbar.  He really should have done better.

We are still unbeaten and we look much better away from home but maybe, just like at Blackpool, we've missed a good opportunity for all 3 points.

WhiteJC

http://liverpool.theoffside.com/team-news/danny-murphy-is-a-bitter-man.html?
Danny Murphy is a Bitter Man

If Liverpool, following the lead of Roy Hodgson and to the cheers of the London media, has been moving away from cries of "We're not English, we are Scouse" and towards a leadership roll at the forefront of the England First/Bring Back '66 brigade, it seems that Danny Murphy would very much like a seat at the table. Maybe in January, even, if something can be worked out.

Seems that beyond being a big Hodgson supporter (at least when he's not taking the time to point out how much more adventurous Fulham has been under new boss Hughes), it never sat well with Murphy that he got pushed out of the Liverpool midfield by a vastly superior player. After all, Murphy was English, so by God he didn't deserve that sort of treatment at the hands of some dirty continental type. And a Spaniard no less! Probably all because the coach was Spanish, too. That would explain things.

Or at least it would seem to, going by Murphy's latest comments where he's once again sticking his nose into Liverpool business:

"There was an influx of Spanish and foreign players and staff and that took away from what Liverpool was all about. It has been going on for years."

Come off it, Danny, I don't think you'll find even the most ardent Rafa-basher who thinks he didn't give everything he had for the club. Still, perhaps it's too much to blame it on xenophobia when it could just be down to the bitterness of a player not good enough for a side looking to take a real run at the league. Whatever the case, I reckon that if you polled supporters on which current player most represented the spirit of the club the name most mentioned wouldn't be of a local born lad, and in fact might be of somebody who doesn't wear red when he runs out with the rest of the squad. And is Spanish. Ah well, you know what, Danny–and this is also regardless of why you said what you said–I'd have Alonso back before you in a heartbeat.

But hey, maybe he–and the rest of the English tabloid establishment–is right. Who needs famous European nights and the terraces of Rome and pass and move football and club over country when you can embrace the best of England's past national glory as a hoof-and-hope mid-table outfit. Just have to ship out Agger and Lucas in January, maybe Torres in the summer, bring in Hesky and maybe that solid English lad Danny Murphy and we'll be where we all want to be in no time–HOOF!

Now look, Danny boy, I don't want to sound as bitter as you obviously are, but at the risk of doing just that: go do one. I for one will be thrilled if you aren't in red at the end of January.

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8049497/Danny-Murphy-blasts-brainless-tacklers-and-accuses-managers-of-inciting-their-players.html?
Danny Murphy blasts 'brainless' tacklers and accuses managers of inciting their players
Danny Murphy, the Fulham captain, has launched a fierce attack on some of the "brainless" tackling in the Premier League and accused Tony Pulis, Sam Allardyce and Mick McCarthy of effectively inciting their own players.

Red mist: Karl Henry was sent off for this challenge on Wigan's Jordi Gomez Photo: PA

"The pace some of the players are going into tackles at is ridiculous," said Murphy. "There are no brains in the players doing that. I don't believe they are going out to break the legs of their opponents but there's no logic or intelligence in what they are doing.

"If you're going in at a certain pace and don't get it right you are going to hurt someone. Players need to be more intelligent, especially the ones who are doing it repeatedly. They are culpable in that."

Muprhy believes that the influence of the club managers is being underestimated in the current debate and he particularly highlighted the style of Stoke City, Blackburn Rovers and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

"You get managers sending teams out to stop other sides from playing, which is happening more and more," he said.

"Stoke, Blackburn and Wolves — you can say they're doing what they can to win the game — but the fact is that the managers are sending the players out so pumped up that inevitably there are going to be problems.

"The thing I think people miss is that it's the managers who dictate what the players do and how they behave. If you have a manager in control of his team, who doesn't allow these things to go on you have a more disciplined team.

"Fulham under Roy Hodgson were top of the Fair Play League because he wouldn't accept talking back to the referee or stupid tackles. You can look at the players and blame them. But every team has a captain and a manager who is in charge."

Fulham have lost Bobby Zamora this season to a broken leg following a challenge by Wolves' Karl Henry, while Moussa Dembele has not played following a widely condemned tackle from Stoke's Andy Wilkinson.

Fulham were also unhappy with a challenge from Blackburn's El-Hadj Diouf on Mark Schwarzer earlier this season. Murphy, who speaking at the Leaders in Football conference, believes that there is now a strong argument for retrospective disciplinary action.

"Referees can't get it always right," he said. "If there was a board of ex-professionals, who know what was a bad tackle or whether a decision was right or wrong then the people who deserve to get punished will get punished."

Dr Michel D'Hooghe, a member of Fifa's executive committee, also offered his support to Holland coach Bert van Marwijk for dropping Manchester City midfielder Nigel de Jong over his leg-breaking tackle on Hatem Ben Arfa.

"I have made a compilation of brutality over the last two or three years in the main competitions in the world and it is amazing," said D'Hooghe.

"On the one hand I am happy that some leaders take responsibility - on the other hand I am very sad that he [Van Marwijk] did not do the same at the final of the World Cup."

WhiteJC

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/1640/1/liverpool-rival-fulham-german-strike-ace
Liverpool to rival Fulham for German strike ace

Liverpool have joined the race to sign Bayer Leverkusen striker Stefan Kiessling.

talkSPORT revealed earlier this week that Fulham were in the hunt for the 26-year-old but now the player's agent has revealed that the Merseyside club are also trying to land the forwards signature, as well as a host of other top European clubs.

Speaking in German newspaper Bild, the player's representative, Ali Bulut, said: "Milan, Liverpool, Schalke 04 and Rubin Kazan have asked for the player in the recent weeks.

"There are no formal offers at the moment. Depending on what Bayer say he could be sold in January."

White Noise

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/1661/5/fulham-eyeing-move-swedish-defender

Fulham eyeing move for Swedish defender

By Wally Downes

Friday, October 8

Fulham are tracking Sweden defender Behrang Safari according to reports in Switzerland.

The 25-year-old is currently playing for Basel in Switzerland's top division where Mark Hughes has sent his scouts to watch the player, as have Italian side Sampdoria.

Safari is currently on international duty with Denmark and is contracted to his current club until June 2011.

But the Iranian-born left-back could be on the move in January if his £2.5m valuation is met.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6434236,00.html?
Mills hits out at Murphy
Former player feels Cottagers midfielder wrong to point finger

Former England international Danny Mills believes Danny Murphy was wrong to single out managers and clubs when being critical of some 'ridiculous' challenges this season.

Fulham playmaker Murphy claimed managers should accept a share of the blame for their players' overzealous challenges and claimed that some are now making 'brainless' tackles.

A debate has sparked into life this season with the likes of Hatem Ben Arfa, Bobby Zamoraand Adlene Guedioura all suffering broken legs already this term.

Mills, who was known for his no-nonsense approach to defending during his playing days, agrees with Muphy's comments to a degree, but felt he crossed the line is naming Wolves, Stoke and Blackburn as the offending clubs.

Wolves' Karl Henry has hit the headlines recently for his reckless challenge on Wigan's Jordi Gomez, while Manchester City's Nigel de Jong has come under fire for his robust tackle on Ben Arfa - a clash Mills insists was unfortunate.

Too specific

"I think (Murphy's) got a point to some degree," he told Sky Sports News Radio. "I think he's maybe taken it a little too far, been a bit too specific in naming clubs and blaming the managers for that.

"The game now is played at such a pace. The players are super athletes no matter what you think. Every player in the Premier League and Championship are incredibly strong and incredibly quick. Mistimed tackles by a fraction of a second can be dangerous.

"I think he's wrong in the fact he's blaming managers. Managers do not send their players out to injure people.

"Yes they send them out to make tackles, but when you've haven't got the ability of some of the top clubs you have to find a different way to win.

"If that means putting pressure on people, getting up close, putting tackles in then that's fine. You can't condone the horror tackles. They should be outlawed.

Very unfortunate
"Unfortunately for me the tackles that have caused serious injury so far this season have been relatively innocuous. Bobby Zamora was very, very unfortunate. Karl Henry's tackle was just a trip. Unfortunately Karl Henry has made some horrendous tackles this season.

"Also with Nigel de Jong. It's a similar situation. Nigel is a very, very good player. He's known for some tough tackling. Unfortunately the tackle he made on Ben Arfa is one of those things that happens.

"He's gone in strongly. He's gone for the ball with his left leg, but it's his trailing leg that is actually bent as he does not want to go in with a two-footed tackle that catches him and it's the sheer weight of his body and the power and that pace that he's put into the tackle.

"I think Danny Murphy has a point. We don't want brainless tackles and people getting injured, but I think to blame the managers and pick on certain teams is just a little bit too far."

WhiteJC

http://threeandin.com/2010/10/08/danny-murphy-joins-the-good-fight/?
Danny Murphy joins the good fight
POSTED BY HOGGER

First Bert Van Marwijk, now Danny Murphy. Men who've been prepared to speak about against a growing trend for aggressive, mindless tackling. The difference is that Marwijk makes his comments from the safety of the sidelines. Murphy is very much still in the firing line for the teams he has criticised.

He hasn't pulled any punches, however:

"The thing I think people miss, is that it's the managers who dictate what the players do and how they behave.
Look at Stoke, Blackburn and Wolves. You can look at the players and blame them. You can say they're doing what they can to win the game but the fact is that the managers are sending the players out so pumped up that inevitably there are going to be problems. But every team has a captain and a manager who is in charge."

The implication is clear. The finger of blame is pointed squarely at messrs Allardyce, Pulis, and McCarthy.  And Murphy, as a Fulham player, can talk about this from a position of authority: under Roy Hodgson, that team regularly topped the Fair Play League.  They've had big, physical players – Brede Hangeland, Dickson Etuhu, Bobby Zamora – but never felt the need to turn that to their advantage by breaking either the rules of the legs of opponents.  Having watched team-mate Zamora have his leg twisted under the challenge of Karl Henry, Murphy's patience has reached the end of its tether.

The key thing here is that this isn't Johnny Foreigner moaning about a good old-fashioned English challenge.  When Arsene Wenger says there is an issue with physicality in the game, his claims are dismissed as an attempt to protect his diminutive team.  This, however, is an elder statesman of the Premier League, a native no less, who has plied his trade at this level for more than a decade.  He's seen the game develop from the heat of the battle, in the heart of midfield, and now he feels it's time to act.  He's not a recent import, shocked by the pace of the game.  He's a weathered veteran, who played against the likes of David Batty and Roy Keane.  And yet it is now he feels tackling has got out of hand, and everyone within the game has a responsibility to do something about it.

Every time a manager defends a player who has committed a bad challenge, they exacerbate this problem.  Now that they've been essentially 'outed' by  Murphy, hopefully the media will pressure the implicated bosses to condemn their players when their tackling becomes dangerous.  If not, then Murphy might find himself a target for their 'tackles'.

WhiteJC

http://www.crewealex.net/page/NewsDetail/0,,10414~2178645,00.html?
Dario On Murphy's Tackle Comments

Dario Gradi has told the club's official web-site that he agrees with some of the comments made by his former pupil Danny Murphy. The Fulham midfielder has spoken out about the severity of tackles in the modern game and caused a bit of controversy after naming names.

Murphy, who also represented England 9 times during a successful playing career, also spoke highly of the philosophy of his former managers Roy Hodgson and Dario and the need for discipline. The Alex boss also agreed with Murphy's opinion that the attitude of players can be dictated too by the manager in the dressing room.

The Alex boss told the club's official web-site: "Danny has played at the top level for many years and he has a right to an opinion. Perhaps he should not have named names and I wouldn't agree with the names he did mention but if he is saying that managers can influence the discipline of the players then he is absolutely right.

"We don't try and win the Fair Play award for the sake of winning it and I'm sure Roy (Hodgson) is the same. I just want my players to stay on the pitch because you have more chance of winning with 11 men or not having to cope with your best players being suspended.

"When managers go on about injuries and suspensions costing them at the end of the season then they only have themselves to blame. We try and avoid unnecessary bookings because it can lead to a suspension.

"That is the one club rule we have here. A player is fined if they receive an avoidable booking. I decide if it is avoidable or not.

"Supporters say to me, have you got them up Dario and I always say 'no, I hope not'. I want my players to remain calm because you cannot play controlled football if you are hot-headed."

Dario and Danny Murphy also understand the need to avoid serious injury by not flying into unnecessary challenges.

Dario said: "I don't particularly like sliding tackles because the player can get hurt. I remember Nicky Maynard breaking his own leg when sliding into a tackle on the half-way line. We lost our top scorer for half a season because of that.

"Bob Scott used to win tackles on the half way line and I used to say to him. You have gone to ground and conceded a throw-in. Is it worth risking your limbs fand injury or that?"

WhiteJC

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2010/10/08/danny-murphy-joins-wolves-dirty-row/?
Wolves quiet on Danny Murphy claim

Wolves have refused to respond to Danny Murphy's claims after being accused of being too 'pumped up' as the row over their 'dirty' tag rumbled on.

Fulham captain Murphy believes the approach of Wolves, Blackburn and Stoke is to 'stop other teams playing' and means their players are more likely to make controversial challenges.

Wolves are again under the spotlight after Karl Henry was sent off for a reckless lunge on Wigan's Jordi Gomez last Saturday.

But the club were keen not to seen to go 'tit-for-tat' and add fuel to the fire in the row over them being 'dirty.'

After speaking to the two other clubs identified by Murphy, they took the view with Blackburn and Stoke that it would be wrong to respond.

Murphy, speaking at the Leaders in Football conference, said: "You get managers sending their teams out to stop other sides playing, which is happening more and more – the Stokes, Blackburns, Wolves.

"If you have a manager in control of the team who doesn't allow these type of things, you're going to have a more disciplined team.

"They can say it's effective and they've got to win games but the fact is their players are so pumped up, there's inevitably going to be problems.

"Under Roy Hodgson at Fulham, we were always top of the Fair Play award because he wouldn't accept stupid tackles."

Murphy's comments follow Fulham's unfortunate experiences against the three clubs.

Bobby Zamora broke his leg following an innocuous challenge with Henry, while striker Moussa Dembele has been sidelined following his collision with Stoke's Andy Wilkinson.

Fulham also conceded a goal against Blackburn after El Hadji Diouf's elbow-led obstruction of goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer.

He said: "I don't believe players are going out to break another player's leg, but there has to be some logic and intelligence involved."

Ironically, Murphy defended Henry after the unfortunate injury to Zamora and was praised by boss Mick McCarthy.

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2010/10/08/danny-murphy-joins-wolves-dirty-row/?#ixzz11lozP4M7

WhiteJC

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/former-boss-jumps-to-murphys-defence-1105467.html?
Former boss jumps to Murphy's defence

Fulham midfielder Danny Murphy's recent comments regarding tough tackling have been defended by Crewe boss Dario Gradi.
Murphy revealed he thinks certain managers do not do enough to prevent their players from making dangerous challenges in the Premier League.

"The fact is the managers are sending out their players so pumped up there are inevitably going to be problems (in games)," said the Fulham captain.

"Your manager dictates what your players do and how you behave."

He added: "Every ship has a captain and that's the manager who is in charge,

"You get managers who are sending their teams out to stop other teams playing, which is happening more and more - the Stokes, Blackburns, Wolves."

Murphy's comments have seen him come in for criticism but Gradi, who managed Murphy during his time with Crewe, has offered his support to the 33-year-old, although he feels the midfielder should not have gone as far as to name specific clubs.

Gradi told Crewe's official website: "Danny has played at the top level for many years and he has a right to an opinion. Perhaps he should not have named names and I wouldn't agree with the names he did mention but if he is saying that managers can influence the discipline of the players then he is absolutely right."

WhiteJC

http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/2010/10/08/fulham-captain-danny-murphy-accuses-wolves-in-dirty-play-row/?
Fulham captain Danny Murphy accuses Wolves in dirty play row

Wolves were today accused of being too 'pumped up' as the row over their 'dirty' tag rumbled on.

Fulham captain Danny Murphy believes the approach of Wolves, Blackburn and Stoke means their players are more likely to make controversial challenges.

Wolves are again under the spotlight after Karl Henry was sent off for a reckless lunge on Wigan's Jordi Gomez last Saturday.

"You get managers sending their teams out to stop other sides playing, which is happening more and more – the Stokes, Blackburns, Wolves," said Murphy.

"If you have a manager in control of the team and doesn't allow these type of things, you're going to have a more disciplined team.

"They can say it's effective and they've got to win games but the fact is their players are so pumped up, there's inevitably going to be problems.

Murphy's comments follow Fulham's unfortunate experiences against the three clubs, including Bobby Zamora broke his leg following an innocuous challenge with Henry.

Wolves were considering a response to the criticism.

Read more: http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/2010/10/08/fulham-captain-danny-murphy-accuses-wolves-in-dirty-play-row/?#ixzz11lxB1Gwk

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/October/SpursSeatwave.aspx?
Spurs Seatwave

Seatwave Fulham Ticket Exchange Now Open

With Fulham v Spurs now approaching sell out, Seatwave, Fulham's Official Ticket Exchange, is now open for this game. If you're a Season Ticket Holder and can't attend this match, you can sell your ticket via Seatwave to another Fulham Season Ticket Holder or Member and you'll even get some money back!

For those short of a match ticket, the exchange will give Fulham Members & Season Ticket Holders the opportunity to get hold of genuine match tickets safely and securely.

Using the Fulham FC Ticket Exchange couldn't be easier:

Log on at www.seatwave.com/fulhamfc and activate your Fulham FC account. You will need your client reference number then simply follow the prompts.
Select the Spurs match and list your ticket for sale.
Fulham FC Season Ticket Holders and Members can browse the site for your available tickets.
If your ticket sells, your season ticket for that match will be deactivated and the buyer will be sent a paper ticket (there's no need to hand over your card).
You will be reimbursed for your ticket directly into your bank account. (Your season ticket cost divided by 19, less a 10% + VAT seller's service charge). If your ticket does not sell you will be notified before the fixture.

For more information on the exchange please visit

http://www.seatwave.com/fulhamfc/ticket-exchange/FAQ

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/October/SpursSeatwave.aspx?#ixzz11lxRB5Ht