News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Etiquette when seated in opposing fan's end.

Started by bugsy, August 28, 2018, 09:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinnieffc

Quote from: Vinnieffc on August 28, 2018, 10:05:20 AM
I would respect the home fans by not being there.  Otherwise it's coat and mouth buttoned for the duration.

As I  said.  We don't like away fans in our end. Disrespectful to do  otherwise. No advice other than it's just bloody plain wrong. End of.

RaySmith

The late Peter Cook, of Pete and Dud fame, was a Spurs fan, and also an alcoholic, and probably  quite arrogant.

Anyway, he stood with a mate in a notorious home end at Old Trafford when Spurs were there, wearing his Spurs scarf, and drunkenly shouting for Spurs.

At the end of the match, he and his mate got a good kicking. He lost his front teeth, and his mate was more seriously hurt.

BarneyTravers

Done it at Chelsea in the East Stand and the benches and
celebrated modestly...stood on the half way line at the Old Den nearly 4 decades ago and was very quiet...almost mute like.

coyw

sarnian

Try and show no emotion however difficult. Last game of season at Portsmouth when we had to win to avoid relegation ticket office mucked up and in the end borrowed a mates spare Portsmouth season ticket. When Murphy scored I was half up to celebrate,realised where I was and managed to stop myself.

Woolly Mammoth

I sat at the home end at Anfield when we drew 0 0.
Also at White Hart Lane when we lost 1 0.
As well as London Road Peterborough when we won 2 1 I think the score was.
But in all three for some unknown reason, and I did not particularly enjoy it.
I found it quite easy to keep my powder dry and not give away my identity. I surprised myself in all three.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

I was in a home end at West Ham in a Second Division game, which we unexpectedly won.

I couldn't contain myself when we went in front, and the police told me I had to leave or they would have to take me into protective custody. I didn't have any choice- I left.

Lewes White

In the home section ar the Amex too, right next to our fans, know quite a few others in home sections as well. They maybe looking out for away fans in home sections, it happens quite a lot at Brighton so best keep a low profile, though may e hard ask...!!!

nose returns

i sat with arsenal supporters at the emirates, we lost 3 1 but did equalise.... it was hard work keeping quiet but did it. the people around me were quite the most moronic bunch of foul mouthed bigots I have had to endure, and these were very good and not at all cheap seats, since gillingham all those horrible years ago. so advice is supporters nowadays do not tolerate opposition supporters in their midst, so take care and tell us on sunday how you stayed calm after we won 4 1!

RaySmith

Bit of a weird, to me, discussion on 5 Live today.

The presenter, Nihal, was saying about taking his 10 years old son to Old Trafford, as a Spurs fan the other day,

They were in the Spurs end, but a fellow Spurs fan behind was using language that Nihal found offensive, which wasn't racist or homophobic,  but  obscenities, because he was with his son. 'What should I have done about it?' he asked.

All I could think was 'surely fans should be allowed to swear at a football match, as they have done since I  first began going as a ten year old myself'- to Palace with my mum and dad, then to Fulham with my dad, and then on my own or with mates.

Swearing was just something I was used to hearing at school and in the street, and, particularly at a football game - where it was accepted that you  could be emotional and give vent to your feelings, in way that you wouldn't normally do, though I didn't use such language myself, and my dad didn't swear at home.

Nihal's  son will surely  hear worse at school, if he hasn't  already, anyway.

Ok, so this bloke was being particularly coarse, but where  do you stop if you start  stopping people from swearing at a football match, just because you are with your young son? leave your son at home if it bothers you, some would say.

HamsterWheel

I take my 8 year old to Fulham. He knows that people swear, and knows he can't. But when we sing "Stick your blue flag up your ***" he happily sings along but replaces the last word with bum.
My wife swears like a trooper when watching football, but does it in Greek so that's ok.... "Malaka" is her favourite, meaning an onanist.

SuffolkWhite

I can remember having to be in  the Putney end in an F.A Cup tie against Watford back in the day, I took a mate who was trying to get into football but did not understand the terrace rules (like not celebrating when surrounded by Watford supporters). Well we scored and he celebrated, the next minute we are getting threats and things thrown at us, we made a quick escape to the Eric Miller Stand and got let threw a gate to the Hammersmith end by steward after explaining we were going to get our heads kicked in.

He never came to another game.

The other Away End experience was at Kettering in the Cup again, couldn't get tickets for our section but knew a Kettering ST holder and he got my son and I in. Well we won that game (luckily in my opinion) and by the end of it we had been sussed out, but we never celebrated once. The only way we got sussed was because my Kettering mate kept turning round and smiling at us when they scored!!! Any way the worst comment we got was "Lucky Bar stewards", and we spoke with their fans on the way stating how crap we had been and how unlucky they were.

But it is hard to keep your mouth shut, but you do need to!!!

Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Dodgin

Sat with Qpr supporters at Loftus Road a couple of seasons ago, steward told me to take my woolly Fulham hat off, just in case. Reasonable supporters around me, one wondered why my hat was on inside out.

NorfolkJim

Does anyone remember the night (I think it was a Tuesday night) we won 1-0 at Hulls Boothferry park? There was about 40 of us there and well before the end the police had to smuggle us all out around the back of the home stand to put us on a train at Boothferry park station and get us away before the game ended. I think Hull was going down with that defeat but the memory isn't what it once was.

bugsy

As recommended, kept a low and respectful profile. Brighton fans around me guessed early on and were fine. Showed no response to Schurrle goal but screamed, head down, into a clenched fist for Mitrovic goal.  Excellent stadium the AMEX. Can't tell you how good the Fulham fans were in away section. They were fantastic all game, creating all the noise.
On reflection, I wouldn't do it again. I agree with VinnieFFC. I think it is disrespectful to the home fans. Plus it's not enjoyable to watch Fuham having to keep all emotion in check.

ffcne

I had seats in there 1901 Club with my son through
a company who do some work for me.
I find it very hard to not show my emotions .
And i do find it disrespectful  to home fans to show your hand.
So tried so hard and really expected them to score the penalty.
But the save just sent something to my brain and let out a big YES.
A few gave me the glare and some commented so apologised but was
never going to redeem myself . But stayed stony silent for the duration,
But i suppose they had the last laugh.

ToodlesMcToot

It's possible that I'll be in England early next year and may have the opportunity to extend the trip over a weekend. So, there is the possibility that my trip coincides with an away match. I doubt very much I'd purchase a ticket in any supporter section that isn't associated with Fulham ( I am not putting myself in a situation where I can't cheer on The Mighty Whites in some way). So, would be looking for an extra via a Fulham supporter or buying a ticket from a ticket reseller in the sideline stands.

having explained all that, are there any unwritten rules for visiting supporters sitting in the stands down the sidelines?
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Iaindw1

lots of excuses now to why you are cheering.

He is in my fantasy team on triple captain points.

he was in my bet265 to score any time and won £500 pounds.