Previous topic - Next topic

Should The Clappers Return?

Yes
No
Maybe
Yes - but sparingly
Over my dead body

White Noise

Have we seen the last of the 'Fulham Clappers' and, if so, is that a good thing?

Were they a 'neccessary evil' when we were fighting off relegation and wanted a bit of atmosphere but have no place now?

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2008/March/WearYourColours.aspx

Were they just something valued by our last sponsors and not to be repeated?

Would you like to see them back - even if used tactically and sparingly?

duffbeer

The only time I have been to the Cottage was for the Sunderland match during the great escape, actually right before the great escape might be more accurate.   As you may recall, that match was probably the lowest point of that fabled season.  All the hope and anticipation  I felt when I booked the plane tickets in the fall and arranged to purchase match tickets through American Mike was pretty well snuffed out by Roy Keane's side that day.  

It was a bummer to say the least.  Before the match I had met some season ticket holders in the pub that were so nervous they couldnt even talk.  Afterwards I thought about them and truly felt gutted for them.  I was okay however.  I had still had a pretty memorable day.  I saw the cottage; watched McBride, Boca, and Keller play live in England; met and chatted with American Mike, Katy, her family, and lots of FulhamUSA supporters that I knew from the site.  

I also walked away with about five of those clappers.  My kids have them in their rooms to this day (survived a move) and I gave one to SteveM when I took him his Fulham shirt and kit for his kid.  I also sent one to the publicity guy for the Cleveland Indians because I thought they would be great for baseball.  

Anyway, when I see those clappers today, I feel more a part of FFC.  I remember the day we were there at the Cottage.  And even better is that I remember that day was followed by the great escape.  I could wax on an on about all the fabulous memories I have about the matches that made the great escape but this is already too long of an answer.   My point is the clappers bring back all those memories.

I think Fulham should bring back the clappers.  They are a cheap way to give fans a momento from the match.  Often it will be a meanliless momento, but sometimes it will mean more than you would ever think a piece of cardboard could.  For me, I dont think a wallet or bobble head or seat cushion would have the same effect as a simple sign saying "come on fulham"/come on you whites"

epsomraver

They should be there for every match, or do as I do, grab a couple on the way out and bring them next time, they are good for atmosphere and they encourage shy fans to applaud the team so adding to the noise and therefore aiding the 12th  man theory, I rest my case.

FC Silver Fox

I thought for a minute you were asking if the Fulham Slappers had gone for good ! 
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

epsomraver

Jimpav

I have voted to bring them back sparingly.

Although the atmosphere and attendances have seen a revival under Roy and Sparky there is room for improvement.

Some of our chants isolate newer fans or are off putting to some fans (Stand up if you hate Chelsea etc). The clappers break down this barrier and also give the tourists and exeuctive types an excuse to put down their cameras and prawn sangers and get involved.

I think Clappers should be used at family days and promotional matches (i.e. Wigan tickets for a fiver) where there are a lot of new faces.

Derby matches and games against the top teams tend to have an atmosphere of their own.

AlFayedsChequebook

I don't see what the problem is with the clappers - if you like them use them, if not, ignore them. Simple.

My personal preference is to use my hands and voice but each to their own.