watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Standing at away games Again

Started by nose returns, September 02, 2018, 02:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nose returns

i went to the game yesterday and for sure there was one thing that was certain, the vast majority wanted to sit but a few people  made that impossible for some selfish, i can do what i want, reason. as a result I could not really see the goal or touch line  at our end and with everybody standing, I saw mitro win the ball, just about enter the penalty area and after that nothing until the cheering started. i could not in any was see his shot, the save or his second attempt JUST because people wee standing.

now I know there are those that want safe standing and if it happens OK, but unless people sit, i often cannot see, the dimwits that insit on standing at the away end really are selfish beyond belief! i am sure they do not care because that is part of the definition of standing. t go all that way and not see our first goal was ludicrous.

gang

I agree with you. One way may be to make the away clubs responsible for the standing fans and impose fines. the fans could also face bans after all it is against the law and until that changes it should be obeyed.

@jolslover

I like to stand at away games. I think it is an age thing. No doubt vast majority of people aged 12-35 want to stand. So to say the vast majority wanted to sit is an incorrect statement.
I think the club should let you choose your seats so that the people who want to sit can go down the front of the stand.
STH H3

Wingnut

I don't mind standing at away games but I understand that it's an issue for certain people. Would it not be feasible for the club to set aside a block of seats for people who would prefer to sit?

Quote from: gang on September 02, 2018, 02:47:01 PM
One way may be to make the away clubs responsible for the standing fans and impose fines.

How would they go about implementing something like that?
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

MJG

Quote from: @jolslover on September 02, 2018, 02:57:57 PM
I like to stand at away games. I think it is an age thing. No doubt vast majority of people aged 12-35 want to stand. So to say the vast majority wanted to sit is an incorrect statement.
I think the club should let you choose your seats so that the people who want to sit can go down the front of the stand.
I made this point on twitter earlier why should someone who wants to sit in a seated area have to take possibly a worse view of the game because those who want to stand in a seated area want to do that?
Just the views of a long term fan

gang

Quote from: Wingnut on September 02, 2018, 03:03:34 PM
I don't mind standing at away games but I understand that it's an issue for certain people. Would it not be feasible for the club to set aside a block of seats for people who would prefer to sit?

Quote from: gang on September 02, 2018, 02:47:01 PM
One way may be to make the away clubs responsible for the standing fans and impose fines.

How would they go about implementing something like that?
[/quote

The clubs are already responsible for the behavior of their fans so fining a club is relatively easy.

Steven Ageroad

Worse still are the people who sit during most of the game then stand up when there is a break away attack! There's a bloke just a few rows in front of me in the JH stand, to the right of where I sit, who does this every match. I've missed a number of Fulham goals when we attack the Putney end.

JoelH5

I stood for the whole game yesterday. Every row in front of us were standing, and the few behind. It's a knock on effect from the front. If you don't stand, you won't see as the people in front are standing. Sure you'll say that I'm therefore saying it's more important I can see than the random person behind me and you'd be right I'm afraid. To me it is.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

New Kid on the Block

I stood for the whole game, but I didn't want to. If I hadn't, I would not have seen the game.

JoelH5

Quote from: New Kid on the Block on September 02, 2018, 04:39:11 PM
I stood for the whole game, but I didn't want to. If I hadn't, I would not have seen the game.

Yes, this is my point exactly
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Thamesbank

Personally think Nose has this the wrong way round , I'd say more people when away want to stand than sit , its a pretty common discussion after games but out of probably 40-50 peeps I've only come across two who preferred sitting (one who's pretty short and one with a dodgy back) , and these aren't youngsters most are in their 50's or like me in their 60's. I'm not very tall but unless there's kids behind me I always prefer to stand.

HillingdonFFC

3000 Fulham there, nearly everyone standing, never heard any sit darrrns

MJG

Quote from: Thamesbank on September 02, 2018, 04:46:08 PM
Personally think Nose has this the wrong way round , I'd say more people when away want to stand than sit , its a pretty common discussion after games but out of probably 40-50 peeps I've only come across two who preferred sitting (one who's pretty short and one with a dodgy back) , and these aren't youngsters most are in their 50's or like me in their 60's. I'm not very tall but unless there's kids behind me I always prefer to stand.
then explain to me why at grounds like Sheff Wed where you have room to move around that when we have been there in recent years more people are sitting than standing?
Just the views of a long term fan

Thamesbank

No idea Mike, 40-50 is a small sample i know but all are pretty regular away travellers.

Also of course if you're spread in a ground out the fear factor might come into play , far easier to throw peeps put for standing if their split up, safety in numbers and all that.

Anyways all my problems about standing are at home games , I'm directly behind the goal and peeps in front stand up if Fulham get in the half let alone actually get close to the goal lol. At least if you're standing up all the time you can look past people no chance of that if they are all bobbing up and down like a Jack in the box.

Walsh

People go to the Football to watch the game and enjoy a good atmosphere and a few beers. Sitting down doesn't generate a good atmosphere. An atmosphere helps the players which is close to impossible to create whilst sitting down.

If it's that much of an issue you can always complain, but the majority of people will prefer to stand and I can't see it changing anytime soon. 

grandad

It should be either standing or sitting, not a bit of both.Don´t get to many Fulham games now I am in Spain. However I get to a few & sit in H4. I suffer with chronic sciatica & get really pissed off every time we get into the final third.Up everyone gets like musical chairs & by the time I manage to get up the play is over. I like the Hammy end as all my old mates are there now but in future will go to the JH Stand in my old ST seat , Block G Row A seat 12.
Where there's a will there's a wife

abfg

Quote from: Walsh on September 02, 2018, 05:20:56 PM
People go to the Football to watch the game and enjoy a good atmosphere and a few beers. Sitting down doesn't generate a good atmosphere. An atmosphere helps the players which is close to impossible to create whilst sitting down.

If it's that much of an issue you can always complain, but the majority of people will prefer to stand and I can't see it changing anytime soon.

Tbh don't include "people" in that list or me and anyone I go with (a mix of young up to old) don't count as people. It's a real shame that yesterday's game enjoyment was hindered by about 50 people at the front of our section forcing many (hundreds) who clearly didn't want to to stand behind them. That isn't most people wanting to stand. It's the opposite. Ultimately it's a problem to solve, I don't agree that standing areas are necessary in a stadium, but I'm starting to think make 20% allowance for standing and chuck anyone out standing in the rest, complete enforcement.

As for the beer part, people can do as they wish but I find it strange that in Britain how much people are unable to enjoy things unless it's with beer/alcohol. Going to the football, few beers and the football. Going to a gig, have a load of drinks, go to the gig. Kid's birthday party etc (sadly not an exaggeration the last one). Whatever it is, people seem unable to enjoy things without beer. I've never understood it. (I'm a drinker btw, just don't mix it with football, because football is about the football and nothing else and I want a clear head).

Twig

Quote from: abfg on September 02, 2018, 05:54:18 PM
Quote from: Walsh on September 02, 2018, 05:20:56 PM

Tbh don't include "people" in that list or me and anyone I go with (a mix of young up to old) don't count as people. It's a real shame that yesterday's game enjoyment was hindered by about 50 people at the front of our section forcing many (hundreds) who clearly didn't want to to stand behind them. That isn't most people wanting to stand. It's the opposite. Ultimately it's a problem to solve, I don't agree that standing areas are necessary in a stadium, but I'm starting to think make 20% allowance for standing and chuck anyone out standing in the rest, complete enforcement.

As for the beer part, people can do as they wish but I find it strange that in Britain how much people are unable to enjoy things unless it's with beer/alcohol. Going to the football, few beers and the football. Going to a gig, have a load of drinks, go to the gig. Kid's birthday party etc (sadly not an exaggeration the last one). Whatever it is, people seem unable to enjoy things without beer. I've never understood it. (I'm a drinker btw, just don't mix it with football, because football is about the football and nothing else and I want a clear head).

Thank goodness, I totally agree with you.  I like a beer but football is about the football.  And allocate a safe standing area with 100% enforcement of seating in the seating areas.

bobbo

Clubs , the police and the FA  need to deal with it, and none of them will. It's extremely difficult for me to stand a whole game. Hence I'm deprived of attending away games. We liv in an I'm alright jack world nowadays ans it's getting worse.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Nasty Neil

I appreciate some people can't stand for an entire game.so to allow those that want to stand then safe standing areas can sort this. But for the fellow who's complaing cos people stand when Fulham attack!! That's incredible why are you even going to a football match?