watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Standing at away games Again

Started by nose returns, September 02, 2018, 02:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulham traveller

What we have hear is a mix of hammy end fans( all want to stand)
Other stands want to sit I don't have the amswer

cheese pie

Quote from: Nasty Neil on September 02, 2018, 08:27:32 PM
I appreciate some people can't stand for an entire game.so to allow those that want to stand then safe standing areas can sort this. But for the fellow who's complaing cos people stand when Fulham attack!! That's incredible why are you even going to a football match?

And then complain when others keep singing at Cottage "this is the library"??

toshes mate

The argument about sitting or standing didn't exist until all seated stadia became the legal requirement for top two tier league clubs.  I can remember the days when you could comfortably sit down on the terracing at Craven Cottage to watch if you really were that tired.  Meanwhile those in seats enjoyed largely unrestricted viewing.  Now that Westminster knows the football authorities feel safe standing is the acceptable and completely safe answer then those complaining about restricted view should not be so quick to object about the last person to stand up and spoil their view because they didn't start the standard domino effect. 

ffc73

Quote from: EastEndWhite on September 02, 2018, 11:44:42 PM
I had intentionally bought a seat towards the front for yesterday's game to try to avoid having to stand.

I always want to be near the back of the stand to get more of an aerial view, standing or sitting. When I buy tickets for away games online there is no option to chose your seat. How did you buy a seat at the front for Brighton?

MikeTheCubed

Personally I much prefer standing but at the same time will always attempt to obtain a ticket as close to the back as possible, and should there be someone small or old-aged behind me I politely ask if they'd like to swap seats. While still not perfect, standing at the back seems to be the most sensible (and realistic) solution in the absence of official safe standing.

In regards to the argument that seats are for sitting on and therefore standing is unacceptable, running on the pitch as many Fulham supporters did after Derby is not only against the rules but a criminal offense, yet I don't believe anyone was prosecuted for it? Not for one moment suggesting that running on the pitch is therefore "okay", it is merely a sign of common sense prevailing.

Mince n Tatties

If you want to sit go to the pictures or the theatre.
Bring back terraces,I'm in my 60's with arthritic knees,it don't bother me to stand for 90 mins,and you can keep warmer in winter...Coyw.

Stevieboy

How did we manage pre knee jerk all seating stadia?
'People' who didn't want to stand sat in the stands. Family enclosures etc.
This 'problem' will not be solved on here no matter how many posts there are, it just comes across as a bunch of miserable old sods......which I know you all aren't.
Sell outs and exciting football do nothing to keep us in our seats, thankfully!!
Personally I would designate the front third of Hammy End as strictly seating, anything behind standing allowed but not compulsory.
I know in this PC age people will say we want to sit where we like....but compromises must be made.
I'm not bothered, jumping up and down can be tiresome as can be standing all game, as can sitting all game and.....as can sitting in front of someone who has the loudest voice and least football knowledge!!

049:gif 049:gif ALWAYS BELIEVING , SITTING OR STANDING !!! 049:gif 049:gif

EastEndWhite

Quote from: FFC73 on September 03, 2018, 08:07:13 AM
I had intentionally bought a seat towards the front for yesterday's game to try to avoid having to stand.

I always want to be near the back of the stand to get more of an aerial view, standing or sitting. When I buy tickets for away games online there is no option to chose your seat. How did you buy a seat at the front for Brighton?

I waited until a row towards the front (H) of the block showed up on the ticketing system.  I have enough loyalty points to be able to buy my ticket when they first go on sale so have the 'luxury' of being able to wait to try to get a seat I want.  Doesn't always work.  I agree that a big part of the problem is not being able to choose your seat when booking online.  If Ticketmaster were able to offer the option for Wembley why can't they do it for other games.  Perhaps it has something to do with the contract Fulham have with Ticketmaster that it's not available?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 03, 2018, 08:44:53 AM
Bring back terraces,I'm in my 60's with arthritic knees,it don't bother me to stand for 90 mins,and you can keep warmer in winter...Coyw.

I wish to sit in the seat I paid for. and nobody should block my view.
Not only do I refuse to take this sitting down, I am not going to stand for it either.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MJG

Quote from: EastEndWhite on September 03, 2018, 11:14:05 AM

I waited until a row towards the front (H) of the block showed up on the ticketing system.  I have enough loyalty points to be able to buy my ticket when they first go on sale so have the 'luxury' of being able to wait to try to get a seat I want.  Doesn't always work.  I agree that a big part of the problem is not being able to choose your seat when booking online.  If Ticketmaster were able to offer the option for Wembley why can't they do it for other games.  Perhaps it has something to do with the contract Fulham have with Ticketmaster that it's not available?
it's the UK software system that TM offer to UK clubs.
Just the views of a long term fan

Steven Ageroad

Quote from: Nasty Neil on September 02, 2018, 08:27:32 PM
I appreciate some people can't stand for an entire game.so to allow those that want to stand then safe standing areas can sort this. But for the fellow who's complaing cos people stand when Fulham attack!! That's incredible why are you even going to a football match?

I complained because I do not want to keep getting up and down like a bloody YoYo during the whole match.

Southcoastffc

Again - the obvious answer to all these viewpoints (pun fully intended) is safe standing areas at grounds.  So, get behind the campaign.  http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/standing/

That said, I don't think things will change in the foreseeable future.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

ffc73

Quote from: MJG on September 03, 2018, 11:28:45 AM
Quote from: EastEndWhite on September 03, 2018, 11:14:05 AM

it's the UK software system that TM offer to UK clubs.

Thanks for this.  All makes sense.  I too have the 'luxury' of being in the first to purchase away tickets, after getting row A for Everton  :031: I may try waiting for future games too

Lighthouse

I well remember in the olden days. When there was standing and The Cottage had the standing Enclosure and I sat down with my elderly Dad and looked forward to the game. Every time the ball appeared to go to the furthest end people would stand up and my Dad would ask me afterwards what happened. In other words. People have always been selfish even when we did have standing areas. People on the whole can be decent but many just think only of themselves and it causes a ripple effect.

So my children remember the wise words of someone who has seen it all. Don't pee in the streets because you cannot be bothered to wait to queue for the toilets after the game and if you stand up in the seated area and block other peoples view. You will be damned for eternity of watching Cardiff play the old Wimbledon and never have to leave your seats again because the ball will spend all its time in the air.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

HV71

That is the answer Lighthouseb- they should all be sent to Cardiff !!! Brilliant !

RaySmith

The Enclosure was my favourite place, after initially when I began following Fulham, standing on the Riverside terracing, always as close as possible to the half-way line, down the front, on the railings.

I liked being so close to the action, and still do, enjoying being in an almost similar place in the Riverside stand, albeit  right next to the Putney End, rather than on the half way line, in the semi-final against Derby last season.

I used to stand in The Enclosure as close to the half way line as possible. This was usually pretty crowded, but like Tosh's Mate, I remember being able to sit down on the terracing  when we dropped into the Thrid Divsion, and crowds became sparse.

My views on seating today? Well, I'm lucky that I'm able to stand for the whole game, and don't mind doing this, even enjoy the atmosphere, though I like to be able to  sit down for a minute or two if I want.

But understandably, those unable to, or not wanting to, stand, don't like having their view obstructed, which can especially be a problem at away games

I don't know what the answer is, if you can't enable fans who want to sit to buy seats near the front, and thse who like to stand to buy seats near the back.

FFCAli

Quote from: Southcoastffc on September 03, 2018, 12:19:47 PM
Again - the obvious answer to all these viewpoints (pun fully intended) is safe standing areas at grounds.  So, get behind the campaign.  http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/standing/

That said, I don't think things will change in the foreseeable future.
The issue of standing for the whole of away matches is one reason I hardly ever go to away games these days.  I'm short and even when standing I can't see much.  The stadia in Germany with safe standing seemed to be much better banked.  Wolfsburg and Hamburg we were meant to sit but didn't and I could see fine.  And although I personally don't want to stand I'm all in favour of safe standing.  I think it's much safer than standing in all seater stadia where it's easy to fall over the seat in front.

Carborundum

For as long as I can remember, home games = comfortable routine, away games = less comfortable, but often quite eventful.  I doubt away games represents more than 10% of my football watching over 40+ years, but would estimate that at least 50% of my most memorable experiences anecdotes etc come from that 10%.  The fact that people stand up more at away games seems just a portion of the overall deal that going to away games represents, comparatively speaking, a small walk on the wild side.

The last away game I went to was at Brentford, with seats for me and the (at that time) vertically challenged lad in the next-to-back row of the upper deck.  Those who know Griffin Park will appreciate that put us five rows from the front!  Standing up in front of us was a bit of a problem, but keeping things in perspective a nearby smoke bomb struck me as considerably more of a problem, but notwithstanding that, some excellent company that night and a well deserved win made it a great deal.

The idea that people are going to sit in the away end is surely just a pipe dream.  Book tickets / don''t book tickets with eyes wide open.  Caveat emptor.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 03, 2018, 11:23:04 AM

I wish to sit in the seat I paid for. and nobody should block my view.
Not only do I refuse to take this sitting down, I am not going to stand for it either.

:005:

abfg

Good game this one. If you want to stand get on a rush hour bus..