watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Standing at away games Again

Started by nose returns, September 02, 2018, 02:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Those who choose to stand are being selfish. The only fans they are inconveniencing are their own team's. If they cannot understand this then why not? If they want to go and swap with someone up at the back. 

092.gif

bog

Quote from: Nasty Neil on September 02, 2018, 08:27:32 PM
I appreciate some people can't stand for an entire game.so to allow those that want to stand then safe standing areas can sort this. But for the fellow who's complaing cos people stand when Fulham attack!! That's incredible why are you even going to a football match?

I jump up when we attack but then it is back down out of respect for those behind me. If they should bring back standing in certain areas great, then all are happy..especially when we win.   :clap_hands: 

David Allen Crankshaw

I sit in the Hammersmith End and it's quite annoying that when we attack this end suddenly people spring up which means we have to follow their lead. You certainly don't get a better view when you stand. I loved standing at the Hammy End sixty years ago but the knees don't work as well nowadays and springing up and down can be quite painful.

nose returns

Quote from: @jolslover on September 02, 2018, 02:57:57 PM
I like to stand at away games. I think it is an age thing. No doubt vast majority of people aged 12-35 want to stand. So to say the vast majority wanted to sit is an incorrect statement.
I think the club should let you choose your seats so that the people who want to sit can go down the front of the stand.

sorry, it is correct. very few wanted to stand especially in the sun. the vast majority wanted to be seated, no doubt and it is not tru young people all want to stand, most do not, it is in fact a very selfish minority that stand and if there are enough of them they became unpleasant if you try to make them sit.

nose returns

Quote from: JoelH5 on September 02, 2018, 04:31:05 PM
I stood for the whole game yesterday. Every row in front of us were standing, and the few behind. It's a knock on effect from the front. If you don't stand, you won't see as the people in front are standing. Sure you'll say that I'm therefore saying it's more important I can see than the random person behind me and you'd be right I'm afraid. To me it is.

i lnpw that, it is the peerson in front standing that means you have to stand.
and as a result, because the ground is designed as it is i missed mitro's goal, even though I was obliged to stand too... because everyone in front of me was.

nose returns

Quote from: Thamesbank on September 02, 2018, 04:46:08 PM
Personally think Nose has this the wrong way round , I'd say more people when away want to stand than sit , its a pretty common discussion after games but out of probably 40-50 peeps I've only come across two who preferred sitting (one who's pretty short and one with a dodgy back) , and these aren't youngsters most are in their 50's or like me in their 60's. I'm not very tall but unless there's kids behind me I always prefer to stand.

that is just not true. I am afraid most of the issue is that most people about 85% want to sit, especially yesterday. no question. when asked the people at th front remained standing and that meant others had to stay sanding. when we are less full at the away ends, and this is quite often, it's about 80 to 85% that sit and a few syanding but because there is a bit of space the standers can congeregate and we can happily shuffle round each other. when full the minority f it up for the rest of us and to prove it, I had to stand and as a result could not see over the heads in front of me and missed mitro's goal completely. ridiculous to defend the indefensible.

nose returns

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on September 02, 2018, 04:50:02 PM
3000 Fulham there, nearly everyone standing, never heard any sit darrrns

actually to the side there was the majority sitting there was aclump standing in the middle because the people at the frint would not sit... and the gang that stands intimidates the rest, and because we were standing, I had to to try and see, I did not see any of mitro's goal because i am not that tall, i saw him turn the defender and approach the penalty area and then nothing until the cheering. how does that make sense, are we saying only tall people are allowed because only the selfish few are aklowed to have their way.

nose returns

Quote from: grandad on September 02, 2018, 05:33:29 PM
It should be either standing or sitting, not a bit of both.Don´t get to many Fulham games now I am in Spain. However I get to a few & sit in H4. I suffer with chronic sciatica & get really pissed off every time we get into the final third.Up everyone gets like musical chairs & by the time I manage to get up the play is over. I like the Hammy end as all my old mates are there now but in future will go to the JH Stand in my old ST seat , Block G Row A seat 12.
if there is to be standing then it has to be that sight lines are acceptable. standing meant i saw nothing of the goal nearest and the touch line off to the left. hence i missed mitro's goal. seated I would have seen the whole thing.... it has to be seated.

nose returns

Quote from: Walsh on September 02, 2018, 05:20:56 PM
People go to the Football to watch the game and enjoy a good atmosphere and a few beers. Sitting down doesn't generate a good atmosphere. An atmosphere helps the players which is close to impossible to create whilst sitting down.

If it's that much of an issue you can always complain, but the majority of people will prefer to stand and I can't see it changing anytime soon.

no it isn't andd with all the respect i can muster, we go to the game to watch the game and because people were standing yesterday, the one thing i was not able to do was see one of the key moments, i missed the entirety of mitroo's goal. if you really cannot keep from standing then you can go for a walk. standing meant i missed the goal, i was standing too. this isn't rocket science. a few selfish people with dubious logic prefer to spoil it for the many than manage to sit down in an adult manner. it is possible to have a beer and sing, seated.

nose returns

Quote from: Nasty Neil on September 02, 2018, 08:27:32 PM
I appreciate some people can't stand for an entire game.so to allow those that want to stand then safe standing areas can sort this. But for the fellow who's complaing cos people stand when Fulham attack!! That's incredible why are you even going to a football match?

i go to a footbll match to watch the game, if you read what I said, even when I stood i could not see our end and missed mitro's goal completely. and actually jumping up just because we are on the attack has always been childish, and i mean really childish. when we score it's a reflex action, we all do it, but when a man starts running down the touch line, there is no need to jump up, it is stupid, and i use the term advisedly, stupid. and i repeat as a result of the standing, which i had to do I missed the goal, and that is a prime reason to go to the gme, to see the action, otherwise I can get hearing about a goal from the radio.

nose returns

I am astonished so many people are defending the indefensible just because they are so selfish.
caps intended
I MISSED THE GOAL WHILST I WAS STANDING BECAUSE THE POEOPLE IN FRONT WERE STANDING, IF WE HAD BEEN SEATED I WOULD HAVE SEEN IT. WE GO TO THE GAME TO SEE THE ACTION. IF YOU WANT TO DRINK BEER AND HAVE AN ATMOSPHERE I AM SURE YOU CAN DO THAT IN A PUB.

I AM ASTONISHED.

thanks for the supportive people.

i hope you are all pleased to have me back on a favoutrite topic. wait till i get to referees.

Samjack

I think standing at away games is the new normal now. If you go on Twitter or other social media things, fans compete over who has the best support and that basically means standing and making as much noise as possible. If you watch games on the tele every fan of every club in the away end is standing. Certainly, every club that comes to the cottage stands the whole 90 minutes. I could be wrong but my guess is that the majority of Fulham fans who go away want to stand and as our fan base gets younger - which has been gradually happening over the last 15 years, even more will stand. I'm not saying it's right but unfortunately for you I think it'll be the same at every away game this season. (No ttrying to wind you up just saying what I think the reality is).

alfie

I left the Hammersmith end because of the continuous up and down, I have dodgy knees and I got to the stage where I just did not get up. I now sit in Putney end and it has been great, but now it is starting to happen there, it won't be worth me going soon.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Kent Cassandra

I must agree, I am 81 years young, supported Fulham for 69 years. In days of standing
the small, young and infirm would stand at the front and everyone stood where they wanted to.
I didn't miss a match home or away all last season and I have been to the two away games this year.
I was talking to her indoors this morning and said that I would not be going to another away match,
I am fit enough to go to away matches and even climb the steep stairs but standing for the whole match
is ruining my enjoyment of the game. Why doesn't someone organise a straw poll at least we would know
the percentages on this site.
Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.

HV71

It is indefensible. You buy a ticket with a seat number- the definition of 'seat' is something made to sit on. By definition not to stand on . It may well be becoming the "norm " like knife crime  is becoming the norm in parts of London and people using their mobiles whilst driving is becoming the norm. This does not make it right and especially when it interferes with the pleasure of others who want to use their expensive seat for the purpose it was intended. Until there is safe standing please sit down  ! If you do stand up at any time do not have the temerity to question someone if they ask you to sit back down  - you are the one in the wrong and your actions are indefensible

Southcoastffc

Whatever people's likes, dislikes, foibles, capabilities and inabilities, the current situation is a mess.  (Some) people WILL stand, some WILL jump up, irrespective of existing laws.  I understand and agree with the FA's support for safe standing areas in grounds, which would at least superficially solve many of the problems alluded to in this thread but I do not believe it will be introduced in my lifetime. Who is the politician who, with no deaths since all seater stadia were introduced, is going to change things and jeopardise that situation?
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: HV71 on September 02, 2018, 10:24:11 PM
It is indefensible. You buy a ticket with a seat number- the definition of 'seat' is something made to sit on. By definition not to stand on . It may well be becoming the "norm " like knife crime  is becoming the norm in parts of London and people using their mobiles whilst driving is becoming the norm. This does not make it right and especially when it interferes with the pleasure of others who want to use their expensive seat for the purpose it was intended. Until there is safe standing please sit down  ! If you do stand up at any time do not have the temerity to question someone if they ask you to sit back down  - you are the one in the wrong and your actions are indefensible

Absolutely, Exactly 100% correct, and 100% common sense.
Why should people who have bought a seat to sit in, are deprived because of the selfish inconsiderate behaviour of others.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

EastEndWhite

It was obvious very early on that the Brighton stewards were going to completely ignore the fact that people were standing. There have been other away games where stewards have been more proactive and at least able to get people sitting down in a significant number of the rows towards the front.  I had intentionally bought a seat towards the front for yesterday's game to try to avoid having to stand.

In addition to posting on here people could consider filling in the Football Supporters' Federation Away Fans Survey to give feedback.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/away-fans-survey-2018-19

nose returns

Quote from: EastEndWhite on September 02, 2018, 11:44:42 PM
It was obvious very early on that the Brighton stewards were going to completely ignore the fact that people were standing. There have been other away games where stewards have been more proactive and at least able to get people sitting down in a significant number of the rows towards the front.  I had intentionally bought a seat towards the front for yesterday's game to try to avoid having to stand.

In addition to posting on here people could consider filling in the Football Supporters' Federation Away Fans Survey to give feedback.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/away-fans-survey-2018-19

thank you i have done it and hope somebody takes notice.

nose returns

Quote from: Southcoastffc on September 02, 2018, 10:29:44 PM
Whatever people's likes, dislikes, foibles, capabilities and inabilities, the current situation is a mess.  (Some) people WILL stand, some WILL jump up, irrespective of existing laws.  I understand and agree with the FA's support for safe standing areas in grounds, which would at least superficially solve many of the problems alluded to in this thread but I do not believe it will be introduced in my lifetime. Who is the politician who, with no deaths since all seater stadia were introduced, is going to change things and jeopardise that situation?

honestly i understand when people occasionaly ju,p up, i am sure we have all done it. but yesterday was ridiculous. the fact the slope in the stand was so shallow just made it impossibke to see when people were standing the whole time. and to be honest I just do not and will never agree that you can only have an atmosphere when standing... that is childish. the best atmospheres we have had at the cottage were...seated! always, even last season.

as you say it is a bit of a mess because for people that do want to stand we should be able to accomodate them. i do not want to spoil there enjoyment, why would I? but i do not want them standing in front of me.

I think I am done now and thank you for al the replies (even the ones I disagree with).