watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Brightons first goal.

Started by The Swan, September 03, 2018, 07:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

A lot of poster blame LeMarchand for his pass to a Brighton player and I agree that was careless.
The player who received the wayward pass then passed it to Glenn Murray who was completely unmarked on the edge of our penalty area.
He went on to score.
When will Fulham defenders realise that a goalscorer like Murray should never be left unmarked in and around our penalty area.
I remember this happening when we played against Brighton when they got promoted Murray was left unmarked again.
I thought that now we have a better class of defender we would be able to spot this.
We would have won on Saturday if we could only defend better.
The Swan

AnOldBrownie

I've only seen 3 full Fulham matches, and I'm a new follower of the team...but unless I'm mistaken the idea is to use the back 4 to help initiate the offense.   As such, MLM and Timbo should both be expected to know how to pass out of the back and still be positionally sound defensively when in the back...and fast enough to track back on defense and not leave the wings exposed.

I know Timbo can do the job.   He lacks experience.   His injuries at Manchester and his moving between FB and CB at CP have slowed his development as a starting caliber RB for a top side, but the potential is there.

He's physical when he needs to be, and his pace is the quickest I've seen of any PL player not named Kyle Walker.

MLM...I have a lot of defensive question marks with him, as I've only seen him play for Fulham and I haven't been impressed.

I've seen Timbo play in 12 EPL games.    3 years ago he was very good against Tottenham ...then he got injured and United ended up giving up 3 goals in a half.    Timbo can be a good starting RB for this team if he can stay healthy and get a good string of games at the same position.

I'm waiting to see what MLM's value is to the club.

VancouverWhite

Captain Hindsight to the rescue!!!

The Rock

4-5 mistakes. Only 2 goals, a wonderful return. Marchand fits right in with the "MOTM display bar one error" player that makes us Fulhamish.

Mawson got lucky doing the same.

They need to gel excuse will work for now.

Who's "Timbo"? Does he know Simba?

love4ffc

Quote from: VancouverWhite on September 03, 2018, 08:55:20 PM

Bit harsh.  Valid points are being made and put forth for thought and debate. 

I have to say, I am definitely on the fence at the moment about MLM.  Especially at LB.  Could see Bryan coming back in to LB.  I know we need to start seeing the same back four so that they can start settling in but, the LB position is still up for grabs in my mind. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

hovewhite

colinwhite

The goal has nothing to do with bad marking.When we play out from the back both full backs take up very wide starting positions (on their respective lines ). it gives the team more space to comfortably avoid the opposition, but leaves you exposed if you give the ball away. Le Marchand pass put our whole defense ,not least our Rb firmly in it. Not a good decision by lemarchand but he, like the others, was following the coaches instructions, we dont mark players when we have the ball,we try to maximise space.
In three seasons of playing in ths way how many goals have we acyually given away? not many i would say.

AnOldBrownie

It's Timothy's nickname with United fans. Not official.

To be honest...I hope Fosu plays wel enough with your team this year that Fulham would want him long term.
Quote from: hovewhite on September 04, 2018, 04:52:42 AM
Timbo??

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

AnOldBrownie

You're about to play against much better attacking squads that  will high press your back line...starting in two weeks with Man City.

You're right that it had nothing to do with bad marking.

Being able to quickly transition from offense to defense immediately after making a passing mistake wasn't displayed by MLM  in two consecutive games.

Hopefully he stops the mistakes or at least gets better at recovering from them.
Quote from: colinwhite on September 04, 2018, 05:55:53 AM
The goal has nothing to do with bad marking.When we play out from the back both full backs take up very wide starting positions (on their respective lines ).

In three seasons of playing in ths way how many goals have we acyually given away? not many i would say.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

General

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on September 03, 2018, 08:28:57 PM
I've only seen 3 full Fulham matches, and I'm a new follower of the team...but unless I'm mistaken the idea is to use the back 4 to help initiate the offense.   As such, MLM and Timbo should both be expected to know how to pass out of the back and still be positionally sound defensively when in the back...and fast enough to track back on defense and not leave the wings exposed.

I know Timbo can do the job.   He lacks experience.   His injuries at Manchester and his moving between FB and CB at CP have slowed his development as a starting caliber RB for a top side, but the potential is there.

He's physical when he needs to be, and his pace is the quickest I've seen of any PL player not named Kyle Walker.

MLM...I have a lot of defensive question marks with him, as I've only seen him play for Fulham and I haven't been impressed.

I've seen Timbo play in 12 EPL games.    3 years ago he was very good against Tottenham ...then he got injured and United ended up giving up 3 goals in a half.    Timbo can be a good starting RB for this team if he can stay healthy and get a good string of games at the same position.

I'm waiting to see what MLM's value is to the club.

I mean that's the ideal scenario.. but that'd be expected from those at the very top of their position globally and even then those players make mistakes.. hence why they're part of teams that concede goals.

It's a merry go round. For me at this level our defence needs improving - but they're all new to one another and the club and so this early on when we've chopped and changed our back five so much it's understandable that we'd concede. Where we're lucky is that 90% of our defence aren't playing in international games and slavisa wants to spend that time drilling them into a tighter defensive unit.

For me Fabri is the only player I had genuine worries about, with a sneaking concern about goals coming through chambers side of defence.

We need to be more disciplined but I expect slavisa will get that figured out. How we cope against man City will be interesting challenge.. not only because we have time to figure out how we want to stop them but because aside from Liverpool they're the most potent attacking lineup.

I don't expect us to get anything from man City... but perhaps last longer than the 70 mins we did against Tottenham. We'll see.

Either way I reckon the khan's will back us where needed in the team in January to ensure we're strengthening.

WindyCity

Quote from: love4ffc on September 04, 2018, 03:17:40 AM
Quote from: VancouverWhite on September 03, 2018, 08:55:20 PM

Bit harsh.  Valid points are being made and put forth for thought and debate. 

I have to say, I am definitely on the fence at the moment about MLM.  Especially at LB.  Could see Bryan coming back in to LB.  I know we need to start seeing the same back four so that they can start settling in but, the LB position is still up for grabs in my mind.

Agreed, quite harsh indeed.  I couldn't believe all the "giveaway" passes made by Fulham players throughout the entire match.  After the Mitro score, nevertheless, it sure looked like a 3 point lock to me.  That said, the giveaways continued and eventually burned.  The Mitro penalty conceded was careless, and a bit of a fluke.  I thought the 2 points lost was a terrible result.  Sure, nice to pick up a point away, but let's hope these two points don't come back to haunt later in the season.  Heck, from a 3 point lock to what could have been a straight loss if not for the earlier penalty saved.  Disappointing result in my world, just too many careless passes/giveaways.

The Swan

The Swan