watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - UEFA Nations League

Started by FulhamKC, September 06, 2018, 02:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamKC

So what are your opinions on this new competition that is set to begin?

Neil D

If I could understand what it's all about I might take more interest.  Sample this 'explanation':

So teams can qualify for 2020 through this format?

They can. There are four 2020 places on offer via the Nations League, one for each league, to be won via play-offs involving the four best-ranked sides in each tier who haven't already qualified via the normal process. If there aren't four unqualified sides left in one tier, the best team from the tier below moves up, although, to be fair to group winners, they will not have to face teams from a higher league.  And there's lots more small print where that came from.

063.gif

davew

Another complete waste of time and money!! I would prefer it if there were no interruptions to the league season.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

FulhamKC

As I understand it, the number of international friendlies has been reduced from 12 to 9 with this competition taking the friendlies' place. And it will be used to determine the last four teams qualifying for the European Championships. Twenty teams (the top 2 from each group) will qualify for the Euros like usual and the last four will qualify from the Nations League playoffs. No more "best 3rd place teams" from Euro qualifying will make the Euro finals.

hovewhite

Less friendlys and competive games gotta be a good thing.

elgreenio

Quote from: hovewhite on September 07, 2018, 09:43:32 AM

tell that to Croatia and Portugal who passed it around between each other for the 2nd half.
The lower leagues should be more exciting but international football is an utter wasteland outside of the world cup and euros in my opinion
touch my camera through the fence

Hoppus

Southcoastffc

As Hovewhite says, fewer pointless friendlies is a good thing. 

This is the clearest explanation I've found so far:

1. All 55 Uefa member associations are divided into four leagues depending on their coefficient.

2. Group A is made up of the 12 best ranked nations, while Group D features the 16 lowest ranked nations.

3. Within those leagues the nations are divided into four groups of three or four. Teams play each other twice, home and away.

4. The winners of the groups in Leagues B, C and D will be promoted, while the bottom-placed sides in A, B and C will be relegated for the next edition.

5. A team's positioning will determine if they are involved in the Nations League play-off if they fail to qualify via the normal European Qualifiers.

6.No team will qualify directly for the 2020 European Championship via the Nations League. Ten qualification groups will run as normal over ten matchdays between March 2019 and November 2019, after the Nations League.   The group winners and runners-up will qualify directly for the 2020 tournament, which is being staged around Europe.

7. The four remaining slots are allocated to the winners of the Nations League play-offs.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Southcoastffc

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Lighthouse

It depends if you like International football. I find everything outside of World Cup qualification pointless. It is just more chance to see poor football with a needlessly complicated league system. I really couldn't care less if we win it or don't get out of the league.  But some love International football. I would prefer a league versus league competition that would mean something. But National teams are so old fashioned and meaningless.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

HanseatUK

I must admit that I watched Germany playing France last night as I wanted to see how the team was responding after the low at the World Cup. While I could not care less about the National League, I suspect that France might have shown up with a weaker team if it were just another friendly match. That is what Germany used to do but it was not on the cards for the them last night after the World Cup disaster.

I realized that there will be another tournament for the top 4 teams next year, which is a major issue for me. I very much hope that Germany will not top their group as I want our players to have a rest in summer. I cannot see who would want to win that trophy as it may do more harm in the long run to your team.

The number of games goes up and up and up and there is less breaks for the top players. Obviously, the issues comes from the money tree called Champions League and the UEFA is trying to expand their revenues by introducing this utterly nonsense competitions for the national teams, which is as useful as the Confederations Cup. Football keeps burning it players just to squeeze more money out of it.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 07, 2018, 10:15:16 AM
It depends if you like International football. I find everything outside of World Cup qualification pointless. It is just more chance to see poor football with a needlessly complicated league system. I really couldn't care less if we win it or don't get out of the league.  But some love International football. I would prefer a league versus league competition that would mean something. But National teams are so old fashioned and meaningless.
I understand that view.  On the other hand it was interesting to hear an ex-player (Ray Parlour I think) say that last night he happened to take a look at the Wales v Ireland match and became utterly transfixed by it.  He cited that game, irrespective of the competition of which it's part, as why he loves football.  And I veer to his view.  I'll watch a park game if it's competitive, because I love football.

Lighthouse

Quote from: Southcoastffc on September 07, 2018, 12:39:44 PM
I understand that view.  On the other hand it was interesting to hear an ex-player (Ray Parlour I think) say that last night he happened to take a look at the Wales v Ireland match and became utterly transfixed by it.  He cited that game, irrespective of the competition of which it's part, as why he loves football.  And I veer to his view.  I'll watch a park game if it's competitive, because I love football.

That is a fair point. I would agree if it didn't take away from the club games. We are without the Prem  because of an invented competition. However I do agree that watching football whoever is playing is entertaining. It is only that we to tend to have too many breaks in the league for Internationals, friendly or otherwise.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

We Are Premier League

It was created for two reasons (I) to ensure that one team with a really poor ranking will qualify to the euro championship (ii) to give a back door qualification to any of the big guns that fail to qualify via the normal groups.

Chesh

Quote from: elgreenio on September 07, 2018, 09:52:42 AM

tell that to Croatia and Portugal who passed it around between each other for the 2nd half.
The lower leagues should be more exciting but international football is an utter wasteland outside of the world cup and euros in my opinion
Portugal v Croatia was not a competitive Nations League game, it was a pure friendly - therefore if it was that poor it probably enhances the need for the Nations League....
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

Neil D

There's more likelihood that the Nations League will offer up some genuinely competitive matches than the usual handbags-at-dawn friendlies.   For that reason alone, I will give it a chance.

elgreenio

Quote from: Chesh on September 07, 2018, 02:10:00 PM
Quote from: elgreenio on September 07, 2018, 09:52:42 AM

Portugal v Croatia was not a competitive Nations League game, it was a pure friendly - therefore if it was that poor it probably enhances the need for the Nations League....

oops, shows how much notice I give international football
touch my camera through the fence

VancouverWhite

Mitro hit a post, hit a crossbar and got pulled down twice in the box, only one of which was called and resulted in Serbia's only goal for a 1-0 win over Lithuania.

Fulham1959

Quote from: Southcoastffc on September 07, 2018, 10:08:58 AM
Quote from: Hoppus on September 07, 2018, 10:00:19 AM
Two goals from Stefan Johansen last night:
https://www.tv2.no/a/10064461/

Don't seem to be able to view that in the UK, but try this instead:  https://www.goalsarena.org/bg/video/european-cups/06-09-2018-norway-2-0-cyprus-uefa-nations-league.html

Thanks.  The free kick placing was a surprise being a left-footer and looked fantastic . . . perhaps only because the goalkeeper anticipated the wrong side.

alfie

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 07, 2018, 12:49:49 PM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on September 07, 2018, 12:39:44 PM

That is a fair point. I would agree if it didn't take away from the club games. We are without the Prem  because of an invented competition. However I do agree that watching football whoever is playing is entertaining. It is only that we to tend to have too many breaks in the league for Internationals, friendly or otherwise.
I would imagine Betts does not feel like that, even if he did not play it's an honour to be selected for your country, whether friendly or competitive. I will always support England, my national pride kicks in.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't