watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Lower League Clubs

Started by RidgeRider, October 08, 2010, 01:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RidgeRider

I was thinking the other day about the clubs in the lower leagues and how little I know about them given, with the exception of the one Championship match we get to see here a week in the States, I never see them play.

Is there a team in the lower leagues you either openly or secretly support and if you can bother, why?

Lighthouse

Now the BBC over here has a round up of news and highlights to the games I have become reconnected to the teams I have watched beat FFC over the years. I always feel a slight bond to the teams I actually went to see on their home turf. Without going through a long list I will stick to just one. Bury was a nice ground. Gigg Lane has been the one and only ground Bury have played in for over a hundred yeats. I remember it was a nice ground with a good atmosphere. Fulham always seemed to lose by the odd goal. But that may be my memory.

So Div 2 Bury I like to keep an eye on. For no other reason than I have been to Gigg Lane on more than one occasion and remember what life was like in the good old days. Or not so good.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Airfix

Godalming Town - if I get a kitchen pass when we're away, you'll find me at Wey Court watching Ryman South Division 1's finest.

You Gs!

AlFayedsChequebook

Always keep an eye out for Oxford United and Nottingham Forest having lived there and been to uni there respectively.

OldBrownShoe

Posh (Peterborough United) who are a ten minute bus ride away and all over our local paper (Peterborough Evening Telegraph) and Morecambe (who we occasionally see. Mrs Shoe comes from Morecambe and her sister/brother-in law and old mum still lives there).  I first saw Peterborough when they were a pretty sensational non-league club, the best. They were drawn to play Fulham at Craven Cottage in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup in Jan 1959. It was a 0-0 played before 31,908 and Posh brought a huge amount of supporters with them.  We won the replay 1-0 at their place before 21,400.  Incidentally that was the season in which we came 2nd gaining promotion to the old 1st Division. I follow their results and reports but never go to see them, I am afraid they are far too expensive.
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

The Equalizer

Having spent so much of my life watching Fulham in the lower divisions, I can't bring myself to support anyone else. Pretty much all of them have been a rival of ours in the past.

Still, I'm always happy to root for the underdog in any match, and I'll be following Northampton's progress in the Carling Cup after they beat Liverpool.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

epsomraver

Sutton United or dear old Bognor Town

WhiteJC

Quote from: epsomraver on October 08, 2010, 03:12:04 PM
Sutton United or dear old Bognor Town

Sutton for me also, until recently my Dad lived in Sunningdale Road (just around the corner from their ground)

epsomraver

I do work for Barry Aplin , a really  nice bloke who is the chairman of Sutton United, just missed promotion last season in the one play off spot

Burt

Notts Forest and Notts County, as I went to uni in Nottingham and went to see both teams occasionally.

Grimsby, as one of my best mates is an avid (or rabid) supporter of theirs and I remember going up there in the 80s when we won 4-2 (or something like that) and having far too much beer than was good for me.

LBNo11

...my old amateur club Hampton (now called Hampton & Richmond Borough - Give us an 'H', give us an 'A' etc., would last 90 minutes for one chant) FC - always follow their results and now and again traipse over to the Beveree.

I am, along with a few people on this MB, a part shareholder in Stockport County, Shady1 got a syndicate together when they were going to the wall - and I will always have a soft spot for the Saddlers, Walsall FC after the support they gave us when the powers that be tried to turn us into Fulham park rangers (eeeuuuggh!).

Apart from that, as Les Barrett and a fair few former Fulham have been involved at Woking FC I still watch out for their results...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Chopper

I always keep an eye out for the results of the teams my mates support. Got a soft spot for a number of teams and always interested in how ex-Fulham players and managers are getting on.

Currently that means Brighton (Mickey Adams and near to my Dad), Derby County (who I hate for '83 in equal measure), Southampton and Port Vale (Mickey Adams again).

Non-league interests include; Chertsey (nearest team), Lewes (near Dad) and Kingstonian (home town).
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

CorkedHat

Stevenage Borough because my two daughters and grandson live there and because it enables me to wind up Leon at every opportunity :wum: Now what league are Hitchin Town in?  :011:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

finnster01

I have a soft spot for Millwall. It is a family club and I like their warm and cuddly fans...

Taxi for the Finnster :red:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Fletchino

The wife supports barnet I make a few apperances there every season I get to see some of the teams I really hate every now and then grimsby for one as they beat us in the play offs

alfie

many years ago i watched a tv prog about the highs and lows of football, needless to say the high was Manure, but then the total opposite end of the scale was little old Darlington, their ground was an absolute horror, ever since then i have had a soft spot for them.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

epsomraver

Quote from: Chopper on October 08, 2010, 04:48:40 PM
I always keep an eye out for the results of the teams my mates support. Got a soft spot for a number of teams and always interested in how ex-Fulham players and managers are getting on.

Currently that means Brighton (Mickey Adams and near to my Dad), Derby County (who I hate for '83 in equal measure), Southampton and Port Vale (Mickey Adams again).

Non-league interests include; Chertsey (nearest team), Lewes (near Dad) and Kingstonian (home town).

Sorry Chopper mate as you will probably know we beat Port Vale 6-0 recently who are managed by said Mickey, he has not been at Brighton for at least two years now.

Chopper

Quote from: epsomraver on October 09, 2010, 03:30:52 PM
Quote from: Chopper on October 08, 2010, 04:48:40 PM

Sorry Chopper mate as you will probably know we beat Port Vale 6-0 recently who are managed by said Mickey, he has not been at Brighton for at least two years now.

Yeah, I meant I've got a soft spot for Brighton because of Adams spell there a while back. They had a lot of ex-FFC players too. Not sure any are left but I still like them. The new stadium is being built on the route I take down to my Dad's too.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

Fletchino

I drove past brightons new ground a few weeks back looks like a mini wembley

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Burt on October 08, 2010, 03:45:45 PM
Notts Forest and Notts County, as I went to uni in Nottingham and went to see both teams occasionally.

Grimsby, as one of my best mates is an avid (or rabid) supporter of theirs and I remember going up there in the 80s when we won 4-2 (or something like that) and having far too much beer than was good for me.

I was at that game, Leroy hatrick  :54: