News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Where do you think FFC will finish this season?

Started by Friendsoffulham, September 16, 2018, 06:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pick where you think FFC will finish

1st - 4th
1 (0.4%)
5th - 8th
3 (1.2%)
9th - 12th
46 (18.9%)
13th - 16th
165 (67.6%)
17th - 20th
22 (9%)
(Undecided)
7 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 242

Voting closed: September 18, 2018, 06:40:46 PM

Friendsoffulham

Given the level of investment this season, and still the lack of defensive quality, where do you think FFC will finish up?

Going foward, we will always score goals, but, defensively, we are still subject to letting in a few.

The aim is to win 12 games, and add a couple of faces in January, so based on this, let us know your thoughts.

Woolly Mammoth

I always thought that the object of the exercise especially when a team reaches the height of the Premier League. To survive, first and foremost make yourselves hard to beat.
Get the defence sorted first, as a unit, with depth, balance and shape.
Give yourselves a foundation, that way more clean sheets will come along, which inevitably means you only have to score one goal to win a game. Which is lot easier than having to score 3 or 4 to win a game.
It can be entertaining to look good going forward, but if your leaking Goals, we are not going to pick up my many points. Whether it's Man City or Watford, there are no easy games.
Picking the right starting line up helps.
But whether we like it or not you have to get the defence organised first, whereas we have done it the other way round it appears. So it is time to concentrate more on being hard to beat, that in itself will breed confidence, especially if we are picking up points.
We can still be flamboyant and play the football, but nobody will survive without a stout defence.
So we need to learn quickly, make ourselves hard to beat in every game, but our home form has to be the key, and scraping for points away, grinding out results, and winning ugly will all help to pick up precious points.
To think otherwise is naive and a recipe for disaster.
So on that basis I have not made my mind up.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

We definitely need to become more solid at the back, but I feel it's still too early to predict how we will do, whether or not Slavisa's admirable footballing philosophy will pay off in terms of  good results against those teams around us, with the occasional top quality scalp, or whether we will struggle.

But obviously yesterday's result is somewhat sobering, though I actually thought we did quite well going forwards, but shot ourselves in the foot, getting closed down and losing possession too many times in midfield and defensive positions.
We wasted a lot of very good play by then  losing possession with a wayward pass, or being tackled, but we have to remember that this was Man City away.

So too early to judge yet, but i feel we could become a  good Prem team, but we need to get our defense sorted out. It can be fine margins at this level.

St Eve

As long as it is 17th or above I am happy. I do however believe that there are 10 teams worse than us so

gezkc

I think we'll improve defensively (we have to really!) so will be  much harder to beat as the season progresses. As things stand, I'll be happy with anything above 17th, but think top half will be well within our reach.

IKnowNothing

Swansea in 2011-12 was the last possession based attacking team I followed from the Championship. They finished 11th. I say we'll do 10th or better. We are building something very special here.

Fernhurst

Still trying to find the bookie that offered 50/1 on Fulham obtaining 44 points or more.

On that basis I will go for 9th to 12th
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: St Eve on September 16, 2018, 07:26:19 PM
As long as it is 17th or above I am happy. I do however believe that there are 10 teams worse than us so
:plus one:
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Twig

I said around 15th before the start of the season and i've seen nothing to change my mind.

YankeeJim

We'll certainly get better. The Prem is really two leagues. The top money boys and the rest. The same 5-6 will be on top and the rest we can compete with successfully.
9-12th
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

The Rock

Wow - went for 13-16, and was going to put 9-12 but didn't want to hex it. Seems most everywhere on here and in general agree. I'd take it!

Woolly Mammoth

We are 11 points behind the leaders already, and that will take some catching up.

Never forget your Roots.

Andy S

SG

The table is already taking shape at the bottom. I fear for us having already conceded the most goals. We need to sort the back 5 out and sharpish. Watford looked good on the tv so I can see us again dropping points. Live in hope but already fear the worst.

Woolly Mammoth

Yes the goals against is a concern, I know we have played Spurs and City away.
But we have conceded in all Five League games.
I can only assume they are concentrating on defensive drills this week, and then make a careful selection on who starts on Saturday, because Watford will be no picnic.

Never forget your Roots.

Syd Cupp

Once Slav finds his defensive line up then i feel we will be OK.
As it seems he's still trying to figure out his best back four.

Chutney

This was always going to be the case, it was clear our defence starting this season was worse than the defence that finished the last, and considering the step up in quality we were bound to struggle.

I think we'll stay up, given that we strengthen our defence in January, going forward we look good.
C O Y W

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Chutney on September 17, 2018, 12:20:29 PM
This was always going to be the case, it was clear our defence starting this season was worse than the defence that finished the last, and considering the step up in quality we were bound to struggle.

I think we'll stay up, given that we strengthen our defence in January, going forward we look good.

Our defence starting this season is certainly not worse than last season though. Mawson better than Kalas, TFM better than Fred. MLM looking decent. Chambers on paper a decent acquisition. The step up in quality is clear but too say our squad isnt better is disingenuous to the recruitment team who played a blinder.

ProfficerFFC

We'll concede over 80 goals this season....and finish 12th.