watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Chas Hodges

Started by Mince n Tatties, September 23, 2018, 09:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

Sad to hear of the passing of one half of Chas n Dave.
74.🎸

grandad

A legend. Makes me a bit depressed when people of my age pass away. RIP Chas.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Fernhurst

RIP Chas, great fella.
Know what Grandad means, it's unnerving, always thought he was younger than me.

Never knew he played piano for Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers one of my absolute favorite groups in the sixties.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bog

I saw a documentary about Chas once and I did not know that he had played in so many groups as a guitarist. One of those so gifted at playing many musical instruments. Will never forget when Eric Clapton joined in with the when Chas and Dave played in a pub setting.  RIP

hovewhite

A brilliant entertainer,and a lovely geezer,watched him regular over the years and fitting chas n Dave released this year the first studio album in years earlier this year.
RIP chas and thanks.

alfie

Saw them when they were support act for Bill Whyman Rithym Kings at the Albert Hall, people around me were having a moan about them a load of rubbish, but those same people were up clapping/cheering when they finished. I reckon most of us would have loved them playing in our local boozers.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

RaySmith

It is a bit 'end of an era' with all these musicians dying.

An  era when Rock  was king, with huge record sales and a vibrant live pub and club  music scene, where bands would learn their trade, with  some very talented musicians and song writers, of whom Chas was definitely  one.

RIP mate.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I went to a charity concert two weeks ago in aid of Lonnie Donegan's grandson age 3 who has a complicated form of autism.
I will not go through the performers who all played with or were inspired by Lonnie Donegan and it was fantastic .
The point of this is that Chas n Dave were on the list of performers and no reason was given for their non appearance. It was in the programme that Chas was inspired by Lonnie Donegan like a good few of the youngsters of those days and I have seen this mentioned in obituaries today.

OK for the sake of you oldies I will tell you that we saw Chas McDevitt, Mike Read, Mike Berry, Vince Eagar, Ralph Mctell (COYW)' Billy Bragg, Lonnie's two sons, Lorrie London,  the Jive Aces, and from America Nora Guthrie daughter of Woodie Guthrie.
Sorry to hijack this quite appropriate thread but I thought that I might stir the memories of the golden oldies among you .

NogoodBoyo

There was a British band in the early seventies called Heads Hands & Feet.  Chas Hodges played bass, banjo, piano, guitar, fiddle (some) and sang some lead.  It was a wonderful band full of talent that veered away from the classic Brit route of blues, r&b, rock and heavy metal.  They are a cult band with Albert Lee (lead guitar) going on to be one of the most respected country/rockabilly guitarist of all times in the US.
Chas Hodges was a huge part of that band and an excellent musician to boot.  Watch his bass technique here in his skinny hippy days.  Hard to recognise the Rockney reincarnation, isn't it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i2XTXf4opM

Nogood "sad day, see" Boyo   

Holders

Thank you, Stoneleigh. Chas and Dave weren't my cup of tea but I still recognise good musicians when I see them.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria