watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

32 Years Ago Today

Started by Friendsoffulham, September 23, 2018, 08:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

Fulham FC were getting tonked 10-0 away to Liverpool in the League Cup.

Were you there? What were your memories from that horrific day?

Did you attend the 2nd leg?

BestOfBrede

I was there 2nd leg - believe we gave them a game but lost 2-3?

ffc73

Yes, I was there.  Could have been worse. I recall they missed a penalty. I was 20 at the time & the worse part was the mikey taking by mates & colleagues in the days after. Develops character 😀

Does not rank as my worst FFC memory but it was a long journey home

I was at the second leg. Maradona on the front of the programme praying🙏 We had not lost our sense of humour. They went 1-0 up in the first minute of that one but we only lost 3-2 that night

ffc73

I think Kevin Hoddy's dream of his debut for us at Anfield turned into a nightmare

Mince n Tatties

Was at the Cottage,Sean Farrell scored a beauty against Grobbelaar.
My Daughter Justine born that same night,(she wasn't due for another 5 weeks)..lol
Now a Vet in Aussie land. 049:gif

Holders

I remember the game but wasn't there. It was embarrassing. Simon Morgan was playing, as I recall.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

bog

I was not there and was out in my car. The coverage then was not as dedicated back then so we had to wait until the results were read out on the wireless or tv news.  I will never forget that when the announcer got to our result he said 'The next scoreline is not a Rugby result....' I said what? Then came 'Liverpool 10 Fulham 0.....' 
Years later I spoke to a Liverpool fan who was there and he claimed the Kop was singing 'Keeper keeper give us a save, give us a save, give us a save....'

092.gif

Russianrob

I was told that at the end of the cottage match the Liverpool players had the decency to clap our players off the pitch.

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 23, 2018, 08:43:34 PM
My Daughter Justine born that same night,(she wasn't due for another 5 weeks)..lol

That was a few years later, that was the 2nd leg after Robbie Fowler scored all five

Southdowns White

Luckily I couldn't get the afternoon off work so went to Camden Palace instead that night, my friend came in and told me we had won 1-0 and I was gutted that I hadn't gone, Much later in the night he told me the real score which for very different reasons didn't make me feel much better.

Vinnieffc

I was there on my only ever visit to Annfield.  We were about  7  down when we started singing We want One..

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on September 23, 2018, 11:30:39 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 23, 2018, 08:43:34 PM

That was a few years later, that was the 2nd leg after Robbie Fowler scored all five

Woops actually was the first game, Fowler scored on his debut & then got 5 in the 2nd leg

F(f)CUK

Not only was I there, but I still carry my train ticket from the day in my wallet.  It is a reminder of where we were.  It looks a little worse for wear but it is still recognisable.

I used to study in Liverpool and I was due to be home for the away tie and in Liverpool for the home tie.  I recall everyone being really upbeat before the game as only a couple of seasons earlier we had taken them to 3 matches.  At 4-0 down at half time people realised that we were going to lose and started singing to lighten the mood.  Our support cheered the 10th as loudly as the Kop.  We were all really quiet on the return train home as the enormity of our humbling sank in.

JDH101

Was not at Anfield but was at the Cottage for the replay as a very excited little boy. Saw all my heroes, and the Liverpool players!

Someone in the crowd shouted out BRUCIE and he turned to the crowd and made a kissing action with his arms.

I can't remember what player it was, but one of the Liverpool boys took my autograph book in the changing room and got all the players to sign it. Quality.

David Allen Crankshaw

Was at Liverpool that fateful day. They seemed to score every time they attacked. Thankfully they didn't score more. Well remember Steve McMahon crashing the ball against the crossbar for that missed penalty. A further trip with a friend was the 5-0 thumping from Robbie Fowler. The highlight from that particular evening was travelling back to Lime Street Station on the top deck of a bus and seeing a group of local fans kicking out the back window of the bus. I haven't visited Liverpool since.

Stevieboy

Didn't McMahon score 4 up there?
Was at the 2nd leg.....but the miracle never happened!!

filham

We shouldn't tempt providence by talking too much about this heavy defeat, we are at Anfield in November and I for one will not try to predict that score, particularly with our defense in it's present shape.

Neil D

I have a memory of a similar beating (9-1) with Pescosolido scoring a cracker.  When was that?

SuffolkWhite

Went to the second game, but remember getting the Piss taken out of me from everyone in my local and even from people who did not like football.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Sir Alec of good Stock

I remember it well.
John Vaughan in goal and, as the ball flew in to his net, we were singing "we're only here for the programmes"