watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Re-Develop Craven Cottage

Started by FulhamStu, September 29, 2018, 07:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamStu

There is a bit of mist starting to gather regarding appointing a developer to build the new Riverside stand.  Ali Mac is telling the FST that they are having trouble finding a company capable of delivering this project....hmmm.  At the same time, our owner is about to secure Wembley for use presumably as a base for American Football in London.

Now, let me state, I personally totally believe that Craven Cottage is NOT under threat as our home, and that Khan is the last person who would want to change that.   HOWEVER.

Surely there is an opportunity here.   If we were to occupy Wembley for a short period of time, we could not only deliver our new Riverside Stand much more quickly, but also re-develop the Hammersmith and Putney ends to standards that match the new Stand.

I know, that this is all massively unlikely but in some ways it makes perfect sense.  We would clearly need to go through a planning process again, but could this be done quick enough to not get in the way of the Riverside, just add to the project without delaying it ?   Could we start the Riverside build whilst developing the plan for Both ends ? I would think the Riverside would need to be constructed first anyway.

Would fans to happy to accept a year or two at Wembley in return for a new Craven Cottage that would be the envy of all our local rivals, esp those that play in blue !

fulhamben

No, just how long would it take to get planning permission and actually get the thing built. Would imagine it would be a lot longer than 2 years
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Samjack

No. I hate Wembley. I don't want to play anywhere but CC. If we *had* to share for a season I would honestly prefer Stamford  bridge to Wembley. But we shouldn't have to share at all. CC only for me.

I Ronic

Chelsea with an average home gate of 40,000 plus have the smallest home gate of the clubs most would consider as a good bet to win something or challenge for a Champions League spot on a regular basis. Obviously a fair percentage of those, would disappear if they started to slide. So would/could it be possible for Craven Cottage to be developed to accommodate that size of crowd?

David I

Any refurb is limited due to:
Not permitted to expand the Putney end as the council will not permit the club to expand any further into Bishops Park.
Hammersmith end on the boundary and not permitted to expand.
Stevenage road... Listed.
Hence why the plan is to rebuild the riverside and fill in the corners.

toshes mate

Khan has already clearly stated that his wish to purchase Wembley is unrelated to his interest in FFC and I believe the FA would have been quick to ensure there was no conflict of interest involved.

But it is an interesting OP all the same and we know what money does in football.  Food for thought, FulhamStu.  Personally speaking I love CC and just wish the plan for the ground development has involved all three sides except Stevenage Road working within the limits of the ground at the Hammersmith and Putney Ends.  Expanding over the river was always likely to be testing problem so far as contractors are concerned.

res

Quote from: FulhamStu on September 29, 2018, 07:58:23 AM
There is a bit of mist starting to gather regarding appointing a developer to build the new Riverside stand.  Ali Mac is telling the FST that they are having trouble finding a company capable of delivering this project....hmmm.  At the same time, our owner is about to secure Wembley for use presumably as a base for American Football in London.

Now, let me state, I personally totally believe that Craven Cottage is NOT under threat as our home, and that Khan is the last person who would want to change that.   HOWEVER.

Surely there is an opportunity here.   If we were to occupy Wembley for a short period of time, we could not only deliver our new Riverside Stand much more quickly, but also re-develop the Hammersmith and Putney ends to standards that match the new Stand.

I know, that this is all massively unlikely but in some ways it makes perfect sense.  We would clearly need to go through a planning process again, but could this be done quick enough to not get in the way of the Riverside, just add to the project without delaying it ?   Could we start the Riverside build whilst developing the plan for Both ends ? I would think the Riverside would need to be constructed first anyway.

Would fans to happy to accept a year or two at Wembley in return for a new Craven Cottage that would be the envy of all our local rivals, esp those that play in blue !

Unfortunately it makes a lot of sense to go elsewhere for a season and let the development take place unhindered by games etc. The development will then be quicker and cheaper. It would probably take 2 years to complete if we stayed at CC, with significantly reduced capacity, while an unhindered development could be done over one season. Where to go for one season...Wembley would be a runner, QPR a "no no" , so possibly Stamford Bridge. I know most don't want to go anywhere (myself included), even for a season, but the logistics seem overwhelming.

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: David I on September 29, 2018, 08:54:59 AM
Any refurb is limited due to:
Not permitted to expand the Putney end as the council will not permit the club to expand any further into Bishops Park.
Hammersmith end on the boundary and not permitted to expand.
Stevenage road... Listed.
Hence why the plan is to rebuild the riverside and fill in the corners.

Both ends could be made bigger without encroachment, architect said Fulham could do something at the Putney end, its the Hammersmith end thats the problem due to affecting sunlight in the nearby apartments

Stevieboy

How would 30k(?) crowds seem in Wembley though, not atmosphere at all.

What if.....and it's a big if...the ground could be developed downwards so like Sunderland you walk in to what is ground level and the magnificent ground is below you. That would show commitment!!

Holders

I may have missed it, or it may have been verbal, but I've not read in any FST stuff about AM finding it difficult to find a contractor. It's hardly a major project.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Andy S

With the Thames being so close.....I think not

Holders

Technical, yes but not major. Anyway, I've seen nothing in FST about a difficulty, just that they hadn't appointed one yet.

Andy S

Its all the diggers and cranes that are the difficulty and ensuring they are safely stowed before matches. It will be a nightmare and could threaten to cost the club double as gate receipts will be affected also

MJG

Quote from: Holders on September 29, 2018, 10:41:45 AM
I may have missed it, or it may have been verbal, but I've not read in any FST stuff about AM finding it difficult to find a contractor. It's hardly a major project.
I think it's more about not being happy with the contractors they have approached rather than actually finding one. I don't know what they are unhappy about, it could be any number of things from money to timescales.
Just the views of a long term fan

Holders

Quote from: MJG on September 29, 2018, 11:17:09 AM
I think it's more about not being happy with the contractors they have approached rather than actually finding one. I don't know what they are unhappy about, it could be any number of things from money to timescales.

Those two factors will probably be linked anyway. It could also be, as suggested, the technicality combined with limited space but all projects have their particular difficulties.

MJG

Quote from: Holders on September 29, 2018, 11:26:54 AM

Those two factors will probably be linked anyway. It could also be, as suggested, the technicality combined with limited space but all projects have their particular difficulties.
having looked at the plans in depth I've always thought it to be incredibly ambitious to build that new stand (or even the old one) while keeping the ground open for football given the tight footprint to work with. I don't know for sure, but I'd not be at all surprised if contractors are saying it can't be done the way we want.

Holders

Quote from: MJG on September 29, 2018, 11:40:55 AM
Quote from: Holders on September 29, 2018, 11:26:54 AM

having looked at the plans in depth I've always thought it to be incredibly ambitious to build that new stand (or even the old one) while keeping the ground open for football given the tight footprint to work with. I don't know for sure, but I'd not be at all surprised if contractors are saying it can't be done the way we want.

There's no doubt that confined space, and the need to keep the pitch clear and clean plus overall ground safety on match days, increases the difficulty and inevitably pushes the price up.

Holders

MJG - The OP suggests that the Putney and Hammersmith ends should be done at the same time. Apart from the planning delays in that suggestion (and no-one would want to compromise the existing PP), do you know if the Riverside design provides for those possible developments in the future?

MJG

Quote from: Holders on September 29, 2018, 11:58:11 AM
MJG - The OP suggests that the Putney and Hammersmith ends should be done at the same time. Apart from the planning delays in that suggestion (and no-one would want to compromise the existing PP), do you know if the Riverside design provides for those possible developments in the future?
In the documentation and also talking to club the plans are to do something at both ends, but nothing designed.
This is the future works image in the planning

Holders

Thanks. I didn't think anything was planned but it's sensible if the new Riverside takes into account the possibility. Best not  to upset the neighbours with too much at once!