watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We can not continue like this

Started by Jimsbeerbelly, October 07, 2018, 03:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimsbeerbelly

Before everyone jumps on me, or, brands as negative, part of the Slav our brigade etc, please read, before passing judgment.

Like Everton, I can't accept that result today, and won't be palmed off with 'Oh it's Arsenal' or 'We simply can't compete with the top 6' because today, in periods, we showed that we can.

What we can't continue with, is a coach, and his coaching staff, who persist in 'experimrnting' every game, and sticking with a 'style' that ends up in a battering every time.

However fans try to play it down, todays result, especially at the Cottage, was an embarrassment, and if Slavisa has the nerve to defend that today, then well, he's more arrogant than I thought.

Yes, we're not blessed with the Premierships most elite squad, but as a team, you defend as a team, and you don't go out and attack the Premierships elite, without accepting the consequences.

If Slavisa does continue like this, with or without the players at his disposal, then I'm pretty sure, he won't be in a job for very much longer.

I'm sick and tired of people constantly blaming the players, yet, as a team, we can't even get the basics right, and that is down to the coach and his staff.

Slav now has an international break, to once again, rally his players, but, a return of less than 6pts from either Cardiff, Huddersfield and Bournemouth, and I'll think you'll find he'll be in very hot water.

Baszab

Agreed
However we were on top first half -
Despite the gaping hole right side of defence
Unlucky to concede second - haven't seen it on telly but should Betts have saved it ?
Then some really amateur tactics - maybe SJ is a bit out of his depth here now

Seeing Kamara at left back summed it up really

JoelH5

Yeah that's exactly it. What does he expect when you try to out attack Arsenal. We could do it in the championship but we're not good enough to in the prem. That's fine but we need to be realistic and setup more defensively.

Time and time again we were left open at the back with people not tracking back, especially Christie. It just isn't going to work. Hopefully such a big defeat will show him this and he'll set us up a bit differently from now on.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Woolly Mammoth

Good observations in all your posts.
There does appear to be tactical naivity, not only today, but in other matches, which is more than a cause for concern.
In the cold light of day, whether we like it or not.
Questions will now be asked as to why over the whole 90 minutes plus, we lost so many battles all over the pitch, and pressure leads to errors, and goals change games.
Not only are we looking at Slavisas ability to turn things round, and any manager in his position will be scrutinised. My feelings are, let's wait until Christmas, because the players have to be asked, are they up for a fight, does it hurt enough when you lose at home in that manner.
So everyone is under review here. Tactics, organisation, preperation, fitness, coaching, motivation, commitment, work rate, spirit etc, etc.
Are all the players willing to play within the framework of the team, are the team talks motivating.
Are the players willing to run through a brick wall for the Manager, and come out fighting on the other side.
By Christmas we will know for sure I would imagine.
Nothing works better than a couple of back to back wins.
The downside of all this, is currently we are the only team in the top flight that has failed to keep a clean sheet.
We currently have the worst goal difference and the worse goals against.
Nobody can deny that, and that is something that cannot continue if we intend to stay out of the bottom three.
I also feel that there are at least 3 teams that we are capable of finishing higher, but it remains to be seen if we can put those words into action.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Deeping_white

For a little bit of context, in our opening 8 fixtures we've played 5 of last seasons top 8 teams. Some people on here seem to expect us to be getting results regardless of who or where we play, and  a lot of the people seem throw the old "why can't we expect us to beat these teams" retort back at us when we try and make the point about managing expectations, so: spurs haven't lost to a promoted side in 38 attempts, winning 35, and we've never beaten Everton away so you can't hold that against this team unless you're willing to slag off every team we've ever sent up there. Therefore that's two games where realistically we were getting nothing.

That makes it 5 from 6 if you discount the two teams who statistically were going to beat us. Then you've got Man City away - they batter everyone and honestly anything there is a massive bonus full stop so again what did people expect. Now when you take out the results that you'd expect us to get hammered in, you're back to parity of a point a game, including the home game against an Arsenal team who've won 8 in a row before today so are bang on form.

We shouldn't just roll over and take any defeat - I hate to see us lose as much as anyone but you've got to look at both sides of the scenario. We could and should be defending better, but as we know we play expansive football and it's central to how we want to play. Before the start of the season nobody wanted us to change style, 99% of supporters lauded how we play and quite rightly too. I know we need to tighten up defensively and strike  a balance between our good attacking play and conceding less, but we need to stop the histrionics and actually evaluate where we after 20% of the season. Just last year should show that we need to stop writing this team off so early into the season. 

Twig

I'm not sure the OP is being entirely fair. I don't know if he was there, but we were excellent in the first half.  The final 35 mins were definitely unacceptable; the first substitution didn't work, players' heads dropped, some looked to be lacking fitness etc.  Everyone has to take part of the blame but let's not forget that for half of the match we looked entirely comfortable plsying at the highest level.

HV71

Quote from: Twig on October 07, 2018, 04:54:57 PM
I'm not sure the OP is being entirely fair. I don't know if he was there, but we were excellent in the first half.  The final 35 mins were definitely unacceptable; the first substitution didn't work, players' heads dropped, some looked to be lacking fitness etc.  Everyone has to take part of the blame but let's not forget that for half of the match we looked entirely comfortable plsying at the highest level.

👍 spot on

Baszab

I thought we were the better team first half and everyone around me was confident going into the 2nd half

That really doesn't compensate for the woeful shambles of tactics and players' positioning in the 2nd half

I can't accept that overall we played well but lost 5-1 !!