watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham to open fencing academy as part of their new £100million stand

Started by DevonFFC, October 12, 2018, 11:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevonFFC

Fulham want to open fencing academy as part of their new £100million stand at Craven Cottage

There are also proposals for a chess club and a Michelin star restaurant as the Cottagers bid to cash in on 'posh'  reputation

FULHAM want to open a fencing academy as part of their new £100million stand at Craven Cottage.

There are also proposals for a chess club and a Michelin star restaurant as the Cottagers bid to cash in on their reputation as English football's poshest team.

Fulham want to open a fencing academy in their new £100m stand
EPA
Fulham want to open a fencing academy in their new £100m stand
US-based owner Shahid Khan has this week been in London overseeing the latest plans for the construction of the plush 8,000-seater project set to replace the existing Riverside Stand, which runs adjacent to the Thames.

Fencing is a popular sport in leafy South West London.

There is a club in Fulham itself, another in Wimbledon and the headquarters of the British Fencing Association is in nearby Chiswick.

Residents living in the well-heeled area surrounding Fulham's cosy stadium have even been spotted fencing in their front GARDENS before matches.

Fulham are in the process of renovating their Riverside Stand

EPA
Fulham are playing on their 'posh' reputation with their new plans
A Fulham insider said: "The club has a reputation for being a bit posh. The owners would prefer to say classy — but why not just make the most of it? It's their unique selling point."

Fencing has fallen on hard times in recent years and could do with a leg up from a high-profile football club, offering premises for training and grooming the stars of tomorrow.

It had its UK Sport funding removed in 2016 and a recent crowd-funding initiative to send a team to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics raised just £170 in the first month.

The chess club proposed for the new stand is designed to help local schoolkids brush up on the intellectual board game, which improves maths and tactical skills.

Fulham 1-5 Arsenal: Alexandre Lacazette scores brilliant brace to set Gunners on their way to a ninth successive win

MORE FULHAM STORIES
Premier League Goals of the Season so far including Sturridge, Ramsey, Sigurdsson and Trippier

Craven Cottage already boasts its own dedicated gin bar in one of the ground's executive boxes.

News of the bold plans for the stadium emerges in the week when Fulham have had to fend off claims they are planning to uproot from their traditional home and move to Wembley.

Khan has been trying to negotiate a £600m purchase of the national stadium, which looks set to end in failure.

But it has not prevented some wild speculation behind Khan's possible motives.

Shahid Khan has been in England lately to discuss plans for the new stand
Some reckon that were a deal to go ahead, Khan — who also owns the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars — could then flog Craven Cottage to turn it into luxury apartments.

He could then move Fulham lock, stock and barrel a dozen miles to North West London. But Fulham have stringently denied the claims and insist they are staying put.

The new Riverside Stand is due to open in a couple of years and will take the overall capacity to 30,000.

Fulham have had to buy the development rights to build some eight metres out into the Thames to enable construction.

Steve Sidwell reveals the 'lightning bolt moment' he came up with his company's name Blousey Baby

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/7483764/fulham-open-fencing-academy/

brightster

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MJG

Of course this will get all the usual piss take headlines and disgust from fans but anyone who's looked at the plans will see that there are rooms which are adaptable and can be used for various things. Part of the planning was the use of facilities on a non matchday, this could just be one of them.
Just the views of a long term fan

Southcoastffc

Probably a result of Slavisa's  verbal declaration that he wants an improvement in defence.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

G_Gribby

Quote from: Southcoastffc on October 13, 2018, 09:03:27 AM
Probably a result of Slavisa's  verbal declaration that he wants an improvement in defence.

Me like  064.gif
Only Sweden has Swedish gooseberries.

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Lighthouse

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

MJG

Just the views of a long term fan

gezkc

This is complete nonsense. Even the following quote from a "Fulham insider" sounds dodgy:

A Fulham insider said: "The club has a reputation for being a bit posh. The owners would prefer to say classy — but why not just make the most of it? It's their unique selling point."

If it was a Fulham insider, why would they say "their" unique selling point? Clearly no-one from the club has commented on this made up story.

Kent Cassandra

Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.

Holders

As opposed to Millwall or West Ham where fencing has a totally different meaning.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

alfie

Quote from: gezkc on October 13, 2018, 11:34:52 AM
This is complete nonsense. Even the following quote from a "Fulham insider" sounds dodgy:

If it was a Fulham insider, why would they say "their" unique selling point? Clearly no-one from the club has commented on this made up story.
How do you know it's made up?
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

gezkc

Quote from: alfie
Hoe do you know it's made up?

Because it's in The Sun.

alfie

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't