https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (11/10/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 11, 2010, 07:19:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Digger on AJ

Monday 11th October 2010

The past few weeks have seen Andrew Johnson make a welcome return to training at Motspur Park. Following a long rehabilitation from a knee injury, Johnson has been gradually working his way back to match fitness as has looked in promising form.

Simon Davies has certainly been impressed with Johnson's displays and is looking forward to seeing his team-mate back in full competitive action soon.

"He's looking sharp," Davies told fulhamfc.com. "I've been talking to AJ a lot because I was out for a long time last season and he was asking me, 'did you feel this tired when you came back?'

"When you first come back in, the adrenalin gets you back training and then you realise how hard that is every day. Then come the games, you can train as much as you want but you need the games, whether they're reserve or First Team games, to get the minutes under your belt and get your confidence back.

"You build up and get your strength and stamina back from that. The main thing is that his knee isn't giving him a problem so if we can get him back fit and firing he'll be like a new signing.

"The Manager wants to try and get behind teams and that's AJ's strength, he loves running the channels and when he's fit, he's as quick as anything. So I think it'll be perfect for him and he'll be another great option to have."

The Whites have made a solid start to the season and still remain unbeaten in the League and Davies hoping to build on those foundations.

"We've got some quite creative players in midfield and when we've clicked into gear, like the first-half at West Ham, I think we've played some really good football. We look a really dangerous team and it's been a shame that we haven't gone on and won a couple more games. But the longer the season goes on, the better I'm sure we'll become."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/October/DaviesonAJ.aspx#ixzz1258lrPbS

White Noise

On The Spot!

Monday 11th October 2010

Thanks to all our supporters who submitted questions for Stephen on Cottage Corner - we picked a few for the Republic of Ireland international to answer on Monday afternoon at the Training Ground...

Stephen, who is the best Kelly...Lorraine, Matthew or you?!

I'm going for me! That's a really random question but I've got to go for myself on that one.

Stephen, who is the biggest joker in the dressing room at Fulham and what is the worst prank you've seen or been involved in during your professional career?

It has to be Bobby [Zamora]. He's loud, always cracking jokes and always shouting! He's great to have around and a proper character.

There are a few pranks that are too bad to say but we used to do stupid things with the mannequins on the training pitch.

Before training whoever had the worst clothing we'd hang them from the mannequin all day. They'd be soaked from the rain sometimes and that was always good fun.

How well does Giovanni Trapattoni communicate with the players on the international team? Are you able to understand him on the training pitch?

He's [Trapattoni] obviously got better over the years. He speaks so many languages anyway. More recently, in the last six months to a year it's been a lot better. He gets his points across and it's never been a problem.

All the players understand him and there's no miscommunication. Our results up until Friday have been really good and we've always played well.

How frustrating has it been to miss out on the internationals?

It's always frustrating missing games – whether it's club or country. Fortunately I'm only out for two weeks so I'm only missing one game for Fulham but I'll miss two games for Ireland.

They're two huge games. The atmosphere was amazing on Friday but we didn't play our best and we weren't at the races. They [Russia] came out of the traps really quick and started well and scored a couple of goals. To be fair we came back and fought hard and made the score look a lot more respectable.

With the results on Friday, it's put us, Slovakia and Russia all on six points. It's a tight group and if we'd have won on Friday we'd of been on nine points and that would have been fantastic – it wasn't to be though and now it's a level field and we've got to make sure we get the results we need.

Do you think it is harder to get scouted in Ireland than in England?

It's definitely harder in Ireland. There would always be a lot of scouts that came to the games to see you play. There are a lot of Irish lads that do go abroad but obviously the scouting network in England is massive.

For me, I was back and forth from the age of twelve. I think the players that are talented will get spotted and I think it's rare that young talent in Ireland will get lost because we are so close to England.

There are a lot closer connections with English clubs now and I doubt there are many young players that slip through the net but there's definitely a bigger scouting network in the England than in Ireland.

Stephen, did you ever play any GAA games growing up and do you like watching them when you can?

I played both Gaelic Football and Hurling. I played Gaelic Football at a really good level and I represented Dublin when I was young.

I also played Hurling, which is getting bigger in Dublin now but it's been more of a country game. I played in a school team but I was more into Gaelic Football.

I watched the Finals this year and the atmosphere back home – there is so much pride and it's so competitive. The stadium where the games are held, Croke Park, produces an amazing atmosphere and it's pretty impressive.

Did you ever consider a career in pop music as you're a handsome young man? If so, what band would you have liked to be in?

I don't know about Pop music. Rock music maybe. I play guitar...

Guitar Hero?

No! I play guitar properly! I've been playing since I was 16 years old since I came over to England. It was a going away present from my mum and dad. I picked it up and have been playing ever since.

I really love music and especially live music. I love the Kings of Leon and the Killers. If I wasn't a footballer a career in a band like that would definitely be interesting!

Stephen, what do you do in your free-time to get some distance from football?

I spend my time with my wife. If I've got some time off she'll try and work her schedule around mine so we can get time together.

We chill out and often just jump on the tube to London. Last weekend we had a couple of days off so we went to watch a musical; we went to a museum and went for a walk along the river in Richmond.

We try and make the most of where we are living. In London there is so much on your doorstep – so much culture and history. It would be a massive shame not to make the most of it and enlighten yourself. I think we've been to all of the museums in London now!

Stephen, what's your favourite meal and do you cook?

I do cook and I'll try anything. My favourite dish is Christmas dinner. I don't know why because I haven't had it for years - actually, my wife made it for me last year but we had it the day before on Christmas Eve.

It's my favourite because it's symbolic and has all the trimmings. You get to enjoy it with your family and it's always a good time. I'm also partial to a filet steak!

I'll cook anything though. I do a good prawn stir fry and even though this sounds quite plain, I make a really nice spicy chicken salad. It's really hot and very good.

Name your top three recommendations for a Fulham fan visiting London or Dublin.

If you're coming to London I think you have to visit the National History Museum. The building itself is spectacular, never mind what's inside it! It's an amazing place.

I definitely recommend a bus tour of London. I know it's not an attraction but if I was coming to London, the first thing I would do is get on an open top bus. There is so much to see and it will show you where to go. It's a great thing to do.

If you like trails and rides then the Millennium Wheel is very exciting. In terms of more cultural stuff the Tate Modern or a show at the Royal Albert Hall is special.

In Dublin, you can't go without visiting the Guinness Factory - sample it straight from the pump!

Dublin is quite small so you can walk everywhere and that is my recommendation. Walk the streets and get a feel for the atmosphere. There is always a good, bubbling vibe around the city.

I'd recommend going to a Gaelic match for the experience. It's a sport you probably wouldn't have seen before and it's very different.

If you go to a football match there are two separate teams and the fans are segregated. In Gaelic it could be Dublin against Cork and all the fans mix together and generally there will be two matches on the same day, so you have four sets of fans watching both games together.

Everyone gets on well and it creates a great atmosphere. It would be different from any other sporting experience you've had before – especially if you're used to watching football.

Who is the best winger you have ever had to defend against?

It has to be Cristiano Ronaldo. He's the best in the world. He's quick; he's strong and can go either way on both feet. When you play against players you know what foot they prefer or what way you want to show them but he's a difficult opponent.

It is great playing against people like him because you do test yourself. He's one of the best in the world so it's a great chance to showcase your ability against a player like that.

If you could captain any world 11, which players, past or present would you include?

I would go for Peter Schmeichel in goal. When I was watching football as a kid he was the best around for a long, long time.

At left back it would have to be Paolo Maldini. At right back myself and at centre back I would go for Franz Beckenbauer and Paul McGrath. I would have loved to have played with him. He's an Irish legend.

I'd stick Cristiano Ronaldo on the left wing and Lionel Messi on the right wing. Centre midfield would be Roy Keane and Zinedine Zidane. Up front it would be Pele and Maradona. That's a very attack-minded team!

Stephen, what was your favourite European moment of last year?

The Juventus game without a doubt. Not many games come close to that. To come back the way we did and play in a game like that was truly amazing.

I think anybody who played in that game would say it was their favourite game. To go one-nil down so early it was crazy to think we would come back and win 4-1against a team of that stature.

For us to show the commitment to get back in the game against a huge world name in football was amazing.

We had a game two or three days later so we couldn't even let it sink in. It's only now; looking back you think what an amazing performance and result.

I think for most people it was the stand out performance of the season throughout football because it was such a spectacle for any neutral. It was a once in a lifetime experience.

What is your favourite film Stephen?

I don't know....everything. It's a horrible question! I can't think of my favourite ever film off-hand. I want to say Goodfellas but that's just a cliché.

I loved the Usual Suspects. The first time I saw that I was blown away because of how complex it was.
I like everything and it's difficult to even pick a genre. The best one I've seen recently that stands out was Inception. That was really good. Little Miss Sunshine was a very good movie too.

I love comedy films and Will Ferrell. I get his sense of humour and the quirkiness. I'm a massive fan of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings but you can't say they're the best movies of all time.

We've heard a few Fulham boys get a bit emotional watching the X Factor and even shed a few tears? Has the X Factor brought you close to tears Stephen?

Not a chance! I can't watch it because it makes me cringe! I have my hands over my face watching it and have to turn away sometimes because it's so cringy.

Who are the best and worst dressed Fulham players?

Bjorn [Helge Riise] has some shocking gear! He's terrible and wears some really dodgy stuff. His runners are bad as well.

The best dressed? AJ always looks quite smart. You can tell he puts some time and effort into it. I'd put myself up there as best dressed but I don't put as much time and effort into it as AJ does – he likes his clothes.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/October/KellyQA.aspx#ixzz1259JgeQC