watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (11/10/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 11, 2010, 07:19:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6437099,00.html?
Schwarzer might still leave
Aussie keeper may yet secure dream move to Gunners

Mark Schwarzer has refused to rule out the possibility of completing a much-touted switch to Arsenal during the January transfer window.

The Fulham goalkeeper was heavily linked with a move to Emirates Stadium over the summer, having made it clear that he wished to join the Gunners.

In the end a deal failed to materialise, with the Cottagers reluctant to part with their first-choice keeper without first finding a replacement.

Arsenal could return in the winter window, though, as Arsene Wenger is still to address his own issues between the sticks.

Schwarzer admits anything is possible, but has hinted that he would welcome the opportunity to test himself at the highest possible level.

Hectic

"Who knows, we will have to wait and see," he told Sky Sports News when asked if he could still end up at Arsenal.

"I'm very happy at Fulham. The supporters have been unbelievable and I've enjoyed every minute.

"It's been a very hectic two months or so and the fans have been great to me. I am enjoying my football again."

Schwarzer added: "I think when you look at the opportunity that was in front of me, I don't think anyone can begrudge me exploring that opportunity.

"The club actually asked me if I was interested in exploring the opportunity, and I was. I'm not getting any younger, unfortunately, and you always want to better yourself."

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6437154,00.html?
Holloway - Murphy must say sorry
Blackpool boss thinks Fulham midfielder is 'a bit out of order'

Blackpool manager Ian Holloway believes Danny Murphy should apologise for his criticism of Blackburn, Wolves and Stoke.

The Fulham midfielder recently poured scorn on the trio of clubs for an approach to matches which was perceived to be overly physical and violent.

Murphy described some tackles as 'ridiculous' and 'brainless' and said managers had to take responsibility, but Holloway does not agree.

He said in his column in The Independent: "Danny Murphy owes a few apologies. I was shocked to read his comments about Blackburn, Stoke and Wolves being too physical and playing the game the wrong way.

"He said those teams are over-zealous in their tackling and have a win-at-all-costs attitude which should be looked at.

"Danny, you are totally wrong and a bit out of order. Teams play in different ways, that is football."

Holloway added: "I think you have to be really careful when you are someone like Danny Murphy, who is still playing and who has never been a manager, to talk about what managers do.

"If I was one of the managers he was talking about I wouldn't be very happy."

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/wolverhampton-wanderers/6437345/Mancienne-denies-Murphy-claim?
Mancienne denies Murphy claim

Michael Mancienne insists Fulham's Danny Murphy was wide of the mark in branding Wolves as an overly-physical side.

The Cottagers midfielder, speaking in the wake of a number of reckless tackles in the Premier League, claimed a number of clubs, including Wolves, Blackburn and Stoke, were responsible for firing their players up and making "ridiculous" and "brainless" challenges.

Mancienne, though, insists that Mick McCarthy has never advised his side to act aggressively against the opposition

He acknowledges that the bad press which continues to follow club captain Karl Henry has hardly helped Wolves' cause, but the England Under-21 international is adamant that no-one ever sets out to intentionally inflict harm on an opponent.

"No, I don't think that's true at all," Mancienne said in The People.

"Joey Barton was never targeted in the Newcastle game, nothing was said like that. Karl Henry likes to put his foot in and that's what he was doing. No-one was targeted at all.

"We have a lot of this talk around us but we do play football at Wolves.

"Karl Henry has been dug out a little bit but sometimes it isn't always his fault. It was a bad challenge against Wigan but the challenge that broke Bobby Zamora's ankle wasn't.

"It is hard to shrug off this image once you are labelled with it. People will always think we just turn up and kick everyone. It doesn't affect our frame of mind. We go into every game with the same mindset.

"Mick would never encourage us not to tackle and be committed. You have to psych yourself up for every game. You have to want it but you have to be calm at the same time. You can be over-psyched but it's important to be calm and we have that in our team."

Meanwhile, having played in a variety of roles for Wolves during three loan spells at Molineux, Mancienne is hoping his domestic performances this season will help to force him back into the senior England fold.

He said: "I got in one senior squad once against Germany but I didn't play. It was disappointing. I've just got to keep on working hard for my club and then if I'm playing well I'll get my opportunities.

"I've played in so many positions but I'm really enjoying holding midfield. I'd rather have versatility in my game and be able to play wherever I'm needed.

"Mick McCarthy has played me at centre-back, holding midfield, centre midfielder and at right-back so as long as I can get in the team I'm happy.

"It gives us confidence when we see a player like Jack Wilshere move up to the senior England team because it shows the gaffer is interested in pushing us through."

WhiteJC

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2010/10/the_serendipity_of_soccer.php?
The Serendipity of Soccer

Recall the clouds of uncertainty that rolled over Craven Cottage last summer when our world class manager announced he was quitting. The fortunes of Fulham and Hodgson's new club have gone in opposite directions since.

Six weeks after that night in Hamburg and with the players 10 days from reporting back for pre-season our talismanic manager jumped ship. Nobody could really blame Roy for accepting the Liverpool ticket. Motivated people need challenges, it's not all about money. What an opportunity to put your stamp on one of England's most famous clubs and work with the likes of Gerrard and Torres. A club where you are wrapped in the aura of Anfield...the Kop, 18 league titles and five European Cups.
A club owned by two clueless Yanks, at war with each other, and the rest of the boardroom, A club carrying a debt approaching £300 million, with the clock at the bank ticking ever louder. Plans for a new stadium have been shelved, fans are seething and marching in the streets. A poor record of transfers from the outgoing manager has undermined the team, big spending on new talent proscribed by financial considerations. Only Martin Samuel of the Mail at the time expressed the down side, the rest of the media worked themselves into a lather over Roy's move north.

Fulham's fate was peripheral to the story. The club got on with their pre-season tour of Sweden managerless, before Martin Jol emerged as the preferred successor. Ajax were not amused, nor Fulham after Jol had a change of heart. Barely two weeks before our first game Mark Hughes took up the reins and set about getting to know the players, while frantically scrambling to add some new blood at the tail end of the transfer window.

And now we move into autumn. Fulham remain unbeaten in the league, the addition of Dembele and Salcido appear to date to be rock solid pieces of business, Mark this weekend gives a long interview in Saturday's Mail which will cheer the heart of every Whites fan, while Liverpool...

As events over Liverpool's fate have unfolded this week I resisted the temptation to blog on the subject. I have been too long in this game to gloat at another side's misfortune. Wither Fulham some years down the line should al-Fayed's surviving family decide they want their money back? I am not going to share in the general schadenfreude at Liverpool's predicament or wish ill of Roy. In fact, I'm cheered to see he has a £3 million pound pay-off clause built into his contract should any new owners seeks to dismiss him. Shrewdly done!

The villians in all this are of course Hicks and Gillett. Why Liverpool fans think things will be any better under Red Sox ownership is to my mind misguided. Ownership of a big name club should be seen as a vanity project, not a 'commercial opportunity,' - a bit like Qatar pouring millions into a bid for the 2022 World Cup. Of course, the Premier League must also take its share of the blame, having with great alacrity already decreed NESV to be ' fit and competent' individuals to take ownership of such an iconic club. How the hell do they know? I'd like to see that research document.

Regular readers will know I have previously blogged on the sick child that is football's broken business model. UEFA recognise the very dangerous precedents being set by billionaire distortions of core values in football. The German Bundesliga hosted a conference in 2009 to outline their own fears, and present the German model for efficient, solvent and well run football clubs. Not surprisingly, fat cats from the EPL told them they were wrong!

There is the very real possibility of Liverpool going into administration this coming Friday and being docked 9 points. The battle rages all next week in the courts, but without a resolution come the 15th the loans will be called in.

Will the Glazer family be the next to see their house of cards crushed by the debt mountain?

WhiteJC

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/football-news/2010/10/09/liverpool-fc-boss-roy-hodgson-needs-time-says-danny-murphy-55578-27442783/?
Liverpool FC boss Roy Hodgson needs time says Danny Murphy

Danny Murphy insists his old Fulham boss Roy Hodgson must be given time to turn around Liverpool FC's season.

Murphy, a former Liverpool midfielder, rates Hodgson highly after the English boss led the Cottagers from the brink of relegation to last season's Europa League final.

Hodgson has struggled early on at Anfield, suffering defeats to Blackpool in the Premier League and Northampton in the Carling Cup, and the possibility of the club being sold to New England Sports Ventures in the next week has heightened speculation surrounding his future just months into the job.

But Murphy has urged the club to show patience towards their manager.

He said: "The way he wants his team to play and the type of tactics and discipline he wants his team to have don't happen overnight.

"Of course the Blackpool and Northampton results were unacceptable. I'm not hiding behind that. All I'm saying is the situation is not dire. The league table is separated by five points from third-bottom to fourth, so there's a long way to go.

"Stay patient, the team has quality in it and the fact is you panic now and, God forbid, got rid of him and brought someone else in, the problems are still there. Give Roy a bit of time and by Christmas see where we are and everyone will be happier."

WhiteJC

http://www.stokecity-mad.co.uk/feat/ed95/murphys_law_could_kill_football_as_we_know_it_568279/index.shtml
Murphy's Law Could Kill Football As We Know It

Rich James gives his reaction to Danny Murphy's short sighted comments this week

So Danny Murphy doesn't like us and how we play then? Well firstly can I say how totally ambivalent I am to his comments.

As professional footballers go, he is hardly a shining example of how players should conduct themselves so why exactly would anyone pay much notice to his views?  They say that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones but as we saw against Fulham recently perhaps Danny simply throws footballs into opponent's faces instead. 

Football has always been a sport that is prone to knee-jerk reactions. In today's media driven environment there will always be a phone-in show or an internet blog that will appeal to the Daily Mail reading, armchair fan. If it's not players behaviour off the pitch or how the "big" clubs are that much more important than anyone else, this plastic breed of football fan is always ready to stick their informed tuppence worth into the mix. Normally the phone-in chat starts with the caller saying "no, unfortunately I couldn't make it to today's game but..." to truly rile the fan who is listening in the car at the start of a 200 mile trek home after an away defeat. 

The facts are that despite Murphy's views and a couple of highly publicised incidents, English football hasn't suddenly turned into a dangerous sport with issues that need addressing. 

Unfortunately Murphy's comments will be lapped up by people who don't attend live football matches and have no idea how conceding an injury time equaliser can literally ruin a proper fan's week and make their home-life horrendous for the following seven days. The worrying thing is that perhaps the footballing authorities are now pandering to the views of satellite T.V. football fans more than the punter who turns up week in, week out. You only have to look at the ridiculous kick-off times and how they affect proper fans for evidence of this shift in power. 

If the people in charge of our great game can be swayed like this then perhaps we have more to worry about Murphy's comments than perhaps we might. It strikes me that the T.V. fan watches football as they would the X Factor. They view it purely as entertainment rather than a way of life. Real fans know that in actual fact football is about 60 minutes of dross punctuated by 30 minutes of sheer delight and we wouldn't have it any other way! 

During those 30 minutes that we all enjoy so much there is of course a fair amount of tackling and without it the game would simply not exist. Obviously there are tackles which go beyond the laws of the game which is why we have a referee and his assistants. If players do break the rules they are punished and rightly so. Sadly players do get injured and it is something that no real fan ever likes to see. However if we want to sterilise football completely so that the only way a player gets injured is when he is leapt on by his own players after scoring a goal preceded by 50 un-challenged passes then football is a sport staring into the abyss. 

People talk about the need for our game to progress and move away from the typical "English mentality" but I have to ask why exactly? Football is much more than the teams who qualify for the Champions League. It is much more than seeing England do well in a major tournament. Football is about the loyal fans of a Rochdale for example who kept turning up despite their team being in the same division for over 30 years and it is about the joy they felt after finally winning promotion last season. 

Real fans know football and know what it is to dedicate a vast chunk of your life to your team. 

They know that the first thing they want to see is their eleven players giving everything for the shirt and making sure that the paying fan knows they are trying their hardest out there. Proper fans know that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the way our game is played. There are plenty of wrongs in English football that need looking at but the occasional bad tackle should not be featuring anywhere near the top of the "to do" list. 

Let us hope that the lunatics don't end up running the asylum and football can continue to be the high octane, pumped- up adrenalin ride that true fans will always want to see.

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-s-Bobby-Zamora-vows-to-beef-up-like-Didier-Drogba-so-he-can-out-muscle-defenders-on-his-return-from-injury-article598283.html
Zamora vows to beef up like Drogba during injury lay-off

Crocked England striker Bobby Zamora aims to out-muscle Didier Drogba on his Premier League return and "bully" defenders even more.

Fulham hitman Zamora, 29, is out until March after breaking his leg in a challenge by Wolves' Karl Henry.

He has accepted Henry's apology over the accident but has deliberately not watched footage of the incident since.

Zamora, who made his international bow in August, is concentrating on his recovery by spending several hours in the gym daily to bulk up like Chelsea's Drogba.

"I will come back stronger," vowed Zamora.

"I will use my time wisely and I am looking forward to my time in the gym now.

"Strength in the game is so important.

"The likes of Didier Drogba are so good when the ball is played up to them and I have tried to install that in my game.

"I was bullying centre halves and want to do it again.

"If just means pushing the likes of Nemanja Vidic a little bit further away to create a bit more space it will be worth it."

Zamora became a father to twin baby girls and signed a new four-year £50,000-a-week contract at Craven Cottage earlier this summer which has cheered him up after his injury.

And he has the incentive of playing for England in future too after recognition from boss Fabio Capello for scoring 19 goals last season.

Zamora added: "Mr Capello seems to be looking for a targetman as he has just called up Kevin Davies.

"He is looking for that sort of player and I would like to give it a go.

"Hopefully I will come back and do what I did before so I will keep working hard."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-s-Bobby-Zamora-vows-to-beef-up-like-Didier-Drogba-so-he-can-out-muscle-defenders-on-his-return-from-injury-article598283.html#ixzz121ruzB80

WhiteJC

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamweb.co.uk/news/Fulham-plan-winter-transfer-targets-Safari-and-Noring.aspx
FULHAM PLAN WINTER TRANSFER TARGETS SAFARI AND NORING

Fulham could be set to make a double Swedish swoop, with Behrang Safari and Viktor Noring in their sights.

The Cottagers are reported to be piecing together their plans for the winter transfer window, with Mark Hughes keen to bolster his ranks.

FC Basel full-back Safari is among those on the Welshman's wish list, with the 25-year-old having been a Fulham target for some time.

Roy Hodgson attempted to take him to Craven Cottage last year, without success, but Basel vice-president Heusler Bernhand expects a second move to be made in January.

"They wanted to buy him last season and, from what I've heard, they are still interested," he told Expressen.

"They wanted to buy him before last season started, but we told them that we weren't interested in selling. That has now changed."

Safari's contract with the Swiss giants is set to expire in June 2011 and Basel are aware that they may need to cash in on the defender in the New Year if they are to avoid losing him for nothing.

Meanwhile, Fulham are also said to be tracking Trelleborg goalkeeper Noring.

The 19-year-old has been tipped for big things and his current employers accept that they will struggle to keep him in Sweden.

"Fulham have been studying Viktor. He will leave sooner or later," Trelleborg chairman Per-Anders Abrahamsson told Expressen.

Dutch giants Ajax are also monitoring Noring's progress and Abrahamsson expects the youngster to follow in the footsteps of former Trelleborg ace Andreas Isaksson in taking on a new challenge in one of Europe's top divisions.

"He will leave us, we know that. Just like Isaksson did," he added.

"We have a back-up if Viktor does leave us, but I don't want to speculate on when that might be."

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Blackburn-boss-Sam-Allardyce-has-hit-back-in-the-row-over-aggressive-tackling-article598351.html
Big Sam bites back in "aggressive tackling" row

Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce has hit back in the row over aggressive tackling in the Premier League.

Allardyce's side were among the teams criticised by Fulham skipper Danny Murphy for being too physical.

But the Rovers boss said: "When you get one not-so-good tackle it is highlighted so much.

"You can get four different angles and slow it down which makes it look that much worse.

"If there are fewer of them we highlight them more and there is a little bit more outrage.

"The collision speed means the impact is that much greater, not so much the impact on the injury but the look of the tackle looks so much more volatile than it is.

"I don't agree with what most people are saying, players are well behaved and make life good for the referee in the majority of times.

"I think it is over the top to say it needs to be stamped out. There are far fewer incidents than five or six years ago in the Premier League."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Blackburn-boss-Sam-Allardyce-has-hit-back-in-the-row-over-aggressive-tackling-article598351.html#ixzz121u3rCKk

WhiteJC

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/10/11/fulham-boss-backs-international-break-64767-27446837/?
Fulham boss backs international break

MOST Premiership managers hate it - but Fulham boss Mark Hughes has given his blessing to the international break.

Far from decrying the possibility of the likes of Brede Hangeland, Aaron Hughes or six of his other key players returning crocked from European Championship games, Sparky can see the positive side of the current arrangement.

Having games due to be played on Fridays and Tuesdays is a lot better than fixture schedules of the past, according to the Whites boss.

He said: "The frustration for managers in the past was you would have them travelling Thursday, back on Friday recovering from all of this, and pitch them into a Premiership game on Saturday."

"It doesn't seem much when it's just 24 hours' difference - but having them back on Thursday gives you two working days to prepare them for the next weekend after they return."

For all that, Hughes, like his Premiership brethren on the touchlines, is praying there is no over-zealous international colleague willing to risk injury to a Fulham player.

The Fulham manager said: "Someone might pick up a slight injury in the first game, and there's always a worry they'll be asked to play in the second that compromises them."

And the former Wales boss is standing by to do a mind job on those flying the flag for their country who were on the wrong end of a defeat.

He added: "Sometimes you can benefit from the breaks in that if some of the guys have had big international wins they're on a high - but the reverse is also true.

"My job and my coaches' job is to pick players up if they've also had a shattering defeat."

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6438497,00.html?
Eriksson sets sights on Stoor
New Leicester boss targets compatriot

Fredrik Stoor could become Sven-Goran Eriksson's first signing as Leicester manager.

The Swedish defender is eager for first-team football having seldom featured for Fulham and Eriksson is interested in bringing his compatriot to the Walkers Stadium, initially on loan.

Since making a £2.2million move from Rosenborg after Euro 2008, Stoor has made just 10 appearances for the Cottagers.

The 26-year-old went on loan to Derby last season and played 11 league games for Leicester's Championship rivals.

Although Stoor is happy in London, he made it clear this summer that he wants to leave Fulham. But despite being unable to guarantee him regular football, the Premier League club wanted to keep Stoor on their books.

Loan links

The Cottagers were hoping to loan Stoor to Sheffield United earlier this season, while Greek side PAOK Tessaloniki were also mentioned, but he has now emerged as a target for Leicester along with Reading's Liam Rosenior, 26.

"We will see what happens," Stoor's agent, Per Jonsson, told Expressen.

"Fredrik likes it in England and London. But we'll keep our eyes open for different alternatives.

"Fredrik, of course, wants to play games and get better - everyone can understand that."

Eriksson could secure Stoor's services on a loan move now then tie up a permanent move in the January transfer window.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham-striker-zamora-wants-bully-vidic-1173641?
Fulham striker Zamora wants to bully Vidic

Fulham striker Bobby Zamora is spending his rehab in the gym.

Zamora, 29, is out until March after breaking his leg in a challenge by Wolves' Karl Henry.

He has accepted Henry's apology over the accident but has deliberately not watched footage of the incident since.

Zamora, who made his international bow in August, is concentrating on his recovery by spending several hours in the gym daily to bulk up like Chelsea's Drogba.

"I will come back stronger," vowed Zamora.

"I will use my time wisely and I am looking forward to my time in the gym now.

"Strength in the game is so important.

"The likes of Didier Drogba are so good when the ball is played up to them and I have tried to install that in my game.

"I was bullying centre halves and want to do it again.

"If just means pushing the likes of Nemanja Vidic a little bit further away to create a bit more space it will be worth it."

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/44988/Coates_defends_Potters_approach.aspx?
Coates defends Potters' approach

Stoke City chairman Peter Coates has angrily hit back at Fulham midfielder Danny Murphy for suggesting that the Potters have an overly-physical approach to the game.

Murphy accused City, Blackburn Rovers and Wolves of being over-zealous with their tackling, a view which clearly infuriated Coates.

He told The Sentinel: "There's a lot of nonsense talked about this. We don't condone bad tackles, nor I think do other clubs.

"We are a strong team, we are competitive and we are fair. That is as it should be."

Of Andy Wilkinson's booking for a late challenge on Cottagers forward Moussa Dembele last month, Coates added: "It was a poor late tackle and we were disappointed with Andy. He was reprimanded by our coaching staff and we apologised.

"Danny Murphy, by the way, got booked for aggressive behaviour in that game. It does make you wonder about players opening their mouths about incidents, because these things happen.

"He himself is a pretty competitive player.

"I bothered to look at his record and he's got three red cards and 65 yellows, so he's not a shrinking violet."

WhiteJC

http://soccerlens.com/harry-redknapp-and-danny-murphy-misguided-or-malicious/57829/?
Harry Redknapp and Danny Murphy: Misguided or Malicious?

Within the space of a couple of days, both Harry Redknapp and Danny Murphy issued extensive comments about two of the hottest topics concerning the English footballing world at the moment, the financial situation at Liverpool and dangerous tackling respectively. But were those comments genuine attempts at voicing their opinions or just misguided attempts at something else completely?

There are no two ways about it; both football professionals certainly upset a lot of people with their comments this week, Redknapp especially. The situation at Liverpool FC is one of the biggest tragedies ever to hit the sporting world never mind English football alone.

Whilst Danny Murphy, the Fulham captain, also spoke out about the state of the game today and how tackling was destroying the game. He ever went as far as to suggest that certain managers sent their players out onto the pitch in such an aggressive mindset that bad tackles were inevitable.

There is a small link between Redknapp's and Murphy's comments, but we'll come back to those later.

To say that Harry Redknapp upset a few people would be a bit of an understatement.

For a start, the headline chosen by The Sun for Redknapp's column was incendiary to a fan-base that already has a long standing grudge against the paper." I was never going to win Redknapp many friends, especially in Liverpool and especially when you consider the city's long running feud with the paper.

On April 19 1989 The Sun newspaper ran with its infamous headline "The Truth" in which it described what happened on that fateful day in Hillsborough four days previous.

It was a headline that disgusted millions of people across the country and which was found to be completely baseless in the fullness of time. The slur on the people of Liverpool had a galvanising effect across the City and sales of the paper were reduced from over 300,000 to just 8,000 per day as citizens of the city spoke out in the most dignified of ways. Since then the paper has become known as "The Scum" on Merseyside.

It is in this backdrop of hatred for the newspaper that Redknapp's choice of words and amazingly his choice to voice out his opinion on the matter caused almost everyone to miss out on his intended message.

His column started well, with Redknapp saying that anyone who would be interested in owning a football club was out of their mind. Few would disagree.

However, the decision to say "I have utmost sympathy for the Reds' owners, George Gillett and Tom Hicks" was nothing short of amazing. On paper, if you knew nothing of the situation at Liverpool and saw the owners being pilloried for pouring £144 million into the club, you would have agreed with him.

But the fullness of time has shown us that Hicks and Gillett had no other reason than buying Liverpool other than to make a quick profit and move on. They came into the club in 2007 with the intention of patching it up and moving it on for a profit, nothing more and nothing less.

Unfortunately, the world economy collapsed in the mean time and they were unable to clear their loans, which have plunged one of the jewels of European football into becoming a potential relegation candidate.

Hicks and Gillett have grossly mismanaged the club, for Redknapp to say he is sorry is the Spurs manager missing the point completely.

He went on to say that Hicks and Gillett could not be blamed for players under performing. Again, on paper, there is very little wrong with this statement but everyone knows that if things are not right at the top in an organisation then they won't be right anywhere else.

The nub of the article, by which stage many had already decided that the paper would be tomorrows chip paper, was to be found in the second half of the column.

It can be summed up perfectly by this quote "Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson should not be sacked."

The column was Redknapp's attempt at supporting his friend and colleague Roy Hodgson. Why he chose to mix up that message with his comments on Hicks and Gillett was poor decision making to say the least.

That same day, October 7, Danny Murphy was speaking at the annual Leaders of Football conference in London.

Dangerous tackling is at the forefront of the football world at the moment and the Fulham captain was asked to voice his opinion on the matter.

Murphy called some tackles "ridiculous" and "brainless", and went on to say that managers have to take responsibility for their players.

"Your manager dictates what your players do and how you behave," he said.

"You get managers who are sending their teams out to stop other teams playing, which is happening more and more – the Stokes, Blackburn's, Wolves. They can say it's effective and they have got to win games but the fact is the managers are sending out their players so pumped up there is inevitably going to be problems. Every ship has a captain and that's the manager who is in charge."

There is a lot of truth to what Murphy says, however, in naming three particular teams and insinuating that Mick McCarthy, Tony Pulis, and Sam Allardyce purposely send out players to rough up opponents he is completely wrong.

One of the greatest aspects of football is that it is a game that can be played in a variety of ways. The game can be adapted to suit players of every size and skill level.

In short, not every team has the capacity or budget to play flowing football like Barcelona, Arsenal, or even Spurs.

Clubs like Wolves for instance operate at a budget far lower than the likes of the Gunners. Last year Arsenal spent around £90 million on wages. That kind of spend attracts the best players. Mick McCarthy's spent around £25 million.

That is not to say that Wolves should not play football, but it must be taken into account that they cannot compete with the likes of Arsene Wenger's side for the best technical players on the planet. Their tactics reflect this fundamental difference in pocket depth.

Again the nub of Murphy's comments is left to the end.

"If you have a manager like Roy Hodgson in charge you don't get discipline problems," he said. "If you have a manager that's in control of the team and doesn't allow these type of things to go on then you are going to have a more disciplined team.

"I'm not saying tackling is a bad thing but we want to watch the best players on the pitch. Under Roy Hodgson at Fulham we were always top of the fair play league because he wouldn't accept talking back to the referee and he wouldn't accept stupid tackles."

Speaking out in support of Roy Hodgson...

There is little to doubt that the current Liverpool manager is hanging on to his job by the skin of his teeth.

Both Redknapp and his former player, Murphy, have chosen to speak out in favour of the embattled Hodgson. However, in the future they must choose the time and moment better.

Their messages of support were lost amidst much gnashing of teeth and general unhappiness at their other comments. Redknapp has now become public enemy number three for many red wearing fans on Merseyside while Murphy has done his cause no good by basically trying to name and shame managers.

I guess you could call it Harry's Law, although Murphy's Law seems more apt somehow.

Read more: http://soccerlens.com/harry-redknapp-and-danny-murphy-misguided-or-malicious/57829/?#ixzz122fW4OPE

WhiteJC

http://sport.virginmedia.com/football/article/2010/10/11/lma_unimpressed_by_murphy_comments?
LMA unimpressed by Murphy comments

League managers' chiefs have blasted Danny Murphy for singling out certain managers he claims are sending out players too "pumped up", saying the Fulham skipper's comments were inappropriate.

Murphy criticised reckless tackling by some players and pointed the finger at the approach favoured by managers at three clubs - Stoke, Blackburn and Wolves.

He was speaking after a rash of bad challenges this season - including one by Wolves' Karl Henry that broke Fulham striker Bobby Zamora's leg.

A statement from the League Managers' Association insisted such violent tackles were not encouraged by coaches and indicated Murphy should not have spoken out.

The statement said: "It is inappropriate for individuals to direct criticism at certain managers who are honest, professional and continue to achieve success on the field with their clubs.

"The accomplishments of the managers mentioned should be applauded rather than publicly judged. Professional football managers certainly do not incite their players to go out and cause injury to fellow professionals. Two of the three clubs mentioned have yet to receive a red card in the Barclays Premier League this season."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/10/11/fulham-boss-mark-hughes-takes-positives-from-international-break-82029-27447140/?
Fulham boss Mark Hughes takes positives from international break

MOST Premiership managers hate it - but Fulham boss Mark Hughes has given his blessing to the international break.

Far from decrying the possibility of the likes of Brede Hangeland, Aaron Hughes or six of his other key players returning crocked from European Championship games, Sparky can see the positive side of the current arrangement.

Having games due to be played Fridays and Tuesdays is a lot better than fixture schedules of the past, according to the Whites boss.

He said: "The frustration for managers in the past was you would have them travelling Thursday, back on Friday recovering from all of this, and pitch them into a Premiership game on Saturday.

"It doesn't seem much when it's just 24 hours' difference - but having them back on Thursday gives you two working days to

prepare them for the next weekend after they return."

For all that, Hughes, like his Premiership brethren on the touchlines, is praying there is no over-zealous international colleague willing to risk injury to a Fulham player.

The Fulham manager said: "Someone might pick up a slight injury in the first game, and there's always a worry they'll be asked to play in the second that compromises them."

And the former Wales boss is standing by to do a mind job on those flying the flag for their country who were on the wrong end of a defeat.

He added: "Sometimes you can benefit from the breaks in that if some of the guys have had big international wins they're on a high - but the reverse is also true.

"My job and my coaches' job is to pick players up if they've also had a shattering defeat."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/10/11/fulham-boss-mark-hughes-takes-positives-from-international-break-82029-27447140/?#ixzz1238OEUXm

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11701_6438759,00.html?
Murphy comments irk LMA
Fulham midfielder criticised for speaking out against rash tackles

The League Managers' Association have slammed Danny Murphy for publicly criticising certain clubs.

In the wake of a number of rash tackles in the Premier League, Fulham midfielder Murphyclaimed that some bosses send their players out too 'pumped up', leading to inevitable consequences.

He signalled out Wolves, Blackburn and Stoke as examples of clubs who are overly physical in their approach, leading to reckless challenges and serious injuries.

Murphy's comments have not gone down well with the LMA, with the Cottagers skipper deemed to have crossed the line.

Manager chiefs insist that no coach actively encourages his players to adopt a violent approach and are disappointed that Murphy has chosen to speak out on the matter.

A statement released by the LMA read: "It is inappropriate for individuals to direct criticism at certain managers who are honest, professional and continue to achieve success on the field with their clubs.

Judged

"The accomplishments of the managers mentioned should be applauded rather than publicly judged.

"Professional football managers certainly do not incite their players to go out and cause injury to fellow professionals.

"Two of the three clubs mentioned (Blackburn and Stoke) have yet to receive a red card in the Barclays Premier League this season."

The LMA feel the pace of the modern game is to blame for the increase in mistimed tackles, not managers encouraging their players to bend the rules.

"Mistimed tackles by fractions of a second will happen and with that will be a potential risk of impact or injury but in no way does it follow that the actions are either deliberate or encouraged," added the statement.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/10/11/win-fulham-v-tottenham-hotspur-tickets-82029-27447249/
Win Fulham v Tottenham Hotspur tickets!

FANCY watching Fulham take on Spurs for free next week? Well, now is your chance.

Thanks to Air Malta, the official European airline partner of Fulham FC, you and a friend have the chance to win one of two pairs of tickets for one of the most eagerly awaited games on the London calendar.

The winners will get the chance to watch the action from the Putney End of Fulham's Craven Cottage home on Saturday, October 16.

Alternatively, if football isn't your thing, why not take the chance to soak up the Maltese sun.

Just three hours away by air, Malta offers 7,000 years of history, an array of bars and restaurants and mild winter  temperatures - all of which can be explored in a weekend. Interested?

Well, Air Malta is now offering return flights from Heathrow and Gatwick from just £99 return, including taxes and charges, a hot meal, a 20kg baggage allowance and in-flight entertainment.

For more details, visit www.airmalta.com - your one stop Malta shop.

For your chance to win the tickets, just answer the following question: From which two London airports does Air Malta fly?

Go to our Facebook page Fulham FC News, make sure you have clicked on the 'like' button and then post your answer.

The closing date is noon on Wednesday, October 13. The group sports editor's decision is final. Normal TMS competition rules apply.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/10/11/win-fulham-v-tottenham-hotspur-tickets-82029-27447249/#ixzz123qQAHxR

WhiteJC

http://www.footballfancast.com/2010/10/football-blogs/does-murphys-law-add-up
DOES MURPHY'S LAW ADD UP?

The Premier League is a league which has prided itself on its physicality but recently, that physicality has threatened to descend into downright violence.

In recent weeks, the league has seen a wave of reckless challenges that have come in for strong criticism from fans and media alike. In the centre of the storm are Wolves and Manchester City midfielders Karl Henry and Nigel de Jong who have developed something of a reputation for their hyper-aggressive style of play.

But who is to blame for this malaise that is blighting our game? Danny Murphy seemingly has the answer.

The Fulham captain has laid the blame squarely at the manager's feet and singled out a handful of teams for particular consideration.

Speaking at the Leaders in Football conference at Stamford Bridge, Murphy said that "your manager dictates what the players do, and how you behave". He then goes on to mention specific teams who adopt a rather more physical approach to the game which "inevitably [leads] to problems".

"You get managers who are sending their teams out to stop other sides playing which is happening more and more — the Stokes, Blackburns, Wolves. They can say it's effective and they have got to win games but the fact is their players are so pumped up, there is inevitably going to be problems."

Murphy's accusations are nothing new to the aforementioned clubs but they are fresh in the mind for the Fulham player. He has seen reckless challenges from Wolves' Karl Henry and Stoke's Andy Wilkinson injure strikers Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele. He has also seen Blackburn's overt physicality earn them a draw at Ewood Park when El-Hadji Diouf blocked Mark Schwarzer for Blackburn's opening goal.

But is Murphy right to blame the managers? I'm not sure that he is.

The Premier League is a fiercely competitive league in which it is difficult for any team to get a result. While the top teams are able to recruit a host of technically skilled players to their ranks, the less wealthy have to try and level the playing field somehow. In order to do that, they have to adopt a more physical approach to the beautiful game.

Managers are responsible for the conveying of team instructions to the players and in Stoke, Blackburn and Wolves' case, there is little doubt that that message is one of physicality. However, the responsibility of executing those instructions falls entirely onto the players on the pitch. It is highly doubtful that managers would deliberately ask their players to injure an opposition player. So if a player crosses the line from good, hard physical play into reckless abandon, they only have themselves to blame.

It is easy to blame the managers for the recklessness of the players. After all, they are the public face of their football club. But the players themselves need to accept responsibilities for their actions; something that Karl Henry has done recently following his red card against Wigan. His admission of responsibility comes as a welcome riposte in the wake of managers and pundits trying to defend their actions by saying "he's not that type of player".

To his credit, Wolves boss Mick McCarthy, who had previously defended Henry's actions gave a frank appraisal of his midfielder's conduct. He said he had "no argument" with the red card and that Henry's actions were "ill-judged" and "mistimed".

Hopefully, this marks the beginning of a system of accountability that has previously been lacking when it comes to controversial tackles. Maybe then will we know the truth behind the tackles.